So Upset I moved phone companies

Master

Re: So Upset I moved phone companies

First, you want to blame AT&T for something that was entirely YOUR fault?  You had a legally binding contract, and AT&T wasn't going to allow you to alter the terms of that contract early because of something YOU did.

Second, AT&T doesn't insure phones.  They utilize a third-party provider to insure the phones, who until recently wouldn't.  Have you seen the insurance rates on the iPhone?  You'd have to be a bit foolish to pay them.  A better option is obtaining an electronics rider on your homeowner's or renter's insurance.

Finally, AT&T has 90+ million customers and is growing.  Sprint has ~52 million, and is bleeding customers.  Sorry, but AT&T doesn't need to do anything to match the prices of a company that's in third place and is flailing.

enigmaPrime wrote:

I have been a loyal apple iPhone user for since the get go.

I recently left my iPhone 3G in the back of a Taxi & thought I'd lost it for good but subsequently got it back.

<snip>

I tell the clerk my sob story & say to him that I'd like the new one with a new 2 year contract can you just add on the 11 days to the new contract.

He says NO. You have to wait the 11 days.

I said, but I cant wait the 11 days I need a phone today. The only thing he could do for me was try & sell me a new cheap phone for the 11 days & come back when that time was up.

There were a couple of other things that were starting to annoy me about AT&T & Apple that I should comment on as it made things easier for me to move without worrying about being iPhone addicted.

1. The upgrades that we cannot uninstall without going through freaking hoops just to get our phones back to the speed they were going before the 4.0 upgrade.

(I know every 3G & 3GS user knows exactly what I'm talking about)

2. AT&T refusing to insure the iPhone which I found odd considering there were more expensive phones there that they did insure. (not sure if thats the case now but they never used to)

I am so happy with Droid right now that a number of my friends are considering moving over to the dark side or in this case FROM the dark side, yes pun intended.

Yes there are a few apps that I miss but there are more than plenty to cover my bases at the store.

AT&T & Apple need to get there act together.

Stop charging through the nose for trivial things, if Sprint can give me unlimited everything for $70 then so can you.

Stop upgrading software on phones (iPhone) so that many users want to immediately uninstall it, give us the option to uninstall an upgrade. Its our freaking phones we paid for them we should have the rights to decide what we want on them.

(& I dont want to hear the old argument its apples property you signed the contract bla bla bla,

WE also paid good money, we also pay a monthly bill, we also want our phones to run at a reasonable speed, if they don't then we should have the right to uninstall upgrades.

Sorry I had to vent.

I am a former AT&T customer who was treated like a leaper

If that's the way AT&T treat long time customers then you know where you can go.

Message 16 of 56
Guru

It's obvious that the OP was looking for a reason to jump ship. You lose your phone and that is AT&T's fault? Then you throw a tantrum in a store like a 2 year old?

Don't forget that you also have to pay $10 a month to have 4g whether you get 4g or not! Good luck with Sprint!
Message 17 of 56
Guru

Interesting. Op said sprint then a bit later said Droid. Two different company. What's the reason for venting if you are already happy?
Message 18 of 56
Professor

mdifilm wrote:
Interesting. Op said sprint then a bit later said Droid. Two different company. What's the reason for venting if you are already happy?

The EVO that the OP stated he went with runs Android.

Droid is also a phone made by Motorolla and sold by Verizon.

Message 19 of 56

enigmaPrime wrote:

Actually thats not correct, when I told the sprint guy my story he was kinda amazed. They do it all the time.

He played your situation. Simple sales technique. When the situation comes that you actually need to do this with Sprint, I hope for your sake that they actually do it for you.

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.
Message 20 of 56
JSY
Scholar

I really don't understand why people nowadays believe that they shouldn't be held up to the terms of their contracts. 

Message 21 of 56
Expert

sandblaster wrote:

Sonic1519 wrote:

Good luck with sprint. But you lost me at the 11 days. I thought at&t was offering early upgrades to the iphone4.

that's what i was told last month even though i have 4 months left  on my contract. just pay the 18.00 fee.

which they offered to wave

That's right, when the iphone4 came out, AT&T announced that any existing iphone user who was going to be upgrade eligible anytime the rest of the year would be immediately upgrade eligible.  I know this is true because my upgrade date was August but my account showed I was upgrade eligible as soon as the iphone4 was released. Something about the OP's story sounds funny to me.

Actually there where exceptions to that policy - if the iphone was not the primary phone on a family account the upgrade eligibilty date was not altered. There where numerous threads on the forum screaming about that when it happened

Message 22 of 56
Scholar

Good job!

I know exactly what you mean with the 4.0 update. The phone has been made almost useless. I bet AT&T colluded with Apple for the update to make the phone useless just so people would upgrade to another phone. I've caught AT&T in a lie before where they basically told the manufacturer to not allow any updates for a particular phone. Then they told me I would get an updated phone, which was impossible because behind the scenes they wouldn't allow any updates. After they were caught in their own lie, they had no choice but to give me a comperable new phone(ended up being a Blackberry). After that broke I got an iPhone. It was great until the 4.0 update. Now I find everyone I know dumping their iPhones because of it.

Message 23 of 56
Scholar

briankfranks wrote:

Good job!

I know exactly what you mean with the 4.0 update. The phone has been made almost useless. I bet AT&T colluded with Apple for the update to make the phone useless just so people would upgrade to another phone. I've caught AT&T in a lie before where they basically told the manufacturer to not allow any updates for a particular phone. Then they told me I would get an updated phone, which was impossible because behind the scenes they wouldn't allow any updates. After they were caught in their own lie, they had no choice but to give me a comperable new phone(ended up being a Blackberry). After that broke I got an iPhone. It was great until the 4.0 update. Now I find everyone I know dumping their iPhones because of it.

Really...So you really think AT&T can talk a cell phone manufacturer into making crappy products, so that people will buy from another manufacturer...LOL HA HA....{Please keep it courteous}

Message 24 of 56
Guru

briankfranks wrote:

I know exactly what you mean with the 4.0 update. The phone has been made almost useless. I bet AT&T colluded with Apple for the update to make the phone useless just so people would upgrade to another phone.

Ok, that's the most ridiculous conspiracy theory I have ever read in this forum so far. Congratulations.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 25 of 56

Yeah, Sprint double-billed us when we signed on a family of 5 phones. They were in the midst of redoing their billing system.

Then they had a collection agency come after us, even though we paid our bill in full every month.

It took Sprint the entire two years of our contract to figure out they neglected to close the old account during their billing system switchover.

They never did reimburse us for the extra $650.00 we paid for our phones. And they screwed up our credit ratings with the collection process on the account they forgot to transfer and close completely.

Oh, and they didn't let us out of our contract w/o the ETF as someone mistakenly posted here. In fact, they billed us IN ADVANCE for the the next months service after we terminated our service the day after it was completed. I just told them to take a flying leap, as I was not going to pay them for service I have not received. But they did try in earnest to screw me out of another months billing.

I hope you enjoy your time with Sprint! Good luck with that!

Message 26 of 56

JSY wrote:

I really don't understand why people nowadays believe that they shouldn't be held up to the terms of their contracts. 

What I don't understand is how a company can hold the customer to the terms of contract, but not provide the service as contracted and get away with it. Smacks of business fraud.

Message 27 of 56
Expert

dwmitchell61 wrote:

JSY wrote:

What I don't understand is how a company can hold the customer to the terms of contract, but not provide the service as contracted and get away with it. Smacks of business fraud.

what "service" do they not provide according to your signed contract? - Coverage? read thecontract closely you will see that ALL providers to not promise 100 percent coveraghe in 100 percent of the locations, so that is not what you are talking about. Please post the details of the service that they do not provide that is detailed in the contract you signed

Message 28 of 56
Scholar

Sonic1519 wrote:

Good luck with sprint. But you lost me at the 11 days. I thought at&t was offering early upgrades to the iphone4.

that's what i was told last month even though i have 4 months left  on my contract. just pay the 18.00 fee.

which they offered to wave

They seem to not be offering that now. I've got an iPhone 3g and my upgrade is the 11th of Oct. I was told yesterday that I have to wait until then. Smiley Sad I guess that was just at the beginning.

Message 29 of 56
Mentor

Glad you like the Evo, I hear it's a great phone. You can bet if I were angry at a company and happy with another, I sure wouldn't waste a second of my time trolling the old companies message boards.

Message 30 of 56
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support