Helpful Links

So will we be able to get the new Market Android is releasing?

Teacher

So will we be able to get the new Market Android is releasing?

I figure it is good to ask now instead of being disappointed after the fact, but I see that Google is releasing a new version of the Android Market in the coming weeks. Will non-rooted phones be able to get this or are we looking at another hold-up (a la the Amazon appstore) while AT&T does its "testing"?

Message 1 of 21
Professor

Re: So will we be able to get the new Market Android is releasing?

ilikewireless wrote:
Yay! I got Market V3.0.27 working!

I'll post what I did:
1. Log into Google Talk, using my friend's Wifi.
2. Click on Market.

A possible explanation is that Google Talk uses a port that is blocked by my ISP.

Now I can use Market from home.

Amendment to the above post:

My ISP blocks Google Talk on my Tab but they did not block Google Talk on my desktop.

I have since then down rated my ISP by 1 starSmiley Mad

Message 16 of 21
Professor

Ann154 wrote:
The CM7 ROM that I am using required me to flash the gapps after flashing the ROM. The device is also old enough that I am technically not even supposed to get the 3.0.27 version of the Android Market. Even so I have Gingerbread 2.3.4 on it. I never got the 2.3.6 version pushed to when I was running a CM6 ROM on the device.

I wish I were as smart as you.Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 21
Master

Those developers are a heck of a lot smarter than me. My device that is rooted is SO super easy to root. It literally has an application on the market and I followed the instructions. There were bumps in the road, but once I had the thing flashed to the first ROM I didn't change it for months. I had to refresh myself of the steps just to get flash Gingerbread on it.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 18 of 21
Professor

Thanks to the Internet and people who provide useful sources of information. I was able to root my Tab for the joy of exploring and taking a look under the hood of an Android device.

I had fun with rooting but I don't know if I ever would do it again, after the mishap that nearly made my Tab unusable. For the benefit of readers, I would say to take caution when removing Market and installing a new one. I removed Market, knowing that it has a RED legend indicated in Titanium Backup app. Then I damaged the Tab's filesystem but was able to recover completely from the mishap. It was quite an experience doing a complete sd disk wipe, followed by factory reset. However if anyone knows what they are doing, it should be safe (always do it at your own risk).

I think I will be wiser in removing any system file. I will try to validate my procedure against reliable sources of information on the Internet, before I proceed to work on the device.

Message 19 of 21
Highlighted

ilikewireless wrote:

Thanks to the Internet and people who provide useful sources of information. I was able to root my Tab for the joy of exploring and taking a look under the hood of an Android device.

I had fun with rooting but I don't know if I ever would do it again, after the mishap that nearly made my Tab unusable. For the benefit of readers, I would say to take caution when removing Market and installing a new one. I removed Market, knowing that it has a RED legend indicated in Titanium Backup app. Then I damaged the Tab's filesystem but was able to recover completely from the mishap. It was quite an experience doing a complete sd disk wipe, followed by factory reset. However if anyone knows what they are doing, it should be safe (always do it at your own risk).

I think I will be wiser in removing any system file. I will try to validate my procedure against reliable sources of information on the Internet, before I proceed to work on the device.

Titanium Backup is very powerful.  System apps should never be removed, but instead Frozen.  Same with bloatware but they are safer to uninstall.  Yes, be careful what you uninstall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Message 20 of 21
Professor

hidden_dragon wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

Titanium Backup is very powerful.  System apps should never be removed, but instead Frozen.  Same with bloatware but they are safer to uninstall.  Yes, be careful what you uninstall.

Hidden_dragon, thanks for the tip. I was evaluating the great power of Titanium. Smiley Happy

Wow, 13,271 posts!

Message 21 of 21
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support