Posted Aug 14, 2010
11:22:14 AM
View profile
Skype charges
Are Skype to Skype calls free over 3G? Will i be billed extra by att if I make a skype call from my iPhone?

Are Skype to Skype calls free over 3G? Will i be billed extra by att if I make a skype call from my iPhone?

Skype charges

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2010 11:58:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skype/id304878510?mt=8

"• Call Skype-to-Skype, wherever you are

Call your Skype contacts wherever you may be, either on 3G or WiFi, with near CD quality sound. It's completely free to call people on Skype over WiFi or 3G*.

*Operator data charges may apply"

Yes, they are free, except that they use data - and that can cost if you use up your allotted bandwidth.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skype/id304878510?mt=8

"• Call Skype-to-Skype, wherever you are

Call your Skype contacts wherever you may be, either on 3G or WiFi, with near CD quality sound. It's completely free to call people on Skype over WiFi or 3G*.

*Operator data charges may apply"

Yes, they are free, except that they use data - and that can cost if you use up your allotted bandwidth.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Skype charges

2 of 9 (8,677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2010 6:44:11 PM
(0)
Professor
In other words at the cost of your 2GB plan you burn that versus a 450+ minute voice plan and ring up your $25+ a month with overage charges.
In other words at the cost of your 2GB plan you burn that versus a 450+ minute voice plan and ring up your $25+ a month with overage charges.

3 of 9 (8,608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2010 10:40:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just discovered Skype after upgrading to my IP4 from a 3GS... glad I have unlimited data

I just discovered Skype after upgrading to my IP4 from a 3GS... glad I have unlimited data

4 of 9 (8,573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2010 11:51:32 PM
(0)
Scholar

If you don't have unlimited data, you can always use Wifi at home or at any free Wifi Spot. IT will save a lot on data...

If you don't have unlimited data, you can always use Wifi at home or at any free Wifi Spot. IT will save a lot on data...

5 of 9 (8,566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2010 5:53:05 AM
(0)
Mentor
thanks guys for your help. I also have unlimited but Im mostly on wifi anyways. I was just worried that AT&T might charge me extra for skype calls over 3G.
thanks guys for your help. I also have unlimited but Im mostly on wifi anyways. I was just worried that AT&T might charge me extra for skype calls over 3G.

6 of 9 (8,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2010 6:56:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I am a little concerned as well,  because if you read the "fine print" on the Skype plans, they tell you that your Skpe n 3G will use your Verizon voice minutes.  Yeah, there is an agreement between Skype & Verizon such that if you us Skype on a Verizon 3G cell phone, it wil actually be a cellular voice call rather than a 3G data call.  It isn't clear about what will happen on AT&T.  I have used Skype over 3G a little on my iPhone but I haven't used it enough to be sure it is using data or voice, but as others have said, it may be cheaper to just use your voice minutes than to use 3G data and go over on your data limit (if you don't have an unlimited data plan).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

I am a little concerned as well,  because if you read the "fine print" on the Skype plans, they tell you that your Skpe n 3G will use your Verizon voice minutes.  Yeah, there is an agreement between Skype & Verizon such that if you us Skype on a Verizon 3G cell phone, it wil actually be a cellular voice call rather than a 3G data call.  It isn't clear about what will happen on AT&T.  I have used Skype over 3G a little on my iPhone but I haven't used it enough to be sure it is using data or voice, but as others have said, it may be cheaper to just use your voice minutes than to use 3G data and go over on your data limit (if you don't have an unlimited data plan).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 9 (8,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2011 1:28:02 PM
(0)
Moved to new thread.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

8 of 9 (6,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2011 2:47:52 PM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

9 of 9 (6,438 Views)