Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 9, 2010
9:45:33 PM
View profile
So my mom upgraded to an iPhone4......

.....and she is gonna give me her 3g since I need a new phone. Can I take the 3g to ATT and get my own plan without having to buy a device or enter a 2 year contract? I wouldn't mind doing 2 years with AT&T but I'm only 19 and would have to put up a 500 dollar deposit.

Also, what if I buy a 4 or 3gs from a friend or private seller? 

.....and she is gonna give me her 3g since I need a new phone. Can I take the 3g to ATT and get my own plan without having to buy a device or enter a 2 year contract? I wouldn't mind doing 2 years with AT&T but I'm only 19 and would have to put up a 500 dollar deposit.

Also, what if I buy a 4 or 3gs from a friend or private seller? 

So my mom upgraded to an iPhone4......

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 1:01:28 AM
(0)
Employee

Yes, you can take your own equipment in and sign up without having a contract. You'll still be post-paid but you wont have to worry about any early termination fees if you ever decide to cancel your account. A $36 activation fee will also need to be paid, and you still might have a deposit, being 19 doesn't mean you'll have a $500 deposit, I signed up with Cingular when I was 18 and didn't have to pay one. It's based on your credit history and being that young you probably hadn't had a chance to screw it up like I have recently, ha.

Yes, you can take your own equipment in and sign up without having a contract. You'll still be post-paid but you wont have to worry about any early termination fees if you ever decide to cancel your account. A $36 activation fee will also need to be paid, and you still might have a deposit, being 19 doesn't mean you'll have a $500 deposit, I signed up with Cingular when I was 18 and didn't have to pay one. It's based on your credit history and being that young you probably hadn't had a chance to screw it up like I have recently, ha.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: So my mom upgraded to an iPhone4......

2 of 8 (1,227 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 6:56:08 AM
(0)
Teacher

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Thanks a lot. Smiley Happy

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Thanks a lot. Smiley Happy

3 of 8 (1,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 7:28:43 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Dec 10, 2010 at 7:29:26 AM

You can take the iPhone 3G to AT&T and request to activate on either a family contract with your mother or as yourself.

If you are still living with your mother and she is happy to pay the bill, she can add a new line with no credit deposit required as long as she has great credit.

If you are activating it as yourself and have no credit cards initiated thereby establishing a credit history (or you have a poor credit history), you will be required to pay a deposit.

Either way would be $36 activation for a new line or $18 upgrade fee.

You can take the iPhone 3G to AT&T and request to activate on either a family contract with your mother or as yourself.

If you are still living with your mother and she is happy to pay the bill, she can add a new line with no credit deposit required as long as she has great credit.

If you are activating it as yourself and have no credit cards initiated thereby establishing a credit history (or you have a poor credit history), you will be required to pay a deposit.

Either way would be $36 activation for a new line or $18 upgrade fee.

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (1,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 7:48:15 AM
(0)
Teacher

Wait are you guys saying that I would have to still put down 500 dollars for a non contract plan with AT&T? Other than adding a new line to my mom's plan, there is no alternative? 

Wait are you guys saying that I would have to still put down 500 dollars for a non contract plan with AT&T? Other than adding a new line to my mom's plan, there is no alternative? 

5 of 8 (1,171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 8:01:33 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Kwopau on Dec 10, 2010 at 8:11:44 AM

Tohara wrote:

There is no need to put down 500 dollars for a non-contract. If you are opening up a new account under your own name, and have no credit history or bad credit history, then you will have to pay the security deposit (keep in mind at the end of your contract, you will get the security deposit back). However, if your mom is opening a new line on her account, there is no need to pay the security deposit. All you need to pay is the activation fee, of course you will need a data plan added.

Tohara wrote:

There is no need to put down 500 dollars for a non-contract. If you are opening up a new account under your own name, and have no credit history or bad credit history, then you will have to pay the security deposit (keep in mind at the end of your contract, you will get the security deposit back). However, if your mom is opening a new line on her account, there is no need to pay the security deposit. All you need to pay is the activation fee, of course you will need a data plan added.

Written on my iPhone 4 32 GB

[ Edited ]
6 of 8 (1,160 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 8:02:16 AM
(0)
Professor

Tohara wrote:

No one is saying you have to put down a $500 deposit.  What they are saying is a deposit may be required.

The amount of the deposit varies from person to person depending on situation.  Yours may be higher, it may be lower, or none may be required at all.

The only way to know is to visit an AT&T corporate store and find out.

Tohara wrote:

No one is saying you have to put down a $500 deposit.  What they are saying is a deposit may be required.

The amount of the deposit varies from person to person depending on situation.  Yours may be higher, it may be lower, or none may be required at all.

The only way to know is to visit an AT&T corporate store and find out.

7 of 8 (1,158 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 9:52:43 AM
(0)
Master

To be clear that you understand, AT&T does not differentiate between contracts and non-contract postpaid activations.  Whether you're buying a phone from them or bringing your own device doesn't matter.  The only way you can activate a phone on AT&T without going through the credit check is to go prepaid, which you can't do with an iPhone.

Tohara wrote:

To be clear that you understand, AT&T does not differentiate between contracts and non-contract postpaid activations.  Whether you're buying a phone from them or bringing your own device doesn't matter.  The only way you can activate a phone on AT&T without going through the credit check is to go prepaid, which you can't do with an iPhone.

Tohara wrote:

8 of 8 (1,132 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments