Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 1, 2010
2:17:28 PM
So Upset I moved phone companies
Edited by enigmaPrime on Oct 1, 2010 at 2:28:25 PM

I have been a loyal apple iPhone user for since the get go.

I recently left my iPhone 3G in the back of a Taxi & thought I'd lost it for good but subsequently got it back.

It was during the few days that I had no phone & was not sure if the Taxi driver handed it in was when I decided since I have only 11 days left on my contract I may as well go down to AT&T store & get the new one.

I tell the clerk my sob story & say to him that I'd like the new one with a new 2 year contract can you just add on the 11 days to the new contract.

He says NO. You have to wait the 11 days.

I said, but I cant wait the 11 days I need a phone today. The only thing he could do for me was try & sell me a new cheap phone for the 11 days & come back when that time was up.

I said I'm not buying a cheap phone just to take me 11 days, I'd like the new iPhone & a new contract.

Again a resounding but polite NO, sorry you cannot do that.

Now I'm losing it, I raised my voice intentionally so that other customers could hear our conversation. Not too much but enough.

I said, I've been a customer both directly & indirectly of AT&T for a number of years now, if you would like that to continue then you will accept the fact the 11 days left on my contract is not worth losing a paying customer, a customer who if he does not walk out of this store with a new iPhone & a new contract, then he will NO longer be a customer of AT&T, he will be a customer of Sprint.
To my complete amazment he said & I QUOTE.

"Sir that's your choice but you will have to do what you have to do!"

Gob-Smacked

He basically just told me to GO & {word filter evasion} my self in so many words & I let him know it. (BTW I added the Astrix)

I marched out of the store & went straight over to Sprint. Walked out 20 mins later with the HTC evo & you know something I have never been happier.

There were a couple of other things that were starting to annoy me about AT&T & Apple that I should comment on as it made things easier for me to move without worrying about being iPhone addicted.

1. The upgrades that we cannot uninstall without going through freaking hoops just to get our phones back to the speed they were going before the 4.0 upgrade.

(I know every 3G & 3GS user knows exactly what I'm talking about)

2. AT&T refusing to insure the iPhone which I found odd considering there were more expensive phones there that they did insure. (not sure if thats the case now but they never used to)

I am so happy with Droid right now that a number of my friends are considering moving over to the dark side or in this case FROM the dark side, yes pun intended.

Yes there are a few apps that I miss but there are more than plenty to cover my bases at the store.

AT&T & Apple need to get there act together.

Stop charging through the nose for trivial things, if Sprint can give me unlimited everything for $70 then so can you.

Stop upgrading software on phones (iPhone) so that many users want to immediately uninstall it, give us the option to uninstall an upgrade. Its our freaking phones we paid for them we should have the rights to decide what we want on them.

(& I dont want to hear the old argument its apples property you signed the contract bla bla bla,

WE also paid good money, we also pay a monthly bill, we also want our phones to run at a reasonable speed, if they don't then we should have the right to uninstall upgrades.

Sorry I had to vent.

I am a former AT&T customer who was treated like a leaper

If that's the way AT&T treat long time customers then you know where you can go.

I have been a loyal apple iPhone user for since the get go.

I recently left my iPhone 3G in the back of a Taxi & thought I'd lost it for good but subsequently got it back.

It was during the few days that I had no phone & was not sure if the Taxi driver handed it in was when I decided since I have only 11 days left on my contract I may as well go down to AT&T store & get the new one.

I tell the clerk my sob story & say to him that I'd like the new one with a new 2 year contract can you just add on the 11 days to the new contract.

He says NO. You have to wait the 11 days.

I said, but I cant wait the 11 days I need a phone today. The only thing he could do for me was try & sell me a new cheap phone for the 11 days & come back when that time was up.

I said I'm not buying a cheap phone just to take me 11 days, I'd like the new iPhone & a new contract.

Again a resounding but polite NO, sorry you cannot do that.

Now I'm losing it, I raised my voice intentionally so that other customers could hear our conversation. Not too much but enough.

I said, I've been a customer both directly & indirectly of AT&T for a number of years now, if you would like that to continue then you will accept the fact the 11 days left on my contract is not worth losing a paying customer, a customer who if he does not walk out of this store with a new iPhone & a new contract, then he will NO longer be a customer of AT&T, he will be a customer of Sprint.
To my complete amazment he said & I QUOTE.

"Sir that's your choice but you will have to do what you have to do!"

Gob-Smacked

He basically just told me to GO & {word filter evasion} my self in so many words & I let him know it. (BTW I added the Astrix)

I marched out of the store & went straight over to Sprint. Walked out 20 mins later with the HTC evo & you know something I have never been happier.

There were a couple of other things that were starting to annoy me about AT&T & Apple that I should comment on as it made things easier for me to move without worrying about being iPhone addicted.

1. The upgrades that we cannot uninstall without going through freaking hoops just to get our phones back to the speed they were going before the 4.0 upgrade.

(I know every 3G & 3GS user knows exactly what I'm talking about)

2. AT&T refusing to insure the iPhone which I found odd considering there were more expensive phones there that they did insure. (not sure if thats the case now but they never used to)

I am so happy with Droid right now that a number of my friends are considering moving over to the dark side or in this case FROM the dark side, yes pun intended.

Yes there are a few apps that I miss but there are more than plenty to cover my bases at the store.

AT&T & Apple need to get there act together.

Stop charging through the nose for trivial things, if Sprint can give me unlimited everything for $70 then so can you.

Stop upgrading software on phones (iPhone) so that many users want to immediately uninstall it, give us the option to uninstall an upgrade. Its our freaking phones we paid for them we should have the rights to decide what we want on them.

(& I dont want to hear the old argument its apples property you signed the contract bla bla bla,

WE also paid good money, we also pay a monthly bill, we also want our phones to run at a reasonable speed, if they don't then we should have the right to uninstall upgrades.

Sorry I had to vent.

I am a former AT&T customer who was treated like a leaper

If that's the way AT&T treat long time customers then you know where you can go.

So Upset I moved phone companies

[ Edited ]
55 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(55)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 9:09:03 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by benjitek on Oct 4, 2010 at 5:53:32 AM

Couple things...

#1 -- there are 2 sides to every story, and there's obviously more to this than you're letting on.  Nice try though.

{Keep it courteous}

Couple things...

#1 -- there are 2 sides to every story, and there's obviously more to this than you're letting on.  Nice try though.

{Keep it courteous}

Re: So Upset I moved phone companies

[ Edited ]
31 of 56 (698 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 3:13:44 AM
(0)
Expert

ddclark94 wrote:

Sonic1519 wrote:

Good luck with sprint. But you lost me at the 11 days. I thought at&t was offering early upgrades to the iphone4.

that's what i was told last month even though i have 4 months left  on my contract. just pay the 18.00 fee.

which they offered to wave

They seem to not be offering that now. I've got an iPhone 3g and my upgrade is the 11th of Oct. I was told yesterday that I have to wait until then. Smiley Sad I guess that was just at the beginning.

If you are on a family plan the only iphones that got a change in update where the ones that where the primary line. Same if you where on a low end single plan they did not get updated either - contrary to what people say, upgrade dates are affected by the bottom line of the phone number bill

ddclark94 wrote:

Sonic1519 wrote:

Good luck with sprint. But you lost me at the 11 days. I thought at&t was offering early upgrades to the iphone4.

that's what i was told last month even though i have 4 months left  on my contract. just pay the 18.00 fee.

which they offered to wave

They seem to not be offering that now. I've got an iPhone 3g and my upgrade is the 11th of Oct. I was told yesterday that I have to wait until then. Smiley Sad I guess that was just at the beginning.

If you are on a family plan the only iphones that got a change in update where the ones that where the primary line. Same if you where on a low end single plan they did not get updated either - contrary to what people say, upgrade dates are affected by the bottom line of the phone number bill

32 of 56 (668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 3:16:23 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Oct 4, 2010 at 5:54:18 AM

benjitek wrote:

Couple things...

{Keep it courteous}

Actually in a CS complaint there is

1. what the poster actaully says to the CS rep on the call

2. what the poster puts in their message

3. what actually happened

benjitek wrote:

Couple things...

{Keep it courteous}

Actually in a CS complaint there is

1. what the poster actaully says to the CS rep on the call

2. what the poster puts in their message

3. what actually happened

[ Edited ]
33 of 56 (668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 8:26:03 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by rdubmu on Oct 4, 2010 at 8:26:41 AM

The only nice thing about sprint if you get any of the any mobile plans (unlimited to any cell phone) you can upgrade your phone at the best pricing each year... that is nice because the EVO will be outdated in 6 months, heck it already is with the Samsung Galaxy S Epic

The only nice thing about sprint if you get any of the any mobile plans (unlimited to any cell phone) you can upgrade your phone at the best pricing each year... that is nice because the EVO will be outdated in 6 months, heck it already is with the Samsung Galaxy S Epic

[ Edited ]
34 of 56 (630 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 3:59:15 PM
(0)
Scholar

Sprint is a horrible company to get service from. 

We have always used AT&T and will not change.  We have never had anything but good service and support.

Our church got phones for our pastor from Sprint.  What a fiasco!  They billed us for all the free stuff we had in our contract, even tho the manager of the sprint store is the one who waited on us and testified to sprint that those charges were wrong.  They wouldn't let us out of the contract and continued to send us huge bills, even tho they weren't using the phones.  We ended up contacting our state's Attorney General and when he threatened to sue sprint, they dropped the charges and let us out of the contract. 

When my son came out of Marine bootcamp, he signed with sprint. (My only complaint with ATT is that they want a $200 deposit for new customers)  When he was sent to Japan, they told him he could use his phone there but he had to buy a new phone.  Turns out you cannot use a US phone there.  They said they would let him out of his contract as long as we provided all the paperwork showing he was going overseas and the phones wouldnt work there.  They did that, but with a fee.  We sent back the new phone he used once and never were reimbursed for it.  And when we went in to pay his final bill, because he was already gone, we couldn't pay in the store.  They don't accept cash or checks or anything.  So ridiculous.

Trust me, don't go with Sprint if you decide to change providers.

Sprint is a horrible company to get service from. 

We have always used AT&T and will not change.  We have never had anything but good service and support.

Our church got phones for our pastor from Sprint.  What a fiasco!  They billed us for all the free stuff we had in our contract, even tho the manager of the sprint store is the one who waited on us and testified to sprint that those charges were wrong.  They wouldn't let us out of the contract and continued to send us huge bills, even tho they weren't using the phones.  We ended up contacting our state's Attorney General and when he threatened to sue sprint, they dropped the charges and let us out of the contract. 

When my son came out of Marine bootcamp, he signed with sprint. (My only complaint with ATT is that they want a $200 deposit for new customers)  When he was sent to Japan, they told him he could use his phone there but he had to buy a new phone.  Turns out you cannot use a US phone there.  They said they would let him out of his contract as long as we provided all the paperwork showing he was going overseas and the phones wouldnt work there.  They did that, but with a fee.  We sent back the new phone he used once and never were reimbursed for it.  And when we went in to pay his final bill, because he was already gone, we couldn't pay in the store.  They don't accept cash or checks or anything.  So ridiculous.

Trust me, don't go with Sprint if you decide to change providers.

35 of 56 (578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2010 11:20:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

The rep never mentioned anything about early upgrade, in fact he did the opposite, told me in plain English that I had to wait.

Folks its simple.

1. Bad experience with CS rep in store

2. Yes I was courteous, but did raise my voice to a chosen level by me, but was still courteous.

3. I've paid my bills on time with autopay for as long as I know so my account was in good standing.

4. Yes I was already peeved with a couple of aspects which I noted in my OP.

5. I still stick to my guns that there should be flexibility when a customer is so close to end of contract.

6. I also stated I have had excellent service from ATT in the past, no dropped calls ever & I loved my iPhone.

7. Someone mentioned that's my complaint or post sounds fishy. When I signed up here I had to list my phone number, any CS or admin on these forms can easily validated that I was until recently a ATT customer & that my contract also recently came to an end.

8. Peeps nick picking my use of words like Sprint then Droid! Let me clarify, I moved to sprint, chose the HTC Evo which runs droid i.e.. Android I merely shortened it & not to be mixed up with the moto droid phone.

9. I posted here because my frustration & disappointment at ATT losing a good paying customer over something as stupid as 11 days on the contract when they could have had me stay on for 2 more years, sorry I just don't get that at all, when other companies do it all the time.

I've recently been reading up on the differences between the 4 main carriers here, plans, new technologies, phones etc.

All have good & bad points equally.

But at the end of the day they are all companies the look out for the bottom line.

I still believe I that the rep wasted a perfect opportunity to sign up a customer for two more years (bottom line)

I was treated very unprofessionally by said rep in the store.

A couple have sited that my contract is a binding document, yes while this is true every phone company breaks those contracts every few years when they change rates without informing us.

http://www.ucan.org/telecommunications/wireless/how_cancel_your_cell_phone_contract

• Contracts vary, but most changes to your contract can provide grounds to get out. Almost any new fee or new charge is your opportunity to break the contract. Why? Because they can't change any part of the contract without your permission. But they do it all of the time because they know that you DON'T know that you can use that change as a basis for canceling your contract. Here are some recent examples:
  • Text message price changes (Cingular T-mobile)
  • Administrative charge increase (Verizon, from $0.40 to $0.70)
  • Increase in unpublished number fee (Might entitle a bundled AT&T customer to quit Cingular/AT&T wireless,or AT&T DSL)

Make sure the change/increase applies to you. Typically you need to get to a manager. Be sure to use the term "materially adverse" when referring to the change, and have notice of the change in hand as well as the relevant provisions of the contract.

My point being is that they waive the almighty contact in our faces (all carriers) when it suits them, but do they inform us when they make changes without our permission? NO they don't.

(yes im sure they do in small print on one of our bills, but honestly has anyone ever read those or does the carrier inform us "hey you can get out of your contract cuz we just changed it without asking you")

People should also note that I initially went into a ATT store to get the new iPhone, which I wanted.

I did not expect a few hours later to be a Sprint customer.

It's ATT's fault that I'm now with another carrier, the rep could have handled things much better than he did.

I'm just stating the facts as they happened to me over the past couple of weeks, take that anyway you all see fit.

On a side note.

Don't bother with the 4G $10 option, it's pointless as I've noticed no real differences in web surfing time or D/L time & I'm in one of the cities covered by 4G.

BTW folks I've been playing around more & more with my Android phone, no matter what phone carrier you have as I know ATT do have these phones I highly recommend checking them out, if I had known that it was as nice a OS to use I might have been going down to the ATT store to buy one of these instead of trying to upgrade my iphone.

Kind of ironic actually.

The rep never mentioned anything about early upgrade, in fact he did the opposite, told me in plain English that I had to wait.

Folks its simple.

1. Bad experience with CS rep in store

2. Yes I was courteous, but did raise my voice to a chosen level by me, but was still courteous.

3. I've paid my bills on time with autopay for as long as I know so my account was in good standing.

4. Yes I was already peeved with a couple of aspects which I noted in my OP.

5. I still stick to my guns that there should be flexibility when a customer is so close to end of contract.

6. I also stated I have had excellent service from ATT in the past, no dropped calls ever & I loved my iPhone.

7. Someone mentioned that's my complaint or post sounds fishy. When I signed up here I had to list my phone number, any CS or admin on these forms can easily validated that I was until recently a ATT customer & that my contract also recently came to an end.

8. Peeps nick picking my use of words like Sprint then Droid! Let me clarify, I moved to sprint, chose the HTC Evo which runs droid i.e.. Android I merely shortened it & not to be mixed up with the moto droid phone.

9. I posted here because my frustration & disappointment at ATT losing a good paying customer over something as stupid as 11 days on the contract when they could have had me stay on for 2 more years, sorry I just don't get that at all, when other companies do it all the time.

I've recently been reading up on the differences between the 4 main carriers here, plans, new technologies, phones etc.

All have good & bad points equally.

But at the end of the day they are all companies the look out for the bottom line.

I still believe I that the rep wasted a perfect opportunity to sign up a customer for two more years (bottom line)

A couple have sited that my contract is a binding document, yes while this is true every phone company breaks those contracts every few years when they change rates without informing us.

http://www.ucan.org/telecommunications/wireless/how_cancel_your_cell_phone_contract

• Contracts vary, but most changes to your contract can provide grounds to get out. Almost any new fee or new charge is your opportunity to break the contract. Why? Because they can't change any part of the contract without your permission. But they do it all of the time because they know that you DON'T know that you can use that change as a basis for canceling your contract. Here are some recent examples:
  • Increase in unpublished number fee (Might entitle a bundled AT&T customer to quit Cingular/AT&T wireless,or AT&T DSL)

Make sure the change/increase applies to you. Typically you need to get to a manager. Be sure to use the term "materially adverse" when referring to the change, and have notice of the change in hand as well as the relevant provisions of the contract.

My point being is that they waive the almighty contact in our faces (all carriers) when it suits them, but do they inform us when they make changes without our permission? NO they don't.

(yes im sure they do in small print on one of our bills, but honestly has anyone ever read those or does the carrier inform us "hey you can get out of your contract cuz we just changed it without asking you")

People should also note that I initially went into a ATT store to get the new iPhone, which I wanted.

It's ATT's fault that I'm now with another carrier, the rep could have handled things much better than he did.

I'm just stating the facts as they happened to me over the past couple of weeks, take that anyway you all see fit.

On a side note.

Don't bother with the 4G $10 option, it's pointless as I've noticed no real differences in web surfing time or D/L time & I'm in one of the cities covered by 4G.

BTW folks I've been playing around more & more with my Android phone, no matter what phone carrier you have as I know ATT do have these phones I highly recommend checking them out, if I had known that it was as nice a OS to use I might have been going down to the ATT store to buy one of these instead of trying to upgrade my iphone.

Kind of ironic actually.

36 of 56 (523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2010 1:02:47 PM
(0)
Scholar

Honestly if I didn't get what I expected at a store, I would ask to talk to a manager that can make things happen. Maybe he was just careless in his work, but there are ways around people who are unwilling to help you. I'm sure if he wouldn't help the manager would've made an effort to do something. If not, you could easily call customer service as well. I know this seems like a bit much, but sometimes it's not AT&T that is letting you down, simply the store, that they can't control what happens at all the time. Now if you let someone higher up no what was going on, and the person at the store that gave you this problem's name, then maybe he would have been excused from his job. Even though he was right in one since, I'm sure there was someone that could've made something happen. For him not to try, was a lack in caring for his job, and the company he works for, and personally there are plenty of people out there looking for work, who would love to have that job, and actually make an effort to make sure you left a happy customer.

Honestly if I didn't get what I expected at a store, I would ask to talk to a manager that can make things happen. Maybe he was just careless in his work, but there are ways around people who are unwilling to help you. I'm sure if he wouldn't help the manager would've made an effort to do something. If not, you could easily call customer service as well. I know this seems like a bit much, but sometimes it's not AT&T that is letting you down, simply the store, that they can't control what happens at all the time. Now if you let someone higher up no what was going on, and the person at the store that gave you this problem's name, then maybe he would have been excused from his job. Even though he was right in one since, I'm sure there was someone that could've made something happen. For him not to try, was a lack in caring for his job, and the company he works for, and personally there are plenty of people out there looking for work, who would love to have that job, and actually make an effort to make sure you left a happy customer.

37 of 56 (499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2010 1:59:30 PM
(0)
Tutor
It was the manager of the store, he was a AT&T employee so it was AT&T who let me down.
It was the manager of the store, he was a AT&T employee so it was AT&T who let me down.

38 of 56 (481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 12:20:59 AM
(0)
Scholar

enigmaPrime wrote:

[blah blah blah] Folks its simple [blah blah blah]

I think there were other options you could've explored, but chose not to.  It is all about choice, enjoy your droid.  Personally, I tried the G1 when it came out, returned it.  Most recently, tried the Captivate, and returned it.  You could do worse, but I find it to be a bit fussy, and while some enjoy tweaking their device at the OS level, I'd rather just use it.

Something tells me you'll be regretting your decision when even more choices become available with the launch of WindowsPhone-7  Smiley Surprised

enigmaPrime wrote:

[blah blah blah] Folks its simple [blah blah blah]

I think there were other options you could've explored, but chose not to.  It is all about choice, enjoy your droid.  Personally, I tried the G1 when it came out, returned it.  Most recently, tried the Captivate, and returned it.  You could do worse, but I find it to be a bit fussy, and while some enjoy tweaking their device at the OS level, I'd rather just use it.

Something tells me you'll be regretting your decision when even more choices become available with the launch of WindowsPhone-7  Smiley Surprised

39 of 56 (434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 3:13:37 AM
(0)
Expert

WRIGHTRACING wrote:

"make things happen" - sorry contrary to popular believe a manager does not alway have the ability to override corporate policy and give a "customer every thing they want to make then happy". Can name 5 or 6 companies that if a manager did that they would be written up and on the street looking for a new job. So he or she runs the change of ending up as one of those people that are out ther looking for work.

The is not fanatasy world - the customer is not "always right" and they don't always get what they want. Really do nt understand how you are claiming that "att let someone down" - they are following the letter of the legally binding contract that the customer agreed to - pretty simple all in all, but with attitutude that 99 percent of society has in todays world the customer just doesn't get it.

WRIGHTRACING wrote:

"make things happen" - sorry contrary to popular believe a manager does not alway have the ability to override corporate policy and give a "customer every thing they want to make then happy". Can name 5 or 6 companies that if a manager did that they would be written up and on the street looking for a new job. So he or she runs the change of ending up as one of those people that are out ther looking for work.

The is not fanatasy world - the customer is not "always right" and they don't always get what they want. Really do nt understand how you are claiming that "att let someone down" - they are following the letter of the legally binding contract that the customer agreed to - pretty simple all in all, but with attitutude that 99 percent of society has in todays world the customer just doesn't get it.

40 of 56 (425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 3:24:42 AM
(0)
Master

Treated unprofessionally, AT&T's fault...these are opinions, and poorly formed ones at that.  Those, and 75 cents, will buy you a soda.
Weasel all you want, but you lost your phone and expected to get something before you were due to get it.  We can argue about 11 days, but in reality your UPGRADE date and your CONTRACT TERMINATION date are two different things.  Typically, most people get upgraded phones at somewhere between 18-21 months after signing a new 24-month contract, although that upgrade date can be as soon as 12 months. 
So you either paid an ETF to AT&T to port your number over to Sprint, or you are currently still paying for AT&T service.  Which is it?   

enigmaPrime wrote:

Treated unprofessionally, AT&T's fault...these are opinions, and poorly formed ones at that.  Those, and 75 cents, will buy you a soda.
Weasel all you want, but you lost your phone and expected to get something before you were due to get it.  We can argue about 11 days, but in reality your UPGRADE date and your CONTRACT TERMINATION date are two different things.  Typically, most people get upgraded phones at somewhere between 18-21 months after signing a new 24-month contract, although that upgrade date can be as soon as 12 months. 
So you either paid an ETF to AT&T to port your number over to Sprint, or you are currently still paying for AT&T service.  Which is it?   

enigmaPrime wrote:

41 of 56 (769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 7:09:50 AM
(0)
Expert

BrianfromNO wrote:

enigmaPrime wrote:

No it is not att's fault.

Intersting side note - have been on the same rate plan from ATT/cingular/sbc  that I started with 7 years ago, have never had my rates raised on the base contract, so have never had a "new fee" or charged added to the base price on the plan. That in itsefl negates the ability to cancel - these rate increases DO NOT include changes in taxes or mandatory charges passed on by the cell phone company. Has it happened - sure but historicly the provider informs the end user of the change and the simple fact that they can terminate their contract without any etf. Rarely if ever has the end user not been informed of the changes and the options. Contrary to popular believe and opinion - the companies are not stupid and they pay a lot of money to high prices lawyers to keep them with in the letter of the regulation.

Sorry increase in charges that are mandated by the FCC, or local, state, federal regulatory agencies do not give you the right to walk away from a provider contract with no etf. Verify it by contacting a lawyer that specializes in contract law and you can verify this.

Enjoy your new provider, probably will see you back when you realize that bill of goods you where sold on the early upgrade comments.

BrianfromNO wrote:

enigmaPrime wrote:

No it is not att's fault.

Intersting side note - have been on the same rate plan from ATT/cingular/sbc  that I started with 7 years ago, have never had my rates raised on the base contract, so have never had a "new fee" or charged added to the base price on the plan. That in itsefl negates the ability to cancel - these rate increases DO NOT include changes in taxes or mandatory charges passed on by the cell phone company. Has it happened - sure but historicly the provider informs the end user of the change and the simple fact that they can terminate their contract without any etf. Rarely if ever has the end user not been informed of the changes and the options. Contrary to popular believe and opinion - the companies are not stupid and they pay a lot of money to high prices lawyers to keep them with in the letter of the regulation.

Sorry increase in charges that are mandated by the FCC, or local, state, federal regulatory agencies do not give you the right to walk away from a provider contract with no etf. Verify it by contacting a lawyer that specializes in contract law and you can verify this.

Enjoy your new provider, probably will see you back when you realize that bill of goods you where sold on the early upgrade comments.

42 of 56 (744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 7:13:07 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Oct 6, 2010 at 7:16:17 AM

rdubmu wrote:

but if you look at the fine print - it is only allowed once, after that you are commited to a 2 year contract with no early upgrade, add to the fact the wording is vague - something about a 2 year extension - does this mean a new two contract or is your  current contrat extended 2 years for a total of 3 years commitment.

Now verizon does offer a 1 year contract - at least on business contracts, that is all that I am concerned about with verizon, so not sure if the residential users have the same offer. In doing the 1 year commitment your cost for the phone is higher then if it is a 1 year.

rdubmu wrote:

but if you look at the fine print - it is only allowed once, after that you are commited to a 2 year contract with no early upgrade, add to the fact the wording is vague - something about a 2 year extension - does this mean a new two contract or is your  current contrat extended 2 years for a total of 3 years commitment.

Now verizon does offer a 1 year contract - at least on business contracts, that is all that I am concerned about with verizon, so not sure if the residential users have the same offer. In doing the 1 year commitment your cost for the phone is higher then if it is a 1 year.

[ Edited ]
43 of 56 (739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 4:21:09 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by enigmaPrime on Oct 6, 2010 at 6:07:55 PM

Treated unprofessionally, AT&T's fault...tease are opinion! Yeah that's my OPINION Weasel all I want? Who's weaseling? I posted my complaint & I get called a Weasel by someone who is clearly a AT&T hard core fan with 5k plus posts in these forums!!! you either work for AT&T {Please keep it courteous}. My CONTRACT TERMINATION date was the 11 days! So what you are saying if I'm reading it correctly, UPGRADE date should have occurred about 3 months ago? I got my iphone 24 months ago when I signed my last contract with AT&T SO... If that's the case the AT&T MANAGER at the store screwed up BIG TIME he either did not read my upgrade date correctly, or whom ever imputed the info in the first place entered the wrong date from where my plan contract started. Either way now I was most definitely "treated unprofessionally" @BrianfromNO In your opinion should I have walked out of that store with a new iPhone using the following info. 1. CONTRACT DATE expires in 11 days 2. Got my last iphone 23 months 19 days ago (approx) BTW, Sprint ported my number over Free of charge & I just checked my first bill & the receipt from the sprint store to confirm this.

Treated unprofessionally, AT&T's fault...tease are opinion! Yeah that's my OPINION Weasel all I want? Who's weaseling? I posted my complaint & I get called a Weasel by someone who is clearly a AT&T hard core fan with 5k plus posts in these forums!!! you either work for AT&T {Please keep it courteous}. My CONTRACT TERMINATION date was the 11 days! So what you are saying if I'm reading it correctly, UPGRADE date should have occurred about 3 months ago? I got my iphone 24 months ago when I signed my last contract with AT&T SO... If that's the case the AT&T MANAGER at the store screwed up BIG TIME he either did not read my upgrade date correctly, or whom ever imputed the info in the first place entered the wrong date from where my plan contract started. Either way now I was most definitely "treated unprofessionally" @BrianfromNO In your opinion should I have walked out of that store with a new iPhone using the following info. 1. CONTRACT DATE expires in 11 days 2. Got my last iphone 23 months 19 days ago (approx) BTW, Sprint ported my number over Free of charge & I just checked my first bill & the receipt from the sprint store to confirm this.

[ Edited ]
44 of 56 (683 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 5:39:26 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Oct 6, 2010 at 6:08:46 PM

enigmaPrime wrote:

sorry you misunderstood what was written, no where did I call you a weasel, you are reading into it what you want to see. I don't like sale personnel, especially ones that are on commision then tend to promise the moon just to make the sale and get the commision. trying reading the comment again and quote eactly where I call YOU one.

Have no idea when you exactly got your phone, or even if it is the primary line on a family plan - upgrade dates are determined by the amount you spend on the line and how long you have had it. If you line was a feed off a fmaily plan that the cost was only 9.99 then 24 months is about right for a upgrade eligbility date.  Sprint did you no favor - porting a number is free.

Again to correct a misconception of yours, I do not work for ATT,  if I worked for ATT I would have to put the disclaimer at the bottom of my signature line - which if you take a moment you will see it is not there. I own and run a very successful technical consulting firm that deals with high return vertical market applications on smart phones (not anything you would see for 2.99), online support for a couple of major online games, and a certfiied cisco value added partner - plus a few other departments that are international in responsiblities. Have a lot of free times on my hands with all the traveling that I do and the simple fact I hire the best people available to keep my business on a high profit margin when i am in town My days starts or 3:00 AM and normally ends around 10 or 11 pm.

I am curious about one of your posts concerning your new phone though - you mention the 10.00 4G option - according to the business representative (will not offend you with how I really would like to comment) they tell me the additional 4G charge is mandatory and no store can override it. How did you get it as a option. The mandatory was verified from independant methods also - I tried putting an order together on the sprint wensite and it would not let me deselect "premium Data"

enigmaPrime wrote:

sorry you misunderstood what was written, no where did I call you a weasel, you are reading into it what you want to see. I don't like sale personnel, especially ones that are on commision then tend to promise the moon just to make the sale and get the commision. trying reading the comment again and quote eactly where I call YOU one.

Have no idea when you exactly got your phone, or even if it is the primary line on a family plan - upgrade dates are determined by the amount you spend on the line and how long you have had it. If you line was a feed off a fmaily plan that the cost was only 9.99 then 24 months is about right for a upgrade eligbility date.  Sprint did you no favor - porting a number is free.

Again to correct a misconception of yours, I do not work for ATT,  if I worked for ATT I would have to put the disclaimer at the bottom of my signature line - which if you take a moment you will see it is not there. I own and run a very successful technical consulting firm that deals with high return vertical market applications on smart phones (not anything you would see for 2.99), online support for a couple of major online games, and a certfiied cisco value added partner - plus a few other departments that are international in responsiblities. Have a lot of free times on my hands with all the traveling that I do and the simple fact I hire the best people available to keep my business on a high profit margin when i am in town My days starts or 3:00 AM and normally ends around 10 or 11 pm.

I am curious about one of your posts concerning your new phone though - you mention the 10.00 4G option - according to the business representative (will not offend you with how I really would like to comment) they tell me the additional 4G charge is mandatory and no store can override it. How did you get it as a option. The mandatory was verified from independant methods also - I tried putting an order together on the sprint wensite and it would not let me deselect "premium Data"

[ Edited ]
45 of 56 (666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 9:45:16 PM
(0)
Scholar

any cell carrier will port your number for free. I got my number ported from T-mobile for free, I could go back for free.

any cell carrier will port your number for free. I got my number ported from T-mobile for free, I could go back for free.

46 of 56 (629 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 12:01:44 AM
(0)
Scholar

enigmaPrime wrote:

[blah blah blah] My CONTRACT TERMINATION date was the 11 days! [blah blah blah]

It's obvious you wish you'd waited it out, or you wouldn't be here typing about it so much Smiley Wink

enigmaPrime wrote:

[blah blah blah] My CONTRACT TERMINATION date was the 11 days! [blah blah blah]

It's obvious you wish you'd waited it out, or you wouldn't be here typing about it so much Smiley Wink

47 of 56 (612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 12:04:12 AM
(0)
Guru

I'm curious how you weren't already upgrade eligible if you were 11 days from the end of the contract.  You usually become eligible about 18-21 months into the 24 month contract.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

I'm curious how you weren't already upgrade eligible if you were 11 days from the end of the contract.  You usually become eligible about 18-21 months into the 24 month contract.

48 of 56 (610 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 12:07:03 AM
(0)
Scholar

erichamion wrote:

I think everyone here pretty much assumes there's more to the story than he's letting on... Smiley Wink

erichamion wrote:

I think everyone here pretty much assumes there's more to the story than he's letting on... Smiley Wink

49 of 56 (608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 9:37:32 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by DimentoGraven on Oct 7, 2010 at 9:38:12 AM

Usually I'm the first to criticize AT&T, and support my fellow AT&T customers against AT&T's idiosyncratic policies and services. 

This would not be one of those times.

I sympathize with your situation, and the possibility that you may have been treated unfairly, and your desire to be instantaneously gratified on all your demands, but I think you may be a bit out on a limb here.

1.  It's not AT&T's fault you misplaced your phone.  Lost phones and what cellular companies should/should not do is a subject I regularly pontificate on on these forums, but in this case, AT&T is not at fault.

2.  Your duration as a customer, while yes, should be considered in all of AT&T's dealings (after all loyalty should have its rewards), attempting to use that as a bargaining chip at an AT&T store, a store you may or may not have ever been in before, really isn't the most effective way of utilizing it.  Honestly you should have called AT&T customer service and worked direct with AT&T corporate.  I believe a lot of the AT&T stores are actually "franchises" which means they don't really have to honor or participate in any of AT&T's special deals and such.  By calling customer service or going on line, you've a better chance at getting the best deal from AT&T and leveraging your "loyalty".  Though when it comes to things like "early upgrades" and such, a line eventually has to be drawn somewhere.

3.  The employee that "may" have treated you unprofessionally may have been doing as much as his boss would allow.  When I worked customer service we did everything reasonable to make a customer happy.  There comes a point where the customer's wants/demands are just silly.  No, the customer is NOT always right, just the one who always pays at the end.  Where we got this idea of "entitlement" to getting what we want , I don't know, but seriously we as consumers need to chill that out a bit.

4.  Being told "no", and/or "there's nothing more I can do for you, take it or leave it", is not being treated unproffesionally.  It may be blunt, but from the description given, it sounds like he may have perceived you'd not get the point until it was put bluntly before you.  From the descriptiong given, he never used foul language or raised his voice to you, only stated his limitations and your options.  From your post it really sounds like he was doing the best job he could with a difficult customer in a difficult situation.

Sorry you're no longer an AT&T customer, I hope your new provider meets your expectations.  Good luck.

Usually I'm the first to criticize AT&T, and support my fellow AT&T customers against AT&T's idiosyncratic policies and services. 

This would not be one of those times.

I sympathize with your situation, and the possibility that you may have been treated unfairly, and your desire to be instantaneously gratified on all your demands, but I think you may be a bit out on a limb here.

1.  It's not AT&T's fault you misplaced your phone.  Lost phones and what cellular companies should/should not do is a subject I regularly pontificate on on these forums, but in this case, AT&T is not at fault.

2.  Your duration as a customer, while yes, should be considered in all of AT&T's dealings (after all loyalty should have its rewards), attempting to use that as a bargaining chip at an AT&T store, a store you may or may not have ever been in before, really isn't the most effective way of utilizing it.  Honestly you should have called AT&T customer service and worked direct with AT&T corporate.  I believe a lot of the AT&T stores are actually "franchises" which means they don't really have to honor or participate in any of AT&T's special deals and such.  By calling customer service or going on line, you've a better chance at getting the best deal from AT&T and leveraging your "loyalty".  Though when it comes to things like "early upgrades" and such, a line eventually has to be drawn somewhere.

3.  The employee that "may" have treated you unprofessionally may have been doing as much as his boss would allow.  When I worked customer service we did everything reasonable to make a customer happy.  There comes a point where the customer's wants/demands are just silly.  No, the customer is NOT always right, just the one who always pays at the end.  Where we got this idea of "entitlement" to getting what we want , I don't know, but seriously we as consumers need to chill that out a bit.

4.  Being told "no", and/or "there's nothing more I can do for you, take it or leave it", is not being treated unproffesionally.  It may be blunt, but from the description given, it sounds like he may have perceived you'd not get the point until it was put bluntly before you.  From the descriptiong given, he never used foul language or raised his voice to you, only stated his limitations and your options.  From your post it really sounds like he was doing the best job he could with a difficult customer in a difficult situation.

Sorry you're no longer an AT&T customer, I hope your new provider meets your expectations.  Good luck.

[ Edited ]
50 of 56 (561 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 9:49:06 AM
(0)
Master

Yadda, yadda....either way, your story still does not add up.  You couldn't have been 11 days away from the end of your contract and not been upgrade eligible unless there were extenuating circumstances....a history of late payments, service interruptions, etc.  Typically, the latest I've seen upgrade dates on a 24-month contract are at the 21-month mark.

Treating you professionally does not equate to giving you what you want when you want it, no matter what kind of tantrum you throw.  Treating you professionally is giving you professional courtesy, and being gracious in declining a request that can't be honored.

Sprint will gladly port your number for free any time you want to port it over.  If they port it over and you're still under contract with AT&T, then AT&T reserves the right to hit you with an ETF.  If you still had 11 days left on your contract, don't be shocked if your final AT&T bill includes that charge...and no, Sprint will not pay it for you.

enigmaPrime wrote:

Yadda, yadda....either way, your story still does not add up.  You couldn't have been 11 days away from the end of your contract and not been upgrade eligible unless there were extenuating circumstances....a history of late payments, service interruptions, etc.  Typically, the latest I've seen upgrade dates on a 24-month contract are at the 21-month mark.

Treating you professionally does not equate to giving you what you want when you want it, no matter what kind of tantrum you throw.  Treating you professionally is giving you professional courtesy, and being gracious in declining a request that can't be honored.

Sprint will gladly port your number for free any time you want to port it over.  If they port it over and you're still under contract with AT&T, then AT&T reserves the right to hit you with an ETF.  If you still had 11 days left on your contract, don't be shocked if your final AT&T bill includes that charge...and no, Sprint will not pay it for you.

enigmaPrime wrote:

51 of 56 (512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 3:00:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

Brian, you said "weasel all you want" aint that calling me a weasel?

However you were right regarding the $10 4G fee, regardless if you are in a 4G zone or not, its a manatory fee. My mistake there, I was sure I was not paying that cuz I did tell the rep I did not need 4G, seems I'm stuck with it, but my bill is still cheaper at the end of the day.

EFT fee poster, I was issued a temp number by sprint & sprint ported my number over the day my contract ended so no fee, the store rep advised me to do so just for that reason.

AT&T rep who posted.

I knew absolutely nothing about the 18-23 month device upgrade option, first I've heard of that was here, I always used the contract end date to upgrade my phone, 24 months.

I took one posters advice & called AT&T directly to clarify weather or not I was eligible for a iphone upgrade.

To my complete & utter amazement the CS rep said that I was & that the store representative who handled my case in the store error-ed & should have upgraded my phone on the spot. The CS rep appologised, I voiced my disapointment & at this point thats all I can do.

To the person who said that I am only posting because I wish I had waited,

I'm replying to posts because I'm the OP, I couldn't be happier where I'm at right now, my phone is super fast & I most of the same apps I used on my iphone, still would like to see zynga make holdem for android but I think I'll surrvive.

To the poster who mentioned I may not be telling the whole story.

I welcome the AT&T rep to go into my (still active but limited online account) & check the validity of my post I asked the phone rep to take a note of my situation for future reference also.

At the end of the day it appears I was angry for sort of all the wrong reasons, I made the point that only 11 days left on my contract should have made the ATT rep in store more flexable to upgrading me to keep a customer for 2 more years.

But it does not negate the fact that the store manager was wrong to deny me a phone upgrade in the first place especially concidering I was fully entitled to one!

I now concider this matter closed as there is no point in carrying this debate on.

I happy with my new carrier & I'm glad I'm away from the iphone.

Brian, you said "weasel all you want" aint that calling me a weasel?

However you were right regarding the $10 4G fee, regardless if you are in a 4G zone or not, its a manatory fee. My mistake there, I was sure I was not paying that cuz I did tell the rep I did not need 4G, seems I'm stuck with it, but my bill is still cheaper at the end of the day.

EFT fee poster, I was issued a temp number by sprint & sprint ported my number over the day my contract ended so no fee, the store rep advised me to do so just for that reason.

AT&T rep who posted.

I knew absolutely nothing about the 18-23 month device upgrade option, first I've heard of that was here, I always used the contract end date to upgrade my phone, 24 months.

I took one posters advice & called AT&T directly to clarify weather or not I was eligible for a iphone upgrade.

To my complete & utter amazement the CS rep said that I was & that the store representative who handled my case in the store error-ed & should have upgraded my phone on the spot. The CS rep appologised, I voiced my disapointment & at this point thats all I can do.

To the person who said that I am only posting because I wish I had waited,

I'm replying to posts because I'm the OP, I couldn't be happier where I'm at right now, my phone is super fast & I most of the same apps I used on my iphone, still would like to see zynga make holdem for android but I think I'll surrvive.

I welcome the AT&T rep to go into my (still active but limited online account) & check the validity of my post I asked the phone rep to take a note of my situation for future reference also.

At the end of the day it appears I was angry for sort of all the wrong reasons, I made the point that only 11 days left on my contract should have made the ATT rep in store more flexable to upgrading me to keep a customer for 2 more years.

But it does not negate the fact that the store manager was wrong to deny me a phone upgrade in the first place especially concidering I was fully entitled to one!

I now concider this matter closed as there is no point in carrying this debate on.

52 of 56 (472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 3:08:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

@ Wingrider01

I'm actually hitting the reply but at the bottom of the screen, I am not intentionally replying to any perticular person, just to the thread as a who, it was Brian who used the Weasel coment not you & my reply should have been directed towards him.I use NoScript on my Mozilla & some of the post options were not visable untill I allowed all of ATT.com through, thats why my last post was so grouped together.

@ Wingrider01

I'm actually hitting the reply but at the bottom of the screen, I am not intentionally replying to any perticular person, just to the thread as a who, it was Brian who used the Weasel coment not you & my reply should have been directed towards him.I use NoScript on my Mozilla & some of the post options were not visable untill I allowed all of ATT.com through, thats why my last post was so grouped together.

53 of 56 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 3:09:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

enigmaPrime wrote:

[blah blah blah] ... I now concider this matter closed as there is no point in carrying this debate on.

That's great, so you'll have no reason to keep returning and posting stuff about a carrier you no longer use.  With luck a board admin will read your statement and close off the topic Smiley Wink

enigmaPrime wrote:

[blah blah blah] ... I now concider this matter closed as there is no point in carrying this debate on.

That's great, so you'll have no reason to keep returning and posting stuff about a carrier you no longer use.  With luck a board admin will read your statement and close off the topic Smiley Wink

54 of 56 (465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 3:13:53 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by UNSC_REACH on Oct 7, 2010 at 3:14:15 PM

enigmaPrime wrote:

No ATT reps posting on here will go into your account, thats a breach of privacy. Imagine if any employee posting here had access to your account.

They are posting as personal experience only, and have no official "ATT powers".

enigmaPrime wrote:

No ATT reps posting on here will go into your account, thats a breach of privacy. Imagine if any employee posting here had access to your account.

They are posting as personal experience only, and have no official "ATT powers".

[ Edited ]
55 of 56 (463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 3:28:50 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

56 of 56 (457 Views)