Skyfire PULLS the Plug on WinMo Users (to make room for Iphone)

Professor

Skyfire PULLS the Plug on WinMo Users (to make room for Iphone)

[ Edited ]

I wouldnt believe it till I went to the Skyfire Forum to see why I can no longer log onto the app. Skyfire pulled the plug on winmo users so we can't access the servers any more.

the site said they've pulled windows mobile access to "make the app available" for Iphone users.

.....wow...and to think which users made skyfire big.

Message 1 of 20 (1,844 Views)
Professor

Re: Skyfire PULLS the Plug on WinMo Users (to make room for Iphone)

all users other than an Iphone user will get the "Sorry: Due to strong demand we cannot provide service at this time.  Please try again later.

(4.3.2.1_3001)

Bogus message that means according to Skyfire forum announcement, they've disabled access for all winmo users in order to accomodate new Iphone Users...... whut duh?

Message 2 of 20 (1,836 Views)
Expert

According to the announcements on the forum this is what the issue is

11/03

Today Skyfire made available Skyfire 2.0 for the iPhone and iPod Touch in Apple's app store. We are pleased to see a phenomenal response from iOS users.

The increase in launch traffic resulting from this new product may have some impact on server availability for Symbian and Windows Mobile users. You may see occasional "service not available" errors when using Skyfire 1.5.

Thank you for your patience and thanks for using Skyfire.

http://support.skyfire.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5970

Message 3 of 20 (1,791 Views)
Professor

Yes that is the statement on Skyfires site.  That along with the fact that skyfire is being sold as an app for Iphone (released a few days ago and sold out within hours) is pretty much a good sign that the 'beta' users (winmo platform) is a thing of the past. 

Message 4 of 20 (1,781 Views)

It seems odd that the high traffic would only cause server issues for the users stated and not for iOS users.  The very wording of the explanation seems to pretty much confirm what you're saying.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 20 (1,772 Views)
Master

Well, the developers had to pull the software from the App Store after just a few hours because of overwhelming demand.  

As for the WinMo users, guess what?  You're using a dead platform if you're not using WPS7.  You're like the few stalwarts who continued using Mac OS 9 after OS X had been released.

Message 6 of 20 (1,761 Views)
Professor

well i guess us winmo stalwart will hold onto our phones until they pry them from our grabby fingers. im glad a beta app doesnt dictate to big AT&T to pull the plug on a given platform just because the app prefers iphone. i for one, will go windows7 anyday before locking into proprietary iphone hype.
Message 7 of 20 (1,747 Views)
Master

And you'll get less and less support from any official channels now that WM7 is out....I wouldn't be surprised if Skyfire pulls the plug on WM6.x support (if they can) once WM7 has gained wider traction.

I used every variant of Windows Mobile up through 6.1 before I gave up on it.  I'm a Mac user at home, and getting Windows Mobile devices to talk to and sync with Mac was always painful.  You can denigrate it in any narrow-minded way you want, but I NEVER used a Pocket PC or Windows Mobile device that was as functional and easy to use as my iPhone.

Message 8 of 20 (1,699 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

BrianfromNO: you have a very good point sir! It also would be nice if AT&T start phasing out or no longer offering winmo devices today unless they have some sort of upgrade plan in place . Otherwise, its bad business to continue to sell a product that will not have support .

Message 9 of 20 (1,668 Views)
Scholar

I have to agree with Rico.  AT&T should no longer sell any Windows 6.X phones period.  Is a new Tilt 2 still $200.00?

Message 10 of 20 (1,642 Views)
Highlighted

A good alternative to Skyfire is Uzard, for all you WM stalwarts (like myself)!  Smiley Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Message 11 of 20 (1,209 Views)
Professor

hidden_dragon wrote:

A good alternative to Skyfire is Uzard, for all you WM stalwarts (like myself)!  Smiley Wink

* * * *  V I V A     L A   S T A L W A R T S ! * * * *

".... WE DONT DIE! WE MULTIPLY!!!!!....."

Message 12 of 20 (1,153 Views)
Professor

UHmump95 wrote:

I have to agree with Rico.  AT&T should no longer sell any Windows 6.X phones period.  Is a new Tilt 2 still $200.00?

UHmump95, if you really want a new Tilt 2 and if its for a new account or you're using your upgrade, you might want to check out Amazon.com and see fi they have any deals on Tilt 2.  A friend got one a few months ago much cheaper than he would have from att.com. 

Message 13 of 20 (1,152 Views)
Professor

Skyfire Officially Announce End Of Services For WinMo OS

Yep,Skyfire finally announced the official end of services for winmo OS

http://www.skyfire.com/press/blog/72-retirement

Message 14 of 20 (1,085 Views)
Professor

Re: Skyfire Officially Announce End Of Services For WinMo OS

Well, I was able to log onto the internet using Skyfire today. Posted this message from Skyfire. I am sure all connections will be pulled in December

Message 15 of 20 (1,003 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.