Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 12, 2011
10:57:38 PM
Smartphone (HTC Imagio Unlocked) With Prepaid ?
I'm thinking about getting the HTC imagio smartphone and buy the prepaid sim card off eBay or something lol and I wanted to know if I could use it for only texting like the Unlimited Messaging For 19.99/Month ? without data plans , and could o get minutes for calling on it too ?
I'm thinking about getting the HTC imagio smartphone and buy the prepaid sim card off eBay or something lol and I wanted to know if I could use it for only texting like the Unlimited Messaging For 19.99/Month ? without data plans , and could o get minutes for calling on it too ?

Smartphone (HTC Imagio Unlocked) With Prepaid ?

33 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(33)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 10:32:44 AM
(0)
Scholar
no. you need data for it. technically anyway. you should be able to get away with it, for a while at least. but just remember that at any time, when att finds out, they can and will force you onto a data package
no. you need data for it. technically anyway. you should be able to get away with it, for a while at least. but just remember that at any time, when att finds out, they can and will force you onto a data package

Re: Smartphone (HTC Imagio Unlocked) With Prepaid ?

2 of 34 (2,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 12:58:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

so eventually they will findout even if i have a goPhone sim card ?

so eventually they will findout even if i have a goPhone sim card ?

3 of 34 (2,289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 1:00:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

and even if the phone is unlocked and everything ?

and even if the phone is unlocked and everything ?

4 of 34 (2,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 1:24:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

and how longg is a while ? likes weeks , month , ?

and how longg is a while ? likes weeks , month , ?

5 of 34 (2,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 3:28:08 PM
(0)
Professor

Jeremy_Legend wrote:

Take a look at the page for LG Thrive GoPhone. It does not specify a data package requirement.

Now take a look at the page for LG Phoenix on postpaid contract. Below the picture of the phone, it states,

"Requires a minimum data service starting at $15/month. 2 year contract & new activation required."

There's clearly a difference between the two.

Are you talking from experience? Please elaborate. Thank you very much in advance.

Jeremy_Legend wrote:

Take a look at the page for LG Thrive GoPhone. It does not specify a data package requirement.

Now take a look at the page for LG Phoenix on postpaid contract. Below the picture of the phone, it states,

"Requires a minimum data service starting at $15/month. 2 year contract & new activation required."

There's clearly a difference between the two.

Are you talking from experience? Please elaborate. Thank you very much in advance.

6 of 34 (2,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 6:22:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Jeremy_Legend wrote:
This applies for postpaid service plans only. On a prepaid GoPhone plan, a data plan is NOT a requirement for smartphones. You can use a smartphone and not need a data plan unless desired.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Jeremy_Legend wrote:
This applies for postpaid service plans only. On a prepaid GoPhone plan, a data plan is NOT a requirement for smartphones. You can use a smartphone and not need a data plan unless desired.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 34 (2,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 6:30:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

ThatKiddo wrote:
Yep, you can use your phone for unlimited messaging only. That's pretty much what I use my prepaid smartphone for. Smiley Wink And no, you DO NOT need a data plan to use your Imagio on prepaid - only on a postpaid plan would the data plan apply. You can get voice minutes for calling, too. What I do is buy a $25 prepaid refill card every month, load it to my account, deduct $19.99 for unlimited messaging and have $5.01 left over for calling minutes. That's 50 minutes for calling if you'd like every month if you sign up with the $0.10 cents a minute Simple Plan. I personally think it's a great value for only $25 a month.

ThatKiddo wrote:
Yep, you can use your phone for unlimited messaging only. That's pretty much what I use my prepaid smartphone for. Smiley Wink And no, you DO NOT need a data plan to use your Imagio on prepaid - only on a postpaid plan would the data plan apply. You can get voice minutes for calling, too. What I do is buy a $25 prepaid refill card every month, load it to my account, deduct $19.99 for unlimited messaging and have $5.01 left over for calling minutes. That's 50 minutes for calling if you'd like every month if you sign up with the $0.10 cents a minute Simple Plan. I personally think it's a great value for only $25 a month.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 34 (2,266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 6:37:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Before replying to my last post, I was wondering if the HTC Imagio was a Verizon phone or not: turns out, I was right. I was going to say that Verizon phones cannot operate on AT&T even if they are unlocked because of the different network technologies that that two carriers use. (Verizon uses CDMA, AT&T is GSM.)

I looked on the HTC site for the Imagio and found out that it looks like the phone DOES support GSM and can operate on AT&T as a quad band phone if it were unlocked. So, it looks like you're good to go after all.

Digital Dual (CDMA,PCS) /1X, EVDO /Rev.A
GSM Quad Band (GSM/GPRS/EDGE)
WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA

Before replying to my last post, I was wondering if the HTC Imagio was a Verizon phone or not: turns out, I was right. I was going to say that Verizon phones cannot operate on AT&T even if they are unlocked because of the different network technologies that that two carriers use. (Verizon uses CDMA, AT&T is GSM.)

I looked on the HTC site for the Imagio and found out that it looks like the phone DOES support GSM and can operate on AT&T as a quad band phone if it were unlocked. So, it looks like you're good to go after all.

Digital Dual (CDMA,PCS) /1X, EVDO /Rev.A
GSM Quad Band (GSM/GPRS/EDGE)
WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA

9 of 34 (2,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 10:32:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
so I need the gophone prepaid sim card right ? aha thank you it's cause I don't want to pay alot of money to get the phone and then they trying to force me on a data plan ha ohh and how do you do that like how do you deduct it ? how do I activate it too ? if you can help please ?
so I need the gophone prepaid sim card right ? aha thank you it's cause I don't want to pay alot of money to get the phone and then they trying to force me on a data plan ha ohh and how do you do that like how do you deduct it ? how do I activate it too ? if you can help please ?

10 of 34 (2,257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 11:07:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Yup, you'll need a prepaid SIM card. I get mine from eBay for as little as $3.77.

I'm a little confused on the "deducting" part of your post... Are you talking about money being deducted from your new account once you get it set up?

You can activate your SIM card here: https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/ It will lead you on to the rest of what you need to do to activate the card. When finished, you will receive a phone number that fits your area code.

Yup, you'll need a prepaid SIM card. I get mine from eBay for as little as $3.77.

I'm a little confused on the "deducting" part of your post... Are you talking about money being deducted from your new account once you get it set up?

You can activate your SIM card here: https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/ It will lead you on to the rest of what you need to do to activate the card. When finished, you will receive a phone number that fits your area code.

11 of 34 (1,759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 11:22:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
alright its one that says GoPhone Prepaid Sim Card 3G will it work ? sorry for all the questions it's cause I finally found someone that knows the answers lol ok and to put the money on the phone I dail 611 right ,?
alright its one that says GoPhone Prepaid Sim Card 3G will it work ? sorry for all the questions it's cause I finally found someone that knows the answers lol ok and to put the money on the phone I dail 611 right ,?

12 of 34 (1,756 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 4:10:09 AM
(0)
Scholar
check out the new goPhone rquirements. they do require a minimum data pack with an goPhone as well. recently changed
check out the new goPhone rquirements. they do require a minimum data pack with an goPhone as well. recently changed

13 of 34 (1,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 7:38:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

ThatKiddo wrote:
Yep, a GoPhone prepaid 3G SIM is what you want. Although, you may not be able to get 3G speeds/service with an unlocked phone unless it supports the correct frequencies. I don't remember if the Imagio unlocked has the 800/1900 bands I think it is that can support 3G. So you should at least expect EDGE speeds. And yes, to add money to your account, dial 611 and select "Add Money".

ThatKiddo wrote:
Yep, a GoPhone prepaid 3G SIM is what you want. Although, you may not be able to get 3G speeds/service with an unlocked phone unless it supports the correct frequencies. I don't remember if the Imagio unlocked has the 800/1900 bands I think it is that can support 3G. So you should at least expect EDGE speeds. And yes, to add money to your account, dial 611 and select "Add Money".

14 of 34 (1,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 7:42:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Jeremy_Legend wrote:
I thought that was for the LG Thrive Android prepaid smartphone only? I'm using an Android smartphone without a data plan, unless I acted quick enough to avoid the "requirement". Still, I'm pretty set straight that prepaid smartphones do not require a data plan unless the customer would like one as an option.

Jeremy_Legend wrote:
I thought that was for the LG Thrive Android prepaid smartphone only? I'm using an Android smartphone without a data plan, unless I acted quick enough to avoid the "requirement". Still, I'm pretty set straight that prepaid smartphones do not require a data plan unless the customer would like one as an option.

15 of 34 (1,745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 9:21:40 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:57:47 AM

Jeremy_Legend wrote:

Where did you find it? URL please. Perhaps I am missing something Jeremy? Please share your findings.

Okay. I did my homework. Here's what I found from this URL:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/wireless-legal-gophone.jsp

The following is an excerpt from: " > GoPhone Plan Terms > > GoPhone®: Pay As You Go", with the main points highlighted in blue color:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smartphone Requirements: A smartphone device requires an eligible Talk, or Talk and Text plan. If it is determined that you are using a smartphone without an eligible Talk or Talk and Text plan, AT&T reserves the right to switch you to a comparable plan, and deduct the appropriate fees from your account balance. If a comparable Talk or Talk and Text plan is not available, you will be switched to the 10¢/Minute Plan. If your account balance is insufficient to pay the plan charge, you will be unable to use any services until you refill your account with the applicable amount. If you want to use data services on your smartphone, a Data Feature Package is required. Pay-per-use data services are not available for smartphones.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before AT&T offered GoPhone smartphone, data services are deducted from prepaid dollars on pay-per-use basis. With AT&T's first smartphone offering, namely the LG Thrive GoPhone, and if you want data services on your smartphone, you pay for a Data Feature Package because pay-per-use data services are not available for smartphones.

Any thoughts from anyone else welcome. Let me know where I misinterpret.

Jeremy_Legend wrote:

Where did you find it? URL please. Perhaps I am missing something Jeremy? Please share your findings.

Okay. I did my homework. Here's what I found from this URL:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/wireless-legal-gophone.jsp

The following is an excerpt from: " > GoPhone Plan Terms > > GoPhone®: Pay As You Go", with the main points highlighted in blue color:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smartphone Requirements: A smartphone device requires an eligible Talk, or Talk and Text plan. If it is determined that you are using a smartphone without an eligible Talk or Talk and Text plan, AT&T reserves the right to switch you to a comparable plan, and deduct the appropriate fees from your account balance. If a comparable Talk or Talk and Text plan is not available, you will be switched to the 10¢/Minute Plan. If your account balance is insufficient to pay the plan charge, you will be unable to use any services until you refill your account with the applicable amount. If you want to use data services on your smartphone, a Data Feature Package is required. Pay-per-use data services are not available for smartphones.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before AT&T offered GoPhone smartphone, data services are deducted from prepaid dollars on pay-per-use basis. With AT&T's first smartphone offering, namely the LG Thrive GoPhone, and if you want data services on your smartphone, you pay for a Data Feature Package because pay-per-use data services are not available for smartphones.

Any thoughts from anyone else welcome. Let me know where I misinterpret.

[ Edited ]
16 of 34 (1,739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 11:29:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's right. A data plan for a prepaid smartphone is by no means a service requirement, but it you WANT to use data, you'll need a data package. This is because PPU data cannot be used by a smartphone because they hog so much more data than a regular feature phone. Once again, a data plan is NOT a requirement. I don't know of any other way to further institute this.

That's right. A data plan for a prepaid smartphone is by no means a service requirement, but it you WANT to use data, you'll need a data package. This is because PPU data cannot be used by a smartphone because they hog so much more data than a regular feature phone. Once again, a data plan is NOT a requirement. I don't know of any other way to further institute this.

17 of 34 (1,726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 12:09:18 PM
(0)
Tutor
thank you . I'm gonna buy it and I'll probably get it by next week . hopefully everythig goes well .
thank you . I'm gonna buy it and I'll probably get it by next week . hopefully everythig goes well .

18 of 34 (1,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 12:10:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
thank you , yeaa i don't think they would force me to one since it would be prepaid .
thank you , yeaa i don't think they would force me to one since it would be prepaid .

19 of 34 (1,719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 12:47:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
You're welcome. It should all work out great for you. If you have anymore questions about activating the phone/setting it up and whatnot, don't hesitate to ask and feel free to come back if you need to.

Good luck. Smiley Happy

You're welcome. It should all work out great for you. If you have anymore questions about activating the phone/setting it up and whatnot, don't hesitate to ask and feel free to come back if you need to.

Good luck. Smiley Happy

20 of 34 (1,717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 2:09:18 PM
(0)
Employee
No need to buy a sim on ebay. If you go into store, they will giv you one when u first set up acct.
No need to buy a sim on ebay. If you go into store, they will giv you one when u first set up acct.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

21 of 34 (1,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 2:29:39 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Jul 14, 2011 at 2:35:26 PM
"thank you . I'm gonna buy it and I'll probably get it by next week . hopefully everythig goes well ."

You're welcomeSmiley Happy Hope it goes well.

(There are 2 thank you posts )

"thank you . I'm gonna buy it and I'll probably get it by next week . hopefully everythig goes well ."

You're welcomeSmiley Happy Hope it goes well.

(There are 2 thank you posts )

[ Edited ]
22 of 34 (1,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2011 4:49:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

ooh and do my minutes i dont use go too next months or does it expire after 90 days ?

ooh and do my minutes i dont use go too next months or does it expire after 90 days ?

23 of 34 (1,811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2011 9:45:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

ThatKiddo wrote:

As long as you refill your account every month, the minutes/money will roll over to next month. And yes, they will expire after 90 days with no use.

ThatKiddo wrote:

As long as you refill your account every month, the minutes/money will roll over to next month. And yes, they will expire after 90 days with no use.

24 of 34 (1,802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 1:04:26 PM
(0)
Tutor
when I'm activating which rate plan should I get ?
when I'm activating which rate plan should I get ?

25 of 34 (1,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 4:19:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Well, it depends on if you plan to use your phone for calling a lot. If you do intend to be talking on the phone for a while, I would recommend the $2 Daily Unlimited Talk & Text plan. That would probably be your best value for talking "24/7." If you don't use your phone for calling that much, (like I do) I would definitely choose the $0.10 a minute plan. It's fairly cheap - 10 voice minutes for $1.00.

It all depends on how much you think you'll be talking on your phone. Then you can base your rate plan from there. Smiley Happy

Well, it depends on if you plan to use your phone for calling a lot. If you do intend to be talking on the phone for a while, I would recommend the $2 Daily Unlimited Talk & Text plan. That would probably be your best value for talking "24/7." If you don't use your phone for calling that much, (like I do) I would definitely choose the $0.10 a minute plan. It's fairly cheap - 10 voice minutes for $1.00.

It all depends on how much you think you'll be talking on your phone. Then you can base your rate plan from there. Smiley Happy

26 of 34 (1,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 4:33:15 PM
(0)
Tutor
alright , so I activated my sim card and stuck it in the phone I bought a refill card and when I try to call 611 it says verizon wireless and all this ? what should I do
alright , so I activated my sim card and stuck it in the phone I bought a refill card and when I try to call 611 it says verizon wireless and all this ? what should I do

27 of 34 (1,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 4:45:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Uh-oh. Are you sure that the phone was unlocked from Verizon to work with AT&T?

Uh-oh. Are you sure that the phone was unlocked from Verizon to work with AT&T?

28 of 34 (1,771 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 5:35:35 PM
(0)
Master
I was wondering if that would come up. Global phones from Verizon generally can be unlocked to use SIM cards from overseas, but still locked out from being used with USA GSM networks.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
I was wondering if that would come up. Global phones from Verizon generally can be unlocked to use SIM cards from overseas, but still locked out from being used with USA GSM networks.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

29 of 34 (1,768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 9:04:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
yeaa it was lol but I got it I had to change it in the settings lol thanks . it's working ;D
yeaa it was lol but I got it I had to change it in the settings lol thanks . it's working ;D

30 of 34 (1,761 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments