Ask a question

Posted Mar 11, 2013
3:37:41 PM
View profile
Sony Xperia Ion Jelly Bean update???

I can hardly find any info as to when the Sony Xperia Ion will be recieving an update to Jelly Bean, other than a statement saying that it will. Can anyone shed any light on this subject?

(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 10, 2013 1:06:16 PM
(1)
Mentor

It isn't coming.  AT&T is NOT releasing it.

Accepted Solution

Sony Xperia Ion Jelly Bean update???

35 replies
(3) Me too
(3) Me too
View all replies
(35)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 12, 2013 11:58:53 PM
(0)
Mentor

It's not coming.  AT&T isn't releasing the JB update even though the update will be released by sony for the international version.  

Re: Sony Xperia Ion Jelly Bean update???

2 of 36 (12,207 Views)
Solution
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2013 12:09:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

Makes it kinda of hard to stay with a carrier that will not release the update of a relatively new phone. I guess it may be time to move on; AT&T's decision to do this is just so they can sell more HTC One X devices I guess. Poor move AT&T.

3 of 36 (12,059 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2013 4:54:22 AM
(0)
Explorer
I just received this in an email from AT&T.

Tony,

We will release the update for the device after Sony releases it but at this time we do not have a date.

Thanks,
Tina Leblanc
Social Media Manager

4 of 36 (10,978 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2013 4:56:15 AM
(0)
Explorer
I know it's not much, but at least AT&T has confirmed that they will indeed push the update.

5 of 36 (10,975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2013 7:38:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

Very nice to see something about it. Thanks for the share.

6 of 36 (10,949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2013 7:44:13 AM
(0)
Mentor
Don't bet on it.

7 of 36 (10,943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2013 11:03:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi

Is there any time-line you guys are going to release Jelly Bean for Xperia Ion

We asked with sony and they say now its upto AT&T to release the update

Please dont say that its SONY who has to do the upgrade, because SONY has already released for Non-AT&T devices.

Only you guys are causing this much of problem

Atleast unlock the bootloader

I bought the phone for full price of 400$

thanks

regards
Vijay

8 of 36 (9,171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2013 2:26:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

OK good to know it started rolling out in other territories so when are we getting it...

9 of 36 (8,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2013 6:54:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
I read and I heard it came out and you can get it on Sony's program.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sony-xperia-ion-jelly-bean-update-now-available-pc-companion-software

10 of 36 (8,716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2013 7:28:45 PM
(0)
Mentor

It's only out for the LT28h which is the non-LTE ion sold in other countries.  The LTE LT28i version shouldn't be too far behind.  Don't wait for AT&T as they aren't releasing the JB ion update.  You can use the LT28i firmware though.  Check out www.xda-developers.com to get help with doing that.

11 of 36 (8,712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2013 9:46:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

they released just one firmware 6.2.B.0.211 the LT28h is seen to have LTE settings so the one firmware should cover all three models

12 of 36 (8,641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2013 7:22:44 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by tennisplayer747 on Jun 27, 2013 at 7:23:24 PM

Now the jb update has been released by Sony when will ion owners see the update?

[ Edited ]
13 of 36 (8,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 12:56:02 PM
(0)
Voyager

this isn't a solution. when is the update rolling out?

16 of 36 (6,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 8:55:01 AM
(0)
Contributor

If you used an Ion, would you be so blythe about the update date. I see AT&T got your logo on the Sony update software so now when will the update be pushed? If AT&T doesn't care to update how about the unlock code?

Been a customer since 1994, thinking about changing now.

21 of 36 (6,475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 5:02:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

Went to ATT store yesterday, was told update to JB was coming but they can't do all phones at once, ATT rep called Sony while I was standing there. Am considering both unlock and update to JB. I have year left on contract though so will have to pay remainder of phone cost about $200 to get out of contract. Anyone know what carriers I can use unlocked Ion on other than ATT. Their coverage is terrible in my area but i love the phone.

22 of 36 (5,971 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2013 6:39:03 PM
(0)
Tutor
Where is the update the international version already has it

Sony xperia ion Jelly Bean update?

14 of 36 (6,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 11:34:34 AM
(0)
Voyager
bump! sick of waiting!

Re: Sony xperia ion Jelly Bean update?

15 of 36 (6,243 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 10, 2013 1:06:16 PM
(1)
Mentor

It isn't coming.  AT&T is NOT releasing it.

17 of 36 (6,234 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 1:17:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
why wouldnt they the phone is only a year old

Sent from my iPhone

18 of 36 (6,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 1:47:07 PM
(0)
Mentor

Only AT&T could tell you why, all I know (from my sources who deal directly with Sony and AT&T and their relationship) is that JB is not comin to the AT&T ion.

19 of 36 (6,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 2:19:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
ill see what they say at the At&t store

Sent from my iPhone

20 of 36 (6,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 5:05:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

yaboykenny wrote:
ill see what they say at the At&t store

Sent from my iPhone

went yesterday, they say its coming but not sure when, next couple weeks maybe. Rep called Sony.

23 of 36 (5,970 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 7:55:59 AM
(0)
Tutor
thanks a lot, but i think its up to AT&T to release the update

Sent from my iPhone

24 of 36 (5,956 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 7:59:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

just did upgrade mysefl. Great instructions. Worked. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5FyezJb45M

25 of 36 (5,956 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 12:37:49 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jul 17, 2013 at 12:42:43 PM

I chatted with Customer Service with both AT&T and Sony this morning. This is the transcript of the conversation - take it for what you will.

Thank you for your patience! Your AT&T Representative will be with you shortly.
Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Ben '
Ben : Hello Adam! I am looking into the update for the ion now.
Adam : Thank you
Ben : I am sorry Adam, but I am not finding any information on when the Xperia Ion will have the Jelly Bean udpate on our network.
Adam : I'm reading on the net that it has been made available for the Ion Has already been adopted overseas and is just waiting for ATT to announce a date. How would I find out the official answer to my quetsion?
Ben : I am sorry but at this time there is no information in our systems of when the update will be active on our network for the Ion.
Adam : OK no information on your systems. How would I find out what the policy would be . I get conflicting statement even on the Official ATT customer blogs - are these blogs ignored by the company and don't even care to address the concerns placed on them?
Adam : What is the next level to raise my query?
Ben : I will get a supervisor for you. One moment please.
One moment while I transfer the chat to 'Tiffanie  '.
Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Tiffanie  '
Tiffanie  : Hello Adam I am the manager you requested. How can I help you today?
Adam : Thank you have you read my previous questions
Tiffanie  : No I am doing so now. Smiley Happy
Tiffanie  : I am looking into this update now.
Tiffanie  : What software do you have in your phone now?
Adam : Ice cream sandwich
Tiffanie  : Is it the 2.3.7?
Adam : 4.0.4 I'm reading about 4.1.2 or even 4.2.2
Adam : Just from a google searchSmiley Frustratedony Xperia Z now receiving Android 4.2.2, AT&T Xperia Ion 4.1.2 phandroid.com/.../sony-xperia-z-and-ion-now-receiving-jelly-b...‎ by Christopher Chavez - in 5,750 Google+ circles Jun 25, 2013 - Sony Xperia Z now receiving Android 4.2.2, followed by the A&T Sony Xperia Ion receiving Android 4.1.2. Better late than never.
Tiffanie  : We are unable to have information on those software updates until the manufactr releases them to us I can give you the number to Sony and you can see if they will push the software to your phone.
Adam : Alright, but if I'm reading the information the hold up is with ATT
Tiffanie  : Well what happens is that the manufactr give the software updates to us and then we test them and alter them to make them compatible for our phones but I am not seeing any information on those updates for your phone.
Adam : Just a mo I'm beinging to chat with Sony
Tiffanie  : All right.
Tiffanie  : You are very welcome take your time let me know what they say. Smiley Happy
Adam : I will
Adam : Agent Jason: In regards to your inquiry, we already rollout Jelly Bean for the Xperia™ Ion, however, as your phone is branded with AT&T they are the ones that need to release it for their phones because they need to customize it first as their request.
Tiffanie  : Great well it is being processed then by are company. I do apologize but we do need to test the software out before we send it out to our customers.
Adam : Sooo..... As the cat is out of the bag when do ion customer's see when it will be released. These notification have been shown on the web for over a month
Tiffanie  : We are unable to give an exact date of when the update will be released.
Adam : Ball park then
Tiffanie  : I do not have that information available.
Adam : Can you have someone email me with the information.
Tiffanie  : I am unable to have anyone email you because we do not know exactly when the release date is.
Adam : But if the update is released and you say that AT&T needs to test the update. We can assume there is a schedule somewhere for it's testing somewhere sometime with a project date for completion. Someone has to know.
Tiffanie  : When the update comes out you will receive an update notification on your phone.
Adam : I'm not satisfied with that answer but I will leave it there. However I will post our conversation. Thank you Tiffanie, I know you have done your best to help.

[edited for privacy]

[ Edited ]
26 of 36 (5,926 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 1:25:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

I was sold this phone last year with the assurance that it was getting the 4.1 update from Sony.  Is ATT going to back out on thier word now? 

27 of 36 (5,362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 4:45:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

So, I spoke with AT&T Tech Support over the phone yesterday, and they told me that they had just received the update from Sony about a week ago. The rep told me that it was currently in the testing phase and that it should be rolling out soon, but she couldn't give me a specific date. But she confirmed that it was coming out FOR SURE. 

Pay no attention to Spectre51 and his/her ill-informed conjectures... 

It will be coming soon, just be patient. I've been waiting for it too. It feels like forever... But our wait is almost over!!! 

28 of 36 (3,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 6:50:15 PM
(0)
Mentor
No conjecture here just facts as provided to me by a knowledgeable Sony rep who definitely is in the know more so than a tech support rep. But go ahead and keep holding out for AT&T, they've never let anyone down before Smiley Wink.

I will check again (probably about the 5th time) with my friend, ahem contact, to confirm once again there is no JB update planned for the ion on AT&T.

29 of 36 (3,878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 5:07:17 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Aug 15, 2013 at 7:37:52 PM

I should've been more specific. I had an online chat with a tech support agent a few days before I received the phone call from AT&T. The tech support agent couldn't help me out at the time, because she didn't have the information, so that was the end of that conversation. The next day, I received a survey text message from AT&T asking me how happy I was with the online chat session. I replied back with a 10 (being the best), saying that the rep was very friendly and professional, but that the information was not given to her so there was no way of her knowing. The next survey text message asked if the problem had been resolved, and I replied back with "not resolved" and a small paragraph explaining the situation. The next day, a woman calls me and gives me the information that I was requesting. Now that's pretty awesome customer service! She gave me an answer I was happy with, and that's that the update would definitely be released. Now okay, she didn't give me an exact date, but she said it would be released soon and that the update was in the testing phase. If they weren't going to release the update, why would they be testing it? And based on what you're saying you're either calling the AT&T rep a liar, or myself. 

You say your "friend/contact" knows this information, but how do we know that you're not making this stuff up? Granted, my information could be false too, but at least my claim gives people hope, whereas your claim only upsets and disappoints.

Only time will tell who is right. But in the meantime, why don't you stop saying that it's not going to come out, because you're not 100% sure. I don't know for sure either, but at least I heard it straight from AT&T, not from some Sony "friend" of yours.... Sony announced that they released the update. Why would they release the update for other versions of the Ion, but not the AT&T version? It just doesn't make sense. If I was another Ion user that's reading this and waiting for the update, I'd trust the information that came from the source, in this case being AT&T, rather than some random "friend" of yours at Sony....

[Please keep it courteous]

[ Edited ]
30 of 36 (3,586 Views)