Helpful Links

Smartphone (HTC Imagio Unlocked) With Prepaid ?

Tutor

Smartphone (HTC Imagio Unlocked) With Prepaid ?

I'm thinking about getting the HTC imagio smartphone and buy the prepaid sim card off eBay or something lol and I wanted to know if I could use it for only texting like the Unlimited Messaging For 19.99/Month ? without data plans , and could o get minutes for calling on it too ?
Message 1 of 34

Re: Smartphone (HTC Imagio Unlocked) With Prepaid ?

no. you need data for it. technically anyway. you should be able to get away with it, for a while at least. but just remember that at any time, when att finds out, they can and will force you onto a data package
Message 2 of 34
Tutor

so eventually they will findout even if i have a goPhone sim card ?

Message 3 of 34
Tutor

and even if the phone is unlocked and everything ?

Message 4 of 34
Tutor

and how longg is a while ? likes weeks , month , ?

Message 5 of 34
Professor

Jeremy_Legend wrote:
no. you need data for it. technically anyway. you should be able to get away with it, for a while at least. but just remember that at any time, when att finds out, they can and will force you onto a data package

Take a look at the page for LG Thrive GoPhone. It does not specify a data package requirement.

Now take a look at the page for LG Phoenix on postpaid contract. Below the picture of the phone, it states,

"Requires a minimum data service starting at $15/month. 2 year contract & new activation required."

There's clearly a difference between the two.

Are you talking from experience? Please elaborate. Thank you very much in advance.
Message 6 of 34
Master

Jeremy_Legend wrote:
This applies for postpaid service plans only. On a prepaid GoPhone plan, a data plan is NOT a requirement for smartphones. You can use a smartphone and not need a data plan unless desired.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 7 of 34
Master

ThatKiddo wrote:
I'm thinking about getting the HTC imagio smartphone and buy the prepaid sim card off eBay or something lol and I wanted to know if I could use it for only texting like the Unlimited Messaging For 19.99/Month ? without data plans , and could o get minutes for calling on it too ?
Yep, you can use your phone for unlimited messaging only. That's pretty much what I use my prepaid smartphone for. Smiley Wink And no, you DO NOT need a data plan to use your Imagio on prepaid - only on a postpaid plan would the data plan apply. You can get voice minutes for calling, too. What I do is buy a $25 prepaid refill card every month, load it to my account, deduct $19.99 for unlimited messaging and have $5.01 left over for calling minutes. That's 50 minutes for calling if you'd like every month if you sign up with the $0.10 cents a minute Simple Plan. I personally think it's a great value for only $25 a month.

Message 8 of 34
Master

Before replying to my last post, I was wondering if the HTC Imagio was a Verizon phone or not: turns out, I was right. I was going to say that Verizon phones cannot operate on AT&T even if they are unlocked because of the different network technologies that that two carriers use. (Verizon uses CDMA, AT&T is GSM.)

I looked on the HTC site for the Imagio and found out that it looks like the phone DOES support GSM and can operate on AT&T as a quad band phone if it were unlocked. So, it looks like you're good to go after all.

Digital Dual (CDMA,PCS) /1X, EVDO /Rev.A
GSM Quad Band (GSM/GPRS/EDGE)
WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA

Message 9 of 34
Tutor

so I need the gophone prepaid sim card right ? aha thank you it's cause I don't want to pay alot of money to get the phone and then they trying to force me on a data plan ha ohh and how do you do that like how do you deduct it ? how do I activate it too ? if you can help please ?
Message 10 of 34
Master

Yup, you'll need a prepaid SIM card. I get mine from eBay for as little as $3.77.

I'm a little confused on the "deducting" part of your post... Are you talking about money being deducted from your new account once you get it set up?

You can activate your SIM card here: https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/ It will lead you on to the rest of what you need to do to activate the card. When finished, you will receive a phone number that fits your area code.

Message 11 of 34
Tutor

alright its one that says GoPhone Prepaid Sim Card 3G will it work ? sorry for all the questions it's cause I finally found someone that knows the answers lol ok and to put the money on the phone I dail 611 right ,?
Message 12 of 34

check out the new goPhone rquirements. they do require a minimum data pack with an goPhone as well. recently changed
Message 13 of 34
Master

ThatKiddo wrote:
alright its one that says GoPhone Prepaid Sim Card 3G will it work ? sorry for all the questions it's cause I finally found someone that knows the answers lol ok and to put the money on the phone I dail 611 right ,?
Yep, a GoPhone prepaid 3G SIM is what you want. Although, you may not be able to get 3G speeds/service with an unlocked phone unless it supports the correct frequencies. I don't remember if the Imagio unlocked has the 800/1900 bands I think it is that can support 3G. So you should at least expect EDGE speeds. And yes, to add money to your account, dial 611 and select "Add Money".

Message 14 of 34
Master

Jeremy_Legend wrote:
check out the new goPhone rquirements. they do require a minimum data pack with an goPhone as well. recently changed
I thought that was for the LG Thrive Android prepaid smartphone only? I'm using an Android smartphone without a data plan, unless I acted quick enough to avoid the "requirement". Still, I'm pretty set straight that prepaid smartphones do not require a data plan unless the customer would like one as an option.

Message 15 of 34
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support