Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 10, 2008
9:48:20 AM
View profile
Slow DOWNLOAD speeds on the edge network.
I'm currently using the Sierra Wireless 881u modem and connect to the edge network with five bars.  When I speedtest my connection it'll pretty much always show the speed at around 100-120k.  But, when I attempt to download ANYTHING the download speed stalls at a whimpy 25k.  I have called tech support and they told me there's nothing they can really do because they go by  the dslreports.com speedtest and that shows the connection working fine.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

P.S. I have tried the modem on 3 different computers(2 desktops and a laptop) and the samething happened on all of them.
I'm currently using the Sierra Wireless 881u modem and connect to the edge network with five bars.  When I speedtest my connection it'll pretty much always show the speed at around 100-120k.  But, when I attempt to download ANYTHING the download speed stalls at a whimpy 25k.  I have called tech support and they told me there's nothing they can really do because they go by  the dslreports.com speedtest and that shows the connection working fine.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

P.S. I have tried the modem on 3 different computers(2 desktops and a laptop) and the samething happened on all of them.

Slow DOWNLOAD speeds on the edge network.

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2008 11:11:25 AM
(0)
Master
Is it always the same type of dowload that is slow?  Have you tried dowloading from different locations to make sure it's not the site you are downloading from that is having the problem?  You may also want to make sure you are not using the accelerated function in the communications manager.
Is it always the same type of dowload that is slow?  Have you tried dowloading from different locations to make sure it's not the site you are downloading from that is having the problem?  You may also want to make sure you are not using the accelerated function in the communications manager.

Re: Slow DOWNLOAD speeds on the edge network.

2 of 4 (1,797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2008 12:14:04 PM
(0)
Contributor
Yeah, I have tried many different sites and even tried to download files from a near by server.  Everything leads to a top speed of about 25k.  I really think my connection is capped or something..
Yeah, I have tried many different sites and even tried to download files from a near by server.  Everything leads to a top speed of about 25k.  I really think my connection is capped or something..

3 of 4 (1,791 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2008 4:28:03 PM
(0)
Scholar
That's because downloads are measured in bytes, not bits. 25K with EDGE translates to around 200k in network bandwidth. You'll never do much better than this with EDGE in the current crop of devices and the current EDGE networks.
That's because downloads are measured in bytes, not bits. 25K with EDGE translates to around 200k in network bandwidth. You'll never do much better than this with EDGE in the current crop of devices and the current EDGE networks.

4 of 4 (1,785 Views)