Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 21, 2010
7:47:58 AM
View profile
Spam text messages

I am new text messaging and am already receiving spam. This morning I got 5 in a row of gibberish with links (that I know better than to click on). What can I do to stop these? I don't have an unlimited plan so these are more than just a nuisance. Is there a way to block or to only allow texts from numbers in my contacts list?

I am new text messaging and am already receiving spam. This morning I got 5 in a row of gibberish with links (that I know better than to click on). What can I do to stop these? I don't have an unlimited plan so these are more than just a nuisance. Is there a way to block or to only allow texts from numbers in my contacts list?

Spam text messages

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2010 9:08:13 AM
(0)
Expert

hpsmith wrote:

What are the numbers that the messages are coming from.

hpsmith wrote:

What are the numbers that the messages are coming from.

Re: Spam text messages

2 of 10 (6,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2010 9:43:35 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Caretaker on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:19:31 AM

I'm not the original poster of this thread, but I have been a long time AT&T customer and just started receiving a number of spam texts - not a ton, but I as I don't have a texting plan, I believe I have to pay for these unsolicted texts which I can't find a way to block which does not make me happy. Does AT&T make you pay for unread text messages you recieve regardless? Seems like an easy way for spammers to rack up charges on people at random with no consequence.

The numbers I've received them from thus far are 312-898-**** and 347-530-****.

I'm not the original poster of this thread, but I have been a long time AT&T customer and just started receiving a number of spam texts - not a ton, but I as I don't have a texting plan, I believe I have to pay for these unsolicted texts which I can't find a way to block which does not make me happy. Does AT&T make you pay for unread text messages you recieve regardless? Seems like an easy way for spammers to rack up charges on people at random with no consequence.

[ Edited ]
3 of 10 (6,216 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2010 10:19:54 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by Caretaker on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:20:02 AM

nosleep wrote:

Yes they do charge for them Smiley Sad, but for you those are actual cellphone numbers, as for not using messaging, ATTM can block the use of messaging for you so that you can not get them at all and thus avoid the charges.

nosleep wrote:

Yes they do charge for them Smiley Sad, but for you those are actual cellphone numbers, as for not using messaging, ATTM can block the use of messaging for you so that you can not get them at all and thus avoid the charges.

[ Edited ]
4 of 10 (6,213 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 11:43:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

wilcre wrote:

ATTM can block the use of messaging for you so that you can not get them at all and thus avoid the charges.

That's indescribably lame.  The scalable solution is to allow customers to whitelist phone numbers (not just email addresses) and block everything else.  This could easily be managed via the online phone book--block everyone not in my online phone book, for example.

Blocking text messages altogether will, among other things, break FaceTime, and that's unacceptable.

wilcre wrote:

ATTM can block the use of messaging for you so that you can not get them at all and thus avoid the charges.

That's indescribably lame.  The scalable solution is to allow customers to whitelist phone numbers (not just email addresses) and block everything else.  This could easily be managed via the online phone book--block everyone not in my online phone book, for example.

Blocking text messages altogether will, among other things, break FaceTime, and that's unacceptable.

5 of 10 (5,800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 10:49:55 AM
(0)
Teacher

extrachrispy wrote:

wilcre wrote:

I've wished for a long time that they would allow blocking of certain numbers for both phone calls and text messages.  I get an occasional spam text message and also some nuisance calls.

extrachrispy wrote:

wilcre wrote:

I've wished for a long time that they would allow blocking of certain numbers for both phone calls and text messages.  I get an occasional spam text message and also some nuisance calls.

6 of 10 (5,740 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 7:18:08 AM
(0)
Teacher

Great Doc which has all of the current and relevant information! Thanks for posting!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.

Great Doc which has all of the current and relevant information! Thanks for posting!

8 of 10 (5,671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 5:26:09 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Discipula on Sep 17, 2010 at 6:00:50 PM

Yes, you can block them if you give ATT another $5 a month. Isn't that a lot of {word filter evasion} Every other provider has a tool which you can block numbers online for free, but not ATT because they love to make life difficult. It kinda makes you wonder if ATT is giving out our numbers so that we can pay for them to "block" these numbers. 

I hate ATT, and hate apple for their exclusivity agreements. I love capitalism, but when it turns to so much greed, it's ridiculous.

I think we should all start flooding the customer service line until they do this for free.

Yes, you can block them if you give ATT another $5 a month. Isn't that a lot of {word filter evasion} Every other provider has a tool which you can block numbers online for free, but not ATT because they love to make life difficult. It kinda makes you wonder if ATT is giving out our numbers so that we can pay for them to "block" these numbers. 

I hate ATT, and hate apple for their exclusivity agreements. I love capitalism, but when it turns to so much greed, it's ridiculous.

I think we should all start flooding the customer service line until they do this for free.

[ Edited ]
9 of 10 (4,744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 8:07:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

I did everything mentioned in the doc and spoke to AT&T customer care and also replied "STOP" and I spoke to those "spam" messagers couple of times, but nothing helped. I am a ATT customer for about 4 years now.. but for the first time I feel so frustred being with At&T as I get 3 to 4 junk messages everyday and I pay for it. !!! I feel AT&T doesn't want to help us as they charge us for all spam messeges too... !!!

I did everything mentioned in the doc and spoke to AT&T customer care and also replied "STOP" and I spoke to those "spam" messagers couple of times, but nothing helped. I am a ATT customer for about 4 years now.. but for the first time I feel so frustred being with At&T as I get 3 to 4 junk messages everyday and I pay for it. !!! I feel AT&T doesn't want to help us as they charge us for all spam messeges too... !!!

10 of 10 (4,296 Views)