Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 20, 2010
1:51:27 AM
View profile
Skyfire to retire WinMo browser

By the end of the year Skyfire is going to "kill" its WinMo and Nokia browsers and concentrate on its next gen browser for newer OS'

By the end of the year Skyfire is going to "kill" its WinMo and Nokia browsers and concentrate on its next gen browser for newer OS'

Skyfire to retire WinMo browser

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2010 6:39:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Skyfire killed the WM servers a few weeks ago (rendering the software useless), with no announcement whatsoever until last week.  This caused tons of confusion and bad feelings from WM users, judging by response on XDA.

The paid app on the iPhone app store is apparently killing it (reached the Top 5 apps within 3 hours of release).  So apparently, Steve Jobs is dead wrong about iPhone users not wanting Flash on their phones.  But its also disappointing to see a company that doesn't care about supporting it product, doing so well.  I understand that WM up to version 6.5 is all but obsolete, and Skyfire will likely support WP7.  But  they should have at least announced they were dropping support BEFORE actually doing it, not weeks after the fact.

Skyfire killed the WM servers a few weeks ago (rendering the software useless), with no announcement whatsoever until last week.  This caused tons of confusion and bad feelings from WM users, judging by response on XDA.

The paid app on the iPhone app store is apparently killing it (reached the Top 5 apps within 3 hours of release).  So apparently, Steve Jobs is dead wrong about iPhone users not wanting Flash on their phones.  But its also disappointing to see a company that doesn't care about supporting it product, doing so well.  I understand that WM up to version 6.5 is all but obsolete, and Skyfire will likely support WP7.  But  they should have at least announced they were dropping support BEFORE actually doing it, not weeks after the fact.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Skyfire to retire WinMo browser

2 of 3 (766 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2010 11:08:45 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by hidden_dragon on Nov 24, 2010 at 11:09:11 AM

redpoint73 wrote:

Agreed.  It's the WM users that made Skyfire popular and to drop them without warning was shady at best.  I have since started using Uzard and will more than likely not help promote Skyfire in the future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

redpoint73 wrote:

Agreed.  It's the WM users that made Skyfire popular and to drop them without warning was shady at best.  I have since started using Uzard and will more than likely not help promote Skyfire in the future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

Re: Skyfire to retire WinMo browser

[ Edited ]
3 of 3 (697 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments