Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 16, 2011
7:02:58 AM
Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY

Cant seem to find too much info on the carrier for this phone. From what I have found, they have not made a CDMA version of this phone, but Verizon seems to be pinged as the launch carrier (of course, they get all the cool phones). Does anyone know if AT&T is on the list be a carrier for this thing? If not, It might be time to make the switch. Thanks in advance.

Cant seem to find too much info on the carrier for this phone. From what I have found, they have not made a CDMA version of this phone, but Verizon seems to be pinged as the launch carrier (of course, they get all the cool phones). Does anyone know if AT&T is on the list be a carrier for this thing? If not, It might be time to make the switch. Thanks in advance.

Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY

22 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(22)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 4:23:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
It had to get FCC approval,then it goes to whatever carrier. They announced that VZW was getting the phone,it is POSSIBLE that T-Mo might get it,since they are not heavy with SE phones. at&t and T-Mo are the only two that are GSM capable. Keep an eye on it by watching it on CNET and enadget. These two are the sources of info for me for anything mobile.
It had to get FCC approval,then it goes to whatever carrier. They announced that VZW was getting the phone,it is POSSIBLE that T-Mo might get it,since they are not heavy with SE phones. at&t and T-Mo are the only two that are GSM capable. Keep an eye on it by watching it on CNET and enadget. These two are the sources of info for me for anything mobile.

Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY

2 of 23 (7,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 4:24:38 PM
(0)
Scholar
Meant to say "engadget". Sorry!!
Meant to say "engadget". Sorry!!

3 of 23 (7,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 8:03:15 PM
(0)
Master
It's already announced to come to Verizon.

http://news.vzw.com/news/2011/02/pr2011-02-13.html
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
It's already announced to come to Verizon.

http://news.vzw.com/news/2011/02/pr2011-02-13.html
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

4 of 23 (7,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 6:33:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

Crap. Verizon always snatches the cool stuff and AT&T gets the leftover crap.

Crap. Verizon always snatches the cool stuff and AT&T gets the leftover crap.

5 of 23 (7,012 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 7:15:50 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by infusion on Mar 30, 2011 at 8:01:26 PM

Early pictures showed the phone with an "Insert SIM" message on the screen, so I'm staying hopeful.

Also, if you look at the news for the CDMA version on PhoneArena.com, there is a statement by a Sony official that says they're considering multiple providers. Of course, PhoneArena also lists it as having a "Q1" release scheduled, and tomorrow's the last day of Q1. Unfortunately, Sony's website has Verizon badges both on the page and on the pictured phone.

I'm kinda bummed that it can't play all of the PSN content I've already downloaded for my PSP.

Early pictures showed the phone with an "Insert SIM" message on the screen, so I'm staying hopeful.

Also, if you look at the news for the CDMA version on PhoneArena.com, there is a statement by a Sony official that says they're considering multiple providers. Of course, PhoneArena also lists it as having a "Q1" release scheduled, and tomorrow's the last day of Q1. Unfortunately, Sony's website has Verizon badges both on the page and on the pictured phone.

I'm kinda bummed that it can't play all of the PSN content I've already downloaded for my PSP.

[ Edited ]
6 of 23 (6,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2011 2:52:41 AM
(0)
Master
I have read somewhere that the Experia Play was also being made in a GSM version and would be available overseas. Not sure where though. UK, maybe?
I have read somewhere that the Experia Play was also being made in a GSM version and would be available overseas. Not sure where though. UK, maybe?

7 of 23 (6,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2011 5:56:52 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well, everything that I have found anywhere is all pretty much saying the same thing: IF at&t does ever get it, who know when. My upgrade urge couldnt hold out and I picked up an HTC Inspire for $99 at a local retail store. What a bad a$$ phone! Its no PSP phone, but I guess Ill just to carry my PSP (and someday, the NGP) seperately. Sigh.

Well, everything that I have found anywhere is all pretty much saying the same thing: IF at&t does ever get it, who know when. My upgrade urge couldnt hold out and I picked up an HTC Inspire for $99 at a local retail store. What a bad a$$ phone! Its no PSP phone, but I guess Ill just to carry my PSP (and someday, the NGP) seperately. Sigh.

8 of 23 (6,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2011 6:21:12 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by infusion on Mar 31, 2011 at 6:55:01 AM

I saw a Canadian service provider (Rodgers, was it?) mentioned somewhere, as far as GSM goes.

Here's hoping they release an unlocked GSM version!

I saw a Canadian service provider (Rodgers, was it?) mentioned somewhere, as far as GSM goes.

Here's hoping they release an unlocked GSM version!

[ Edited ]
9 of 23 (6,275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2011 9:40:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by mlife on May 25, 2011 at 9:43:39 PM

The Xperia play will indeed be released in both CDMA as well GSM formats.. the CDMA version (verizon) is the R800x and the GSM is R800i.

The Xperia play will indeed be released in both CDMA as well GSM formats.. the CDMA version (verizon) is the R800x and the GSM is R800i.

[ Edited ]
10 of 23 (4,841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2011 6:10:13 AM
(0)
Tutor

ANy idea when? It sucks that I just got the Inspire tho.

ANy idea when? It sucks that I just got the Inspire tho.

11 of 23 (3,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2011 7:44:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

They have a couple of different GSM models.  The R800a is already available in Canada, and the R800at is most likely going to be the AT&T version.  Originally they said that other US carriers would get it just a few weeks after Verizon.  Hopefully that's the case.

It looks like someone already got their hands on one. 

Check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1054400

They have a couple of different GSM models.  The R800a is already available in Canada, and the R800at is most likely going to be the AT&T version.  Originally they said that other US carriers would get it just a few weeks after Verizon.  Hopefully that's the case.

It looks like someone already got their hands on one. 

Check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1054400

12 of 23 (3,247 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2011 7:52:38 AM
(0)
Contributor

The Play works great on AT&T Smiley Happy

The Play works great on AT&T Smiley Happy

13 of 23 (3,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2011 3:23:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

sk337sk337:  What version of the phone do you have? R800a/R800at/R800i ... I have read that the R800i does not support AT&T's 3G. Does 3G work on your phone? 

Does anyone here know if AT&T will officially release the xperia play?

sk337sk337:  What version of the phone do you have? R800a/R800at/R800i ... I have read that the R800i does not support AT&T's 3G. Does 3G work on your phone? 

Does anyone here know if AT&T will officially release the xperia play?

14 of 23 (3,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2011 1:51:09 PM
(0)
Voyager

I have the Xperia Play on AT&T. It is a R800a developer model (unlocked) from Google I/O. Works well, with fast 3G (faster than my iPhone 3GS at least).

Right now your only options if you want AT&T 3G are to buy a Rogers R800a and unlock it, or find a developer phone (ebay is probably your best bet). There are reports of R800at models floating around (see link), but no guarantee of when or even if AT&T will carry it.

I have the Xperia Play on AT&T. It is a R800a developer model (unlocked) from Google I/O. Works well, with fast 3G (faster than my iPhone 3GS at least).

Right now your only options if you want AT&T 3G are to buy a Rogers R800a and unlock it, or find a developer phone (ebay is probably your best bet). There are reports of R800at models floating around (see link), but no guarantee of when or even if AT&T will carry it.

15 of 23 (2,867 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2011 7:21:23 PM
(0)
Scholar
Yes, but WHEN?? I Really want the ARC, but I have not seen a release date for the US. Canada has before we do. What's up with that??
Yes, but WHEN?? I Really want the ARC, but I have not seen a release date for the US. Canada has before we do. What's up with that??

16 of 23 (2,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2011 8:00:32 PM
(0)
Master
You could always buy an unlocked ARC with AT&T 3G bands. I have seen a few sites that have them. Over course, this would be full retail price.
You could always buy an unlocked ARC with AT&T 3G bands. I have seen a few sites that have them. Over course, this would be full retail price.

17 of 23 (2,788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 9:21:04 PM
(0)
Scholar
I actually hope att doesn't pick up the play....I'd rather buy it else where and not be forced off of my non smart phone unlimited text and data.
I actually hope att doesn't pick up the play....I'd rather buy it else where and not be forced off of my non smart phone unlimited text and data.

18 of 23 (2,754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2011 10:56:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

Does anyone know if I buy an unlocked R800i it work on AT&T?  And how would I get it working?  Can someone at my local AT&T store set everything up?  Never did any of this phone stuff before, and I'm just incredibly tired of waiting for AT&T to get this phone.

Does anyone know if I buy an unlocked R800i it work on AT&T?  And how would I get it working?  Can someone at my local AT&T store set everything up?  Never did any of this phone stuff before, and I'm just incredibly tired of waiting for AT&T to get this phone.

19 of 23 (2,663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2011 11:45:43 AM
(0)
Voyager

Casepb wrote:

Don't buy a R800i unless you don't mind losing 3G. The R800i can only use EDGE (2G) on AT&T. Get an unlocked R800a, either a Rogers model or a developer phone (Ebay is your best bet).

I have an unlocked R800a developer phone, and it automatically configured itself for AT&T MMS and such when I started it for the first time. The Rogers model may take a little bit more tweaking, but it shouldn't be that hard.

Casepb wrote:

Don't buy a R800i unless you don't mind losing 3G. The R800i can only use EDGE (2G) on AT&T. Get an unlocked R800a, either a Rogers model or a developer phone (Ebay is your best bet).

I have an unlocked R800a developer phone, and it automatically configured itself for AT&T MMS and such when I started it for the first time. The Rogers model may take a little bit more tweaking, but it shouldn't be that hard.

20 of 23 (2,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2011 10:39:22 PM
(0)
Scholar

I have on good authority that we will see the 4G Xperia play launch the second week of November... right before the holidy rush.

I have on good authority that we will see the 4G Xperia play launch the second week of November... right before the holidy rush.

22 of 23 (1,957 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2012 6:54:06 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Taylarie on Jun 1, 2012 at 6:57:18 AM

No sense to get ANY Sony product at this point.  They have dropped the Play for ICS upgrades.  AT&T support seems oblivious to this, and there are no efforts to new users of these phones to compensate them for lack of support and false promises.  AT&T points to Sony, Sony simply shrugs and tells you to buy yet another one of their cell phones.

There will be no Xperia PLAY 2.  the Xperia ION is the next ICS version PLAY - per Sony.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

No sense to get ANY Sony product at this point.  They have dropped the Play for ICS upgrades.  AT&T support seems oblivious to this, and there are no efforts to new users of these phones to compensate them for lack of support and false promises.  AT&T points to Sony, Sony simply shrugs and tells you to buy yet another one of their cell phones.

There will be no Xperia PLAY 2.  the Xperia ION is the next ICS version PLAY - per Sony.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

[ Edited ]
23 of 23 (953 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments