So thats it, its official ATT doesnt care

Scholar

So thats it, its official ATT doesnt care

No upgrade pricing was given to loyal customers, while some people on same plans are getting the upgrade pricing, I confirmed with 3 people on same plan as me with same date as me getting it at the right price, while I was greeted with upgrade available and a 11/22 date... ATT this is not right and as many times as I said it before I feel cheated and betrayed I dont care what ATT followers are saying here. 

We got cheated !!!! I would of been ok with atleast 1normal upgrade on primary line and a early upgrade $250 fee for the other, but no Greed took over ATT and they said good bye to me. Well Good bye to you.......

Message 1 of 124 (1,982 Views)
Mentor

Re: So thats it, its official ATT doesnt care

Just answer one question? When you got iPhone 4, did you sign a 24 month contract? No where in that contract does it say you are eligible or will be given the opportunity to upgrade early. If you don't know what you are signing don't sign it. I don't think too many people are going to feel sorry for you. I don't get why people expect to get breaks, discounts, etc just by paying your bill on time. You are suppose to do that anyways.

When and if you get the 4S, you WILL BE SIGNING A 24 MONTH CONTRACT. I highly doubt it will say you automatically can upgrade early at a discounted price.

AT&T isn't screwing you, you failed/didn't understand you current terms. What did AT&T do that was wrong.
Message 2 of 124 (1,944 Views)

You can't compare apples to oranges! Every account is different and there are MANY factors they consider on each individual account holder. My main line (15yrs) was eligible for the iPhone 4s upgrade in 11 months but my secondary line is not until later next year. But I'm not crying a river because I can only get one phone! A contract is a contract and you aren't being cheated!

Message 3 of 124 (1,929 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

No, it's official AT&T isn't going to waive the terms of your contract and let you order early. Get over it. Pay more now or wait 30 days and upgrade when you're entitled to.

Message 4 of 124 (1,922 Views)

How do you think the Verizon people who purchased the iPhone 4 just 8 months ago feel? AT&T made a business decision, and we will likely never know what went into that decision.

Perhaps Apple negotiated terms more favorable to AT&T to allow early adopters to upgrade on the previous models, and they weren't as willing to negotiate now that the iPhone is out on 3 of the 4 major American carriers. Perhaps it's an inventory issue - Apple's still making GSM & CDMA iPhone 4 models, as well as a unified iPhone 4S.

Perhaps Apple didn't really push the issue because they knew a number of early adopters would be coming eligible in the next few months, and that would ease the strain on Apple's manufacturing & distribution (although seemingly every pre-order web site crashed this morning).

If a "magical" new iPhone 5 comes out next summer, do you think ANY of the carriers will give early upgrades to people? Certainly not.

Message 5 of 124 (1,914 Views)
Professor

When you checked those other 3 people who got it and you didn't, were their conditions exactly the same as yours (monthly spending on primary lines, payment history, changes in plans during the contract time, etc.)? There appear to be a number of factors that come into ATTs decision for upgrades and it seems that unless all of them are EXACTLY the same, two people can have different upgrade dates.

But, regardless of what's said here, you feel slighted by ATT and it doesn't seem anything other that ATT doing exactly what you want will satisfy you, so good luck with Sprint or Verizon.
Message 6 of 124 (1,903 Views)

A contract is a contract.

The fact they they offer SOME exceptions or upgrades to existing contracts is a GIFT, not a SERVICE. ALl they owe you is what you signed up for in your contract. That's it. Anything beyond that is a perk that THEY control, not you.

Next time, don't sign a contract.

Pay full price for an unlocked phone - then you can do whatever you wish with whatever carrier you wish.

Message 7 of 124 (1,897 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

{Please keep it courteous} It is simple 20 month of a 24 month commitment. Do not like it pay the ETF and move to another cell provider. I did not cry or fuss when the 3G iPhone was released I had to wait for my upgrade discount price. Now I am eligible for a discount/ upgrade I am not sure if I want the 4S right now. Like others have stared get OVER IT and wait 30 dYs more.

Posted from my iphone4

Message 8 of 124 (1,883 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Yeah you guys are sure in to this ATT thing.

Even if they are following the contract to the T the point is that some people with same terms as me got the upgrade and I didnt, there is no set policy on upgrade and a date of 11/22 is compliantly made up from nothing.... (1 more thing forgot to mention which my wife reminded me, when we looked at eligibility about 3--4 months ago, it was in Sept, then magicly got moved to Nov 22nd..)

Next Customer service and customer satisfaction. We are forced to wait 1 month because we are early adopters and I did pay extra $200 last time for the 2nd line iPhone 4 I had no problem with that since I got a break on 1 line, but this time not even offer that courtesy ? Really after spending $3500 with this guys ?

Next ETF vs Early upgrade fees, for us early adapters it is cheaper to pay ETF go to another carrier then come back and have the phone for the right price, or stay with another carrier... Think about that....

Next, why am I entitled to the upgrade, because every year they allowed me and this year no ? Why NOT ? The money made from subsidizing the phone is returned with in 3-5 months if not earlier... Why be so greedy and have customers so mad and getting ready to leave ?

Last, when whole cell phone industry got mature about 6-7 years ago we had 1 year contacts, because phones are meant to be used for 1 year then the greed kicked in Corps figured out they can make money on the phones as well as on the plans we went to 2 year contracts, government will eventually step in here as this is crazy, but until then we are bound by greed.

People do not look at your contact as set in stone, ATT changes it all the time, why cant you demand them to change it on your terms ? Why are they allowed to set your dates based on something that no one knows and you just supposed to take it.

This was not a good move for ATT and it will come back to them, lets see the bleeding this quarter from loss of customer base since now all big 3 have the iPhone in there systems....

Message 9 of 124 (1,854 Views)
Mentor

"People do not look at your contact as set in stone, ATT changes it all the time, why cant you demand them to change it on your terms ? Why are they allowed to set your dates based on something that no one knows and you just supposed to take it."

The date for an upgrade isn't in your contract. ATT is doing that before your 24 months are up. I don't see that as a change in contract language, but as a perk/upsale to a loyal customer.

AGAIN, ATT didn't have to give you an upgrade at all. Be grateful you got one. Like one poster said earlier, thank goodness you are not with Verizon.
Message 10 of 124 (1,840 Views)

"Last, when whole cell phone industry got mature about 6-7 years ago we had 1 year contacts, because phones are meant to be used for 1 year then the greed kicked in Corps figured out they can make money on the phones as well as on the plans we went to 2 year contracts, government will eventually step in here as this is crazy, but until then we are bound by greed."

I've been using the same phone for 4 years. I plan on using my iPhone 4S for AT LEAST 3 or 4 years.

1 phone a year is a rather bad investment policy IMO.
Message 11 of 124 (818 Views)
Teacher

The OP does make some valid points.

I upgraded to IP4 at the same time last year that everyone else did - one day before it was launched I recieved and activated it. Account in good standing etc.

For some reason, my date is showing an Feb 2012. Can someone - anyone who is defending ATT and their contract terms defend/explain why other IP4 owners are getting to see a date of Nov 2011 and only in my case is the date Feb 2012 ?

Keep in mind no one could else have upgraded to IP4 (with a two yr extension) before I was able to.

Due to this - I will go to Sprint as soon as I can. Have been a customer of ATT for almost a decade.

If it is true that ATT has the right to define/enforce thier contract, I have the right to take my businees where it pleases me. Period.

Message 12 of 124 (803 Views)

hpsb wrote:

The OP does make some valid points.

I upgraded to IP4 at the same time last year that everyone else did - one day before it was launched I recieved and activated it. Account in good standing etc.

For some reason, my date is showing an Feb 2012. Can someone - anyone who is defending ATT and their contract terms defend/explain why other IP4 owners are getting to see a date of Nov 2011 and only in my case is the date Feb 2012 ?

Keep in mind no one could else have upgraded to IP4 (with a two yr extension) before I was able to.

Due to this - I will go to Sprint as soon as I can. Have been a customer of ATT for almost a decade.

If it is true that ATT has the right to define/enforce thier contract, I have the right to take my businees where it pleases me. Period.

Easy.  The more you spend per month on that particular phone number the more they are willing to knock off of the time between upgrades.  I picked a iPhone 4 up in an Apple store on release day, and my current date for the lowest tier of pricing on an iPhone 4S is February 25.  Fortunately for me my wife isn't interested in having the latest and greatest iPhone, so on alternate years I use her upgrade to get the new phone and pass my old one down to her.

But yes, absolutely you have the right to take your business elsewhere.  However do you think that either Sprint or Verizon will do things any differently?

Message 13 of 124 (798 Views)
Teacher

Re: So that's it, its official ATT doesn't care

"Fortunately for me my wife isn't interested in having the latest and greatest iPhone, so on alternate years I use her upgrade to get the new phone and pass my old one down to her"

LOL - The funniest thing I read on the forum so far - my wife would kill me for siphoning phones off her .. Smiley Happy)

Yes you are correct that Sprint or Verizon may be no different - but tell me one thing if enough customers switch to Sprint, wouldn't you think the CEO of ATT would squirm in their shoes (contract or no contract - the shareholders are what matters) ?

My change of Vendor is a small statement from my side - to make a point to ATT not VZ or Sprint - regardless of their policies - ATT policy (not their contract) sucks and that is what matters at this point of time. I can vote with my wallet and let my displeasure be known - contract or no contract.

My opinion is that others should also feel encouraged to send a message to ATT - raise the bar - do not be in the same league as VZ or Sprint - be "different", and be "better"

Message 14 of 124 (791 Views)
Master

Re: So that's it, its official ATT doesn't care

[ Edited ]

As stated, the time frame for your upgrade depends on how much you spend and other factors we do not know about.  It is possible for two lines on the family plan to have started on the same date and now have different upgrade dates.  The first line/main lines gets credit for the voice plan, data plan and any other family level plans.  The other line only gets credit for their data plan and any line specific messaging plans.

As for Verizon, It was going to be obvious that those who purchased theirs at the beginning of this year were going to be stuck and need to wait to become eligible for a new upgrade.  For them, wait for the next model!

As for the flexibility or the lack their off when it comes to iPhones, that is dictated by Apple!  They want to maintain a brand, price and demand for their product and they are in the drivers seat.  Look at the model that is available for free with a two year contract, it is a model from almost 3 years ago!  

Why do you think it took Verizon so long to get in the iPhone game?  Verizon wanted to be incontrol and tell you and the manufacture what will be preinstalled on their phones and force it so you cannot delete those apps.  Apple said no and changed the paradigm that the manufactures now had more control of their phones and Verizon chose to sit out.  With the iPhone being a hit, they jumped on the band wagon as soon as they could once the ATT exclusivity expired.  You could say Verizon missed an opportunity to set them selves apart from the competition but their short sightedness allowed ATT to continue to be considered a top tier company!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 15 of 124 (784 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.