So what if I'm in the 2%?

Tutor

So what if I'm in the 2%?

AT&T claims that their tiered data plans work for 98% of their customers. What if I'm in that 2% that is actually going to use the data connection? Is there any way to get the unlimited plan if I haven't had one in the past? I've used their bandwidth calculator on their website, and it looks like I'm going to be using considerably more than 2 gb.

I have a lengthy daily commute with a lot of downtime, and have no interest in lugging my computer around any longer than I have to. Plus the wifi is pitifully slow here- I can't even stream pandora!

So has AT&T alienated me? Or is there some way for them to accomodate my projected data usage? 

I should probably just go to tmobile...

I'd honestly be happy with simply 3G. It probably doesn't work like that, but i'd take unlimited 3g over 2gb 4g any day. 

Message 1 of 12 (660 Views)
Employee

Re: So what if I'm in the 2%?

unlimited data for smartphones is no more and if you don't currently have it there is no way to add it. you can however have 4GB for $45 which includes tethering.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 12 (654 Views)
Tutor

Well, then it looks like t mobile for me. Its ridiculous that they expect me to be happy with a bandwidth cap under my expected usage WHILE paying 1.5 times as much for it as my friends do for unlimited.

Thanks, I was really hoping that there would be a way to get around it somehow, since they don't offer a suitable plan for me.
Message 3 of 12 (639 Views)
Expert

Robanada wrote:
Well, then it looks like t mobile for me. Its ridiculous that they expect me to be happy with a bandwidth cap under my expected usage WHILE paying 1.5 times as much for it as my friends do for unlimited.

Thanks, I was really hoping that there would be a way to get around it somehow, since they don't offer a suitable plan for me.

might want to review t-mobiles plan also, their "unlimited plans" are softcapped like numerous other providers - exceed a specific amount of usage per month and your bandwidth availability is capped until the end of your billing cycle, or in some cases turned off.

But if you think that you will be happier at another provider, then go for it - pay of any etf you have and make the move to our friends carrier

Message 4 of 12 (624 Views)
Employee

and with T-Mobile you might get switched to at&t next year lol
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 12 (608 Views)
Tutor

wingrider01 wrote:

Robanada wrote:

might want to review t-mobiles plan also, their "unlimited plans" are softcapped like numerous other providers - exceed a specific amount of usage per month and your bandwidth availability is capped until the end of your billing cycle, or in some cases turned off.

But if you think that you will be happier at another provider, then go for it - pay of any etf you have and make the move to our friends carrier

Yeah, but even with the softcap, at least I'm not paying for overage, or completely cut off. Maybe I won't be able to listen to music, but at least I can still browse the internet reasonably.
I've been off of a contract for 3 years, so I have pretty good mobility right now Smiley Tongue T-mobile would be the same price as the 4gb plan at at&t for me per month (same minutes and all), so it's really looking like a good deal to me at this point.
What do you mean by "our friends carrier"?

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Yeah, with the acquisition of t-mobile by at&t, I'm hoping that they'll honor tmobile's contract (and maybe I can roll it over), but if not, then they'll cancel it and I'll have the subsidized phone, so... not a total loss.

Message 6 of 12 (587 Views)
Expert

Robanada wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Robanada wrote:

Yeah, but even with the softcap, at least I'm not paying for overage, or completely cut off. Maybe I won't be able to listen to music, but at least I can still browse the internet reasonably.
I've been off of a contract for 3 years, so I have pretty good mobility right now Smiley Tongue T-mobile would be the same price as the 4gb plan at at&t for me per month (same minutes and all), so it's really looking like a good deal to me at this point.
What do you mean by "our friends carrier"?

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Yeah, with the acquisition of t-mobile by at&t, I'm hoping that they'll honor tmobile's contract (and maybe I can roll it over), but if not, then they'll cancel it and I'll have the subsidized phone, so... not a total loss.

they may honor the contract but they probaby will not offer it any more. Not even the new soft capped unlimited data/text/voice for 80.00 plan that t-mobile is getting ready to release

Message 7 of 12 (571 Views)
Tutor

wingrider01 wrote:
they may honor the contract but they probaby will not offer it any more. Not even the new soft capped unlimited data/text/voice for 80.00 plan that t-mobile is getting ready to release

Yeah, well, I'm hoping that I'm not alone in abandoning ship here because of the capped data- I'm sure that my single defection would go unnoticed. Still, i can't help but feel very alienated by this move, and it solidifies my shady perception of AT&T. If I can deprive a sketchy company of income because of some unacceptable failure on their part, I'm all for it. I know that in a few months, it won't make a difference anyway, but as long as I'm doing my part in standing up, I suppose that's something...albeit small. 

Message 8 of 12 (533 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Robanada wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Yeah, well, I'm hoping that I'm not alone in abandoning ship here because of the capped data- I'm sure that my single defection would go unnoticed. Still, i can't help but feel very alienated by this move, and it solidifies my shady perception of AT&T. If I can deprive a sketchy company of income because of some unacceptable failure on their part, I'm all for it. I know that in a few months, it won't make a difference anyway, but as long as I'm doing my part in standing up, I suppose that's something...albeit small. 

if oyu are abandoning ship for the capped data issue, might want to carefully read the acceptable use terms for all the providers, down to cricket wireless, they all have a clause about softcapping or hard capping data usage on their "unlimited plans"

Hopefully you find what you want at another provider, but read the terms carefully - ALL of them

Message 9 of 12 (531 Views)

I use my iphone excessively on the web between youtube, pandora, email and web browsing and NEVER go over my 2 gig package. I come close sometimes, but NEVER go over. I just don't get the panic.

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.
Message 10 of 12 (471 Views)
Mentor

AT&T is also the only carrier that allows you free wifi usage-anytime you are connected with wifi, you will not be charged from your data package for things like that.

You may also opt to change to the $45.00 data pro 4GB + tethering plan for smartphones.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 12 (372 Views)
Employee

no carrier charges you to use wifi. some places may charge you for wifi but the carrier will not unless its an upfront charge that I haven't even seen in years.
Employee Contributor*
Message 12 of 12 (361 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.