Skype on the Atrix

Contributor

Skype on the Atrix

Has anyone gotten Skype or any other VOIP to work on their atrix? I've tried making calls using Skype while on wifi and the other person hears nothing but static. Some research online shows that it's a problem with Motorola's firmware. Any plans to fix this? That's a pretty major disability for the Atrix.

Message 1 of 23
Teacher

Re: Skype on the Atrix

Motorola has stated that the Atrix is not Skype ready, yet.  If you are getting Skype to work and static is heard ont he other end, I would assume it's from the weak mic on the device. 

Another reviewer, a Big Red fan, has a XOOM with the same weakened mic.  To be heard, he must scream into the pad. 

I don't know if there's a patch to fix this in the works.

Message 2 of 23

My oh my,

How this reeks

As I sit here for the next two weeks

with a phone that when using just goes "ack"

I guess that's what I'll say when I take it back!

Being extremely uncomfortable with this purchase leads me to laugh. I hope it did for you. 

More so, I hope this is fixed asap.

Message 3 of 23
Contributor

This is a major glitch for Atrix. No support for VOIP? No support for video calls except Qik? Are you kidding me? Why would I need a fast processor? Play stupid games on a 4 inch screen that is gonna get me dizzy? Motorola u have to pay more attention to the critiques. I called their tech support, said Skype is NOT supported on Atrix. Should've said that in their commercial. Nowadays everybody uses VOIP so Motorola, u better wake up and do something. For me, Atrix goes back!

Message 4 of 23
Mentor

I was just about ready to buy the Atrix. One of the reasons is that it has a front facing camera, so I was assuming that I could do video calling with apps like Fring. I'm I to understand that the Atrix won't do any kind of video calling or VOIP? Thanks for your help?

Message 5 of 23

some have said Qik works as they partnered into the family, so to speak. 

Others have been said to work, even skype, but with a poor mic. 

So far, it seems something has been done such that all the old code no longer works on the newest and shiniest. Why not is something I have yet to see in print or otherwise.

Message 6 of 23

Tango WORKS!

Tango is fixed!

It works and betwixt the iPhone 4.

Becoming more and more pleased with this phone.

Message 7 of 23
Mentor

Re: Tango WORKS!

Thanks. I went ahead and got the Atrix today. I tried Tango between the Atrix and the iphone 3gs. It worked. I didn't do a long call, but it appeared to work just fine. Can't wait to talk to the grandkids.

Message 8 of 23

Ha, totally off the point...

When you see those grandkids, you make sure you have that live wallpaper of satellite imagery over your area is already loaded onto the phone. Talk about the kids getting a kick out of a cool grand parent!

This phone got cooler over night as I went through the live wallpapers. Cool, I tell ya, just cool.

Message 9 of 23
Mentor

LOL - That's the wallpaper that I picked, too.

Message 10 of 23
Mentor

New update on Tango with the Atrix.

I tried using Tango again for a test. We used the new iPad 2 and the Atrix to try and talk to each other via Tango. We couldn't connect. A "Can't connect to the network" message kept appearing. I read on the Tango forum that it's helpful to try different Internet connections. We were using our home WIFI that hooks into our cable Internet provider. That one didn't work with Tango. However, when we tried using a Verizon 3G hotspot to connect both devices to the Internet, it worked. I would have expected just the opposite.

Has anyone else tried Tango?

I have also tried Fring. I can't get very far into the app before it crashes.

Message 11 of 23

Try it again.

My wife has an iP4 and it works without flaw.

Message 12 of 23
Teacher

After installing the latest version, I was able to successfully chat with my daughter (video and audio) on her iPhone 4.

Message 13 of 23
Mentor

I installed Skype on my Atrix and works perfect! 

Message 14 of 23
Contributor

Skype works for me as well, but just voice.  I can't get video to work. Any suggestions?

Message 15 of 23
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support