Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 6, 2010
4:57:49 PM
View profile
Skyfire PULLS the Plug on WinMo Users (to make room for Iphone)
Edited by RicoLX on Nov 6, 2010 at 5:05:52 PM

I wouldnt believe it till I went to the Skyfire Forum to see why I can no longer log onto the app. Skyfire pulled the plug on winmo users so we can't access the servers any more.

the site said they've pulled windows mobile access to "make the app available" for Iphone users.

.....wow...and to think which users made skyfire big.

I wouldnt believe it till I went to the Skyfire Forum to see why I can no longer log onto the app. Skyfire pulled the plug on winmo users so we can't access the servers any more.

the site said they've pulled windows mobile access to "make the app available" for Iphone users.

.....wow...and to think which users made skyfire big.

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

Skyfire PULLS the Plug on WinMo Users (to make room for Iphone)

[ Edited ]
19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2010 5:11:29 PM
(0)
Professor

all users other than an Iphone user will get the "Sorry: Due to strong demand we cannot provide service at this time.  Please try again later.

(4.3.2.1_3001)

Bogus message that means according to Skyfire forum announcement, they've disabled access for all winmo users in order to accomodate new Iphone Users...... whut duh?

all users other than an Iphone user will get the "Sorry: Due to strong demand we cannot provide service at this time.  Please try again later.

(4.3.2.1_3001)

Bogus message that means according to Skyfire forum announcement, they've disabled access for all winmo users in order to accomodate new Iphone Users...... whut duh?

Re: Skyfire PULLS the Plug on WinMo Users (to make room for Iphone)

2 of 20 (1,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2010 3:00:14 AM
(0)
Expert

According to the announcements on the forum this is what the issue is

11/03

Today Skyfire made available Skyfire 2.0 for the iPhone and iPod Touch in Apple's app store. We are pleased to see a phenomenal response from iOS users.

The increase in launch traffic resulting from this new product may have some impact on server availability for Symbian and Windows Mobile users. You may see occasional "service not available" errors when using Skyfire 1.5.

Thank you for your patience and thanks for using Skyfire.

http://support.skyfire.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5970

According to the announcements on the forum this is what the issue is

11/03

Today Skyfire made available Skyfire 2.0 for the iPhone and iPod Touch in Apple's app store. We are pleased to see a phenomenal response from iOS users.

The increase in launch traffic resulting from this new product may have some impact on server availability for Symbian and Windows Mobile users. You may see occasional "service not available" errors when using Skyfire 1.5.

Thank you for your patience and thanks for using Skyfire.

http://support.skyfire.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5970

3 of 20 (1,725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2010 5:37:58 AM
(0)
Professor

Yes that is the statement on Skyfires site.  That along with the fact that skyfire is being sold as an app for Iphone (released a few days ago and sold out within hours) is pretty much a good sign that the 'beta' users (winmo platform) is a thing of the past. 

Yes that is the statement on Skyfires site.  That along with the fact that skyfire is being sold as an app for Iphone (released a few days ago and sold out within hours) is pretty much a good sign that the 'beta' users (winmo platform) is a thing of the past. 

4 of 20 (1,715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2010 7:13:22 AM
(0)
Guru

It seems odd that the high traffic would only cause server issues for the users stated and not for iOS users.  The very wording of the explanation seems to pretty much confirm what you're saying.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

It seems odd that the high traffic would only cause server issues for the users stated and not for iOS users.  The very wording of the explanation seems to pretty much confirm what you're saying.

5 of 20 (1,706 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2010 9:04:38 AM
(0)
Master

Well, the developers had to pull the software from the App Store after just a few hours because of overwhelming demand.  

As for the WinMo users, guess what?  You're using a dead platform if you're not using WPS7.  You're like the few stalwarts who continued using Mac OS 9 after OS X had been released.

Well, the developers had to pull the software from the App Store after just a few hours because of overwhelming demand.  

As for the WinMo users, guess what?  You're using a dead platform if you're not using WPS7.  You're like the few stalwarts who continued using Mac OS 9 after OS X had been released.

6 of 20 (1,695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2010 10:27:25 AM
(0)
Professor
well i guess us winmo stalwart will hold onto our phones until they pry them from our grabby fingers. im glad a beta app doesnt dictate to big AT&T to pull the plug on a given platform just because the app prefers iphone. i for one, will go windows7 anyday before locking into proprietary iphone hype.
well i guess us winmo stalwart will hold onto our phones until they pry them from our grabby fingers. im glad a beta app doesnt dictate to big AT&T to pull the plug on a given platform just because the app prefers iphone. i for one, will go windows7 anyday before locking into proprietary iphone hype.

7 of 20 (1,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2010 8:39:45 PM
(0)
Master

And you'll get less and less support from any official channels now that WM7 is out....I wouldn't be surprised if Skyfire pulls the plug on WM6.x support (if they can) once WM7 has gained wider traction.

I used every variant of Windows Mobile up through 6.1 before I gave up on it.  I'm a Mac user at home, and getting Windows Mobile devices to talk to and sync with Mac was always painful.  You can denigrate it in any narrow-minded way you want, but I NEVER used a Pocket PC or Windows Mobile device that was as functional and easy to use as my iPhone.

And you'll get less and less support from any official channels now that WM7 is out....I wouldn't be surprised if Skyfire pulls the plug on WM6.x support (if they can) once WM7 has gained wider traction.

I used every variant of Windows Mobile up through 6.1 before I gave up on it.  I'm a Mac user at home, and getting Windows Mobile devices to talk to and sync with Mac was always painful.  You can denigrate it in any narrow-minded way you want, but I NEVER used a Pocket PC or Windows Mobile device that was as functional and easy to use as my iPhone.

8 of 20 (1,633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 4:49:56 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Nov 8, 2010 at 5:03:59 AM

BrianfromNO: you have a very good point sir! It also would be nice if AT&T start phasing out or no longer offering winmo devices today unless they have some sort of upgrade plan in place . Otherwise, its bad business to continue to sell a product that will not have support .

BrianfromNO: you have a very good point sir! It also would be nice if AT&T start phasing out or no longer offering winmo devices today unless they have some sort of upgrade plan in place . Otherwise, its bad business to continue to sell a product that will not have support .

[ Edited ]
9 of 20 (1,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 8:11:11 AM
(0)
Scholar

I have to agree with Rico.  AT&T should no longer sell any Windows 6.X phones period.  Is a new Tilt 2 still $200.00?

I have to agree with Rico.  AT&T should no longer sell any Windows 6.X phones period.  Is a new Tilt 2 still $200.00?

10 of 20 (1,576 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 12:24:57 PM
(0)
Expert

A good alternative to Skyfire is Uzard, for all you WM stalwarts (like myself)!  Smiley Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

A good alternative to Skyfire is Uzard, for all you WM stalwarts (like myself)!  Smiley Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

11 of 20 (1,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 5:26:30 PM
(0)
Professor

hidden_dragon wrote:

* * * *  V I V A     L A   S T A L W A R T S ! * * * *

".... WE DONT DIE! WE MULTIPLY!!!!!....."

hidden_dragon wrote:

* * * *  V I V A     L A   S T A L W A R T S ! * * * *

".... WE DONT DIE! WE MULTIPLY!!!!!....."

12 of 20 (1,087 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 5:32:37 PM
(0)
Professor

UHmump95 wrote:

UHmump95, if you really want a new Tilt 2 and if its for a new account or you're using your upgrade, you might want to check out Amazon.com and see fi they have any deals on Tilt 2.  A friend got one a few months ago much cheaper than he would have from att.com. 

UHmump95 wrote:

UHmump95, if you really want a new Tilt 2 and if its for a new account or you're using your upgrade, you might want to check out Amazon.com and see fi they have any deals on Tilt 2.  A friend got one a few months ago much cheaper than he would have from att.com. 

13 of 20 (1,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2010 3:51:06 AM
(0)
Professor

Yep,Skyfire finally announced the official end of services for winmo OS

http://www.skyfire.com/press/blog/72-retirement

Yep,Skyfire finally announced the official end of services for winmo OS

http://www.skyfire.com/press/blog/72-retirement

Skyfire Officially Announce End Of Services For WinMo OS

14 of 20 (1,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 3:30:03 PM
(0)
Professor

Well, I was able to log onto the internet using Skyfire today. Posted this message from Skyfire. I am sure all connections will be pulled in December

Well, I was able to log onto the internet using Skyfire today. Posted this message from Skyfire. I am sure all connections will be pulled in December

Re: Skyfire Officially Announce End Of Services For WinMo OS

15 of 20 (937 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 3:49:19 PM
(0)
Master

That's a little shocking...although they did call out WPS7 as a possible next platform for which they'd develop, I didn't believe they'd pull the trigger quite so soon on WinMo.  You can probably blame that on Windows' badly slumping market share, and the fact that with the iPhone market they just didn't need WM support.  Shame for the WinMo users out there.

That's a little shocking...although they did call out WPS7 as a possible next platform for which they'd develop, I didn't believe they'd pull the trigger quite so soon on WinMo.  You can probably blame that on Windows' badly slumping market share, and the fact that with the iPhone market they just didn't need WM support.  Shame for the WinMo users out there.

Re: Skyfire Officially Announce End Of Services For WinMo OS

16 of 20 (933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2010 4:32:08 AM
(0)
Professor

BrianfromNO wrote:

I can't help wondering what the reason is for this. Is Skyfire that much better than Safari? Or is it that Flash support that nobody wants?

BrianfromNO wrote:

I can't help wondering what the reason is for this. Is Skyfire that much better than Safari? Or is it that Flash support that nobody wants?

17 of 20 (824 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2010 6:41:23 AM
(0)
Master

You really want to get another rhetorical lashing, don't you?  I never said nobody wanted it.  I said I don't want it.  I still think Flash is garbage, and now knowing what I do about Skyfire I'm not shocked that their servers crashed.  Theirs is a poor business & technology model, and I wouldn't be shocked if they continue to have trouble keeping up with the demands of iPhone users.

You do know Flash penetration is dropping, and fast, right?

You really want to get another rhetorical lashing, don't you?  I never said nobody wanted it.  I said I don't want it.  I still think Flash is garbage, and now knowing what I do about Skyfire I'm not shocked that their servers crashed.  Theirs is a poor business & technology model, and I wouldn't be shocked if they continue to have trouble keeping up with the demands of iPhone users.

18 of 20 (818 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2010 7:15:51 AM
(0)
Professor

BrianfromNO wrote:

LOL. Apparently one mans garbage is several men's treasure, but I was referring mainly to the Jobs approach. I'm not a big Flash fan myself. It slows my browsing down and I absolutely hate the way advertisers are using it to be intrusive with their adds. I quit using Skyfire with my WinMo device a while back because I found it to be a battery hog. I think it would be safe to say it is because of that Flash support.

BrianfromNO wrote:

LOL. Apparently one mans garbage is several men's treasure, but I was referring mainly to the Jobs approach. I'm not a big Flash fan myself. It slows my browsing down and I absolutely hate the way advertisers are using it to be intrusive with their adds. I quit using Skyfire with my WinMo device a while back because I found it to be a battery hog. I think it would be safe to say it is because of that Flash support.

19 of 20 (810 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 11:05:51 AM
(0)
Professor

Well cawl me 'uh sani-tation enginneer' cause i like skyfire and wish Adobe would build a flash that would work on the WM phones (yep im still in the dinosaur age of windows mobile )..  Even though skyfire made the announcement to discontinue servicing wm customes, i still am able to load SF and browse from my tillt.  Maybe its just a hit and miss as far as bandwidth but, each time, i am 'in'.

Well cawl me 'uh sani-tation enginneer' cause i like skyfire and wish Adobe would build a flash that would work on the WM phones (yep im still in the dinosaur age of windows mobile )..  Even though skyfire made the announcement to discontinue servicing wm customes, i still am able to load SF and browse from my tillt.  Maybe its just a hit and miss as far as bandwidth but, each time, i am 'in'.

20 of 20 (625 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments