Slow Download Recently with Sierra 875 (XP & Vista)

Contributor

Slow Download Recently with Sierra 875 (XP & Vista)

Within the last few weeks my wireless card has been useless (slower than dial-up).  I have 2 laptops and both are experiencing the same issue.  One is running XP and the other Vista.  I use the wireless card for my home as it's my only option, don't live close enough to the city to have cable.  When I travel and the computer is connected to 3G everything is fine but when it's not the download speed is horrible.  My signal strength has not changed during this time, it says it has a very good signal (-70).  Here is the list of the things I've already tried:
  1. Removing and Re-installing Com. MGR (currently running 6.6)
  2. Using Sierra's 3G Watcher
  3. Deleting all of the temp files / cache
  4. Flushing my DNS
  5. Using a Different Browser

As I've noticed in other postings, this issue appears to have begun roughly 2 months after getting the card (and being locked into a 2 yr contract).

If there's any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Message 1 of 11 (5,915 Views)
Guru

Re: Slow Download Recently with Sierra 875 (XP & Vista)

If you can get 3G at your home, that should help significantly. With the Sierra Wireless' 3G Watcher, you can set the network to 3G only. Sometimes this works when the 3G signal is weak and the EDGE signal is strong.

Othewise, a proper antenna might improve things. If you try an external antenna, be sure and get the correct antenna adapter. There is a long and short version of the connector, and only one will make a good connection. You can get antennas and adapters at alternativewireless.com.
Message 2 of 11 (5,906 Views)
Guru

Another thought. I have read some threads where disabling IPv6 will speed up one's internet connection significantly in some cases. Google IPv6 for more info.
Message 3 of 11 (5,902 Views)
Contributor

Thanks DeeBat!  I too was using the Sierra Wireless 3G Watcher and my connection has been horribly slow.  I went into the options under Network, and found that my 2G 850/1900!  I changed this setting to 3G All and my connection has improved greatly.  A little utility I use to check my connection speed is to pull up a command prompt window (Start, run, cmd) and type in:  ping www.google.com -l 5 -t
This sends a 5 byte packet to google and reports back the roundtrip time in milliseconds.  On a highspeed connection this should be no more than 90ms.  Before I made the change my ping latency times were 1200-2100ms.  Now they my times are 180-200ms!  Thanks! 
Message 4 of 11 (5,491 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]
" I went into the options under Network, and found that my 2G 850/1900!  I changed this setting to 3G "
Why shouldn't it just be set to Automatic?

Message Edited by oldman_ii on 03-04-2008 01:47:48 PM
Message 5 of 11 (5,487 Views)
Mentor

Ive had same problem, used the 860 card for about a year no problems good connection speed on edge, then about 2 months ago got slower than dial up and freezing. thought it was card so bought a new 875 and it was the same finaly hooked up an antenna 13db bought from cellgear on ebay. speed is back but still had freezing problem, took a lot of fidling and upgrading to get rid of freezing problem but now its working ok between 150 to 200k download speed with antenna, without 20 to 30K and its showing 4 bars with 70 to 75 db !
Message 6 of 11 (5,475 Views)
Master

oldman_ii wrote:
" I went into the options under Network, and found that my 2G 850/1900!  I changed this setting to 3G "
Why shouldn't it just be set to Automatic?

If the 2g signal is stronger it will use that signal instead of the lower 3g.
Message 7 of 11 (5,459 Views)
Contributor

I too am using the Sierra 875U and am experiencing slow speeds.  I am sure it was much faster when I first installed it.  I am getting about 300kbs up and download speeds.  Using the test previously mentiond (ping www.google.com -i 5 -t ) shows the latency to be around 400ms.  When I go into diagnostics, it says the network type is EDGE.  I see now way to change this.  Is that because that is all that is availble?  How do I select G2 or G3?  I cannot find it in the instructions anywhere?  What is the G3 Watcher that is mentioned?
Message 8 of 11 (5,454 Views)
Contributor

You can get the download for Sierra Wireless connection app here: http://www.sierrawireless.com/support/  I use this one exclusively instead of the AT&T one as it is more reliable connecting and detecting the card. Inside of the app are the connection preferences.
Message 9 of 11 (5,442 Views)
Guru

I saw this post recently which should work with Communication Manager. I still recommend Sierra Wireless's 3G Watcher however.

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=pccards&message.id=9019&query.id=161386#M9019
Message 10 of 11 (5,429 Views)
Mentor

My Edge service acts more like GSM when I tethered my Siemens phone.  Slow (worse than dialup), and erratic performance including disconnects and variable behavior depending on time of day.

If often wonder if the Edge icon appears no matter what, and I really am on GSM.
Message 11 of 11 (1,314 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.