Sony Xperia x10 2.1 update

Contributor

Sony Xperia x10 2.1 update

[ Edited ]

First id like to say AT&T really {language filter evasion} this up, not just the xperia but all their android phones of 2010, not ONE single android update to any android phone in 2010 not only should SE drop AT&T but so should all other android manufactures. (check this image out)

now SE is not a fault here, its their fault the phone was released with out of date OS but i give them a break b/c they have released updates (7 or 8 months ago:/ sry AT&T but if ur testing takes that long then u are changing too much stuff) and this is thier first step into the android field.

to anyone thinking about starting a contract with AT&T, DONT, not if u plan on using an android phone, u wont see updates for ~1 year after they are released to the rest of the world/never see them at all.

to anyone who got the xperia and wants 2.1 there is still hope!! go here and download the x10 flash tool, then go here for an easy to read guide on how to get 2.1 and even the new multitouch update (may need an XDA account). the roms here are the SE genaric rom and dont have all the AT&T bloatware and lockdown crap. I flashed my x10 today, took about 20-30 mins and it runs great.

the x10 is a great phone, too bad we had to suffer the fail of AT&T. if i had a choice i would not be using AT&T for my cell service and once im on my own contract ill be giving AT&T the boot and never looking back.

Message 1 of 17 (9,496 Views)
Tutor

Re: Sony Xperia x10 2.1 update

I agree!  I originally had the xperia x10 and purchased it on the sales person telling me the phone would be updated to the latest OS.  I was able to switch to the Samsung Captivate and while it has 2.1 we have been waiting for the 2.2 update.  I love android but I often think I should have switched to an iphone at least you know it will get the latest iOS

Message 2 of 17 (8,854 Views)
Contributor

I completely agree with the OP, but I recognize I can't do anything about it. AT&T operates in a market where a minuet fraction of the population actually is tech savvy, and therefore it doesn't prove to help AT&T's bottom line in any way to devote R&D expenditures to android upgrades that won't yield any dollar value returns. Sure they can market their android phones as the most upgrade friendly and whatnot, but it doesn't make business sense. 

All I plead AT&T for is to realize that if they adopted android handsets into their portfolio, they should follow through with the upgrades like operators in the rest of the world did. For the limited time I plan on staying with AT&T, at least make that worth my while. I'm already fed up with constantly dropped calls, iffy 3G reception, & horribly pathetic data plan rates.

Message 3 of 17 (8,567 Views)
Contributor

I agree with all of you i just bought the x10 thinking there was an upgrade available now im very disappointed leaving your customers in the dark is bad business.

Message 4 of 17 (7,340 Views)
Tutor

There are a lot of people who upgraded their X10s to 2.1 and you don't have to be technical to do it - just look at the other threads in this forum.

I'm not defending AT&T at all....they aren't supporting their customers properly on this. I'm saying you can debrand and upgrade your phone to the official SE 2.1 release pretty easily.  When I did it, I was quite impressed with the X10 on 2.1. 

Debrand/flash your phone.  Go to SE for the 2.1 upgrade. You got a great android phone.

Message 5 of 17 (7,303 Views)
Scholar

While we don't even have the 2.1 from at&t, Rogers just released the pinch and zoom upgrade to their 2.1. Basically the Canadian provider is 3 upgrades ahead of us and ofcourse as is most of the world.

Good thing the X10 is easy to de brand and get the upgrades directly from Sony.
Message 6 of 17 (7,213 Views)
Contributor

hi can u help me update my phone....i tried to find out what u saying but was not able to do so.....

i hope u can help me out..

thanks a lot..

Message 7 of 17 (6,349 Views)
Contributor

Just followed the links above and updated to 2.1 and rooted with the flash tool from XDA Developers.  Took about 20 minutes and ran flawlessly.  No need to pay a third party, although I will donate to the developer.  My phone runs faster and all the features work.  No more ATT apps.  I also loaded Titanium backup.  Thanks to all here and at XDA.

No worries on warranty, since nothing I did effected the hardware and I am still running SE software.

Message 8 of 17 (5,725 Views)
Contributor

Thank you.. I am going to try that.. I want quite a few apps that are only for the newer OS... and I can not figure out why it won't let me update!! Ugh!

Message 9 of 17 (5,691 Views)
Contributor

I am beyond vulgar words angry at AT&T's ongoing incompetence. No excuse for a company as large as this to be anywhere but at the forefront of Android upgrades except incompetence and disrespect for their customers. I agree, next time I, my family, and as many friends as I can convince, will all leave AT&T based on their poor reception, dropped calls, and ever annual bottom of the ratings.

I am a novice to the idea of flashtools etc. So, I could use a little more instruction. Firstly, that Flashtools page was a bit confusing in that there were at least a couple of different versions of Flashtools available and they seems to be based on specific versions of the Xperia X10. So, A.) I am presuming I have to do the downloading directly to my phone and so I must be using the browser and connected to this site. B.) Which version of Flashtools do I download? C.) How do I determine which Xperia X10 I have on that list. D.) I don't have the money to screw up this phone and replace it, so I am quite uneasy with the warnings about wrecking the phone by doing this wrong and having a phone that is trashed because it is permanently stuck on the boot screen.

Message 10 of 17 (5,122 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

I too was hesitant on unbranding and upgrading my x10s firmware to 2.1, however I am glad that I bit the bullet and went for broke.  Please follow this youtube link.  If it gets blocked, search for bluechipj x10 firmware upgrade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIC9uN_0syg&fmt=22

Couldn't wait for AT&T, and followed bluechipj's instructions to the letter.  It works and now I'm running 2.1.1 with multi-touch screen capabilities.  Just watch his channel a few times and do some dryruns before you actually do it.  It really isn't have hard.  If I can do it, you so can to.  Good luck.

=)

Message 11 of 17 (3,293 Views)
Scholar

SEshoulddropthiscarrier wrote: 

to anyone who got the xperia and wants 2.1 there is still hope!! go here and download the x10 flash tool, then go here for an easy to read guide on how to get 2.1 and even the new multitouch update (may need an XDA account). the roms here are the SE genaric rom and dont have all the AT&T bloatware and lockdown crap. I flashed my x10 today, took about 20-30 mins and it runs great.

X2.  The how to guide is incredibly easy to follow.  There are 3 different firmware files: 504 oldest and 435 is the newest.  I'm shocked that it took 20-30 min, unless you are including download time.  The only issue that I had was that my older PC running XP didn't recognize my phone.  When I moved the files to a newer PC the entire flash process tool 5-10 min.

Message 12 of 17 (3,268 Views)
Scholar

eddiemiddle wrote:

I am a novice to the idea of flashtools etc. So, I could use a little more instruction. Firstly, that Flashtools page was a bit confusing in that there were at least a couple of different versions of Flashtools available and they seems to be based on specific versions of the Xperia X10. So, A.) I am presuming I have to do the downloading directly to my phone and so I must be using the browser and connected to this site. B.) Which version of Flashtools do I download? C.) How do I determine which Xperia X10 I have on that list. D.) I don't have the money to screw up this phone and replace it, so I am quite uneasy with the warnings about wrecking the phone by doing this wrong and having a phone that is trashed because it is permanently stuck on the boot screen.

A) Download to your PC.  The flashtool is windows based, so if you are a MAC user, you'll need a windows emulator.  Back up your APN's (free tool in Anroid Market), so you can restore them (just in case there's a prob, after flash as some have reported with the earlier versions of the flashtool).
B) Download 2.6 (2.5 will work too, but IIRC, 2.6 has some bug fixes, so it's better to use it). 
c) You have an x10a. 
d) if it doesn't work properly, try again, but if you get to the "fail" point, just use SEUS (SE Upgrade Service) to restore to factory settings.

Message 13 of 17 (3,267 Views)
Contributor

Never sign-up for a 2 year contract w/ ATT. I just spent half hour trying to resolve some issues with this crappy ericson phone and all i got was a rude Customer support and got transferred 5X and told me that "THEY CAN'T HELP ME". I have 2 lines w/ them and planning on cancelling them both.

Message 14 of 17 (3,169 Views)
Scholar

Where do you go for the update? I assume that the phone MUST be connected via USB. Do you download the os 2.1 update,or do you need to be connected via broadband? Reason I am asking all these questions is that I use my X10a as my secondary modem,since I don't have Wi-Fi nor another broadband connection.
Thank-you
Message 15 of 17 (3,129 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.