Skyrocket - Gorilla Glass?

Mentor

Skyrocket - Gorilla Glass?

Does the Skyrocket have Gorilla glass just most of the Samsung line? I read a few reviews where they said it did NOT have Gorilla Glass and want to make sure before I purchase one.

Thanks...

Message 1 of 21 (10,998 Views)
Master

Re: Skyrocket - Gorilla Glass?

I am fairly certain that it does have Gorilla Glass...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 21 (10,934 Views)
Scholar

it has gorilla glass same with all the gs2 phones and the normal att samsung galaxy 2 they all have gorilla glass

galaxy nexus doesn't however

Message 3 of 21 (10,910 Views)
Tutor

Neither the Skyrocket nor the Galaxy S2 have Gorilla Glass.  

I verified this from two different emails last week from Samsung (emphasis mine)

Dear Jon,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The Samsung Skyrocket (SGH-I727) does not feature the Gorilla glass. However, we assure you that the all
components of the phone passed the Samsung quality and is tested to withstand multiple different
conditions. It also features the Super AMOLED™ Plus Technology that enables users to interact with a phone
by touching images, words, or icons on the display.

Do you have more questions regarding your Samsung Mobile Phone? For 24 hour information and
assistance, we offer our new FAQ/ARS System - Automated Response System at
http://www.samsung.com/support

It's like having your very own personal Samsung Technician at your fingertips.

We appreciate your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Charisse
Technical Support

--------------------------------------------

Dear Jon,

Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize for the inconvenience regarding your phone.
The Samsung Galaxy II does not feature the Gorilla glass. However, we assure you that the all components of
the phone passed the Samsung quality and is tested to withstand multiple different conditions. It also
features the Super AMOLED™ Plus Technology that enables users to interact with a phone by touching
images, words, or icons on the display.

We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products. Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Jen
Technical Support

Message 4 of 21 (10,711 Views)
Master

Well, that's kinda lame. I wonder if the screen would crack a lot easier if it were dropped. My friend has a Captivate (like me) with Gorilla Glass, and she cracked her screen when she dropped the phone on her tile floor.

Still, I'm sure it's stronger than Apple's screens... Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 21 (10,698 Views)

[ Edited ]

Every article I've read since April 2011, and every product description for the Galaxy S2, said it has Gorilla Glass.  THAT is what I believe. 

I had an AT&T rep tell me that HSPA+ was faster than LTE, and that the Galaxy S2 (non-Skyrocket) was LTE ready.  So, no, I don't believe everything a rep tells me.  They don't know everything.

Message 6 of 21 (10,676 Views)
Mentor

It is Gorilla Glass...

Message 7 of 21 (10,657 Views)
Master

Only one way to find out... Smiley Very Happy

I truly believe that it is, considering that other Samsung phones of the Galaxy S line are standard equipped with Gorilla Glass. Samsung would be silly not to include it on either of the new Galaxy S IIs.

Message 8 of 21 (10,644 Views)
Tutor

I guess I don't understand the willingness to believe external reviews or "feelings" over answers given by Samsung tech support

Message 9 of 21 (10,626 Views)
Mentor

This is difficult...I almost didn't buy the phone because I "heard" it didn't have Gorilla glass...it sure feels and looks like the same glass on all of their gorilla glass phones...

Message 10 of 21 (10,625 Views)
Highlighted
Master

jonj wrote:

I guess I don't understand the willingness to believe external reviews or "feelings" over answers given by Samsung tech support

Because Samsung tech support is often clueless.

I remember some info released some where that Corning said Skyrocket does not has Gorilla Glass. But I don't know how credible that info is.

Message 11 of 21 (7,900 Views)
Contributor

Im my scratch test, I don't think the Skyrocket is made of Gorilla Glass because it scratches pretty easily. Check out the video here: http://youtu.be/ow-jmBBzLmI

Message 12 of 21 (7,478 Views)
ACE - Professor

The Skyrocket does not have Gorilla Glass. Smiley Wink It has a Super AMOLED+ screen Smiley Tongue

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 21 (7,438 Views)
Master

Evandela wrote:

The Skyrocket does not have Gorilla Glass. Smiley Wink It has a Super AMOLED+ screen Smiley Tongue

Two different topic. Gorilla Glass (or not) is a protective layer on top of the Super AMOLED+ screen. With Gorilla Glass on top, the screen is more durable against common scratches. It has nothing to do with what screen display technology is used underneath.

Message 14 of 21 (7,434 Views)
Master

Just be glad that it doesn't have the same crack/shatter-prone screen used in Apple iPhones!

Message 15 of 21 (7,415 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.