So thats it, its official ATT doesnt care

Scholar

Re: So that's it, its official ATT doesnt care

As bad as AT&T customer service is, it's gold quality compared to Sprint. Sprint consistently has some of the worst customer service ratings in the industry.

Message 61 of 124 (576 Views)
Teacher

dww0311 wrote:

As bad as AT&T customer service is, it's gold quality compared to Sprint. Sprint consistently has some of the worst customer service ratings in the industry.

Where is your source ? I am sure no one company consistently satisfies most of their customers. At least the link below is objective:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/10/06/iphone-4s-att-vs-verizon-vs-sprint-which-carrier-is-best/

Message 62 of 124 (566 Views)
Teacher

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

So move to Sprint. Nobody's telling you to stay. But what happens when another model of iPhone comes out anywhere between July & October of next year, & Sprint tells you "no dice" when you say you want to upgrade to the latest & greatest iPhone? Will you then pay the ETF to move to Verizon? And then return to AT&T when the iPhone 5S comes out in mid-to-late 2013?

No problem for me - I move my first line to Sprint in the next few months - get the IP4S.  Then by June-Oct - if and when the new IP5 does come out, I move the other line - it's 2 yr will be up. Perfect timing for Sprint.

Bad timing/decision for ATT and here is why:

I suspect most IP4 customers will be eligible by end of Feb-March period (IP4 came out in Jun2010), som even later. If they are as dissatisfied as I am - I am sure they will contemplate moving to Sprint/VZ in the Jun/Oct period. With Sprint WiMax/LTE rolling out full-tilt next June - and unlimited plans for everyone - you do the math...

This is not just me - I suspect a ton of owners are in the same boat as me due to the timing of Apple release (and Apple's belligerence with $250 that will cause a lot to not upgrade right now).

It makes Sprint perfectly poised to swoop in and gain - to the detriment of ATT and even VZ.

Smiley Happy

Message 63 of 124 (557 Views)
Scholar

Having been a customer of both, and the published customer service rankings.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2007/tc20070726_020033.htm

Message 64 of 124 (546 Views)
Teacher

dww0311 wrote:

Having been a customer of both, and the published customer service rankings.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2007/tc20070726_020033.htm

Thanks - but this is from 2007. The landscape is c ompletely revolutionized since then. And yes I was also with Sprint many, many, many years back.

In addition - I do believe that Cingular was a far better operator than ATT could ever be. They started this Rollover thingy - not ATT, for the record.

So you see as years go by stuff changes and I am sure Sprint will be gearing up to receive loyal APPLE fans so that they continue to feel at home when they switch over from ATT ...

Smiley Happy

Message 65 of 124 (537 Views)
Scholar

hpsb wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

So move to Sprint. Nobody's telling you to stay. But what happens when another model of iPhone comes out anywhere between July & October of next year, & Sprint tells you "no dice" when you say you want to upgrade to the latest & greatest iPhone? Will you then pay the ETF to move to Verizon? And then return to AT&T when the iPhone 5S comes out in mid-to-late 2013?

No problem for me - I move my first line to Sprint in the next few months - get the IP4S.  Then by June-Oct - if and when the new IP5 does come out, I move the other line - it's 2 yr will be up. Perfect timing for Sprint.

Bad timing/decision for ATT and here is why:

I suspect most IP4 customers will be eligible by end of Feb-March period (IP4 came out in Jun2010), som even later. If they are as dissatisfied as I am - I am sure they will contemplate moving to Sprint/VZ in the Jun/Oct period. With Sprint WiMax/LTE rolling out full-tilt next June - and unlimited plans for everyone - you do the math...

This is not just me - I suspect a ton of owners are in the same boat as me due to the timing of Apple release (and Apple's belligerence with $250 that will cause a lot to not upgrade right now).

It makes Sprint perfectly poised to swoop in and gain - to the detriment of ATT and even VZ.

Smiley Happy

It sounds to me like you are just experiencing sour grapes because you're a high maintenance diva and didn't get what you wanted from AT&T, no offense intended.

Message 66 of 124 (534 Views)
Scholar

hpsb wrote:

So you see as years go by stuff changes and I am sure Sprint will be gearing up to receive loyal APPLE fans so that they continue to feel at home when they switch over from ATT ...

Smiley Happy

Well, if it makes you happy, by all means switch over. Best of luck with it. Smiley Happy

Message 67 of 124 (533 Views)
Expert

Re: So thats it, its official ATT doesnt care

hpsb wrote:

"If you want to be able to upgrade at will, then you should be looking at the no-commitment price.  If you sign the contract, you need to hold up your end of the bargain.  At&t does make exceptions for early upgrades, but that is for thier own reasons.  Nowhere in the contract is an early upgrade mentioned.  "

I do not have to do as you. I can simply wait out my current contract and never ever again do any business with any ATT product.

Think about it - ATT will lose revenue from at least two lost voice accounts and two data plans - whereas they could have ensured both for an additional 16-18 months beyond the current expiry (at least)

I was never with ATT due to their "contracts" - I have been with them of on my own volition.

If this is all about contracts, then there is no need for customer satisfaction. Everyone should then just follow your contracts and neither be happy nor dissatisfied.

you do realize that corporations like ATT with contract customers have a budget line for churn rate right? Churn rate is the number of customers that will leave or cancel contracts within the current fiscal year for any reason. Suspect this has already been built into the figures for this year and will make little or no difference.

Do you really think that any other carrier will do what you are asking? The other two carriers are even more strict on their upgrade eligiblty time line and cancelation policy. Verizon has dropped the 12 month upgrade policy except for top tier loong term business contracts, sprint is around 20 months, so if you move don;t expect to have the other carrier change their policy just to let you get a new iphone for a subsidized price before your upgrade date

Message 68 of 124 (493 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

hpsb wrote:

archermoo wrote:
And so my question remains.  For whom will you leave AT&T?  Is there another company who can provide you with service for an iPhone and whose policies on purchasing phones with subsidized prices are more to your liking?  

And here are your answers - all the same- 

Q) For whom will you leave AT&T

Answer - - Sprint?

Q) Is there another company who can provide you with service for an iPhone and whose policies on purchasing phones with subsidized prices are more to your liking

Answer - - Sprint appears to be the at least the same as ATT. It does not hurt me to move there. I am sure they allow their customer to make phone calls the same as AT does Smiley Happy.

Oh I will get my new iPhone(s) and the service to go along with it in the near future! Just not looking likely with ATT though.

And what will you do when the next iphone upgrade comes out, you are not eligible and they refuse - pay the etf and more to another carrier? Sprints normal upgrade period is 20 months. The also enforce the fair use policy for data strictly.

The grass is not always greener - do your due diligence on all of the policies that your new carrier of chose has - you maybe upset there also, pay particular attention to coverage i your areas, both local and traveling, Sprint tends to be lacking in a lot of areas - don;t use the marketing "coverage map" these tend to heavily overstate the coverage, talk to people and check the forums for your areas

Message 69 of 124 (491 Views)
Professor

Here's the thing, ever time they have released a new iPhone, it's the same postings on the forums.  When they released the 3G one year after the original, they made all owners of the original iPhone (aka the 2G) eligible (because the first one wasn't subsidized by AT&T or anyone).  The people who had non-iphones under contract were upset with that because they couldn't upgrade, whined that Apple people were special, and threatened to leave since AT&T treated them so poorly. 

When the 3GS came out a year later, they allowed anyone with an upgrade date that ended before the end of the year upgrade eligible.  People who's upgrade date was in January were all upset because they got left out and threatened to leave AT&T because AT&T treated them so poorly.

When the 4 came out a year later, it was a similar deal (I don't remember exactly since I had skipped the 3GS and was normally eligible anyway).  Once again, some people got an early upgrade and others didn't.  Yet again, the people left out threatened to leave AT&T because they were treated so poorly.

Add to all that all the people who threatened to leave as soon as Verizon got the iPhone or those who were upset that AT&T wouldn't unlock their phone.

It's all the same and has been going on for years, yet somehow AT&T has managed to survive and prosper in light of all of these "anti-consumer" practices.  They'll survive this too, I think.  People are always going to be unhappy.

Message 70 of 124 (470 Views)
Contributor

Re: So thats it, its official ATT doesnt care

Hi- my upgrade date is also feb 2012. Could someone look into that for me also? This is not a family line and I upgraded last year at iPhone launch. My 2 friends with similar plans who waited with me that day can both upgrade in November. I tried calling 611 but no one could explain it to me.
Message 71 of 124 (542 Views)
Scholar

dwill05 wrote:

It's all the same and has been going on for years, yet somehow AT&T has managed to survive and prosper in light of all of these "anti-consumer" practices.  They'll survive this too, I think.  People are always going to be unhappy.

So true. What I'd like to see AT&T do is improve their network. A revamp of their upgrade/subsidy system would also be nice to provide users with options suitable to their usage/upgrade cycle and make it fair for all users - not just those with an iPhone.

For example, Vodafone has the following:

iPhone 4S 16GB Pricing

24-month contract:

18-month contract:

12-month contract:

They also have similar plans for their other phones. I'd like to mention that the iPhone appears to require a much higher subsidy compared to other phones. The Samsung Galaxy S II (which is their most expensive Android), for example, only costs £199 on the £36/mo 300 mins/unli txt/500MB plan (12-month contract) while the iPhone costs £319 with the same contract. That's a difference of £120 which is $186 according to today's exchange rates (according to Google). I wouldn't be surprised if other manufacturers command lower equipment subsidies from AT&T than Apple does. Seriously, we should be getting the Galaxy S II for free.

Message 72 of 124 (539 Views)
Teacher

dww0311 wrote:

It sounds to me like you are just experiencing sour grapes because you're a high maintenance diva and didn't get what you wanted from AT&T, no offense intended.

none taken ... and I can tell you what you sound to me Smiley Happy no offense intended of course - but I will not stoop to your level.

Keeping it civilized: All those are beating the drum - "oh this happens every time..." etc. remember - there is one BIG difference this time - When ur IP4 contract is up (and most will be up around March 2012) - YOU CAN SWITCH CARRIERS **AND** RETAIN A NEW IPHONE. This was not possible in the past - so grumble or not - APPLE fans had no choice.

Yes ATT indulged as all for last two-three years - but I think this time around ATT is no longer exclusive - heck even the new IP5 is rumored to be with Sprint now - SOUR GRAPES for ATT methinks Smiley Happy

Message 73 of 124 (539 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

dwill05 wrote:

Here's the thing, ever time they have released a new iPhone, it's the same postings on the forums.  .

Good point - but a half truth - to say the least. This time is very different : Only now is that APPLE fans have the WIDEST range of carrier choice EVER. Think about it - take your IP4S from **ANY** carrier. It is compatible with *ALL* major ones - WORLDWIDE.

No longer do ppl need to be shackled to ATT - no longer speak up only to realize that there is no where else to go - yes. This time is very very different indeed

Smiley Happy

Message 74 of 124 (537 Views)
Teacher

Yes - times are a changing - adapt and improve ATT - let's see what you can do for your loyal customers .... you aready have a huge base - build on it - don't let it go from your grasp: Lock in as many as you can b4 the big Sprint IP5 swoops down on your contract expired APPLE fans ...

Message 75 of 124 (537 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.