Software update for Skyrocket downloads but won't complete.

Scholar

Software update for Skyrocket downloads but won't complete.

Just got a Device Management message that a software update for my Skyrocket was available from AT&T, and it automatically connected and started downloading the 20 megs or so.  It went throught the installation process, but as the progress bar got to 75% or so, the screen went dark and the phone rebooted, showing an error message "Install interrupted.  The software update could not be installed at this time."  So I went into Settings/Software Update, clicked on Check For Updates, and it again went through the same download & install process, with the same error result.  I tried again, and this time it told me that my software was up to date, and that I could check again in about 24 hours.  I am still running Android v2.3.5.

Anyone out there have any idea what this update is for, and why it won't install?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 93 (11,821 Views)
Teacher

Re: Software update for Skyrocket downloads but won't complete.

tcblack wrote:

I cannot see any other differences yet.   

The incoming call screen uses the same (new) round buttons as the unlock screen.

Also 2.3.6 is supposed to include a fix to the voice search.  I double checked the settings and it seems that I now have the choice between vlingo and google, which I don't recall having before the update.

Message 31 of 93 (2,681 Views)
Contributor

This is what Samsung tech support said:

There is an issue with the update.

The FOTA update for EMR1(KK1) has been stopped by AT&T and could resume at a later date.

The update was delivered to approximately 31,000 devices.

Once the update is official again, it will be posted on the Samsung website or you will get notification on the phone.

Message 32 of 93 (2,675 Views)
Teacher

that's old news.  They pulled 2.3.6 a while back for this reason.  But this new update seems to be the corrected version of 2.3.6 that they pulled after 31,000 downloaded it a few months back

Message 33 of 93 (2,654 Views)
Tutor

Geez what a joke. I'm glad I'm in the midst of renewal soon here lots to think about before I renew with At&t lol
Message 34 of 93 (2,516 Views)
Scholar

How did you get it to install?  Did you do it over the air?  Did you have 2.3.5 or 2.3.6 installed?

tcblack wrote:

It is installing on mine right now (84% and climbing).

<pause>95%

<pause>

99% <long pause>

100% "update is OK"

...<Reboot>...

Nothing new on the boot screen.  Though it does take much longer once the logo has been drawn and "rethink possible" is etched on the screen.  Normally, I'm only at this screen for a second or two.  It was at least a minute or more.

Hmm....

• The unlock screen is different.  It now shows a concentric circle with a padlock when I touch it telling me to swipe to unlock.
  • The device management page is up when I unlock.  All it says is, "Installation completed.  The software has been successfully installed.  Your phone is now ready to use."
  • Build number is not Gingerbread.ucla3  (I do not recall what it was before.)
  • Android Version 2.3.6
  • Kernel 2.6.35.11

I cannot see any other differences yet.  

Message 35 of 93 (2,466 Views)
Voyager

I'm on 2.3.5. OK, finally got the update downloaded. But when it rebooted it went into CWM !?! LOL Then told me the update got interuppted...??? Where is the OTAU downloaded to so I could run it manually? Anyone know? Thanks.

Message 36 of 93 (2,260 Views)
Mentor

I'm another one.  I got a message about an update being available, tried to download it and it failed on install.  I'm still on 2.3.5.  I was really hoping for ICS since they have been saying in Q1 2012.    I'm also on an unlimited plan so that may have something to do with it.  I still quite bothered that I'm being throttled when I get to 2GB.  It doesn't really slow down, it stops.  If it went to 3G speeds, I'd probably be able to accept that, but once I go over the 2GB, I can't do anything.

Message 37 of 93 (2,153 Views)
Contributor

I was having the same problem but then i decided to try to do a factory restore and then try updating. This worked the first time. ((**** Be sure you back up your photos/apps/contacts before you do this! ****))  Hope this helps!

Message 38 of 93 (2,101 Views)
Tutor

Hmm thanks for the tip I'll try it. Did you see any difference, do you know what the update is for?
Message 39 of 93 (2,085 Views)
Contributor

The differences i noticed are the same as posed above. The lock screen and the dialer look slightly different. Other than that i have not noticed any real differences. Of course i am still re setting up my phone after the factory restore Smiley Tongue.

Message 40 of 93 (2,073 Views)
Tutor

Lol I'm scared lol this is my first time in 3 years I'm dealing with an Android OS so any info you can provide would be Awesome lol :-)
Message 41 of 93 (2,039 Views)
Contributor

Nothing to it. Back up contacts to Google or SD card. Connect phone to pc and get photos. Android saves appdata via google so when u re-download app it should keep all the settings.

Message 42 of 93 (1,984 Views)
Teacher

so to get this update we have to wipe everything and restore from backup?  Not worth it

Message 43 of 93 (1,961 Views)
Contributor

Same problem here - failed 3 times
Message 44 of 93 (1,925 Views)
Mentor

Failing for me, too (3 times!)
Message 45 of 93 (1,918 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.