Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 21, 2011
3:28:42 PM
View profile
Skype iPhone Caller ID

Does ATT allow Skype users to assign their ATT cell as their caller ID on Skype Out calls?  For example, this would display my current ATT cell on the caller ID ONLY when I dial out, using SkypeOut, to the number I'm calling.

In the last 24hrs, I can't get a straight answer from Skype support, and now I'm just curious if its even possible.

Upon calling my friends, I'm being told that the caller ID is coming up as "0000123456" or "unknown."

Can't find any docs that say ATT definitely masks the phone number on any call from Skype user.

Has anyone made this work?  Open for other suggestions too.  Thanks!

Using 3GS btw

Does ATT allow Skype users to assign their ATT cell as their caller ID on Skype Out calls?  For example, this would display my current ATT cell on the caller ID ONLY when I dial out, using SkypeOut, to the number I'm calling.

In the last 24hrs, I can't get a straight answer from Skype support, and now I'm just curious if its even possible.

Upon calling my friends, I'm being told that the caller ID is coming up as "0000123456" or "unknown."

Can't find any docs that say ATT definitely masks the phone number on any call from Skype user.

Has anyone made this work?  Open for other suggestions too.  Thanks!

Using 3GS btw

Skype iPhone Caller ID

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2011 4:05:35 PM
(0)
Professor

I do not see AT&T having anything to do with this.  I would suspect that the Skype app would have to support this.

I do not see AT&T having anything to do with this.  I would suspect that the Skype app would have to support this.

Re: Skype iPhone Caller ID

2 of 10 (982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2011 4:12:11 PM
(0)
Teacher

Agreed.  However, Skype replies:

"If your caller identification is still not displayed correctly to the person you are calling, this means that your provider does not support this feature. In this case, you may want to contact your telecommunications provider regarding this matter."

I just want to know if a ATT user has successfully set up their cell number on their SkypeOUT caller id. 

Thanks.

Agreed.  However, Skype replies:

"If your caller identification is still not displayed correctly to the person you are calling, this means that your provider does not support this feature. In this case, you may want to contact your telecommunications provider regarding this matter."

I just want to know if a ATT user has successfully set up their cell number on their SkypeOUT caller id. 

Thanks.

3 of 10 (979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2011 7:05:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Using Skype, you can set your caller-ID to any phone number where you can receive a text message.  Right now, my Skype caller-ID is set to use my Google Voice number.  To set it up, you go to the Skype web page and enter the phone number to use.  They send an SMS to the number and you enter that came in your SMS into the web page.  Within a day or two my Skype started showing my number I entered.  Before I started using my Google Voice number, I was using my AT&T iPhone number.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Using Skype, you can set your caller-ID to any phone number where you can receive a text message.  Right now, my Skype caller-ID is set to use my Google Voice number.  To set it up, you go to the Skype web page and enter the phone number to use.  They send an SMS to the number and you enter that came in your SMS into the web page.  Within a day or two my Skype started showing my number I entered.  Before I started using my Google Voice number, I was using my AT&T iPhone number.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 10 (960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2011 7:37:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

Good to know.  So, "Within a day or two..." the caller ID should kick in?  Its been over 24hrs, and still "unknown" caller ID when I dial out.  To confirm though, you were in fact able to get your ATT iPhone number to first show up on caller ID, before switching to GV?

Thanks for the help!

Good to know.  So, "Within a day or two..." the caller ID should kick in?  Its been over 24hrs, and still "unknown" caller ID when I dial out.  To confirm though, you were in fact able to get your ATT iPhone number to first show up on caller ID, before switching to GV?

Thanks for the help!

5 of 10 (950 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2011 9:18:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by GeekBoy on Apr 21, 2011 at 9:21:02 PM

austx5 wrote:

Thanks for the help!

Yes, the caller-ID was showing my iPhone number until it was switched.  It took about 36 hours from when I entered my code into the Skpe web page before the new number started to show as my caller-ID for outbound Skype calls.  It took about the same abount of time when I first set it up to use the cell number a year or so ago but I just recenty changed it to use my GV number (I'm starting to use that more than my cell number now).

I got a text message the day before it activated telling me that the process was underway and it should be active within 24 hours.  I want to say that it may have actually been 26-28 hours after that when the change actually went in and the caller-ID was switched over.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

austx5 wrote:

Thanks for the help!

Yes, the caller-ID was showing my iPhone number until it was switched.  It took about 36 hours from when I entered my code into the Skpe web page before the new number started to show as my caller-ID for outbound Skype calls.  It took about the same abount of time when I first set it up to use the cell number a year or so ago but I just recenty changed it to use my GV number (I'm starting to use that more than my cell number now).

I got a text message the day before it activated telling me that the process was underway and it should be active within 24 hours.  I want to say that it may have actually been 26-28 hours after that when the change actually went in and the caller-ID was switched over.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
6 of 10 (937 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2011 1:04:50 AM
(0)
Teacher
Finally, my Skype account posted my number tonight. Then, after a few more hours, it looks like my number is finally showing up! One more question. When you call out on Skype, does the receiver always see the number with the prefix of "+1(xxx)xxx-xxxx)" regardless if the number is saved in their directory under a name? Thanks again!
Finally, my Skype account posted my number tonight. Then, after a few more hours, it looks like my number is finally showing up! One more question. When you call out on Skype, does the receiver always see the number with the prefix of "+1(xxx)xxx-xxxx)" regardless if the number is saved in their directory under a name? Thanks again!

7 of 10 (923 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2011 7:27:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

austx5 wrote:

That I don't know, but I would guess that since it is sent by Skype, that they always send it in that format.  Since Skype handles intenational calling, and it seems to display all US & Canada numbers in their quasi-international format, I would guess that they send it that way in the caller-ID packet as well.  I seldom call myself from Skype, so I don't generally see what my caller-ID shows, but I do call a few systems that use caller-ID to automatically connect me, and those work when I call from Skype.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

austx5 wrote:

That I don't know, but I would guess that since it is sent by Skype, that they always send it in that format.  Since Skype handles intenational calling, and it seems to display all US & Canada numbers in their quasi-international format, I would guess that they send it that way in the caller-ID packet as well.  I seldom call myself from Skype, so I don't generally see what my caller-ID shows, but I do call a few systems that use caller-ID to automatically connect me, and those work when I call from Skype.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

8 of 10 (894 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2011 8:31:02 AM
(0)
Teacher

According to my friend (ATT user), the incoming Skype call read like a normal saved name on the phone (no "quasi-international format!").  We'll see...

Regarding GV, what app(s) are you using instead of Skype now?  I've setup my GV account, google talk and talkatone.  Still want to use my cell # for all, and not quite ready to switch to GV # or port it out.  Anything else like Skype with a caller ID feature for my cell out there?

Thanks again...complete noob on VoIP, until this week!

According to my friend (ATT user), the incoming Skype call read like a normal saved name on the phone (no "quasi-international format!").  We'll see...

Regarding GV, what app(s) are you using instead of Skype now?  I've setup my GV account, google talk and talkatone.  Still want to use my cell # for all, and not quite ready to switch to GV # or port it out.  Anything else like Skype with a caller ID feature for my cell out there?

Thanks again...complete noob on VoIP, until this week!

9 of 10 (886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2011 10:19:55 AM
(0)
Professor

I use either the official GV app or GV Mobile + depending on which one I pick when I am calling someone.  I have both installed, and tend to use GVMobile+ more often.

GV can be configure to show your GV number or the actual number you are calling from.

Keep in mind that GV is not voip.

The way I have mine configure, when I select to call someone from GVMobile+, GV calls me and then completes the call to the recipient.

I use either the official GV app or GV Mobile + depending on which one I pick when I am calling someone.  I have both installed, and tend to use GVMobile+ more often.

GV can be configure to show your GV number or the actual number you are calling from.

Keep in mind that GV is not voip.

The way I have mine configure, when I select to call someone from GVMobile+, GV calls me and then completes the call to the recipient.

10 of 10 (874 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments