Siri having trouble. Onnecting to network.

Mentor

Siri having trouble. Onnecting to network.

Why dies it say that?? Is the network down?
Message 1 of 22
Contributor

Re: Siri having trouble. Onnecting to network.

I have no idea! But Siri has been saying the same for me too all morning. I've tried just about everything to reset & fix the problem. Only thing I can guess is that it's now a problem on Apple's end & not mine. Hopefully it will be fixed soon Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 22

Siri is totally dead for me today at work. It was fine all weekend on wifi.
Message 3 of 22

I just learned why today... It's because Siri is in "beta," which is like testing. It's bound to have errors and stuff. Plus, so many people are trying to use it at once. So, the network isn't working as fast as it could.

Message 4 of 22
Scholar

batmanisbetter wrote:

I just learned why today... It's because Siri is in "beta," which is like testing. It's bound to have errors and stuff. Plus, so many people are trying to use it at once. So, the network isn't working as fast as it could.

Siri connects to Apple's servers and relays your request there for translation and response. The servers analyze the question, determine a response and relay that back to Siri.

The problem you are seeing is due to Apple's servers being overwhelmed and unable to process requests. Best advice is just to deal with it unti / whenever Apple gets off its behind and adds more server capacity to handle the load.

Message 5 of 22
Mentor

Ya everything is working fine data-wise except siri.  It doesn't matter whether or not it's 3G or wifi, siri is broken.  My guess is that the server it runs on is dead and because it's "beta" there is no redundancy. 

Message 6 of 22

guzinta_00 wrote:

Ya everything is working fine data-wise except siri.  It doesn't matter whether or not it's 3G or wifi, siri is broken.  My guess is that the server it runs on is dead and because it's "beta" there is no redundancy. 

Huh.  I've been using Siri all morning without any issues.  Just ran another test and everything worked just fine.  Though I'm also within spitting distance of Apple HQ, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Tags (1)
  • Tags:
Message 7 of 22
Mentor

Looks like
Its back up
Message 8 of 22
Mentor

archermoo wrote:

guzinta_00 wrote:

Huh.  I've been using Siri all morning without any issues.  Just ran another test and everything worked just fine.  Though I'm also within spitting distance of Apple HQ, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Funy... mine just started working too.  Sounds like it just got resolved, whatever the issue was...  It's beta, so I would expect some glitches.

Message 9 of 22
Mentor

I've been using Siri since I got my iPhone 4s... no problems

Message 10 of 22
Contributor

Do you realize the ramifications of this?  I was in my car, expecting to use the "Call person name, mobile" command and I could no longer do handsfree dialing.

Siri now apparently requires network connectivity to do basic voice commands.

This is going to cause atleast a few car crashes due to this loss of capability. 

Apple really messed up here.  It should revert back to the old voice control engine in the event that SIRI is down.

Message 11 of 22

xantari wrote:

Do you realize the ramifications of this?  I was in my car, expecting to use the "Call person name, mobile" command and I could no longer do handsfree dialing.

Siri now apparently requires network connectivity to do basic voice commands.

This is going to cause atleast a few car crashes due to this loss of capability. 

Apple really messed up here.  It should revert back to the old voice control engine in the event that SIRI is down.

If not being able to use voice control with their cell phone results in someone crashing their car, they're doing it wrong and probably shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place.

Message 12 of 22
Contributor

Your completely missing the point.  The possibility is there as you now have to look at your phone, unlock
it, navigate to the phone menu, find your contact by navigating through hundreds
of contacts, and dial. That is more then a few seconds of not looking at the
road. Those few seconds are precious in rush hour traffic where NOBODY maintains
proper vehicle distances. In the past, you can call people without even taking
your eyes of the road, just hold down the button on the phone and give it a
voice command.

The point you fail to relize is that we now have reduced functionlity with this
update and it is a major oversight in my opinion.

Message 13 of 22

It's definitely kind of absurd that I can't set a reminder without network connectivity.
Message 14 of 22
Mentor

Turn siri off and u can use the old voice. Command in car no worries. Although i never used it. I only call a few people in favorites lol.
Message 15 of 22
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support