Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 28, 2011
10:59:14 AM
View profile
Solution for Android Wifi problem - connecting, but no Internet access

Over the weekend I experienced an issue that appears to be common among Android devices (not just HTC)--you connect to a wireless access point via WiFi (that you may have successfully accessed before) and yet you cannot get internet access.

I found numerous references to this issue on the Internet, with all sorts of suggestions that had limited or no success, such as rebooting, battery removal for 10 minutes, resetting to factory condition (ouch!), deleting and re-adding the wireless network or running this app or the other that purports to fix the problem.

I had no success with any of the suggestions (I did NOT do a factory reset as that would mean reinstalling all apps, data, settings, etc.!).

Being a bit more technically-minded, I looked a bit deeper into the problem.

What appears to be happening is the Android device is "remembering" a previous IP address from another system and using it when there is the least bit of trouble. 

For example...the system that I was attempting to access at my mother-in-law's used an IP addressing scheme of 192.168.1.xxx, but when trying to connect--the phone would report that it had an IP address such as 169.172.25.76.

The SOLUTION...

I used a free APP from the Android Market called IPCONFIG which allows you to override DHCP addresses and implement a "fixed" IP address.

So...I configured for a fixed address that I knew what in the submet address range of the network, connected and it worked.

One thing to remember, though is to reconfigure for DHCP assigned-addressing instead of fixed addresses before you connect to your next network or you may have problems.  Ideally, you always want to use DHCP so there are no addressing conflicts.

So far, over-riding just once to gain a good connection and then resetting for DHCP has solved the problem.

I hope this post saves others the frustration and aggravation that I experienced.

Over the weekend I experienced an issue that appears to be common among Android devices (not just HTC)--you connect to a wireless access point via WiFi (that you may have successfully accessed before) and yet you cannot get internet access.

I found numerous references to this issue on the Internet, with all sorts of suggestions that had limited or no success, such as rebooting, battery removal for 10 minutes, resetting to factory condition (ouch!), deleting and re-adding the wireless network or running this app or the other that purports to fix the problem.

I had no success with any of the suggestions (I did NOT do a factory reset as that would mean reinstalling all apps, data, settings, etc.!).

Being a bit more technically-minded, I looked a bit deeper into the problem.

What appears to be happening is the Android device is "remembering" a previous IP address from another system and using it when there is the least bit of trouble. 

For example...the system that I was attempting to access at my mother-in-law's used an IP addressing scheme of 192.168.1.xxx, but when trying to connect--the phone would report that it had an IP address such as 169.172.25.76.

The SOLUTION...

I used a free APP from the Android Market called IPCONFIG which allows you to override DHCP addresses and implement a "fixed" IP address.

So...I configured for a fixed address that I knew what in the submet address range of the network, connected and it worked.

One thing to remember, though is to reconfigure for DHCP assigned-addressing instead of fixed addresses before you connect to your next network or you may have problems.  Ideally, you always want to use DHCP so there are no addressing conflicts.

So far, over-riding just once to gain a good connection and then resetting for DHCP has solved the problem.

I hope this post saves others the frustration and aggravation that I experienced.

Solution for Android Wifi problem - connecting, but no Internet access

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2012 10:13:13 AM
(0)
Scholar

Replying to my own post so that it may be tagged as a SOLUTION.

Replying to my own post so that it may be tagged as a SOLUTION.

Re: Solution for Android Wifi problem - connecting, but no Internet access

2 of 4 (23,382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2012 6:59:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Don't have the Vivid, or issues with WiFi, but thanks for posting the solution you found, for the benefit of others.

Don't have the Vivid, or issues with WiFi, but thanks for posting the solution you found, for the benefit of others.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 4 (23,340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2012 12:18:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

Dear rdcinhou,

Im glad that I finally found a fix to this problem. I have had the same problem and I still have it. Now I am not as technically minded like you, but I would give this fix a try. Could you please send me a detailed description of how to use IPCONFIG (App).

I hope that you still read this message. Thanks in advance for helping me out!

Kevin Knops-

Dear rdcinhou,

Im glad that I finally found a fix to this problem. I have had the same problem and I still have it. Now I am not as technically minded like you, but I would give this fix a try. Could you please send me a detailed description of how to use IPCONFIG (App).

I hope that you still read this message. Thanks in advance for helping me out!

Kevin Knops-

4 of 4 (21,050 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments