Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 14, 2011
11:13:11 AM
View profile
Siri on iPhone 4s doesn't appear to work when using microcell

Anyone else having this issue? I thought it could just be the siri server being overloaded, but the Siri function has been saying "can't connect to network" since it connected to my microcell...

Anyone else having this issue? I thought it could just be the siri server being overloaded, but the Siri function has been saying "can't connect to network" since it connected to my microcell...

Siri on iPhone 4s doesn't appear to work when using microcell

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 1:31:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

Im having the same problem "Retrieval Failed"  Have you figured out a solution yet?

Im having the same problem "Retrieval Failed"  Have you figured out a solution yet?

Re: Siri on iPhone 4s doesn't appear to work when using microcell

2 of 16 (15,015 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 2:35:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

My Micro Cell picked up right away and Siri works great...

My Micro Cell picked up right away and Siri works great...

3 of 16 (14,873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 5:27:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

Same issue. Worked for the first 5 minutes I had the phone. Then, stopped connecting to network and  would not accept commands. Simple tasks like, "Call ..." either are not recognized, take forever to complete, or simply stop working when finally engaged. Siri, at least on my phone, is worse than useless.

Same issue. Worked for the first 5 minutes I had the phone. Then, stopped connecting to network and  would not accept commands. Simple tasks like, "Call ..." either are not recognized, take forever to complete, or simply stop working when finally engaged. Siri, at least on my phone, is worse than useless.

4 of 16 (13,468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 5:36:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

just got my Microcell. Siri worked fine before it activated. Then I turned off rhe microcell and didn't have 3g but had wifi and no siri. I think the west coast just got home and are playing with it and overloading the network. Who knows. 

just got my Microcell. Siri worked fine before it activated. Then I turned off rhe microcell and didn't have 3g but had wifi and no siri. I think the west coast just got home and are playing with it and overloading the network. Who knows. 

5 of 16 (13,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 6:28:42 PM
(0)
Contributor
Well, I found that resetting my network settings to fix the microcell connection issue clears out your wifi password. Now that I'm on wifi, Siri is working again... Why is data so slow via microcell? Doesn't make sense to me
Well, I found that resetting my network settings to fix the microcell connection issue clears out your wifi password. Now that I'm on wifi, Siri is working again... Why is data so slow via microcell? Doesn't make sense to me

6 of 16 (12,877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 7:17:12 PM
(0)
Contributor
I had this today too. Called AT&T. Solution that worked for me:

>Settings
>General
>Reset
>Reset Network Settings
>Confirm

Phone restarted automatically and M-Cell appeared, yay!
I had this today too. Called AT&T. Solution that worked for me:

>Settings
>General
>Reset
>Reset Network Settings
>Confirm

Phone restarted automatically and M-Cell appeared, yay!

7 of 16 (12,373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 10:43:30 PM
(0)
Explorer

The Microcell is not a data device. It only uses data for texts & Multi Media Messages. WiFi is way faster for data.

If you have a Microcell, then you must have a high speed internet connection. Use that at home for data. In fact, when away from home WiFi networks should also be used because thay are fast and don't use any of one's data plan.

The Microcell is not a data device. It only uses data for texts & Multi Media Messages. WiFi is way faster for data.

If you have a Microcell, then you must have a high speed internet connection. Use that at home for data. In fact, when away from home WiFi networks should also be used because thay are fast and don't use any of one's data plan.

8 of 16 (11,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 11:11:24 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hi.

Everything is working fine for my 4S. It automatically found my MicroCell and Siri is working fine.

Don

Hi.

Everything is working fine for my 4S. It automatically found my MicroCell and Siri is working fine.

Don

9 of 16 (10,977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 11:33:44 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by ShaunMN on Oct 15, 2011 at 11:42:08 AM

Okay my Siri on my phone was working great in the big city... And now that I'm in a small town it isn't working! So I turned on my wifi....and it is still working very slow! Also... When Siri answers a question it calls me Jason. My name is Ashley . My husband is under my contacts as Jason....however he is not the name on my account.... I am.... So what's the deal? Any suggestions!!!

{personal content removed for safety}

Okay my Siri on my phone was working great in the big city... And now that I'm in a small town it isn't working! So I turned on my wifi....and it is still working very slow! Also... When Siri answers a question it calls me Jason. My name is Ashley . My husband is under my contacts as Jason....however he is not the name on my account.... I am.... So what's the deal? Any suggestions!!!

{personal content removed for safety}

[ Edited ]
10 of 16 (9,991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 3:04:03 PM
(0)
Contributor
My sense, living in an area where cellular service is weak to nonexistent is that SIRI only works on 3G.

Edge service is available at my home and when I use wireless or even have an edge signal, Siri does NOT WORK. Smiley Sad
My sense, living in an area where cellular service is weak to nonexistent is that SIRI only works on 3G.

Edge service is available at my home and when I use wireless or even have an edge signal, Siri does NOT WORK. Smiley Sad

11 of 16 (7,916 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 11:58:33 AM
(0)
Scholar

jacktors wrote:

Siri does not work on EDGE.

It is also subject to capacity problems at Apple. When you speak to Siri, the request is relayed to, and processed by, Apple's servers. They are getting slammed, and can't handle the load. It's not necessarily a reflection of a network problem with your phone.

jacktors wrote:

Siri does not work on EDGE.

It is also subject to capacity problems at Apple. When you speak to Siri, the request is relayed to, and processed by, Apple's servers. They are getting slammed, and can't handle the load. It's not necessarily a reflection of a network problem with your phone.

12 of 16 (7,686 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 6:56:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

What are you talking about? It states on their MicroCell front advertisement page that it extends your voice and 3G "DATA" network.

As for your reason to use the wifi instead of the MicroCell -- it's not that you shouldn't use Wifi, but if someone pays $$$ for the device, it is expected for the device to work properly and 100%.

I am too having issues with the MicroCell. Data will not work with it; however, the phone does connect to the MCell it looks like.

What are you talking about? It states on their MicroCell front advertisement page that it extends your voice and 3G "DATA" network.

As for your reason to use the wifi instead of the MicroCell -- it's not that you shouldn't use Wifi, but if someone pays $$$ for the device, it is expected for the device to work properly and 100%.

I am too having issues with the MicroCell. Data will not work with it; however, the phone does connect to the MCell it looks like.

13 of 16 (7,342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 9:46:16 AM
(0)
Contributor

So this worked for me after researching on people having issues with the MicroCell in previous version of iphones.

Turn off your phone then,

1. Go to http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/3gmicrocell.jsp?fbid=0xrKPCVjOTU

2. Click on Manage MicroCell settings

3. Disconnect Your 3G MicroCell Device from the settings page.  Follow it to the end.

4. Confirm your MCell has been disconnected from ATT -- there shouldnt' be any light, other than a solid power light

5. Register your MCell again.

6. Wait about 10-15 minutes for it to be registered.  You will get an email regarding activation was successful from ATT. Make sure on the MCell that all lights are up and solid

7. Turn on your phone, it should now connect to your MCell.  3G data will work as well.

Good luck.

So this worked for me after researching on people having issues with the MicroCell in previous version of iphones.

Turn off your phone then,

1. Go to http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/3gmicrocell.jsp?fbid=0xrKPCVjOTU

2. Click on Manage MicroCell settings

3. Disconnect Your 3G MicroCell Device from the settings page.  Follow it to the end.

4. Confirm your MCell has been disconnected from ATT -- there shouldnt' be any light, other than a solid power light

5. Register your MCell again.

6. Wait about 10-15 minutes for it to be registered.  You will get an email regarding activation was successful from ATT. Make sure on the MCell that all lights are up and solid

7. Turn on your phone, it should now connect to your MCell.  3G data will work as well.

Good luck.

14 of 16 (7,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 3:44:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

Today is the first day I'm having trouble with Siri saying she can't find the network - and I haven't gotten it fixed yet.  But, your other comment:  The name of the person who is in your contacts with the phone number of the cell phone you are carrying will be the name that Siri calls you.  You can go to contacts to edit the name to your own (I had to do the same). 

Today is the first day I'm having trouble with Siri saying she can't find the network - and I haven't gotten it fixed yet.  But, your other comment:  The name of the person who is in your contacts with the phone number of the cell phone you are carrying will be the name that Siri calls you.  You can go to contacts to edit the name to your own (I had to do the same). 

15 of 16 (6,257 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 1:39:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have had a microcell for the whole time Siri has been out and it works great.  I do have wireless network however.  I do not have much getting it to work on 3/4G alone.  I understand that Verizon users can get Siri to work outside of a wireless environment.  Need to probe deeper on this.

I have had a microcell for the whole time Siri has been out and it works great.  I do have wireless network however.  I do not have much getting it to work on 3/4G alone.  I understand that Verizon users can get Siri to work outside of a wireless environment.  Need to probe deeper on this.

16 of 16 (4,473 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments