So I CANT have the shared unlimited messaging?!

Teacher

So I CANT have the shared unlimited messaging?!

So I have 2 phones on my family talk plan.  A Blackberry Pearl, and my iPhone. I decided that the 200 text messages per phone isnt enough, and i noticed that on the feature page ATT has a new 'Family Unlimited Text Message Plan' and I think to myself "this is just what i need"  So i go to add it and i get an error saying i have to remove the blackberry data plan from my account in order for it to work.  Well, considering the blackberry REQUIRES a data plan, i cant do that.  So I switch to my phone and try to add it on my line, but again, I cant even manage the features because i have an iPhone.  So i call ATT support, and not surprisingly, i get a guy on the line who sounds like he lives a few blocks from the Taj Mahal.  He tells me that since I have these "special" phones on my account (since when are smartphones so different from regular phones) i cant have the $30 unlimited shared messaging plan.  Not only that, but I have to pay for unlimited messages seperately on each plan, $50 for the blackberry and $40 for the iphone.  So instead of $30, i have to pay THREE TIMES that much, for the same service, just because we own smartphones?  For that much, I can go to sprint and get unlimited EVERYTHING: Data, Text and Voice.  So I ask you this: why have I been a customer of ATT for over 4 years, when i get gouged so badly?

Maybe an AMERICAN rep will come here and convince me not to take my $150/month elsewhere.
Message 1 of 5 (2,764 Views)
Expert

Re: So I CANT have the shared unlimited messaging?!

Trebek wrote:
     So I have 2 phones on my family talk plan.  A Blackberry Pearl, and my iPhone. I decided that the 200 text messages per phone isnt enough, and i noticed that on the feature page ATT has a new 'Family Unlimited Text Message Plan' and I think to myself "this is just what i need"  So i go to add it and i get an error saying i have to remove the blackberry data plan from my account in order for it to work.  Well, considering the blackberry REQUIRES a data plan, i cant do that.  So I switch to my phone and try to add it on my line, but again, I cant even manage the features because i have an iPhone.  So i call ATT support, and not surprisingly, i get a guy on the line who sounds like he lives a few blocks from the Taj Mahal.  He tells me that since I have these "special" phones on my account (since when are smartphones so different from regular phones) i cant have the $30 unlimited shared messaging plan.  Not only that, but I have to pay for unlimited messages seperately on each plan, $50 for the blackberry and $40 for the iphone.  So instead of $30, i have to pay THREE TIMES that much, for the same service, just because we own smartphones?  For that much, I can go to sprint and get unlimited EVERYTHING: Data, Text and Voice.  So I ask you this: why have I been a customer of ATT for over 4 years, when i get gouged so badly?
     Maybe an AMERICAN rep will come here and convince me not to take my $150/month elsewhere.

Do you already have the family plan on the account or do you have individual calling plans for both lines, if each has its own plan then you can not  have the family shared sms package for $30 a month.
Message 2 of 5 (2,751 Views)
Master

wilcre wrote:

Trebek wrote:

Do you already have the family plan on the account or do you have individual calling plans for both lines, if each has its own plan then you can not  have the family shared sms package for $30 a month.

First sentence of the OP's post says it's a Family Talk Plan.  Smiley Wink
If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.
Message 3 of 5 (2,747 Views)

You WERE informed incorrectly, you can have the basic $30 BB data plan and iphone basic data plan $20, and then add family messaging for $30.  Just call back to customer care and complain you were misinformed.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.
Message 4 of 5 (2,737 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

[ Edited ]
I called today and talked to someone from the US, and they had no problem adding the feature I wanted. 

{Keep it courteous, do not go around the word filter and make sure you edit out any uncalled for comments.  Thank you.}

Message Edited by mod.moose on 04-29-2008 11:40:34 PM
Message 5 of 5 (2,637 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.