Ask a question

Posted Aug 2, 2011
    9:00:13 AM
    Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 now has Android 2.3, but AT&T wont allow it.

Im posing a question and hoping that i will get a direct answer from an AT&T representative/moderator. the fact of the matter is that the hardware capabilities of the Xperia X10 phone are great. Sony Ericsson has provided an android 2.1 release and as of yesterday they have been rolling out the android 2.3 release. Yet, AT&T is disallowing ANY updates past Android 1.6, making it a virtually useless phone when it is capable of so much more. so, why are we not being allowed the update? can a representative explain? is there a good business move theory towards not allowing the latest upgrades that the manufacturer comes out with?     thats like America not allowing certain recalls on vehicles that the manufacturer has mandated.

Android 2.3 brings flash capability to this phone, a huge leap.             .....anyone?

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 now has Android 2.3, but AT&T wont allow it.

27 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (27)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 2, 2011 11:07:26 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

of course anyone else is willing to chime in support, maybe we can get a request going. i will update my phone to 2.3.3 when the global generic rom comes out. but i shouldn't have to be doing that if AT&T would allow updates.

Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 now has Android 2.3, but AT&T wont allow it.

2 of 28 (17,948 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 2, 2011 2:28:26 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

AT&T should allow the 2.3 a android update and also allow to download third party apps

3 of 28 (17,916 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 2, 2011 2:34:21 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

i agree. thats part of their problem, they take away the full features of the phone, taking away unknown sources, backup and restore, etc and make their own cutdown version. if they'd leave the full featured manufacturer intended version then we'd have the updates as soon as SE rolled them out. 

4 of 28 (17,910 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 2, 2011 2:43:32 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

i know what AT&T's response is to not allowing third party apps otherwise known as the "unknown sources" option that they take out. their response is "so that we know our users are getting applications from trusted sources on the android market and to avoid potential viruses"  thats very quaint considering that third party apps are very important. more specifically, third party apps are used by people who know how to fix their own problems should they have any.  people who dont know how to solve problems dont use third party apps, they use smart phones because they do neat things out of the box. my point being, open up the path, dont lock anything out because you're just restricting the user.

5 of 28 (17,907 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 3, 2011 1:16:12 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Nobody from AT&T has a reply? i know every forum has a moderator(s)

6 of 28 (17,746 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 3, 2011 2:20:16 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    The only official presence of AT&T on this forum is the Moderators and Administrators. You will not get an official reply from AT & T on this peer to peer forum.
    Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
    Posted by a mobile device.

7 of 28 (17,725 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 3, 2011 3:00:42 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

so whats the best way to go about doing what im trying to do?

8 of 28 (17,718 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 3, 2011 6:06:04 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    The "Contact Us" link at the bottom on the website?

If history is any indication, any and all updates will not be announced until they are ready to be released to the public.

9 of 28 (17,694 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 3, 2011 6:51:01 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

yea i guess i knew the answer to that question, problem is...im on a family plan and not the primary account holder so i dont have a login. i understand your statement about updates are released when they are released but the problem is the Xperia X10 is still on Android 1.6 on AT&t and now they've released 2.3. im 95% sure that AT&T wont release ANY updates given the timeframe and the previous update they've ignored. the x10 is being given away as a crap phone for my account joins. they're phasing it out while the rest of the world is gleaming with new software and a great smart phone. i just dont get it. not a good business model. 

10 of 28 (17,684 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 3, 2011 7:15:04 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    There is an official update to android 2.1 for the AT&T Xperia X10a.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Sony-Ericsson/xperia-X10-2-1-Update-When/td-p/2535929/page/13

11 of 28 (13,304 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 3, 2011 7:37:56 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Just flash the new 2.3 generic Rom, go to XDA forums and read up on it. Or just go to DavinciTeams website and have them do it for a fee. Either or, it's up to you. I get sick of waiting for new upgrades from AT&T, so I just do it myself. Besides, has AT&T officially said anything about the upgrade? I know on Sony's blog it states mostly generic firmwares and not all branded phones will get the update. You can wait if you want but the minute the generic rom came out I installed it cause ya never know.

12 of 28 (13,300 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 4, 2011 11:33:48 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

yea, im all over XDA forums and im just waiting for the Global generic rom to hit and i'll update via flashtool. im just dissapointed with AT&T, the average person doesn't know how to load a custom rom on their phone let alone even know where to look. 

13 of 28 (13,278 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 5, 2011 1:26:34 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Yeah AT&T pretty much sucks at this.  They want to at least believe they have control lol.  I just jumped on the site to browse the smartphones and guess what....  Not a single SE being offered.  Well isn't that nice.  I guess they're tired of us SE customers demanding what we paid for so they'll just single that crowd out.  No matter I'll wait til another great product gets rooted then I'll apply it to AT&T's network as always.  They can keep dreaming of control but I'll do as I wish with or without their permission.  Oh and anybody else need updates for any phones at all just start searching for root or roms for your phone in google.  You'll be amazed at what these phones can really do.  American phone companies fail.

14 of 28 (13,235 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 5, 2011 4:26:09 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Not any "smart" phone?  Not any S/E phone at all! 

I guess they do expect the control and of course they like to load phones with all manner of proprietary mobile app$ even as they mask out or remove stuff from the manufacturer.  All this customization costs money as does any QA and testing they might do.  It is purely overhead to the bean counters.  All you yahoos want your update for free but it takes money to get 'er dun.

The other factor warring with the "control" is the relative ease of restoring them to non-customized firmware.  If you are going to fix your phone so it works they way they don't want, why should they offer it to you?  Just go buy unbranded and be happy. 

15 of 28 (13,196 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 21, 2011 1:06:16 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

I have upgraded to 2.3.3 it took about 5 minutes.  It's so much faster! I can't believe a software update can make such a difference. I already thought 2.1 was fast.  Install 2.3.3 today and quit whining about ATT. 

If you had to choose between the official 2.3.3 Sony release that is available today and an ATT 2.3.3 (if we even out today) why the helll you go with the ATT one?  All the ATT one would have is just extra crapware. ???

Go install and enjoy NETFLIX! Smiley Surprised  Straight from the US Google App store.  No hacks required!

16 of 28 (12,806 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 21, 2011 8:59:04 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

That would be nice and dandy if I could download the update at all for my phone.

17 of 28 (12,795 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 22, 2011 12:54:23 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Can you tell me how to do this, or what kind of business I can contact to do this for me? I'm in Houston, TX.

18 of 28 (12,748 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 22, 2011 2:35:19 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

yea i had the 2.3.3 update the day global generic rom came out, you're right...i wouldn't want the AT&T version even if they did come out with it but that wouldn't be a problem is AT&T didn't HAVE their own version of phone software and just supported the manufacturers updates. that was my point. to everyone else wondering what we are talking about and how to bring your Xperia x10 back to life, watching netflix and all the other great features---start doing some research on www.xda-developers.com

19 of 28 (12,744 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 23, 2011 12:25:17 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

Yeah, I don't think they allow links, but you should be able to Google to find what you need.  

First there is the X10a U.S. firmware.  You can get this from Sony or from where ever you can find it:

X10a_3.0.1.G.0.75_AM-US GENERIC.ftf

Just google for that file, it's about 233mb.

Second you just need something called "Flashtool.exe" from xda site.  Current version 0.3.0.0

It is just a self extracting .ZIP file.  It creats a folder with a bunch of stuff inside.  It will have a folder called "firmwares", I just delete the .ftf files that are in there and just copy the one from above into that folder. 

You will see also that one the files that extracted is called "X10FlashTool.exe", run it.  It has pretty pictures that tell you what to do.  Basically, turn off your phone, then hold the back button while plugging your usb cable into the computer. When it is done. You unplug and turn it on.  Just like a brand new phone. That is all.  Your phone will automatically find all ATT settings, etc.  

Next, go to android market and DL netflix app!! Smiley Happy 

20 of 28 (12,721 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 25, 2011 8:47:12 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Please contact the FCC with these type of complaints. When ATT would not release the 2.1 update, I filed a complaint and 2 days later I got a call from the Office of the President of ATT  and the FCC. It's amazing how fast that update rolled out.

It's important to fill out this line:

5.For billing and non-billing complaints (including privacy and service quality issues) please provide the details of your complaint or any additional information below:

21 of 28 (12,732 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 25, 2011 9:33:26 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

great! can you provide a link or a proper method for contacting the FCC with such complaints?

22 of 28 (12,728 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 12, 2011 1:01:19 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Well back when AT&T released 2.1 for the X10 it was indicated that 2.3 would be available 4th quarter.

While at work today I got a message on my phone 'Software Update Available'

Got home and fired up PC Companion and it says 'Software is Up To Date'

Knew it was too good to be true!!!

23 of 28 (12,032 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 12, 2011 10:19:53 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Hi,

That worked for me. I hav Xperix X10a. 

Step 1: Download FlashTool version 0.3.0.0

www.multiupload.com/LS3UFZY996

Step 2: Download X10a_3.0.1.G.0.75_AM-US GENERIC file - www.multiupload.com/YKKS0L6ML0

Step 3: Extract FlashTool, it will create a bunch of folders, go to Firmwares folder and delete all files and copy "X10a_3.0.1.G.0.75_AM-US GENERIC.ftf" into it.

Step 4: Launch "X10FlashTool.exe" and click Flash button, it will guide you step by step.

24 of 28 (12,005 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 19, 2011 8:48:11 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

AT&T Most likely wont but you can flash your phone on your own to run on the SE OS without AT&T's system. In fact it runs much better. Also they most likely wont because of the USB tethering options the xperia offers however they can disable that if they amke an OS for themselves for the Gingerbread system. They wont though because they would want you to upgrade and sign another 2 year contract with them instead.

25 of 28 (11,197 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 22, 2011 8:17:31 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

ok i put 2.3 on my system but now i cannot pget pik messages or internet. under settings i go to sony ericsson then to settings download (download settings for internet and MMS)  then it says could not download settings. retry? how can i get it working again, please N E 1 ?????

26 of 28 (11,137 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 27, 2011 6:02:07 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

yes, im glad you asked. I just had the same issue. my last xperia x10 broke so i got a new one under warranty and put 2.3 on it as well.  what you're missing is called APN. Access point Name. If you go under your phone settings and then <wireless and network settings> then <mobile networks> then <access point names>  now you'll need make a new APN or edit the one thats already in there. by pressing the left bottom "option" key on your phone.  all the information you need for the new APN can be found at this post.

http://androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/243911-t-apn-settings.html

27 of 28 (11,077 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 2, 2012 6:53:36 PM
    (0)
    Voyager
    Davinciteam.com, now simlock.com, can walk you right through the proper steps in getting Gingerbread on your X10, straight forward and simple.

28 of 28 (9,925 Views)