So Upset I moved phone companies

Scholar

Re: So Upset I moved phone companies

any cell carrier will port your number for free. I got my number ported from T-mobile for free, I could go back for free.

Message 46 of 56 (697 Views)
Scholar

enigmaPrime wrote:

[blah blah blah] My CONTRACT TERMINATION date was the 11 days! [blah blah blah]

It's obvious you wish you'd waited it out, or you wouldn't be here typing about it so much Smiley Wink

Message 47 of 56 (680 Views)

I'm curious how you weren't already upgrade eligible if you were 11 days from the end of the contract.  You usually become eligible about 18-21 months into the 24 month contract.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 48 of 56 (678 Views)
Scholar

erichamion wrote:

I'm curious how you weren't already upgrade eligible if you were 11 days from the end of the contract.  You usually become eligible about 18-21 months into the 24 month contract.

I think everyone here pretty much assumes there's more to the story than he's letting on... Smiley Wink

Message 49 of 56 (676 Views)

[ Edited ]

Usually I'm the first to criticize AT&T, and support my fellow AT&T customers against AT&T's idiosyncratic policies and services. 

This would not be one of those times.

I sympathize with your situation, and the possibility that you may have been treated unfairly, and your desire to be instantaneously gratified on all your demands, but I think you may be a bit out on a limb here.

1.  It's not AT&T's fault you misplaced your phone.  Lost phones and what cellular companies should/should not do is a subject I regularly pontificate on on these forums, but in this case, AT&T is not at fault.

2.  Your duration as a customer, while yes, should be considered in all of AT&T's dealings (after all loyalty should have its rewards), attempting to use that as a bargaining chip at an AT&T store, a store you may or may not have ever been in before, really isn't the most effective way of utilizing it.  Honestly you should have called AT&T customer service and worked direct with AT&T corporate.  I believe a lot of the AT&T stores are actually "franchises" which means they don't really have to honor or participate in any of AT&T's special deals and such.  By calling customer service or going on line, you've a better chance at getting the best deal from AT&T and leveraging your "loyalty".  Though when it comes to things like "early upgrades" and such, a line eventually has to be drawn somewhere.

3.  The employee that "may" have treated you unprofessionally may have been doing as much as his boss would allow.  When I worked customer service we did everything reasonable to make a customer happy.  There comes a point where the customer's wants/demands are just silly.  No, the customer is NOT always right, just the one who always pays at the end.  Where we got this idea of "entitlement" to getting what we want , I don't know, but seriously we as consumers need to chill that out a bit.

4.  Being told "no", and/or "there's nothing more I can do for you, take it or leave it", is not being treated unproffesionally.  It may be blunt, but from the description given, it sounds like he may have perceived you'd not get the point until it was put bluntly before you.  From the descriptiong given, he never used foul language or raised his voice to you, only stated his limitations and your options.  From your post it really sounds like he was doing the best job he could with a difficult customer in a difficult situation.

Sorry you're no longer an AT&T customer, I hope your new provider meets your expectations.  Good luck.

Message 50 of 56 (629 Views)
Master

Yadda, yadda....either way, your story still does not add up.  You couldn't have been 11 days away from the end of your contract and not been upgrade eligible unless there were extenuating circumstances....a history of late payments, service interruptions, etc.  Typically, the latest I've seen upgrade dates on a 24-month contract are at the 21-month mark.

Treating you professionally does not equate to giving you what you want when you want it, no matter what kind of tantrum you throw.  Treating you professionally is giving you professional courtesy, and being gracious in declining a request that can't be honored.

Sprint will gladly port your number for free any time you want to port it over.  If they port it over and you're still under contract with AT&T, then AT&T reserves the right to hit you with an ETF.  If you still had 11 days left on your contract, don't be shocked if your final AT&T bill includes that charge...and no, Sprint will not pay it for you.

enigmaPrime wrote:

Treated unprofessionally, AT&T's fault...tease are opinion! Yeah that's my OPINION Weasel all I want? Who's weaseling? I posted my complaint & I get called a Weasel by someone who is clearly a AT&T hard core fan with 5k plus posts in these forums!!! you either work for AT&T {Please keep it courteous}. My CONTRACT TERMINATION date was the 11 days! So what you are saying if I'm reading it correctly, UPGRADE date should have occurred about 3 months ago? I got my iphone 24 months ago when I signed my last contract with AT&T SO... If that's the case the AT&T MANAGER at the store screwed up BIG TIME he either did not read my upgrade date correctly, or whom ever imputed the info in the first place entered the wrong date from where my plan contract started. Either way now I was most definitely "treated unprofessionally" @BrianfromNO In your opinion should I have walked out of that store with a new iPhone using the following info. 1. CONTRACT DATE expires in 11 days 2. Got my last iphone 23 months 19 days ago (approx) BTW, Sprint ported my number over Free of charge & I just checked my first bill & the receipt from the sprint store to confirm this.

Message 51 of 56 (580 Views)

Brian, you said "weasel all you want" aint that calling me a weasel?

However you were right regarding the $10 4G fee, regardless if you are in a 4G zone or not, its a manatory fee. My mistake there, I was sure I was not paying that cuz I did tell the rep I did not need 4G, seems I'm stuck with it, but my bill is still cheaper at the end of the day.

EFT fee poster, I was issued a temp number by sprint & sprint ported my number over the day my contract ended so no fee, the store rep advised me to do so just for that reason.

AT&T rep who posted.

I knew absolutely nothing about the 18-23 month device upgrade option, first I've heard of that was here, I always used the contract end date to upgrade my phone, 24 months.

I took one posters advice & called AT&T directly to clarify weather or not I was eligible for a iphone upgrade.

To my complete & utter amazement the CS rep said that I was & that the store representative who handled my case in the store error-ed & should have upgraded my phone on the spot. The CS rep appologised, I voiced my disapointment & at this point thats all I can do.

To the person who said that I am only posting because I wish I had waited,

I'm replying to posts because I'm the OP, I couldn't be happier where I'm at right now, my phone is super fast & I most of the same apps I used on my iphone, still would like to see zynga make holdem for android but I think I'll surrvive.

To the poster who mentioned I may not be telling the whole story.

I welcome the AT&T rep to go into my (still active but limited online account) & check the validity of my post I asked the phone rep to take a note of my situation for future reference also.

At the end of the day it appears I was angry for sort of all the wrong reasons, I made the point that only 11 days left on my contract should have made the ATT rep in store more flexable to upgrading me to keep a customer for 2 more years.

But it does not negate the fact that the store manager was wrong to deny me a phone upgrade in the first place especially concidering I was fully entitled to one!

I now concider this matter closed as there is no point in carrying this debate on.

I happy with my new carrier & I'm glad I'm away from the iphone.

Message 52 of 56 (540 Views)

@ Wingrider01

I'm actually hitting the reply but at the bottom of the screen, I am not intentionally replying to any perticular person, just to the thread as a who, it was Brian who used the Weasel coment not you & my reply should have been directed towards him.I use NoScript on my Mozilla & some of the post options were not visable untill I allowed all of ATT.com through, thats why my last post was so grouped together.

Message 53 of 56 (534 Views)
Scholar

enigmaPrime wrote:

[blah blah blah] ... I now concider this matter closed as there is no point in carrying this debate on.

I happy with my new carrier & I'm glad I'm away from the iphone.

That's great, so you'll have no reason to keep returning and posting stuff about a carrier you no longer use.  With luck a board admin will read your statement and close off the topic Smiley Wink

Message 54 of 56 (533 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

enigmaPrime wrote:

To the poster who mentioned I may not be telling the whole story.

I welcome the AT&T rep to go into my (still active but limited online account) & check the validity of my post I asked the phone rep to take a note of my situation for future reference also.

No ATT reps posting on here will go into your account, thats a breach of privacy. Imagine if any employee posting here had access to your account.

They are posting as personal experience only, and have no official "ATT powers".

Message 55 of 56 (531 Views)
Highlighted
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 56 of 56 (525 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.