Smartphone

d1h
Scholar

Smartphone

Which is the best smartphone?
Message 1 of 9 (1,031 Views)
Master

Re: Smartphone

That's currently being offered on AT&T? I, for one, like the Samsung Captivate. (Android phone).

There's WP7 phones, too, like the Samsung Focus and the LG Quantum.

Of course, there are the typical BlackBerries, (the Torch is
cool) and the iPhone.

But there is a group of "4G" devices to be offered pretty soon... They are very high-tech and appear that they're going to be a huge hit. They are the:
Samsung Infuse 4G - 4.5" AMOLED touchscreen. (A bit large...)
HTC Inspire 4G - 4.3" touchscreen, nice looks.
Motorola Atrix - said to be "the most advanced smartphone out there".

While there are some pretty good options to choose from right now, the "4G" devices seem like they are going to blow all of us away. I like the Captivate and Inspire 4G right now.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 2 of 9 (1,020 Views)
Master

Re: Smartphone

4G is nice but don't get hung up on it.  The term is used loosely on what the specs/speeds really are.  Also most places will not have 4G coverage for a while. 

 

What do you primarily plan to do with the phone (email, web browsing, gaming, photography, navigation etc etc)?

 

Then I would see how each of the operating systems fit on your needs like Andriod, Windows Phone 7, iPhone iOS or Blackberry.  Each has their own unique features.

 

 

Message 3 of 9 (978 Views)
Professor

Re: Smartphone

I am liking the Infuse  a LOT  but may wait for the Atrix.  But i just "gotta' have my physical keyboard....  Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 9 (973 Views)
Master

Re: Smartphone

I used to alway prefer a physical keyboard also (Cingular 8125, Cingular 8525 and AT&T Tilt).  But after I got my iPhone I now find the physical keyboard clunky/bulky and don't see how I put up with it before.  But to be fair most touchscreen phones I've tried don't have a keyboard as nice as the iPhone.  I haven't got to play with the Windows Phone 7 keyboard yet.

Message 5 of 9 (969 Views)
Scholar

Re: Smartphone

 


Planet-Ed wrote:

4G is nice but don't get hung up on it.  The term is used loosely on what the specs/speeds really are.  Also most places will not have 4G coverage for a while. 

 

What do you primarily plan to do with the phone (email, web browsing, gaming, photography, navigation etc etc)?

 

Then I would see how each of the operating systems fit on your needs like Andriod, Windows Phone 7, iPhone iOS or Blackberry.  Each has their own unique features.

 

 


Hasn't AT&T stated that their upcoming "4G" (HSPA+) will be available at launch on those devices everywhere 3G is currently available? I could be wrong, but I thought I read that directly from AT&T somewhere once or twice.

 

Message 6 of 9 (962 Views)
Master

Re: Smartphone

 


das8nt wrote:

Hasn't AT&T stated that their upcoming "4G" (HSPA+) will be available at launch on those devices everywhere 3G is currently available? I could be wrong, but I thought I read that directly from AT&T somewhere once or twice.


I haven't seen that.  Even at the bottom of their 4G Coverage page is shows:

 


*4G speeds require a 4G device and are delivered when HSPA+ technology is combined with enhanced backhaul.
4G speeds will be available in limited areas with availability increasing with ongoing backhaul deployment.

 


 

 

Message 7 of 9 (938 Views)
Master

Re: Smartphone


Wild Banchi wrote:
That's currently being offered on AT&T? I, for one, like the Samsung Captivate. (Android phone).

There's WP7 phones, too, like the Samsung Focus and the LG Quantum.

Of course, there are the typical BlackBerries, (the Torch is
cool) and the iPhone.

But there is a group of "4G" devices to be offered pretty soon... They are very high-tech and appear that they're going to be a huge hit. They are the:
Samsung Infuse 4G - 4.5" AMOLED touchscreen. (A bit large...)
HTC Inspire 4G - 4.3" touchscreen, nice looks.
Motorola Atrix - said to be "the most advanced smartphone out there".

While there are some pretty good options to choose from right now, the "4G" devices seem like they are going to blow all of us away. I like the Captivate and Inspire 4G right now.

And yet every single one of those future android phones will be limited from its "Stock" full potential as long as AT&T keeps their policy of blocking the ability to install (through the phone itself) third party apps not acquired from the Android Market.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 9 (886 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: Smartphone

 


Planet-Ed wrote:

 


das8nt wrote:

Hasn't AT&T stated that their upcoming "4G" (HSPA+) will be available at launch on those devices everywhere 3G is currently available? I could be wrong, but I thought I read that directly from AT&T somewhere once or twice.


I haven't seen that.  Even at the bottom of their 4G Coverage page is shows:

 


*4G speeds require a 4G device and are delivered when HSPA+ technology is combined with enhanced backhaul.
4G speeds will be available in limited areas with availability increasing with ongoing backhaul deployment.

 


 

 


 

I guess what I'm referring to is here:

 

"4G Portfolio

 

 

AT&T is the leader in smartphones and expects to widen that lead in 2011. In January, AT&T committed to an industry-leading Android portfolio in the U.S. in 2011 and said it plans to offer two 4G smartphones in the first quarter. The HTC Inspire 4G is the first of more than 20 4G devices AT&T plans to deliver in 2011. AT&T has completed the deployment of HSPA+ to virtually 100 percent of its mobile broadband network, which enables 4G speeds when combined with Ethernet or fiber backhaul."

 

From THIS news release. They had said it before in a previous release, but I have yet to locate that one. Drilling down on their "Mobile Broadband" looks to me like it's their 3G network, just renamed.

 

Message 9 of 9 (849 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.