Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 23, 2010
12:46:25 PM
Slow after update

I did the 4.0 update on my 3g and now it is very slow to respond. Anyone else have this issue or am I imagining it?

I did the 4.0 update on my 3g and now it is very slow to respond. Anyone else have this issue or am I imagining it?

Slow after update

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 12:50:10 PM
(0)
Voyager

it is NOT your imagination!! Same problem here.

it is NOT your imagination!! Same problem here.

Re: Slow after update

2 of 9 (1,226 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 12:51:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same with my 3Gs. Angry birds especially and the photos keep freezing.

Same with my 3Gs. Angry birds especially and the photos keep freezing.

3 of 9 (1,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 12:51:17 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Jun 23, 2010 at 12:52:23 PM

Probably not imagining it. 3G doesn't run the same speed power that 3GS does.

Not sure how sluggish it is now compared to 3.0. iOS4 runs more processing than iOS3 now.

It could be because it's a "4.0" and until they get to 4.1 to improve it, it'll continue to be sluggih.

Probably not imagining it. 3G doesn't run the same speed power that 3GS does.

Not sure how sluggish it is now compared to 3.0. iOS4 runs more processing than iOS3 now.

It could be because it's a "4.0" and until they get to 4.1 to improve it, it'll continue to be sluggih.

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (1,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 12:55:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

I think I will use it as an excuse to get get a new 4.0 when they get to the stores next week, at least I know it is not my imagination

Thanks

I think I will use it as an excuse to get get a new 4.0 when they get to the stores next week, at least I know it is not my imagination

Thanks

5 of 9 (1,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 2:01:41 PM
(0)
Mentor

Mine was extremely slow after the 4.0 upgrade but after I hard booted it, it got better. 

Mine was extremely slow after the 4.0 upgrade but after I hard booted it, it got better. 

6 of 9 (1,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 2:05:51 PM
(0)
Master
I think my 3GS might have been a little slow after I updated to iOS4, but it has been much faster after charging it up fully.
I think my 3GS might have been a little slow after I updated to iOS4, but it has been much faster after charging it up fully.

7 of 9 (1,124 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 3:18:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have experienced the exact same problem.

I have a 3G iPhone that I upgraded when iOS 4.0 came out.

Text messaging, Maps, Safari, even the Phone application are all basically unusably slow now. It takes 8 seconds to launch the text message app. The lag when I type is so bad that its unbearable. I clean installed the system with no apps, no music, nothing and it was still unusable. When I went to the apple store they helped me clean install everything, and after it didn't work they basically said this was a common issue and there wasn't anything I could do except upgrade or go online and figure out how to downgrade the software. But apple doesn't officially support the downgrade so I'm on my own with that. So just to be clear - the phone broke because of an official software upgrade and the solution is I have to buy a new phone.

What I keep hearing is the iPhone 4 is blazing fast and works great. Up until now I've been a big supporter of Apple but this is just too far. No way am I going to spend my money to fix a problem apple created. Not sure if it was intentional or not - but by screwing my phone up Apple isn't driving me to upgrade to the iPhone 4 - they've pushed me to get an Evo. To wait out the next 4 months of my contract and them move over to Sprint. I've been with Cingular/At&t for 8 years. Good bye iPhone and getting over charged and hello Sprint Evo on a 4G network with the 69.99 simply everything plan.

I have experienced the exact same problem.

I have a 3G iPhone that I upgraded when iOS 4.0 came out.

Text messaging, Maps, Safari, even the Phone application are all basically unusably slow now. It takes 8 seconds to launch the text message app. The lag when I type is so bad that its unbearable. I clean installed the system with no apps, no music, nothing and it was still unusable. When I went to the apple store they helped me clean install everything, and after it didn't work they basically said this was a common issue and there wasn't anything I could do except upgrade or go online and figure out how to downgrade the software. But apple doesn't officially support the downgrade so I'm on my own with that. So just to be clear - the phone broke because of an official software upgrade and the solution is I have to buy a new phone.

What I keep hearing is the iPhone 4 is blazing fast and works great. Up until now I've been a big supporter of Apple but this is just too far. No way am I going to spend my money to fix a problem apple created. Not sure if it was intentional or not - but by screwing my phone up Apple isn't driving me to upgrade to the iPhone 4 - they've pushed me to get an Evo. To wait out the next 4 months of my contract and them move over to Sprint. I've been with Cingular/At&t for 8 years. Good bye iPhone and getting over charged and hello Sprint Evo on a 4G network with the 69.99 simply everything plan.

8 of 9 (958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 3:49:32 PM
(0)
Mentor

I upgraded my iPhone 3GS to iOS 4 as soon as it came out. At first it was great but now it lags sometimes and the Camera takes forever to open and shoot pictures. I was at work today when a guy building a barn for us on our property took out his iPhone 3G to show us some pictures and he was complaining about how slow it was. He asked us if we had iPhones and I told him we had the 3GS and I also noticed it was slow at times. He said that if you don't have an iPhone 4, then you aren't supposed to upgrade to iOS 4 and iTunes doesn't tell you that and simply lets you download and install it. I asked if you could just reset the phone to its original software settings and he said that 4.0 reprograms the entire BIOS of the phone and AT&T can't help you with it and that you have to ship it off if you want it fixed... sounds like a load of BS to me but he also said you will get a $100 device discount if you upgrade your phone (which would really help if you had the discounted price it would only be $99! But I don't know if his statement is true or not) but otherwise there's nothing else you can really do. I'm getting a new iPhone 4 anyway so it makes no difference to me, until I get it at least...

I upgraded my iPhone 3GS to iOS 4 as soon as it came out. At first it was great but now it lags sometimes and the Camera takes forever to open and shoot pictures. I was at work today when a guy building a barn for us on our property took out his iPhone 3G to show us some pictures and he was complaining about how slow it was. He asked us if we had iPhones and I told him we had the 3GS and I also noticed it was slow at times. He said that if you don't have an iPhone 4, then you aren't supposed to upgrade to iOS 4 and iTunes doesn't tell you that and simply lets you download and install it. I asked if you could just reset the phone to its original software settings and he said that 4.0 reprograms the entire BIOS of the phone and AT&T can't help you with it and that you have to ship it off if you want it fixed... sounds like a load of BS to me but he also said you will get a $100 device discount if you upgrade your phone (which would really help if you had the discounted price it would only be $99! But I don't know if his statement is true or not) but otherwise there's nothing else you can really do. I'm getting a new iPhone 4 anyway so it makes no difference to me, until I get it at least...

9 of 9 (943 Views)