Posted Mar 24, 2011
6:25:41 PM
View profile
Something nice from AT&T,...NOT!!

http://www.androidcentral.com/att-confirms-inspire-4g-does-not-feature-hsupa

Juts ordered the Inspire, not here yet but, is going back the next minute, unopened. Selling a 4G phone not capable of 4G, or I might do the same, my bank account is capable of high downloads speeds into it, but upload speeds back to them will be "0k", canceling tonight. Thanks for letting me know ahead of time AT&T.

Something nice from AT&T,...NOT!!

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 7:01:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

This has already been discussed extensively:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/HTC/HTC-Inspire-no-4G-upload-never/td-p/2685889

Keep in mind, its an intentional software block, not a hardware limitiation.  There is a hack to defeat the upload speed cap, for those that care to root and implement the hack.

But I'll agree that AT&T capping the upload speed, and trying to hide it, is not a great customer relations move.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Something nice from AT&T,...NOT!!

2 of 16 (832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 9:32:24 AM
(0)
Professor

This may or may not be accurate, but it appears that AT&T was ony following FCC rules.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/25/atandts-htc-inspire-4g-gets-fcc-permission-to-enable-hsupa/

Granted, AT&T should not be advertising a device as 4G if the functionality is not turned on.

3 of 16 (809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 9:47:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Mar 25, 2011 at 9:47:46 AM

That just sounds like AT&T didn't originally submit the phone as having HSUPA, and now they want to.  I don't see any reason for HSUPA to be restricted on this device by the FCC, when its enabled on others.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 16 (803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 11:09:28 AM
(0)
Teacher

Sorry if this was posted before, I just read somewhere that there is an update from HTC or AT&T about "activating" the fast upload speed, hope for the best, if that's the case will get it again. I know is not a limitation of the hardware, but the carrier and that's is my issue, hopefully the update will correct that.

5 of 16 (784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 12:47:07 PM
(0)
Scholar
Where is update info? I have an Inspire and no update can be found at either company that you have posted.

6 of 16 (763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 1:22:09 PM
(0)
Professor
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

7 of 16 (751 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 2:19:51 PM
(0)
Scholar
Just a heads up, your link goes to the main page, I am sure it works for you because of saved cookies. Copy and past needed to be done by others. In any case, found the info earlier, thanks.

8 of 16 (720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 2:47:38 PM
(0)
Professor
Thanks.. I was copying from a mobile view of website and I had deleted the mobile part of the address. I just didn't check to see if it worked properly.

9 of 16 (713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2011 6:40:58 AM
(0)
Professor

redpoint73 wrote:

That just sounds like AT&T didn't originally submit the phone as having HSUPA, and now they want to.  I don't see any reason for HSUPA to be restricted on this device by the FCC, when its enabled on others.

True that. The FCC has no reason to restrict AT&T from enabling HSUPA. Either this phone was rushed to the market before it was ready (not likely, but possible that the release of the Verizon iPhone may have played a part) or AT&T had no intentions of enabling HSUPA and unexpectedly got caught up in the bad PR fiasco, forcing it to make the change.

10 of 16 (653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2011 8:33:16 AM
(0)
Professor

sitnsidewayz wrote:

redpoint73 wrote:

True that. The FCC has no reason to restrict AT&T from enabling HSUPA. Either this phone was rushed to the market before it was ready (not likely, but possible that the release of the Verizon iPhone may have played a part) or AT&T had no intentions of enabling HSUPA and unexpectedly got caught up in the bad PR fiasco, forcing it to make the change.

But who actually submits the phone to the FCC, the manufacturer or the cell carrier?

From the way I read the stories, it appears that HTC is releasing the update that turns on HSUPA.  I would think that if AT&T was the culprit that AT&T would be the one's releasing the update.

11 of 16 (406 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2011 9:05:53 AM
(0)
Professor

satchev wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

redpoint73 wrote:

But who actually submits the phone to the FCC, the manufacturer or the cell carrier?

From the way I read the stories, it appears that HTC is releasing the update that turns on HSUPA.  I would think that if AT&T was the culprit that AT&T would be the one's releasing the update.

This is why I'm more inclined to believe it was AT&T's intentions to not have HSUPA enable at all and had to bow to pressure. HTC would release it this way if this is what AT&T requested. For what reason would HTC even want HSUPA disabled? It is obviously disabled in the firmware because peeps installing custom roms have been able to enable it. The stock rom is AT&T's rom. The submission to the FCC is trough HTC because they are the manufacturer of the device, but AT&T is still the one with the say so because this version of this model is exclusive to AT&T.

12 of 16 (400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 4:42:19 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Genuino on Mar 28, 2011 at 4:42:47 AM

Perhaps jumped the gun too quick, hope to see the update soon and perhaps will order the Inspire again. Not a big deal when browsing or using an app but sending emails and messages will take forever, in my case quite a few emails with pdf attachments and edited documents (I'm always on the road).

[ Edited ]
13 of 16 (357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 6:16:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

satchev wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

redpoint73 wrote:

As already mentioned, the manufacturer needs to submit the device to the FCC.  The ROM update is also created by the manufacturer, but they do so under heavy instruction from the carrier (basically made to order).  And the ROM update will go nowhere until its tested and approved by AT&T. 

AT&T doesn't actually "create" anything (in terms of ROM updates), that's HTC's job.  But ATT is the customer, the one that pays the bills, and HTC does whatever ATT tells them to.  As to who will "release" it (i. e., where you will find it officially posted), you will probably see it both on HTC's website and here.

14 of 16 (341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 10:22:01 AM
(0)
Professor

15 of 16 (319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2011 7:22:37 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Genuino on Mar 29, 2011 at 7:23:23 AM

That could bring me back to buying the Inspire :smileyhappy:, which by the way is $0.01!, if you buy from costco online, no tax :smileyhappy:.

[ Edited ]
16 of 16 (286 Views)