Smartphone data plan rollover?

Mentor

Smartphone data plan rollover?

[ Edited ]

I wasn't aware of this but apparently the GoPhone Smartphone data plans have rollover? Or is this just a mistake and it takes a couple of days to see the data fall off of the account? I didn't use much data and I am on the 500MB plan.This is my first renewal and now shows close to a gig available?

 

Message 1 of 12 (4,764 Views)
Master

Re: Smartphone data plan rollover?

[ Edited ]

I would expect that you'd receive rollover of your unused feature balance even with a smartphone voice plan.  The feature plans aren't distinguished between feature phone vs. smartphone plans - and for quite some time now the feature plans have included rollover as long as you renew prior to the feature's expiration date.

 

However, I do find it interesting - only at&t knows if it's indicative of a future change - that all discussion of this "rollover" for feature packages has been removed from the general "informational" web page re: GoPhone service.  It could be that they intend to discontinue the practice, or it may have just been an oversight when they revamped the webpage to include the smartphone voice plans.  Even within the "Plan Terms" tab, it only discusses Rollover in terms of account funding; and without the additional specifics re: the feature plans that used to exist, the generic blurb re: "Rollover" at the top of the informational webpage is ambiguous.  However within the on-line account management system there is still discussion of feature rollover on the set up page for auto-renewal of features, so hopefully it was just an oversight in creating the new informational GoPhone webpage.  (And there is also discussion of the limits for "stacked" feature balances in the Q&A section - it's 1.5 GB on data.)

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 2 of 12 (4,748 Views)
Mentor

Re: Smartphone data plan rollover?

I see what you mean about the account management help mentioning 1.5gig max and I don't see much else either other than the gophone plan page just mentioning the generic "Rollover Balance® lets you carry over unused balance if refilled before balance expires."

 

I was under the impression it would expire, this is a nice plus. 

 

I may hit the cap eventually, I wonder if I can change down to the 100mb plan and keep the data I had built up? I can't think of why not.

Message 3 of 12 (4,740 Views)
Master

Re: Smartphone data plan rollover?


MaxBurn wrote:

I may hit the cap eventually, I wonder if I can change down to the 100mb plan and keep the data I had built up? I can't think of why not.


Neither can I. Smiley Happy Go for it. That's a great money-saver right there. And I don't know about you, but I'm not one to pass up a bargain. Smiley Wink

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 4 of 12 (4,733 Views)
Master

Re: Smartphone data plan rollover?


MaxBurn wrote:

I see what you mean about the account management help mentioning 1.5gig max and I don't see much else either other than the gophone plan page just mentioning the generic "Rollover Balance® lets you carry over unused balance if refilled before balance expires."

 

I was under the impression it would expire, this is a nice plus. 

 

I may hit the cap eventually, I wonder if I can change down to the 100mb plan and keep the data I had built up? I can't think of why not.


Yes - you should be able to.  That's what I've been doing for quite some time now with both my messaging and data feature plans.  I purchased 1,000 messages one time and subsequently I've been "using down" by only purchasing 200 messages.  With data, I purchased 100 MB several months ago, but in subsequent months I've only been purchasing 1 MB.  I've kept my "rollover" all along, so it has made it a more cost effective way of using features (compared to post paid service) than it first appears.

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 5 of 12 (4,722 Views)
Mentor

Re: Smartphone data plan rollover?

What exactly do you do? I am thinking of steps like turn off auto renew, add the new data package and then enable autorenew for that package?

Message 6 of 12 (4,684 Views)
Master

Re: Smartphone data plan rollover?


MaxBurn wrote:

What exactly do you do? I am thinking of steps like turn off auto renew, add the new data package and then enable autorenew for that package?


I don't use the feature auto-renewal function - I did for awhile, but had a problem last November where it didn't happen as it should have.  Customer service could see that it had "kicked off in the background" and so they rectified the situation but warned me that they could only do so one time.  If it happened again, even though it was by no fault of my own, they wouldn't be able to restore my feature balance.  So I see no point to using it if at&t won't stand behind their customer when they can see that their own systems have been the cause of the problem. Smiley Sad

 

I just make a calendar entry/alert on my phone for the expiry and manually renew the features the day before.

 

But yes, if you currently use the feature auto-renewal and want to buy a larger package just for one month, the steps you've outlined are how I would do it. Smiley Happy  If it won't let you set up auto-renewal for a different sized feature package than what you've just purchased, you could manually purchase the smaller package the following month and then set the auto-renewal function back up at that point.

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 7 of 12 (4,671 Views)

Re: Smartphone data plan rollover?

So the Max balance that we can add on the phone is 1.5gb? I was wondering about this. I wasn't sure if it was still 300mb  I don't use data that often so I was wondering how high I could reach.

Message 8 of 12 (4,662 Views)
Master

Re: Smartphone data plan rollover?

 


coolchick200583 wrote:

So the Max balance that we can add on the phone is 1.5gb? I was wondering about this. I wasn't sure if it was still 300mb  I don't use data that often so I was wondering how high I could reach.


That's what it sounds like - and that seems to make sense since it's consistent with the old limit of 300 MB - it's still three month's worth of the largest allotment. Smiley Happy

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 9 of 12 (4,648 Views)
Tutor

Re: Smartphone data plan rollover?


MaxBurn wrote:

I see what you mean about the account management help mentioning 1.5gig max and I don't see much else either other than the gophone plan page just mentioning the generic "Rollover Balance® lets you carry over unused balance if refilled before balance expires."

 

I was under the impression it would expire, this is a nice plus. 

 

I may hit the cap eventually, I wonder if I can change down to the 100mb plan and keep the data I had built up? I can't think of why not.


The unused data balance from a 500mb feature package I purchased a little over 2 months ago recently disappeared from my account, even though I auto-renew 10mb feature packages monthly.  Customer service explained that the data balance rolls over from at most the last three feature packages purchased.  So unused data cannot be rolled over more than twice.

Message 10 of 12 (3,724 Views)
Scholar

Re: Smartphone data plan rollover?

That shouldn't be the case. There's no verbiage in the GoPhone terms of service mentioning a time limit to the rollover balance (there is for rollover minutes on postpaid). For what it's worth, I think the auto-renewal system just messed up again and the CSR just made something up to explain the loss of data. My dad's text package expires today and is supposed to renew tomorrow and he had 600+ messages that just disappeared from his account.
Message 11 of 12 (2,809 Views)
Tutor

Re: Smartphone data plan rollover?


hnzw_rui wrote:
That shouldn't be the case. There's no verbiage in the GoPhone terms of service mentioning a time limit to the rollover balance (there is for rollover minutes on postpaid). For what it's worth, I think the auto-renewal system just messed up again and the CSR just made something up to explain the loss of data. My dad's text package expires today and is supposed to renew tomorrow and he had 600+ messages that just disappeared from his account.

I called a second time, explained what happened, and the CSR apologized for the inconvenience and credited my account $25 for the 500MB that "should have" rolled over when auto-renewed.

Message 12 of 12 (2,801 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.