Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 now has Android 2.3, but AT&T wont allow it.

Tutor

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 now has Android 2.3, but AT&T wont allow it.

Im posing a question and hoping that i will get a direct answer from an AT&T representative/moderator. the fact of the matter is that the hardware capabilities of the Xperia X10 phone are great. Sony Ericsson has provided an android 2.1 release and as of yesterday they have been rolling out the android 2.3 release. Yet, AT&T is disallowing ANY updates past Android 1.6, making it a virtually useless phone when it is capable of so much more. so, why are we not being allowed the update? can a representative explain? is there a good business move theory towards not allowing the latest upgrades that the manufacturer comes out with?     thats like America not allowing certain recalls on vehicles that the manufacturer has mandated.

Android 2.3 brings flash capability to this phone, a huge leap.             .....anyone?

Message 1 of 28 (18,169 Views)
Tutor

Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 now has Android 2.3, but AT&T wont allow it.

of course anyone else is willing to chime in support, maybe we can get a request going. i will update my phone to 2.3.3 when the global generic rom comes out. but i shouldn't have to be doing that if AT&T would allow updates.

Message 2 of 28 (18,122 Views)
Contributor

AT&T should allow the 2.3 a android update and also allow to download third party apps

Message 3 of 28 (18,090 Views)
Tutor

i agree. thats part of their problem, they take away the full features of the phone, taking away unknown sources, backup and restore, etc and make their own cutdown version. if they'd leave the full featured manufacturer intended version then we'd have the updates as soon as SE rolled them out. 

Message 4 of 28 (18,084 Views)
Tutor

i know what AT&T's response is to not allowing third party apps otherwise known as the "unknown sources" option that they take out. their response is "so that we know our users are getting applications from trusted sources on the android market and to avoid potential viruses"  thats very quaint considering that third party apps are very important. more specifically, third party apps are used by people who know how to fix their own problems should they have any.  people who dont know how to solve problems dont use third party apps, they use smart phones because they do neat things out of the box. my point being, open up the path, dont lock anything out because you're just restricting the user.

Message 5 of 28 (18,081 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Nobody from AT&T has a reply? i know every forum has a moderator(s)

Message 6 of 28 (17,920 Views)
Master

The only official presence of AT&T on this forum is the Moderators and Administrators. You will not get an official reply from AT & T on this peer to peer forum.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 28 (17,899 Views)
Tutor

so whats the best way to go about doing what im trying to do?

Message 8 of 28 (17,892 Views)
Master

The "Contact Us" link at the bottom on the website?

If history is any indication, any and all updates will not be announced until they are ready to be released to the public.
Message 9 of 28 (17,868 Views)
Tutor

yea i guess i knew the answer to that question, problem is...im on a family plan and not the primary account holder so i dont have a login. i understand your statement about updates are released when they are released but the problem is the Xperia X10 is still on Android 1.6 on AT&t and now they've released 2.3. im 95% sure that AT&T wont release ANY updates given the timeframe and the previous update they've ignored. the x10 is being given away as a crap phone for my account joins. they're phasing it out while the rest of the world is gleaming with new software and a great smart phone. i just dont get it. not a good business model. 

Message 10 of 28 (17,858 Views)
Master

There is an official update to android 2.1 for the AT&T Xperia X10a.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Sony-Ericsson/xperia-X10-2-1-Update-When/td-p/2535929/page/13
Message 11 of 28 (13,478 Views)
Contributor

Just flash the new 2.3 generic Rom, go to XDA forums and read up on it. Or just go to DavinciTeams website and have them do it for a fee. Either or, it's up to you. I get sick of waiting for new upgrades from AT&T, so I just do it myself. Besides, has AT&T officially said anything about the upgrade? I know on Sony's blog it states mostly generic firmwares and not all branded phones will get the update. You can wait if you want but the minute the generic rom came out I installed it cause ya never know.

Message 12 of 28 (13,474 Views)
Tutor

yea, im all over XDA forums and im just waiting for the Global generic rom to hit and i'll update via flashtool. im just dissapointed with AT&T, the average person doesn't know how to load a custom rom on their phone let alone even know where to look. 

Message 13 of 28 (13,452 Views)
Contributor

Yeah AT&T pretty much sucks at this.  They want to at least believe they have control lol.  I just jumped on the site to browse the smartphones and guess what....  Not a single SE being offered.  Well isn't that nice.  I guess they're tired of us SE customers demanding what we paid for so they'll just single that crowd out.  No matter I'll wait til another great product gets rooted then I'll apply it to AT&T's network as always.  They can keep dreaming of control but I'll do as I wish with or without their permission.  Oh and anybody else need updates for any phones at all just start searching for root or roms for your phone in google.  You'll be amazed at what these phones can really do.  American phone companies fail.

Message 14 of 28 (13,409 Views)
Scholar

Not any "smart" phone?  Not any S/E phone at all! 

I guess they do expect the control and of course they like to load phones with all manner of proprietary mobile app$ even as they mask out or remove stuff from the manufacturer.  All this customization costs money as does any QA and testing they might do.  It is purely overhead to the bean counters.  All you yahoos want your update for free but it takes money to get 'er dun.

The other factor warring with the "control" is the relative ease of restoring them to non-customized firmware.  If you are going to fix your phone so it works they way they don't want, why should they offer it to you?  Just go buy unbranded and be happy. 

Message 15 of 28 (13,370 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.