Steps for iPhone upgrade swap with someone else's upgrade

Teacher

Steps for iPhone upgrade swap with someone else's upgrade

So it's obvious that you can do an upgrade swap with someone else that is eligible in your family plan and you are not. My questions is: what is the exact procedure? For those that have actually done this (maybe with the iPhone 3G last year), are these the steps to follow?

Step 1: Use your spouse's upgrade to buy the phone at $199.

Step 2: Activate your spouse's phone.

Step 3: Go to AT&T store and have them swap your plans. This probably includes swapping SIM cards then switching the data plans.

My question is, is Step 2 necessary? Do you have to activate your spouse's phone? Or when you get the iPhone, can you just pop your own SIM card instead?

Logically, I'm thinking you indeed have to complete Step 2 because that's how the new 2 year activation plan is put on your spouse's phone number.

Anyone that has done this know for sure? Thanks. 

Message 1 of 16 (38,640 Views)
Scholar

Re: Steps for iPhone upgrade swap with someone else's upgrade

Yes please someone post the steps if you've done this before. I'll be using my brother's upgrade to purchase my iPhone 3GS but want to keep my same phone number.
Message 2 of 16 (38,626 Views)
Contributor

I have 3 phones on my wireless plan and we use each other's upgrades all of the time. All you do is go in to AT&T and tell them which phone you want, that you want to use X phones upgrade but you want it on X number. They never have a problem with that. I am about to to it next month when one of my lines is eligible so I can get the 3GS.

Message 3 of 16 (38,570 Views)
Teacher

My wife has been due for an upgrade, so I used her upgrade to get the $299 32gig 3GS. the guy in the ATT store acted like they do it all the time.
Message 4 of 16 (38,551 Views)
Teacher

My question still remains: is Step 2 needed? Do I have to first activate the phone first on my spouces line? Or can I just pop my SIM card in and go from there?

Calling AT&T doesn't work because 5 CS representatives will give you 5 different answers.

I'm looking for someone that has done this before (maybe laster year for the 3G) and specifically outlining what the process was. I'm in the mind set that the customers always know more than the AT&T employees. Therefore, if I know how the process works, I can go in and out of the AT&T more smoothly.

Thanks. 

Message 5 of 16 (38,392 Views)
Teacher

I used my wife's upgrade at the ATT store to get the $299 32Gig 3G S on June 10th. My 3G was not due for upgrade until 8/2009. Now that ATT has allowed those with upgrades due in July, August, and September the best pricing, will I be allowed to reverse the upgrade on my wife's phone, and just use my present 3G's upgrade when I pick up the phone Friday morning?
Message 6 of 16 (26,734 Views)
Tutor

So you are saying that I have to go ATT store to get this deal sorted out? The lady from ATT on the phone said I wouldnt have to, I could just put my 3G SIM into the phone and then call and cancel the Data plan on the other one. 

Basically I used my fathers upgrade. He wants to keep his RAZR and then he will use my upgrade in a few months. I would rather not go to the ATT store and have them screw this up, because they have done it many times before.  

Message 7 of 16 (26,727 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

She's right.  I would activate the 3G-S once it arrives with your Sim card.  Afterwards, call them up and cancel the data plan for the other phone.  I don't think they're any need to provide your dad with the new sim card since he will be staying with his same phone #.  

Now if they need to switch your EMEI# to reflect the new phone (since you're dropping a data plan), then yes, you may have to go to a retail store to have that done.  Not sure if they're able to do it over the phone. 

Message 8 of 16 (26,719 Views)
Teacher

It can be done over the phone. But it is more "involved" and just much easier to have a real person in front of you helping you through it.

The rep at the store told me I could just call and do this, but I'm planning to go do it in the store because I don't trust what they say over the phone. 

Message 9 of 16 (26,702 Views)
Scholar

I just got done with one of the AT&T reps as well.  Looks like I'll be visiting my local retailer instead.  Much easier and I can just convert to a family plan right then and there.  Kill two birds with one stone. 
Message 10 of 16 (26,675 Views)
Teacher

You dont have to change plans or phone numbers you chst exchanging one upgrade status for you own. I am using my moms as she dosent care about swithcing phones. I have only had a phone for 4 months and wanted a g3s and used my moms upgrade. On recipt where is has coustomer has moms number and the ship to address is my number. 
Message 11 of 16 (26,408 Views)
Scholar

I'm unclear as to why the data plans would have to be switched at all when you're on a family plan, since the 3G and 3GS plans are the same. You should just be able to activate the new phone and then swap sims. What detail am I missing that would make that process not work without getting customer service involved?
Message 12 of 16 (26,387 Views)
Contributor

i have a similar question....i have work phone which is an iphone. is it possible to use a family members upgrade thats is a totally seperate account and then use it on my work account? thanks
Message 13 of 16 (26,071 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

triwayben wrote:
i have a similar question....i have work phone which is an iphone. is it possible to use a family members upgrade thats is a totally seperate account and then use it on my work account? thanks

Yes you can do that.  Now if your work phone is an original iPhone then the data plan is different and will need to be changed to the $30 data plan.

Message Edited by Planet-Ed on 07-17-2009 02:43:28 PM
Message 14 of 16 (23,476 Views)
Tutor

Swapping iPhone with family member

I have 5 iphones 3 are eligible for upgrade to iPhone 4s. This is already done for 2 phones. Is it possible to upgrade 3rd phone and have a phone with in the plan to be upgraded to a new one? ( this would be to upgrade to an Non eligible Phone). Is it easier to just swap SIM card with other phone?

Message 15 of 16 (21,979 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.