Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 17, 2010
10:39:22 AM
View profile
Slow reponse out of my iphone 4

When opening folders, menus or emails the transition of the screen (like when opening the folder, it opens from the top and slides down) is slow, not a smooth transition.  Anyone else get this?  I am running 4.1.  Its like I am running too much in the background the processor cannot keep up.  

I did a restore and it seemed to fix it but now its doing the same thing.

When opening folders, menus or emails the transition of the screen (like when opening the folder, it opens from the top and slides down) is slow, not a smooth transition.  Anyone else get this?  I am running 4.1.  Its like I am running too much in the background the processor cannot keep up.  

Slow reponse out of my iphone 4

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 10:51:56 AM
(0)
Professor

If its a iPhone 4, you need to take it into Apple to have the genius look at it. If not, what version of iPhone is it?

If its a iPhone 4, you need to take it into Apple to have the genius look at it. If not, what version of iPhone is it?

Re: Slow reponse out of my iphone 4

2 of 17 (1,700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 11:48:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

he said (somewhat cryptically) it's an iPhone4...

The only way that's going to happen (the sluggishness) on a non-broken iP4 is if you are running something *really* intensive in the background. I've only ever seen it when running GPS Nav and needing to quickly use the phone for something else while keeping the nav going in the background...

Some silly questions - OS version? Jailbroken?

When it is slow, press the Home button (the only button there is) twice, fast. Now, look at the icons that are showing there at the bottom - those are your recent (and background) apps. The first 4, maybe 8 (you can swipe to the left to see more of them) are important because they are likely in memory/possibly running.

Post what they are here and we can take a look.

The only way that's going to happen (the sluggishness) on a non-broken iP4 is if you are running something *really* intensive in the background. I've only ever seen it when running GPS Nav and needing to quickly use the phone for something else while keeping the nav going in the background...

When it is slow, press the Home button (the only button there is) twice, fast. Now, look at the icons that are showing there at the bottom - those are your recent (and background) apps. The first 4, maybe 8 (you can swipe to the left to see more of them) are important because they are likely in memory/possibly running.

Post what they are here and we can take a look.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 17 (1,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 12:06:03 PM
(0)
Teacher
It's an iPhone 4 running software version 4.1. The problem only occurs when opening a folder, a new screen, opening a new email message. It's very odd. And no it's not jailbroken. As far as what's running in the background, incould have zero or 100 apps running makes no difference. Keep in mind this slowness only happens during the opening.
It's an iPhone 4 running software version 4.1. The problem only occurs when opening a folder, a new screen, opening a new email message. It's very odd. And no it's not jailbroken. As far as what's running in the background, incould have zero or 100 apps running makes no difference. Keep in mind this slowness only happens during the opening.

4 of 17 (1,652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 12:14:14 PM
(0)
Teacher

I should add...if I open an app, its OK.  Its more of an annoyance than anything.  When I had my first iphone 4, I dont recall having it.  Again it could have been there...not sure.  My wife has the same phone, it does the same thing.

I should add...if I open an app, its OK.  Its more of an annoyance than anything.  When I had my first iphone 4, I dont recall having it.  Again it could have been there...not sure.  My wife has the same phone, it does the same thing.

5 of 17 (1,640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 12:58:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

jmtertz wrote:

Well, I have three and none of them do it, so I'm not at all sure what you are seeing. Take it in to apple and show them, since you're not going to tell me what's running in the background, I have no way of helping you.

Just to verify - if you power off the phone (hold power until slide to power off shows, then slide) and then boot phone (long press on power button) and then FIRST thing try to do whatever you think is slow... is it still slow? If not, it's some background app. If it is, then either you think it should be faster then it is, or it's broken somehow.

It could be something borked in your settings - you can Do Settings->General->Reset->Reset All Settings. That doesn't cause any data loss, but will require you to re-establish all the settings.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1737

jmtertz wrote:

Well, I have three and none of them do it, so I'm not at all sure what you are seeing. Take it in to apple and show them, since you're not going to tell me what's running in the background, I have no way of helping you.

Just to verify - if you power off the phone (hold power until slide to power off shows, then slide) and then boot phone (long press on power button) and then FIRST thing try to do whatever you think is slow... is it still slow? If not, it's some background app. If it is, then either you think it should be faster then it is, or it's broken somehow.

It could be something borked in your settings - you can Do Settings->General->Reset->Reset All Settings. That doesn't cause any data loss, but will require you to re-establish all the settings.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1737

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 17 (1,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 8:20:30 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by jmtertz on Sep 17, 2010 at 8:58:31 PM
X
X

[ Edited ]
7 of 17 (1,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 1:40:28 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by benjitek on Sep 18, 2010 at 1:52:05 AM

I've noticed the same thing.  I've had 3 iPhone-4's so far, and they've all done it.  The device works fine, the screens look great -- but the folder-opening animation isn't smooth, and there's a slight pause after you tap before the folder opens.  Oddly enough, if I set it next to my 3GS and tap a folder on both at the same time, the 3GS folder opens faster, and more smoothly, than the iPhone-4.

It's consistent, happens every time -- has nothing to do with background apps as it's just as 'jerky' after a reboot as when things have been running and closed.  Haven't really given it much thought though, and you're the first I've seen mention it.  Mine's not jailbroken, and it's happened on all the OS versions, up through 4.1.  What makes it even more noticeable is moving left/right through the different home-screens is smooth-as-silk, but then you tap a folder and it seems to stutter a bit.

jmtertz wrote:

I've noticed the same thing.  I've had 3 iPhone-4's so far, and they've all done it.  The device works fine, the screens look great -- but the folder-opening animation isn't smooth, and there's a slight pause after you tap before the folder opens.  Oddly enough, if I set it next to my 3GS and tap a folder on both at the same time, the 3GS folder opens faster, and more smoothly, than the iPhone-4.

It's consistent, happens every time -- has nothing to do with background apps as it's just as 'jerky' after a reboot as when things have been running and closed.  Haven't really given it much thought though, and you're the first I've seen mention it.  Mine's not jailbroken, and it's happened on all the OS versions, up through 4.1.  What makes it even more noticeable is moving left/right through the different home-screens is smooth-as-silk, but then you tap a folder and it seems to stutter a bit.

jmtertz wrote:

[ Edited ]
8 of 17 (1,554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 6:06:54 AM
(0)
Teacher
Yup. That's what I'm seeing too. I'm going to ask apple about it.

9 of 17 (1,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 6:33:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

weird. My wife is the folder Queen. Every screen is nothing but folders, and ever folder is full. No studder. I only have a handful of folders on three screens. No studder.

What's your background image? Is it a photo, or wallpaper?

weird. My wife is the folder Queen. Every screen is nothing but folders, and ever folder is full. No studder. I only have a handful of folders on three screens. No studder.

10 of 17 (1,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 9:10:13 AM
(0)
Scholar

Nothing to debate really, just an observation -- thanks for stopping by though Smiley Wink

johninsj wrote:

Nothing to debate really, just an observation -- thanks for stopping by though Smiley Wink

johninsj wrote:

11 of 17 (793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 9:28:20 AM
(0)
Guru

johninsj wrote:

OP did state (somewhat uncryptically) in his initial post that his phone is running 4.1 so yes, your question about what OS version OP is running could be considered silly... Smiley Wink

Also--had you caught that OP did indeed state that he was running 4.1, you would have then known the answer to your second silly question--not unless you know something about 4.1 and jailbreaks that many of us less knowledgeable folks don't (yet) know about. Smiley Wink

johninsj wrote:

OP did state (somewhat uncryptically) in his initial post that his phone is running 4.1 so yes, your question about what OS version OP is running could be considered silly... Smiley Wink

Also--had you caught that OP did indeed state that he was running 4.1, you would have then known the answer to your second silly question--not unless you know something about 4.1 and jailbreaks that many of us less knowledgeable folks don't (yet) know about. Smiley Wink

12 of 17 (752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 6:54:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

jmtertz wrote:

Not sure why you're up for that, you get some blank stares and maybe some theories, but nothing will change.  It's just something in the way they've set up the animation sequence for folder-opening.  It is what it is, there's nothing wrong with your iPhone-4's hardware and someday after an update it'll most likely improve -- I doubt it's at the top of anyone's priority list Smiley Wink

jmtertz wrote:

Not sure why you're up for that, you get some blank stares and maybe some theories, but nothing will change.  It's just something in the way they've set up the animation sequence for folder-opening.  It is what it is, there's nothing wrong with your iPhone-4's hardware and someday after an update it'll most likely improve -- I doubt it's at the top of anyone's priority list Smiley Wink

13 of 17 (728 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 8:28:04 PM
(0)
Teacher
Benjitek. It's not that I expect them to give me a new phone, I'd just like to see what they think since not all phone do this. We shall see. Thanks everyone for the input.
Benjitek. It's not that I expect them to give me a new phone, I'd just like to see what they think since not all phone do this. We shall see. Thanks everyone for the input.

14 of 17 (715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 8:41:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

Have fun Smiley Wink

Have fun Smiley Wink

15 of 17 (711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 6:51:38 AM
(0)
Professor

The average folder opening speed is within 3 seconds. I haven't noticed a slow opening before, but it can vary depending on how many applications are running in the multitasker. It could also be an iOS installation issue. You can try restoring your iPhone as a backup or restore as a new iPhone and see if the issue resolves.

The average folder opening speed is within 3 seconds. I haven't noticed a slow opening before, but it can vary depending on how many applications are running in the multitasker. It could also be an iOS installation issue. You can try restoring your iPhone as a backup or restore as a new iPhone and see if the issue resolves.

16 of 17 (679 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 8:37:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

If your folders are taking 3 seconds to open, time for the Genius Bar...

If your folders are taking 3 seconds to open, time for the Genius Bar...

17 of 17 (668 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments