Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 26, 2012
11:32:30 AM
Skyrocket ICS out?

A guy I know showed me ICS on his AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket running Android 4.0 / ICS. I checked for updates, but I don't have any updates. Did AT&T release it or not? Is there something wrong with my phone?

A guy I know showed me ICS on his AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket running Android 4.0 / ICS. I checked for updates, but I don't have any updates. Did AT&T release it or not? Is there something wrong with my phone?

Skyrocket ICS out?

36 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(36)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 11:42:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

I read article on this.  I know it is available for rooted devices.   i am stuck at 2.3.5  i wonr update

I read article on this.  I know it is available for rooted devices.   i am stuck at 2.3.5  i wonr update

Re: Skyrocket ICS out?

2 of 37 (13,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 1:24:26 PM
(0)
Mentor
How about it AT&T? Can you clarify what is going on?
How about it AT&T? Can you clarify what is going on?

3 of 37 (13,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 5:31:59 PM
(0)
Master
It is leaked but not yet released. It may not be the final version.

4 of 37 (13,323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 6:59:51 PM
(0)
Voyager

anyone know an eta?  no one has been able to help me, and I am anxious

anyone know an eta?  no one has been able to help me, and I am anxious

5 of 37 (13,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2012 6:34:05 AM
(0)
Master

No one other than AT&T knows the release date (and AT&T tradditionally never announce it publically). It could be from a few weeks to a few months. You never know.

No one other than AT&T knows the release date (and AT&T tradditionally never announce it publically). It could be from a few weeks to a few months. You never know.

6 of 37 (13,225 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2012 8:05:42 AM
(0)
Guru

foxbat121 wrote:

If the Infuse is any indication, probably 3-6 months minimum.

Infuse leaks started showing in September 2011, first release attempt wasn't until late January 2012, and that was pulled and the re-release (UCLB3) still hasn't happened.

I777 got a leak too, but it was fairly useless - the only thing it could've offered we don't already have thanks to the I9100 is NFC, but the I777 UCLC2 leak is completely missing NFC support.

foxbat121 wrote:

If the Infuse is any indication, probably 3-6 months minimum.

Infuse leaks started showing in September 2011, first release attempt wasn't until late January 2012, and that was pulled and the re-release (UCLB3) still hasn't happened.

I777 got a leak too, but it was fairly useless - the only thing it could've offered we don't already have thanks to the I9100 is NFC, but the I777 UCLC2 leak is completely missing NFC support.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

7 of 37 (13,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2012 12:15:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

foxbat121 wrote:

It's fairly stable, but I wouldn't call it a "final" version.

Yeah, it has NFC and a few other goodies, but still has a few annoying bugs.

Functionaly it's about 98% ready to go.

foxbat121 wrote:

It's fairly stable, but I wouldn't call it a "final" version.

Yeah, it has NFC and a few other goodies, but still has a few annoying bugs.

Functionaly it's about 98% ready to go.

8 of 37 (13,169 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2012 12:16:39 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have installed the leaked ICS on my Skyrocket.  All functionality is there.  Bluetooth works.  Calls work.  Whatever they call their store now will let me install ICS only apps.  It would also seem that the NFC stuff is there too.  Since there isn't anything available for me to test it with, I'm not sure if it is really on.  Pretty good set up.  Not quite ready for mainstream.  Something keeps making it force close once in a while.  Annoying when it happens but infrequent enough that I can cope.  I also have an option to keep the 4 main buttons at the bottom of the screen on.  Also have a restart option with the power options.  I wish my Transformer Prime had that restart option.  I didn't root.  It was an all in one package that set it up for me.  Would I install a legit version when Samsung releases it?  H&*#l yeah.  Transitions are smoother.  Battery lasts twice as long, too.  I don't plan on going back to Gingerbread unless that's what it takes to get the legit version of ICS when it's released.

I have installed the leaked ICS on my Skyrocket.  All functionality is there.  Bluetooth works.  Calls work.  Whatever they call their store now will let me install ICS only apps.  It would also seem that the NFC stuff is there too.  Since there isn't anything available for me to test it with, I'm not sure if it is really on.  Pretty good set up.  Not quite ready for mainstream.  Something keeps making it force close once in a while.  Annoying when it happens but infrequent enough that I can cope.  I also have an option to keep the 4 main buttons at the bottom of the screen on.  Also have a restart option with the power options.  I wish my Transformer Prime had that restart option.  I didn't root.  It was an all in one package that set it up for me.  Would I install a legit version when Samsung releases it?  H&*#l yeah.  Transitions are smoother.  Battery lasts twice as long, too.  I don't plan on going back to Gingerbread unless that's what it takes to get the legit version of ICS when it's released.

9 of 37 (13,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 7:26:59 AM
(0)
Teacher

Loaded the leaked ICS rom last night, worked first time.  Rooted very easily and all my apps are restored.  Appearance wise I don't see a lot of change from previous, perhaps that is down to Touchwiz covering up the changes.  The phone does seem smoother some how, more fluid during screen swipes etc.  We'll see how things work today in a "production" environment.

Loaded the leaked ICS rom last night, worked first time.  Rooted very easily and all my apps are restored.  Appearance wise I don't see a lot of change from previous, perhaps that is down to Touchwiz covering up the changes.  The phone does seem smoother some how, more fluid during screen swipes etc.  We'll see how things work today in a "production" environment.

10 of 37 (12,620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 7:49:07 AM
(0)
Employee
Download nova launcher. Its an ICS launcher and it only works on ICS ROMs. I have it and its beautiful
Download nova launcher. Its an ICS launcher and it only works on ICS ROMs. I have it and its beautiful
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 37 (12,549 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 8:41:48 AM
(0)
Teacher

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Try Apex launcher... smoother than Nova and more configurable. Smiley Wink

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Try Apex launcher... smoother than Nova and more configurable. Smiley Wink

12 of 37 (12,540 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 8:27:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

After a day of running the leaked ICS ROM I am a  pretty happy camper.  Battery life seems better under th ICS ROM than the previous even though I was running juice defender on stock and managing battery life pretty aggressively.  No problems with the ROM noted at all given my use patterns.

One thing I was looking for ICS to bring that I can't find, direct camera access from the lock screen.  Is this something Samsung customized out of existence?

After a day of running the leaked ICS ROM I am a  pretty happy camper.  Battery life seems better under th ICS ROM than the previous even though I was running juice defender on stock and managing battery life pretty aggressively.  No problems with the ROM noted at all given my use patterns.

One thing I was looking for ICS to bring that I can't find, direct camera access from the lock screen.  Is this something Samsung customized out of existence?

13 of 37 (12,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 7:49:36 AM
(0)
Scholar
Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket

14 of 37 (11,777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2012 9:22:46 PM
(0)
Tutor
im still waiting on this to come out! If att is really wanting people to keep their phones longer and stop burning through upgrades, upgrade software to what people want! people will bail from the skyrocket to the s3 just to get ics
im still waiting on this to come out! If att is really wanting people to keep their phones longer and stop burning through upgrades, upgrade software to what people want! people will bail from the skyrocket to the s3 just to get ics

15 of 37 (10,851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2012 1:25:34 AM
(0)
Scholar
Unfortunately, Nova launcher is incompatible with Skyrocket.
Thanx in Advance
Unfortunately, Nova launcher is incompatible with Skyrocket.
Thanx in Advance

16 of 37 (10,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2012 1:27:13 AM
(0)
Scholar
Unfortunately, Apex launcher is incompatible with Skyrocket.
Thanx in Advance
Unfortunately, Apex launcher is incompatible with Skyrocket.
Thanx in Advance

17 of 37 (10,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2012 9:32:33 AM
(0)
Scholar
Again AT&T from AT&Tfacebook wrote that the ICS update will be released in the coming months. You can read all about it here:
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=22620&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=34101&mapcode=consumer
I checked the URL n saw that the announcement was announced on March 22, 2012. There written HTC Vivid™ will be the first U.S. smartphone to receive Ice Cream Sandwich as an update and the first to be issued by a wireless carrier. It will be followed by several other AT&T devices in the coming months. Now its June 2012. Coming months is not minimum satisfactory date or time frame
Thanx in Advance
Again AT&T from AT&Tfacebook wrote that the ICS update will be released in the coming months. You can read all about it here:
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=22620&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=34101&mapcode=consumer
I checked the URL n saw that the announcement was announced on March 22, 2012. There written HTC Vivid™ will be the first U.S. smartphone to receive Ice Cream Sandwich as an update and the first to be issued by a wireless carrier. It will be followed by several other AT&T devices in the coming months. Now its June 2012. Coming months is not minimum satisfactory date or time frame
Thanx in Advance

18 of 37 (10,281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2012 1:49:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

After Galaxy S3 launch.

After Galaxy S3 launch.

19 of 37 (10,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2012 9:07:07 PM
(0)
Teacher

Wish I would have waited for the GS3, it is what I get for listening to a saleman. I should have never listened to him, I know that this phone will eventually get ICS, infact I have ICS 4.0.4 right now on my phone but the official release would allow for overclocking and proper stable roms. I just want the official update, at this rate I am just going to get the next Nexus phone straight from Google so I do not have to worry about updates having to pass through carriers.

Wish I would have waited for the GS3, it is what I get for listening to a saleman. I should have never listened to him, I know that this phone will eventually get ICS, infact I have ICS 4.0.4 right now on my phone but the official release would allow for overclocking and proper stable roms. I just want the official update, at this rate I am just going to get the next Nexus phone straight from Google so I do not have to worry about updates having to pass through carriers.

20 of 37 (9,915 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 8:13:12 AM
(0)
Master

hatepump wrote:

Wish I would have waited for the GS3, it is what I get for listening to a saleman.

I you buy GS3 this month, you will say the samething 6 months down the road: you wish you would have waited for GS4 with Jelly Bean. Smiley Happy

Buy a phone already running  the the OS you wanted to have. There is never any guarantee if and when that phone will receive any future OS updates.

hatepump wrote:

Wish I would have waited for the GS3, it is what I get for listening to a saleman.

I you buy GS3 this month, you will say the samething 6 months down the road: you wish you would have waited for GS4 with Jelly Bean. Smiley Happy

Buy a phone already running  the the OS you wanted to have. There is never any guarantee if and when that phone will receive any future OS updates.

21 of 37 (9,756 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 8:15:16 AM
(0)
Scholar
try to handle customer smoothly, coz customer satisfaction in the main thing in a business
try to handle customer smoothly, coz customer satisfaction in the main thing in a business

22 of 37 (9,754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 8:24:58 AM
(0)
Scholar
T-Mobile announced the OS ICS for Samsung Galaxy S II (SGH-t989) Coming June 11th some days before. Better way to check for AT&T updates:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00046726&fm_seq=49755#

T-Mobile announced the OS ICS for Samsung Galaxy S II (SGH-t989) Coming June 11th some days before. Better way to check for AT&T updates:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00046726&fm_seq=49755#

23 of 37 (9,750 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2012 8:03:16 AM
(0)
Teacher
Jelly bean is going to be a tablet optimized OS. I know tech is always moving forward but I would have been better off waiting. Don't get me wrong I love my skyrocket I just hate that I either have to wait for a carrier who is dragging their feet so people will get fed up and upgrade or I have to run an incomplete leaked build. My next phone will be purchased straight from google so I do not have to wait on carriers.

It's funny because I want to be mad but I know it is business. It is just stupid that we have to wait because AT&T wants to sell some phones before upgrading what is already released.
Jelly bean is going to be a tablet optimized OS. I know tech is always moving forward but I would have been better off waiting. Don't get me wrong I love my skyrocket I just hate that I either have to wait for a carrier who is dragging their feet so people will get fed up and upgrade or I have to run an incomplete leaked build. My next phone will be purchased straight from google so I do not have to wait on carriers.

It's funny because I want to be mad but I know it is business. It is just stupid that we have to wait because AT&T wants to sell some phones before upgrading what is already released.

24 of 37 (9,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2012 1:24:26 PM
(0)
Tutor
they just need to roll out updates quicker. When I bought the skyrocket it was because it had gingerbread and i was tried of waiting on an update on my other phone. now i'm waiting and waiting for Ics to hit the skyrocket.
they just need to roll out updates quicker. When I bought the skyrocket it was because it had gingerbread and i was tried of waiting on an update on my other phone. now i'm waiting and waiting for Ics to hit the skyrocket.

25 of 37 (9,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2012 1:17:21 PM
(0)
Guru

Skyrocket may get delayed since it was recently discovered that it's vulnerable to Superbrick just like its less-mutated cousin, the I777.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/determine-your-devices-hard-brick-risk-with-got-brickbug/

Skyrocket may get delayed since it was recently discovered that it's vulnerable to Superbrick just like its less-mutated cousin, the I777.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/determine-your-devices-hard-brick-risk-with-got-brickbug/

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

26 of 37 (9,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2012 3:53:33 AM
(0)
Teacher

Please check your facts Entropy.  Neither the Skyrocket nor the AT&T Note are affected by that bug.  They have the wrong processor.  IT's getting old watching you constantly post this crap.

Please check your facts Entropy.  Neither the Skyrocket nor the AT&T Note are affected by that bug.  They have the wrong processor.  IT's getting old watching you constantly post this crap.

27 of 37 (9,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2012 5:06:48 AM
(0)
Mentor
The latest from chainfire on xda says t989 and i727 have the bug also.
The latest from chainfire on xda says t989 and i727 have the bug also.

28 of 37 (9,363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2012 7:44:48 AM
(0)
Teacher

Neither the SHG-I717 nor the SGH-I727 are on any site I can find concerning the brick bug.  The 727 is the Skyrocket.  The t989 is a Galaxy S II.  The Galaxy S II has a different radio and processor in it than the 717 and 727.  If you have used the brick bug detector put out by chainfire you would know that it checks the processor model to determine if you're at risk.  You people keep putting this crap on here could be ruining someone else's chance of getting either a Skyrocket or Note which are perfectly fine phones.  Do your research.  Reading is fundemental.

Neither the SHG-I717 nor the SGH-I727 are on any site I can find concerning the brick bug.  The 727 is the Skyrocket.  The t989 is a Galaxy S II.  The Galaxy S II has a different radio and processor in it than the 717 and 727.  If you have used the brick bug detector put out by chainfire you would know that it checks the processor model to determine if you're at risk.  You people keep putting this crap on here could be ruining someone else's chance of getting either a Skyrocket or Note which are perfectly fine phones.  Do your research.  Reading is fundemental.

29 of 37 (9,324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2012 9:05:51 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by chrisayrer on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:49:35 AM

My bad, you are right. Reading is fundamental. Its done like this, top to bottom, left to right. Here is the link.
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/samsung-diligently-working-towards-hardbrick-fix/

"We’ve contacted Samsung about the problem where performing a mmc erase could hardbrick your phone (i9100, i9100g, n7000, m250 – MAG4FA, VYL00M, and KYL00M with firmware revision 0×19 // T989 and I727 with fw rev 0×12) if it’s having a faulty emmc chip. Read this thread for more informations about it:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1644364"

If you check out the link at the end of the quote you will find several people with bricked skyrockets.

My bad, you are right. Reading is fundamental. Its done like this, top to bottom, left to right. Here is the link.
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/samsung-diligently-working-towards-hardbrick-fix/

"We’ve contacted Samsung about the problem where performing a mmc erase could hardbrick your phone (i9100, i9100g, n7000, m250 – MAG4FA, VYL00M, and KYL00M with firmware revision 0×19 // T989 and I727 with fw rev 0×12) if it’s having a faulty emmc chip. Read this thread for more informations about it:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1644364"

If you check out the link at the end of the quote you will find several people with bricked skyrockets.

[ Edited ]
30 of 37 (9,297 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments