Smartphone (HTC Imagio Unlocked) With Prepaid ?

Tutor

Smartphone (HTC Imagio Unlocked) With Prepaid ?

I'm thinking about getting the HTC imagio smartphone and buy the prepaid sim card off eBay or something lol and I wanted to know if I could use it for only texting like the Unlimited Messaging For 19.99/Month ? without data plans , and could o get minutes for calling on it too ?
Message 1 of 34 (2,776 Views)
Professor

Re: Smartphone (HTC Imagio Unlocked) With Prepaid ?

[ Edited ]

Jeremy_Legend wrote:
check out the new goPhone rquirements. they do require a minimum data pack with an goPhone as well. recently changed

Where did you find it? URL please. Perhaps I am missing something Jeremy? Please share your findings.

Okay. I did my homework. Here's what I found from this URL:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/wireless-legal-gophone.jsp

The following is an excerpt from: " > GoPhone Plan Terms > > GoPhone®: Pay As You Go", with the main points highlighted in blue color:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smartphone Requirements: A smartphone device requires an eligible Talk, or Talk and Text plan. If it is determined that you are using a smartphone without an eligible Talk or Talk and Text plan, AT&T reserves the right to switch you to a comparable plan, and deduct the appropriate fees from your account balance. If a comparable Talk or Talk and Text plan is not available, you will be switched to the 10¢/Minute Plan. If your account balance is insufficient to pay the plan charge, you will be unable to use any services until you refill your account with the applicable amount. If you want to use data services on your smartphone, a Data Feature Package is required. Pay-per-use data services are not available for smartphones.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before AT&T offered GoPhone smartphone, data services are deducted from prepaid dollars on pay-per-use basis. With AT&T's first smartphone offering, namely the LG Thrive GoPhone, and if you want data services on your smartphone, you pay for a Data Feature Package because pay-per-use data services are not available for smartphones.

Any thoughts from anyone else welcome. Let me know where I misinterpret.

Message 16 of 34 (2,131 Views)
Master

That's right. A data plan for a prepaid smartphone is by no means a service requirement, but it you WANT to use data, you'll need a data package. This is because PPU data cannot be used by a smartphone because they hog so much more data than a regular feature phone. Once again, a data plan is NOT a requirement. I don't know of any other way to further institute this.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 17 of 34 (2,118 Views)
Tutor

thank you . I'm gonna buy it and I'll probably get it by next week . hopefully everythig goes well .
Message 18 of 34 (2,113 Views)
Tutor

thank you , yeaa i don't think they would force me to one since it would be prepaid .
Message 19 of 34 (2,111 Views)
Master

You're welcome. It should all work out great for you. If you have anymore questions about activating the phone/setting it up and whatnot, don't hesitate to ask and feel free to come back if you need to.

Good luck. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 34 (2,109 Views)
Employee

No need to buy a sim on ebay. If you go into store, they will giv you one when u first set up acct.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 21 of 34 (2,224 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]
"thank you . I'm gonna buy it and I'll probably get it by next week . hopefully everythig goes well ."

You're welcomeSmiley Happy Hope it goes well.

(There are 2 thank you posts )

Message 22 of 34 (2,220 Views)
Tutor

ooh and do my minutes i dont use go too next months or does it expire after 90 days ?

Message 23 of 34 (2,203 Views)
Master

ThatKiddo wrote:

ooh and do my minutes i dont use go too next months or does it expire after 90 days ?

As long as you refill your account every month, the minutes/money will roll over to next month. And yes, they will expire after 90 days with no use.

Message 24 of 34 (2,194 Views)
Tutor

when I'm activating which rate plan should I get ?
Message 25 of 34 (2,176 Views)
Master

Well, it depends on if you plan to use your phone for calling a lot. If you do intend to be talking on the phone for a while, I would recommend the $2 Daily Unlimited Talk & Text plan. That would probably be your best value for talking "24/7." If you don't use your phone for calling that much, (like I do) I would definitely choose the $0.10 a minute plan. It's fairly cheap - 10 voice minutes for $1.00.

It all depends on how much you think you'll be talking on your phone. Then you can base your rate plan from there. Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 34 (2,168 Views)
Tutor

alright , so I activated my sim card and stuck it in the phone I bought a refill card and when I try to call 611 it says verizon wireless and all this ? what should I do
Message 27 of 34 (2,165 Views)
Master

Uh-oh. Are you sure that the phone was unlocked from Verizon to work with AT&T?

Message 28 of 34 (2,163 Views)
Master

I was wondering if that would come up. Global phones from Verizon generally can be unlocked to use SIM cards from overseas, but still locked out from being used with USA GSM networks.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 29 of 34 (2,160 Views)
Tutor

yeaa it was lol but I got it I had to change it in the settings lol thanks . it's working ;D
Message 30 of 34 (2,153 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.