Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 2, 2011
10:56:21 AM
View profile
Smart phone touchscreen with acrylic fingernails

I am currently using the Samsung Impression and want to upgrade to a smartphone. I have acrylic fingrnails and my fingertips will not be able to touch the screen.  Are there any smart phones that will allow me to use the touchscreen with my fingernails instead of my actual fingertip?  Please help with any suggestions or experiences you have had.

I am currently using the Samsung Impression and want to upgrade to a smartphone. I have acrylic fingrnails and my fingertips will not be able to touch the screen.  Are there any smart phones that will allow me to use the touchscreen with my fingernails instead of my actual fingertip?  Please help with any suggestions or experiences you have had.

Smart phone touchscreen with acrylic fingernails

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 1:18:17 PM
(0)
Master

consider a stylus...

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=touchscreen+stylus&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=touchscre...

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Smart phone touchscreen with acrylic fingernails

2 of 13 (5,113 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 1:28:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
A stylus is a good idea, but for text messaging, it may be difficult to type each single letter using a stylus. This would be difficult and somewhat frustrating unless you plan on upgrading to a smartphone that uses Swype or plan on using some other third party application for a keyboard. (SwiftKey, etc.)

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

A stylus is a good idea, but for text messaging, it may be difficult to type each single letter using a stylus. This would be difficult and somewhat frustrating unless you plan on upgrading to a smartphone that uses Swype or plan on using some other third party application for a keyboard. (SwiftKey, etc.)

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 13 (5,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 1:33:05 PM
(0)
Tutor

I was thinking of the Samsung Infuse 4G because the help people said I could use that phone with my nails...I think they were referring to the swype feature.  I can swype with a fingernail?  Smiley Happy

I was thinking of the Samsung Infuse 4G because the help people said I could use that phone with my nails...I think they were referring to the swype feature.  I can swype with a fingernail?  Smiley Happy

4 of 13 (5,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 1:40:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ever658 wrote:

That's a good choice.

I have a Samsung Captivate, which is pretty similar to the Infuse. I just tried using the Swype keyboard on my phone and yes, you can use Swype with your nails. It is simpler to use it with your finger like with a traditional touchscreen keyboard, but at least it works. Smiley Tongue

Ever658 wrote:

That's a good choice.

I have a Samsung Captivate, which is pretty similar to the Infuse. I just tried using the Swype keyboard on my phone and yes, you can use Swype with your nails. It is simpler to use it with your finger like with a traditional touchscreen keyboard, but at least it works. Smiley Tongue

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 13 (5,103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 1:55:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

Can you use a stylus for other applications on phones like the Infuse ..for things other than swyping? I can figure out how to swype, just curious about using a stylus for other applications. I dont want to cut my nails just to use a phone and I can learn to adapt to new things, like swyping, using a stylus, etc... thanks for all your help Smiley Happy

Can you use a stylus for other applications on phones like the Infuse ..for things other than swyping? I can figure out how to swype, just curious about using a stylus for other applications. I dont want to cut my nails just to use a phone and I can learn to adapt to new things, like swyping, using a stylus, etc... thanks for all your help Smiley Happy

6 of 13 (5,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 3:39:18 PM
(0)
Master

Wild Banchi wrote:

Ever658 wrote:

That's a good choice.

No, you can't use a Samsung Infuse with just your fingernails.  It has a capacitive thoughscreen and not a resistive screen.  You need to touch the screen with your finger, either the pad or the side of the finger.  The phone reacts to the electrical current in our body.  The phone will also work with a capacitive stylus.  I believe Apple sell a capacitive stylus that will work for any other smart phone using a capacitive touch screen.  The iPhone touchscreen is a capacitive style.

You can use your fingernails with a resistive touchscreen because you actually push the screen to make it respond to your commands.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy

Wild Banchi wrote:

Ever658 wrote:

That's a good choice.

No, you can't use a Samsung Infuse with just your fingernails.  It has a capacitive thoughscreen and not a resistive screen.  You need to touch the screen with your finger, either the pad or the side of the finger.  The phone reacts to the electrical current in our body.  The phone will also work with a capacitive stylus.  I believe Apple sell a capacitive stylus that will work for any other smart phone using a capacitive touch screen.  The iPhone touchscreen is a capacitive style.

You can use your fingernails with a resistive touchscreen because you actually push the screen to make it respond to your commands.

Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

7 of 13 (5,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 5:36:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Ann154, do you mean to say that the Captivate does not have a capacitive touchscreen but rather a resistive? Swype works fine using just your fingernail on my phone. I always thought it had a capacitive one, the kind that responds to your finger/fingernail only.

Ann154, do you mean to say that the Captivate does not have a capacitive touchscreen but rather a resistive? Swype works fine using just your fingernail on my phone. I always thought it had a capacitive one, the kind that responds to your finger/fingernail only.

8 of 13 (5,090 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 5:41:58 PM
(0)
Master

Wild Banchi wrote:

The Captivate has a capacitive screen.  It responds to the touch of a finger, but not a fingernail.  Believe me, I have long enough nails on some of my fingers to know the nail only doesn't work.

Wild Banchi wrote:

The Captivate has a capacitive screen.  It responds to the touch of a finger, but not a fingernail.  Believe me, I have long enough nails on some of my fingers to know the nail only doesn't work.

9 of 13 (5,088 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 6:02:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

This is the problem I am having LOL.  Contradictory opinions and thoughts. Half say fingernails work, otheer half says no. I asked ATT shopping support 5 times, each time got a different answer.  Half said I have to use a non touch screen, not smart phone cuz none of them will register my nails.  Other half said swype will work. One told me that the Samsung Inspire will work (maybe not perfectly but with swype), the HTC Freestyle and the HTC Inspire..same.  I cannot find any dealer or seller with a live phone so I can try it.  LOL.  I just want a smart phone and my nails.  Geesh.  Smiley Happy    I did look into the idea of a stylus and wouldnt object to using one, except to text...I dont think I would like texting with a stylus. 

This is the problem I am having LOL.  Contradictory opinions and thoughts. Half say fingernails work, otheer half says no. I asked ATT shopping support 5 times, each time got a different answer.  Half said I have to use a non touch screen, not smart phone cuz none of them will register my nails.  Other half said swype will work. One told me that the Samsung Inspire will work (maybe not perfectly but with swype), the HTC Freestyle and the HTC Inspire..same.  I cannot find any dealer or seller with a live phone so I can try it.  LOL.  I just want a smart phone and my nails.  Geesh.  Smiley Happy    I did look into the idea of a stylus and wouldnt object to using one, except to text...I dont think I would like texting with a stylus. 

10 of 13 (5,085 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 6:08:57 PM
(0)
Master

Ever658 wrote:

All the corporate stores will have live phones for you to demo.  Even some Best Buys will have some live phones.  Do you have any friends or family with smartphones.  It doesn't even have to be ATT phones.  Any android phone will function similarly.  I can use the side of my finger whenever I use a finger with a longer nail if the nail gets in the way of me using the pad of the same finger.  

Ever658 wrote:

All the corporate stores will have live phones for you to demo.  Even some Best Buys will have some live phones.  Do you have any friends or family with smartphones.  It doesn't even have to be ATT phones.  Any android phone will function similarly.  I can use the side of my finger whenever I use a finger with a longer nail if the nail gets in the way of me using the pad of the same finger.  

11 of 13 (4,716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 6:23:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ann154 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Okay, I'll take your word for it. My fingernails are not very long at all, and I don't particularly let them get too long in the first place. Smiley Tongue

Ann154 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Okay, I'll take your word for it. My fingernails are not very long at all, and I don't particularly let them get too long in the first place. Smiley Tongue

12 of 13 (4,713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 4:56:27 AM
(0)
Contributor

I also have the Samsung impression and am looking for a resistive keyboard for Acrylic nails .... were you able to find one??

I also have the Samsung impression and am looking for a resistive keyboard for Acrylic nails .... were you able to find one??

13 of 13 (4,638 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments