Posted Apr 5, 2011
7:41:33 AM
Smart Limits for AT&T

Just found out that Smart Limits does not block inbound calls during restricted periods???  Really.  Way behind on technology. 

Smart Limits for AT&T

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2011 1:36:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

Time of day restrictions block inbound/outbound data (text/IM, MMS, and Kbs). It also blocks outbound voice calls, but does not restrict inbound calls - except numbers added to the Blocked Numbers list.

• Smart Limits for Wireless service does not allow blocking all incoming calls because AT&T wants emergency responders to have the capability to call a customer or their children back if their 911 call is disconnected or if additional information is required to provide the needed assistance. If Smart Limits for Wireless allowed blocking all incoming calls, and you or your child's 911 call was disconnected, the emergency responders would not be able to contact your child.  
  • Smart Limits for Wireless does allow blocking all outgoing calls (a customer can still place a 911 call when all outgoing calls are blocked). In addition, Smart Limits for Wireless allows customers to specify up to 15 phone numbers (blocked numbers) which cannot call or text your child, or vice versa.
  • I think technology is still in the progress phase...I did actually read in TIME magazine last night that even 911 call centers are trying to update their systems because they were more or less designed for landline usage but the new age, everyone has a cell phone now. And what was highlighted in red actually kind of goes along with that, because 911 tries to call back from a local number. If all inbound calls were to be blocked, 911 would have no way to call back if the line disconnects. Amazingly, in 2009, a few 911 call centers had tried to use video dialing from a cell phone on AT&It's network and was successful. Hopefully, everything may upgrade quickly so you will be able to put more restriction on a cell phone *shrugs* Who knows...Technology is a wonder.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Re: Smart Limits for AT&T

2 of 3 (1,199 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 6, 2011 3:01:04 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

• Smart Limits for Wireless service does not allow blocking all incoming calls because AT&T wants emergency responders to have the capability to call a customer or their children back if their 911 call is disconnected or if additional information is required to provide the needed assistance. If Smart Limits for Wireless allowed blocking all incoming calls, and you or your child's 911 call was disconnected, the emergency responders would not be able to contact your child.
  • THIS IS A COUP OUT.... Other carriers disable voice restrictions in the event of a caller dialing 911.  For a company who prouds themselves in being innovative and up to date on technology is proves that it's not true.  I hope the merger with T-Mobile is allowed since they are far more advanced than AT&T.  AT&T customers do need help in the technology dept.

Smart Limits for Wireless does allow blocking all outgoing calls (a customer can still place a 911 call when all outgoing calls are blocked). In addition, Smart Limits for Wireless allows customers to specify up to 15 phone numbers (blocked numbers) which cannot call or text your child, or vice versa.

This would be a pain in the rear end to do every day.  Especially when other carriers are CAPABLE of such technology.  They allow the parent to actually choose when the kids receive calls.  You a parent would not put their child in harms away.  We would not restrict incoming calls if that was the childs only form of communication.  We want to disallow incoming calls while a child is at school (not a problem in case of emergency) or at night (while the parents are sleeping in the other room with phones that have no restrictions). I think AT&T doesn't give parents enough credit.  Parents know what is best for their child.

Re: Smart Limits for AT&T

3 of 3 (1,170 Views)