Wireless Forums

Posted Feb 21, 2012
12:14:15 PM
View profile
Software update for Skyrocket downloads but won't complete.

Just got a Device Management message that a software update for my Skyrocket was available from AT&T, and it automatically connected and started downloading the 20 megs or so.  It went throught the installation process, but as the progress bar got to 75% or so, the screen went dark and the phone rebooted, showing an error message "Install interrupted.  The software update could not be installed at this time."  So I went into Settings/Software Update, clicked on Check For Updates, and it again went through the same download & install process, with the same error result.  I tried again, and this time it told me that my software was up to date, and that I could check again in about 24 hours.  I am still running Android v2.3.5.

Anyone out there have any idea what this update is for, and why it won't install?  Thanks.

Just got a Device Management message that a software update for my Skyrocket was available from AT&T, and it automatically connected and started downloading the 20 megs or so.  It went throught the installation process, but as the progress bar got to 75% or so, the screen went dark and the phone rebooted, showing an error message "Install interrupted.  The software update could not be installed at this time."  So I went into Settings/Software Update, clicked on Check For Updates, and it again went through the same download & install process, with the same error result.  I tried again, and this time it told me that my software was up to date, and that I could check again in about 24 hours.  I am still running Android v2.3.5.

Anyone out there have any idea what this update is for, and why it won't install?  Thanks.

Software update for Skyrocket downloads but won't complete.

92 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(92)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 12:34:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

same for me

same for me

Re: Software update for Skyrocket downloads but won't complete.

2 of 93 (11,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 12:42:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

same here, anyone know what this update is?  2.3.6?

same here, anyone know what this update is?  2.3.6?

3 of 93 (11,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 12:43:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

same here, I assume this is the promised ICS update.

same here, I assume this is the promised ICS update.

4 of 93 (11,340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 12:47:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
I doubt that, I've heard no rumors of ICS anytime soon. Samsung and AT&T seem to be very slow when working together. My mom's Infuse still hasn't gotten the Gingerbread update (2.3.6) that was supposed to go out last August 2011.
I doubt that, I've heard no rumors of ICS anytime soon. Samsung and AT&T seem to be very slow when working together. My mom's Infuse still hasn't gotten the Gingerbread update (2.3.6) that was supposed to go out last August 2011.

5 of 93 (11,316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 12:49:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

ICS has been long rumored to be Q1 2012. thats by next month.

ICS has been long rumored to be Q1 2012. thats by next month.

6 of 93 (11,307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 12:50:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same here tried twice and both failed to update....

Same here tried twice and both failed to update....

7 of 93 (11,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 12:52:56 PM
(0)
Tutor
Regarding Q1 2012,. Based on what I've seen from their support with the Infuse, I don't have very high hopes.
Regarding Q1 2012,. Based on what I've seen from their support with the Infuse, I don't have very high hopes.

8 of 93 (11,270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 12:55:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

Good point, I don't trust ATT to be on time with the update, but I can hope that the update thats being pushed in the timeframe they gave is ICS. I won't hold my breath though.

Good point, I don't trust ATT to be on time with the update, but I can hope that the update thats being pushed in the timeframe they gave is ICS. I won't hold my breath though.

9 of 93 (11,251 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 12:56:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

Mine did this same thing.:smileysad:

Mine did this same thing.:smileysad:

10 of 93 (11,240 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:04:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same issue. BUT I already had 2.3.6 installed on my skyrocket. So I am wondering what this update is. since I already had 2.3.6.

I have the same issue. BUT I already had 2.3.6 installed on my skyrocket. So I am wondering what this update is. since I already had 2.3.6.

11 of 93 (8,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:06:16 PM
(0)
Voyager
Is this update in any regards related to the Data Usage on the LTE Network phones? , are they trying to track our usage completely and slow us down intermittently on the go? drop us to 2g/Edge when we cross a limit? are all you guy'z who received the update, unlimited data users?
Is this update in any regards related to the Data Usage on the LTE Network phones? , are they trying to track our usage completely and slow us down intermittently on the go? drop us to 2g/Edge when we cross a limit? are all you guy'z who received the update, unlimited data users?

12 of 93 (8,923 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:07:11 PM
(0)
Contributor
I actually downloaded it 3 different times successfully but it failed each time after the restart. now it says I have to wait 24 hours before i can check for a nother update and that my software is currently up to date even though it is same 2.3 .6
I actually downloaded it 3 different times successfully but it failed each time after the restart. now it says I have to wait 24 hours before i can check for a nother update and that my software is currently up to date even though it is same 2.3 .6

13 of 93 (8,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:07:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm in the same camp as you guys. I tried it twice and it failed both times at 75% on the white screen. Then my phone boots up as usual.

I'm in the same camp as you guys. I tried it twice and it failed both times at 75% on the white screen. Then my phone boots up as usual.

14 of 93 (8,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:09:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm not an unlimited user so I can't image then hindering my data since I pay for 2GB and never go over. But maybe it is for other unlimited LTE users?

I'm not an unlimited user so I can't image then hindering my data since I pay for 2GB and never go over. But maybe it is for other unlimited LTE users?

15 of 93 (8,901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:09:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

Ha! you bring up a very interesting point.  I had the same problem, the download never completed.  And now you got me thinking, cause I am under an unlimited data plan.

Ha! you bring up a very interesting point.  I had the same problem, the download never completed.  And now you got me thinking, cause I am under an unlimited data plan.

16 of 93 (8,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:13:40 PM
(0)
Master

If I would guess, it will be GB 2.3.6 with Carrier IQ removed.

ICS update will be much much later and much larger in size (think 200MB). The rumored ICS date (3/1) is for international versions of SGS2 and Note. AT&T versions will probably wait another 3 to 6 months.  

If I would guess, it will be GB 2.3.6 with Carrier IQ removed.

ICS update will be much much later and much larger in size (think 200MB). The rumored ICS date (3/1) is for international versions of SGS2 and Note. AT&T versions will probably wait another 3 to 6 months.  

17 of 93 (8,868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:17:05 PM
(0)
Voyager
If we ever able to get his update downloaded and installed, do any of you know if we can undo it and go back to 2.3.5 (currently on my Sky) can we back up the firmware like we do on iPhone? any suggestions!
If we ever able to get his update downloaded and installed, do any of you know if we can undo it and go back to 2.3.5 (currently on my Sky) can we back up the firmware like we do on iPhone? any suggestions!

18 of 93 (8,849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:20:40 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same here, downloaded got to 75% on white screen and then it rebooted. 

Same here, downloaded got to 75% on white screen and then it rebooted. 

19 of 93 (8,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:22:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've tried twice, says I have to wait 24 hours, but says my software is up to date  and shows version 2.3.5

I've tried twice, says I have to wait 24 hours, but says my software is up to date  and shows version 2.3.5

20 of 93 (8,815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:24:39 PM
(0)
Master

desibugzz wrote:

No you can't. It is a one way street unless you track down a 2.3.5 firmware and know how to use ODIN to flash it yourself.

desibugzz wrote:

No you can't. It is a one way street unless you track down a 2.3.5 firmware and know how to use ODIN to flash it yourself.

21 of 93 (9,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:25:34 PM
(0)
Master

kevin8er wrote:

24-hour thing is easily fixed by clear the app data of Device Management app.

kevin8er wrote:

24-hour thing is easily fixed by clear the app data of Device Management app.

22 of 93 (9,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:27:10 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by djxpress75 on Feb 21, 2012 at 1:27:37 PM

Ditto.  Mine did the full download, but upon install (white screen), it failed at 75%

Ditto.  Mine did the full download, but upon install (white screen), it failed at 75%

[ Edited ]
23 of 93 (9,183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:28:37 PM
(0)
Contributor
Just talked to att and it is a maintenance release from Samsung. It should update your Build Number gingerbread.ucla3 . Att is not sure if it is an over the air issue. Try updating from kies mini.
Just talked to att and it is a maintenance release from Samsung. It should update your Build Number gingerbread.ucla3 . Att is not sure if it is an over the air issue. Try updating from kies mini.

24 of 93 (9,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:51:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

It is installing on mine right now (84% and climbing).

<pause>95%

<pause>

99% <long pause>

100% "update is OK"

...<Reboot>...

Nothing new on the boot screen.  Though it does take much longer once the logo has been drawn and "rethink possible" is etched on the screen.  Normally, I'm only at this screen for a second or two.  It was at least a minute or more.

Hmm....

• The unlock screen is different.  It now shows a concentric circle with a padlock when I touch it telling me to swipe to unlock.
  • The device management page is up when I unlock.  All it says is, "Installation completed.  The software has been successfully installed.  Your phone is now ready to use."
  • Build number is not Gingerbread.ucla3  (I do not recall what it was before.)
  • Android Version 2.3.6
  • Kernel 2.6.35.11

I cannot see any other differences yet.  

It is installing on mine right now (84% and climbing).

<pause>95%

<pause>

99% <long pause>

100% "update is OK"

...<Reboot>...

Nothing new on the boot screen.  Though it does take much longer once the logo has been drawn and "rethink possible" is etched on the screen.  Normally, I'm only at this screen for a second or two.  It was at least a minute or more.

Hmm....

• The unlock screen is different.  It now shows a concentric circle with a padlock when I touch it telling me to swipe to unlock.
  • The device management page is up when I unlock.  All it says is, "Installation completed.  The software has been successfully installed.  Your phone is now ready to use."
  • Build number is not Gingerbread.ucla3  (I do not recall what it was before.)
  • Android Version 2.3.6
  • Kernel 2.6.35.11

I cannot see any other differences yet.  

25 of 93 (9,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:56:11 PM
(0)
Teacher

Subsequent reboot was much much faster.  Perhaps back to normal.

Subsequent reboot was much much faster.  Perhaps back to normal.

26 of 93 (9,037 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 1:58:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

How do you update from Kies Mini. I opened Kies Air and on my  pc it shows no place to update phone

How do you update from Kies Mini. I opened Kies Air and on my  pc it shows no place to update phone

27 of 93 (9,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 2:02:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

THANKS! That worked.

THANKS! That worked.

28 of 93 (8,998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 2:15:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

How did you get it to work?  I too only have Kies Air, not Kies Mini.

How did you get it to work?  I too only have Kies Air, not Kies Mini.

29 of 93 (8,929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 2:18:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

THIS IS REALLY PISSin' ME OFF!!! Gets to 75% and says "update is fail" not only is the grammer bad, but the stupid update won't install after 4 freakin trys!!!!!!

THIS IS REALLY PISSin' ME OFF!!! Gets to 75% and says "update is fail" not only is the grammer bad, but the stupid update won't install after 4 freakin trys!!!!!!

30 of 93 (8,912 Views)