Solution for Alternate Connection Problems

Tutor

Solution for Alternate Connection Problems

I got a 3G Microcell yesterday and had a lot of problems setting it up, but finally FOUND the solution and now it works fine!!!

I wanted to use the alternate connection shown in the users manual.  First, I set it up the normal way to make sure it was activated properly.  I then set it up with the alternate connection but couldn't get it to operate properly.

I needed to do the alternate connection for two reasons - first, my router already had all 4 ports in use and second, i wanted the best call quality.  But when I hooked it up per the drawing, I couldn't connect to the Internet.  The internet light on both the router and the 3g Microcell were flashing and I had no Internet connectivity or 3G use..

After much thought and time on the tech support line I realized that neither the router nor the 3G Microcell had received an IP address from my ISP (without an IP address, no internet and no 3G).

I powered down the modem, router, and the 3G Microcell and disconnected all three units..

First - I powered up the modem and waited until all four lights were on solid.

Second - I connected the modem to the ethernet port on the 3G Microcell and plugged in the 3G Microcell to the AC power supply and waited - this was necessary for the 3G Microcell to obtain an IP address from my ISP.  I waited until the (from the top) first 3 lights were solid and the bottom light was solid (the fourth light was off at this time).

Third - I connected the Computer port (this is a passthru port and does not change or modify the signal from the modem) on the 3G Microcell to the Wan Port on the router (this is the port on the router that you normally plug the modem into).  I then powered up the router and waited until if fully booted up (it received an IP address from the ISP thru the modem) and Voila!!! everything worked perfectly.  Apparently, if these are all powered up at the same time, they fight for an IP address and never properly boot up).

I leave the modem and the 3G Microcell on all of the time and can still power down my router when not in use.

This morning, I powered up the router (everything else was on from last night) and everything is still working fine!!!

Hope this helps

Message 1 of 6 (2,290 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Re: Solution for Alternate Connection Problems

Kuzkids wrote:

I got a 3G Microcell yesterday and had a lot of problems setting it up, but finally FOUND the solution and now it works fine!!!

I wanted to use the alternate connection shown in the users manual.  First, I set it up the normal way to make sure it was activated properly.  I then set it up with the alternate connection but couldn't get it to operate properly.

I needed to do the alternate connection for two reasons - first, my router already had all 4 ports in use and second, i wanted the best call quality.  But when I hooked it up per the drawing, I couldn't connect to the Internet.  The internet light on both the router and the 3g Microcell were flashing and I had no Internet connectivity or 3G use..

After much thought and time on the tech support line I realized that neither the router nor the 3G Microcell had received an IP address from my ISP (without an IP address, no internet and no 3G).

I powered down the modem, router, and the 3G Microcell and disconnected all three units..

First - I powered up the modem and waited until all four lights were on solid.

Second - I connected the modem to the ethernet port on the 3G Microcell and plugged in the 3G Microcell to the AC power supply and waited - this was necessary for the 3G Microcell to obtain an IP address from my ISP.  I waited until the (from the top) first 3 lights were solid and the bottom light was solid (the fourth light was off at this time).

Third - I connected the Computer port (this is a passthru port and does not change or modify the signal from the modem) on the 3G Microcell to the Wan Port on the router (this is the port on the router that you normally plug the modem into).  I then powered up the router and waited until if fully booted up (it received an IP address from the ISP thru the modem) and Voila!!! everything worked perfectly.  Apparently, if these are all powered up at the same time, they fight for an IP address and never properly boot up).

I leave the modem and the 3G Microcell on all of the time and can still power down my router when not in use.

This morning, I powered up the router (everything else was on from last night) and everything is still working fine!!!

Hope this helps

By alternate connection I assume you mean Priority Mode, which is modem -> MicroCell - > router. If you couldn't get it work using the "standard" connection, modem -> router -> MicroCell, my guess is that you had a "double" NAT configured (modem as well as router). I'm glad to hear that you got it to work though. These things can be a royal pain in the a$$ if they don't configure correctly the first time. FWIW, mine is configured the "standard" way (and has always been) but I've assigned a static IP to the MicroCell and have routed the necessary ports to that address. All of my devices, DSL gateway, router, and MicroCell, are on a single power strip so when I have to power down/up, I just power all of the devices at the same time. Works everytime, even after AT&T updates.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (2,275 Views)
Tutor

As stated in the previous post, One of the reasons I went with the Alternate Connection (Priority Mode) was to get better call quality.  As a added bonus, I have 3G Microcell access even after I shut down my network for the day.  I do not leave my router on when I am sleeping (for example) but I always leave the 3G Microcell on so I always have my 4-5 bars.

Message 3 of 6 (2,270 Views)
ACE - Master

I'm glad it works for you. If anything, the MicroCell problems have made a lot of us very creative in trying to get it to work relliably. FWIW, we have never had any call quality problems with any of our phones in "standard" mode (iPhone 3GSs, 4S, etc). It's amazing how the same device can have such a wide variety of issues and problems with just as many fixes. But then again, that's what we're here for. To pay AT&T to beta test their MicroCell Smiley Frustrated

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6 (2,246 Views)
Tutor

I forgot to mention - I got mine for free...

I called att tech support and they told me I was just outside the 'good" reception area because of a high density of cell phone users around my cell tower.  They connected me to my local att store and, after talking with the manager and his review of my tech support call log, He agreed  to provide the 3G Microcell at no cost.  They said the price was $199.  I'm glad I didn't have to pay that...

Message 5 of 6 (2,217 Views)
ACE - Master

Cool. I only paid $50 for mine way back when.

Message 6 of 6 (2,197 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.