Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY

Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY

Cant seem to find too much info on the carrier for this phone. From what I have found, they have not made a CDMA version of this phone, but Verizon seems to be pinged as the launch carrier (of course, they get all the cool phones). Does anyone know if AT&T is on the list be a carrier for this thing? If not, It might be time to make the switch. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 23 (7,172 Views)
Scholar

Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY

It had to get FCC approval,then it goes to whatever carrier. They announced that VZW was getting the phone,it is POSSIBLE that T-Mo might get it,since they are not heavy with SE phones. at&t and T-Mo are the only two that are GSM capable. Keep an eye on it by watching it on CNET and enadget. These two are the sources of info for me for anything mobile.
Message 2 of 23 (7,134 Views)
Scholar

Meant to say "engadget". Sorry!!
Message 3 of 23 (7,133 Views)
Master

It's already announced to come to Verizon.

http://news.vzw.com/news/2011/02/pr2011-02-13.html
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 23 (7,111 Views)

Crap. Verizon always snatches the cool stuff and AT&T gets the leftover crap.

Message 5 of 23 (7,082 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Early pictures showed the phone with an "Insert SIM" message on the screen, so I'm staying hopeful.

Also, if you look at the news for the CDMA version on PhoneArena.com, there is a statement by a Sony official that says they're considering multiple providers. Of course, PhoneArena also lists it as having a "Q1" release scheduled, and tomorrow's the last day of Q1. Unfortunately, Sony's website has Verizon badges both on the page and on the pictured phone.

I'm kinda bummed that it can't play all of the PSN content I've already downloaded for my PSP.

Message 6 of 23 (6,379 Views)
Master

I have read somewhere that the Experia Play was also being made in a GSM version and would be available overseas. Not sure where though. UK, maybe?
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 23 (6,361 Views)

Well, everything that I have found anywhere is all pretty much saying the same thing: IF at&t does ever get it, who know when. My upgrade urge couldnt hold out and I picked up an HTC Inspire for $99 at a local retail store. What a bad a$$ phone! Its no PSP phone, but I guess Ill just to carry my PSP (and someday, the NGP) seperately. Sigh.

Message 8 of 23 (6,348 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

I saw a Canadian service provider (Rodgers, was it?) mentioned somewhere, as far as GSM goes.

Here's hoping they release an unlocked GSM version!

Message 9 of 23 (6,345 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

The Xperia play will indeed be released in both CDMA as well GSM formats.. the CDMA version (verizon) is the R800x and the GSM is R800i.

Message 10 of 23 (4,911 Views)

ANy idea when? It sucks that I just got the Inspire tho.

Message 11 of 23 (3,332 Views)
Contributor

They have a couple of different GSM models.  The R800a is already available in Canada, and the R800at is most likely going to be the AT&T version.  Originally they said that other US carriers would get it just a few weeks after Verizon.  Hopefully that's the case.

It looks like someone already got their hands on one. 

Check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1054400

Message 12 of 23 (3,317 Views)
Contributor

The Play works great on AT&T Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 23 (3,314 Views)
Contributor

sk337sk337:  What version of the phone do you have? R800a/R800at/R800i ... I have read that the R800i does not support AT&T's 3G. Does 3G work on your phone? 

Does anyone here know if AT&T will officially release the xperia play?

Message 14 of 23 (3,143 Views)
Voyager

I have the Xperia Play on AT&T. It is a R800a developer model (unlocked) from Google I/O. Works well, with fast 3G (faster than my iPhone 3GS at least).

Right now your only options if you want AT&T 3G are to buy a Rogers R800a and unlock it, or find a developer phone (ebay is probably your best bet). There are reports of R800at models floating around (see link), but no guarantee of when or even if AT&T will carry it.

Message 15 of 23 (2,937 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.