Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 15, 2011
11:34:45 AM
Skyrocket - Gorilla Glass?

Does the Skyrocket have Gorilla glass just most of the Samsung line? I read a few reviews where they said it did NOT have Gorilla Glass and want to make sure before I purchase one.

Thanks...

Does the Skyrocket have Gorilla glass just most of the Samsung line? I read a few reviews where they said it did NOT have Gorilla Glass and want to make sure before I purchase one.

Thanks...

Skyrocket - Gorilla Glass?

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 1:34:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I am fairly certain that it does have Gorilla Glass...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I am fairly certain that it does have Gorilla Glass...

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Skyrocket - Gorilla Glass?

2 of 21 (10,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 7:57:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

it has gorilla glass same with all the gs2 phones and the normal att samsung galaxy 2 they all have gorilla glass

galaxy nexus doesn't however

it has gorilla glass same with all the gs2 phones and the normal att samsung galaxy 2 they all have gorilla glass

galaxy nexus doesn't however

3 of 21 (10,822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2011 1:35:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

Neither the Skyrocket nor the Galaxy S2 have Gorilla Glass.  

I verified this from two different emails last week from Samsung (emphasis mine)

Dear Jon,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The Samsung Skyrocket (SGH-I727) does not feature the Gorilla glass. However, we assure you that the all
components of the phone passed the Samsung quality and is tested to withstand multiple different
conditions. It also features the Super AMOLED™ Plus Technology that enables users to interact with a phone
by touching images, words, or icons on the display.

Do you have more questions regarding your Samsung Mobile Phone? For 24 hour information and
assistance, we offer our new FAQ/ARS System - Automated Response System at
http://www.samsung.com/support

It's like having your very own personal Samsung Technician at your fingertips.

We appreciate your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Charisse
Technical Support

--------------------------------------------

Dear Jon,

Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize for the inconvenience regarding your phone.
The Samsung Galaxy II does not feature the Gorilla glass. However, we assure you that the all components of
the phone passed the Samsung quality and is tested to withstand multiple different conditions. It also
features the Super AMOLED™ Plus Technology that enables users to interact with a phone by touching
images, words, or icons on the display.

We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products. Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Jen
Technical Support

Neither the Skyrocket nor the Galaxy S2 have Gorilla Glass.  

I verified this from two different emails last week from Samsung (emphasis mine)

Dear Jon,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The Samsung Skyrocket (SGH-I727) does not feature the Gorilla glass. However, we assure you that the all
components of the phone passed the Samsung quality and is tested to withstand multiple different
conditions. It also features the Super AMOLED™ Plus Technology that enables users to interact with a phone
by touching images, words, or icons on the display.

Do you have more questions regarding your Samsung Mobile Phone? For 24 hour information and
assistance, we offer our new FAQ/ARS System - Automated Response System at
http://www.samsung.com/support

It's like having your very own personal Samsung Technician at your fingertips.

We appreciate your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Charisse
Technical Support

--------------------------------------------

Dear Jon,

Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize for the inconvenience regarding your phone.
The Samsung Galaxy II does not feature the Gorilla glass. However, we assure you that the all components of
the phone passed the Samsung quality and is tested to withstand multiple different conditions. It also
features the Super AMOLED™ Plus Technology that enables users to interact with a phone by touching
images, words, or icons on the display.

We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products. Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Jen
Technical Support

4 of 21 (10,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2011 4:01:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Well, that's kinda lame. I wonder if the screen would crack a lot easier if it were dropped. My friend has a Captivate (like me) with Gorilla Glass, and she cracked her screen when she dropped the phone on her tile floor.

Still, I'm sure it's stronger than Apple's screens... Smiley Very Happy

Well, that's kinda lame. I wonder if the screen would crack a lot easier if it were dropped. My friend has a Captivate (like me) with Gorilla Glass, and she cracked her screen when she dropped the phone on her tile floor.

Still, I'm sure it's stronger than Apple's screens... Smiley Very Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 21 (10,610 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2011 11:03:40 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by CincinnatiDan on Nov 29, 2011 at 11:33:15 PM

Every article I've read since April 2011, and every product description for the Galaxy S2, said it has Gorilla Glass.  THAT is what I believe. 

I had an AT&T rep tell me that HSPA+ was faster than LTE, and that the Galaxy S2 (non-Skyrocket) was LTE ready.  So, no, I don't believe everything a rep tells me.  They don't know everything.

Every article I've read since April 2011, and every product description for the Galaxy S2, said it has Gorilla Glass.  THAT is what I believe. 

I had an AT&T rep tell me that HSPA+ was faster than LTE, and that the Galaxy S2 (non-Skyrocket) was LTE ready.  So, no, I don't believe everything a rep tells me.  They don't know everything.

[ Edited ]
6 of 21 (10,588 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 4:29:48 AM
(0)
Mentor

It is Gorilla Glass...

It is Gorilla Glass...

7 of 21 (10,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 7:13:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Only one way to find out... Smiley Very Happy

I truly believe that it is, considering that other Samsung phones of the Galaxy S line are standard equipped with Gorilla Glass. Samsung would be silly not to include it on either of the new Galaxy S IIs.

Only one way to find out... Smiley Very Happy

I truly believe that it is, considering that other Samsung phones of the Galaxy S line are standard equipped with Gorilla Glass. Samsung would be silly not to include it on either of the new Galaxy S IIs.

8 of 21 (10,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 11:46:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

I guess I don't understand the willingness to believe external reviews or "feelings" over answers given by Samsung tech support

I guess I don't understand the willingness to believe external reviews or "feelings" over answers given by Samsung tech support

9 of 21 (10,538 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 11:49:17 AM
(0)
Mentor

This is difficult...I almost didn't buy the phone because I "heard" it didn't have Gorilla glass...it sure feels and looks like the same glass on all of their gorilla glass phones...

This is difficult...I almost didn't buy the phone because I "heard" it didn't have Gorilla glass...it sure feels and looks like the same glass on all of their gorilla glass phones...

10 of 21 (10,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 1:24:10 PM
(0)
Master

jonj wrote:

Because Samsung tech support is often clueless.

I remember some info released some where that Corning said Skyrocket does not has Gorilla Glass. But I don't know how credible that info is.

jonj wrote:

Because Samsung tech support is often clueless.

I remember some info released some where that Corning said Skyrocket does not has Gorilla Glass. But I don't know how credible that info is.

11 of 21 (7,812 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2012 4:21:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

Im my scratch test, I don't think the Skyrocket is made of Gorilla Glass because it scratches pretty easily. Check out the video here: http://youtu.be/ow-jmBBzLmI

Im my scratch test, I don't think the Skyrocket is made of Gorilla Glass because it scratches pretty easily. Check out the video here: http://youtu.be/ow-jmBBzLmI

12 of 21 (7,390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 7:03:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The Skyrocket does not have Gorilla Glass. Smiley Wink It has a Super AMOLED+ screen Smiley Tongue

~Sunshine Smiley Happy

The Skyrocket does not have Gorilla Glass. Smiley Wink It has a Super AMOLED+ screen Smiley Tongue

~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)

13 of 21 (7,350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 7:13:10 AM
(0)
Master

Evandela wrote:

Two different topic. Gorilla Glass (or not) is a protective layer on top of the Super AMOLED+ screen. With Gorilla Glass on top, the screen is more durable against common scratches. It has nothing to do with what screen display technology is used underneath.

Evandela wrote:

Two different topic. Gorilla Glass (or not) is a protective layer on top of the Super AMOLED+ screen. With Gorilla Glass on top, the screen is more durable against common scratches. It has nothing to do with what screen display technology is used underneath.

14 of 21 (7,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 3:25:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Just be glad that it doesn't have the same crack/shatter-prone screen used in Apple iPhones!

Just be glad that it doesn't have the same crack/shatter-prone screen used in Apple iPhones!

15 of 21 (7,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2012 4:24:08 AM
(0)
Teacher

Gorilla Glass is a trademarked name for the super hard glass produced by Corning. Others make glass that is just as good, but they can't call it Gorilla Glass. Just because a device doesn't have a  "Gorilla Glass" layer this doesn't mean that it isn't as good as one with it.

Gorilla Glass is a trademarked name for the super hard glass produced by Corning. Others make glass that is just as good, but they can't call it Gorilla Glass. Just because a device doesn't have a  "Gorilla Glass" layer this doesn't mean that it isn't as good as one with it.

16 of 21 (7,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2012 5:32:53 PM
(0)
Contributor
It doesnt have gorilla glass, or possibly doesnt cuz I dropped mine today, and it cracked way too ez, Ive dropped my infuse and it got only chips a scratchs, no cracks in the screen.
It doesnt have gorilla glass, or possibly doesnt cuz I dropped mine today, and it cracked way too ez, Ive dropped my infuse and it got only chips a scratchs, no cracks in the screen.

17 of 21 (6,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2012 4:58:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

I dropped my Skyrocket today from a height of about 1.5 feet, and it cracked...fatally. I'm going to go with "no" on the issue of Gorilla Glass. I really enjoyed my Skyrocket, but I have to say that my new One X is a nice consolation prize...

I dropped my Skyrocket today from a height of about 1.5 feet, and it cracked...fatally. I'm going to go with "no" on the issue of Gorilla Glass. I really enjoyed my Skyrocket, but I have to say that my new One X is a nice consolation prize...

18 of 21 (5,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2012 1:40:14 PM
(0)
Teacher

taigan wrote:

Gorrila glass is not shatter proof or shatter resistant. (Ask any iPhone 4 / 4S owner)

It is harder to scratch and more flexible than regular glass, but will still shatter on impact just as easy as regular glass will..

taigan wrote:

Gorrila glass is not shatter proof or shatter resistant. (Ask any iPhone 4 / 4S owner)

It is harder to scratch and more flexible than regular glass, but will still shatter on impact just as easy as regular glass will..

19 of 21 (5,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2012 9:08:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
I've never had an issue with my skyrocket, no screen protector or anything on it and it has no scratches, i've dropped it several times and it's never cracked (though the battery cover flies off easy!)
I've never had an issue with my skyrocket, no screen protector or anything on it and it has no scratches, i've dropped it several times and it's never cracked (though the battery cover flies off easy!)

20 of 21 (5,532 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2012 9:07:57 AM
(0)
Scholar
Gorilla glass is not included as protection glass in Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket. But in Samsung Galxy SIII, there is latest hi tech Gorilla glassII is included as the protection.
Thanx in Advance
Gorilla glass is not included as protection glass in Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket. But in Samsung Galxy SIII, there is latest hi tech Gorilla glassII is included as the protection.
Thanx in Advance
Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket

21 of 21 (5,457 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments