Skyfire PULLS the Plug on WinMo Users (to make room for Iphone)

Professor

Skyfire PULLS the Plug on WinMo Users (to make room for Iphone)

[ Edited ]

I wouldnt believe it till I went to the Skyfire Forum to see why I can no longer log onto the app. Skyfire pulled the plug on winmo users so we can't access the servers any more.

the site said they've pulled windows mobile access to "make the app available" for Iphone users.

.....wow...and to think which users made skyfire big.

Message 1 of 20 (1,845 Views)
Master

Re: Skyfire Officially Announce End Of Services For WinMo OS

That's a little shocking...although they did call out WPS7 as a possible next platform for which they'd develop, I didn't believe they'd pull the trigger quite so soon on WinMo.  You can probably blame that on Windows' badly slumping market share, and the fact that with the iPhone market they just didn't need WM support.  Shame for the WinMo users out there.

Message 16 of 20 (997 Views)
Professor

Re: Skyfire PULLS the Plug on WinMo Users (to make room for Iphone)

BrianfromNO wrote:

Well, the developers had to pull the software from the App Store after just a few hours because of overwhelming demand.  

I can't help wondering what the reason is for this. Is Skyfire that much better than Safari? Or is it that Flash support that nobody wants?

Message 17 of 20 (888 Views)
Master

You really want to get another rhetorical lashing, don't you?  I never said nobody wanted it.  I said I don't want it.  I still think Flash is garbage, and now knowing what I do about Skyfire I'm not shocked that their servers crashed.  Theirs is a poor business & technology model, and I wouldn't be shocked if they continue to have trouble keeping up with the demands of iPhone users.

You do know Flash penetration is dropping, and fast, right?

Message 18 of 20 (882 Views)
Professor

BrianfromNO wrote:

You really want to get another rhetorical lashing, don't you?  I never said nobody wanted it.  I said I don't want it.  I still think Flash is garbage, and now knowing what I do about Skyfire I'm not shocked that their servers crashed.  Theirs is a poor business & technology model, and I wouldn't be shocked if they continue to have trouble keeping up with the demands of iPhone users.

You do know Flash penetration is dropping, and fast, right?

LOL. Apparently one mans garbage is several men's treasure, but I was referring mainly to the Jobs approach. I'm not a big Flash fan myself. It slows my browsing down and I absolutely hate the way advertisers are using it to be intrusive with their adds. I quit using Skyfire with my WinMo device a while back because I found it to be a battery hog. I think it would be safe to say it is because of that Flash support.

Message 19 of 20 (874 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Well cawl me 'uh sani-tation enginneer' cause i like skyfire and wish Adobe would build a flash that would work on the WM phones (yep im still in the dinosaur age of windows mobile )..  Even though skyfire made the announcement to discontinue servicing wm customes, i still am able to load SF and browse from my tillt.  Maybe its just a hit and miss as far as bandwidth but, each time, i am 'in'.

Message 20 of 20 (689 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.