Siri having trouble. Onnecting to network.

Re: Siri having trouble. Onnecting to network.

xantari wrote:

Your completely missing the point.  The possibility is there as you now have to look at your phone, unlock
it, navigate to the phone menu, find your contact by navigating through hundreds
of contacts, and dial. That is more then a few seconds of not looking at the
road. Those few seconds are precious in rush hour traffic where NOBODY maintains
proper vehicle distances. In the past, you can call people without even taking
your eyes of the road, just hold down the button on the phone and give it a
voice command.

The point you fail to relize is that we now have reduced functionlity with this
update and it is a major oversight in my opinion.

I didn't miss your point at all, though it seems you might have missed mine.  When dirving a car, the driver's primary responsibility is driving the car, and any other tasks are secondary.  If  they can't use their phone safely while driving, regardless of whether it is because a function they are used to having on the phone is working or not, it is their responsibility to not use it. Not being able to voice dial doesn't absolve someone of the responsibility of driving safely.

That being said, I agree that having voice control rely on network communication without having any available failover to a less robust but non-network dependent system seems like a poor choice on Apple's part.  I just disagree that someone getting into a wreck because they were playing with their phone instead of driving is somehow Apple's fault.

Message 16 of 22 (447 Views)
Mentor

I thought emails also show in notification not just texts and stock and weather? Am i wrong? My emails dont notify me yes push is enabled.
Message 17 of 22 (440 Views)
Contributor

Yes I agree it is the drivers responsibility.  I just want to hammer away at apple so that hopefully someone at Apple is reading this and will finally realize the design flaw they have introduced by making Siri work in this way.  The phone was perfectly fine without network connectivity and voice commands prior to Siri being integrated with iOS 5.  Perhaps now that they have dual core processors they can parse the message on one processor with the old voice control engine while simulatenously doing the Siri voice control engine that utilizes Siri's data center(s) and when Siri fails, the local processing engine will pick up where Siri failed.

Message 18 of 22 (439 Views)

xantari wrote:

Yes I agree it is the drivers responsibility.  I just want to hammer away at apple so that hopefully someone at Apple is reading this and will finally realize the design flaw they have introduced by making Siri work in this way.  The phone was perfectly fine without network connectivity and voice commands prior to Siri being integrated with iOS 5.  Perhaps now that they have dual core processors they can parse the message on one processor with the old voice control engine while simulatenously doing the Siri voice control engine that utilizes Siri's data center(s) and when Siri fails, the local processing engine will pick up where Siri failed.

Or potentially just set things up such that if the Siri servers are unreachable that the phone just fails over to using the old Voice Control system, processing the existing input if it can, or asking for a rephrase if it can't.

Message 19 of 22 (435 Views)
Mentor

Scroll down the notification bar weather is
Offline thats new. Stocks work lol.. I got
The email to show in notifications it was off.
Message 20 of 22 (430 Views)
Scholar

xantari wrote:

Your completely missing the point.  The possibility is there as you now have to look at your phone, unlock
it, navigate to the phone menu, find your contact by navigating through hundreds
of contacts, and dial. That is more then a few seconds of not looking at the
road. Those few seconds are precious in rush hour traffic where NOBODY maintains
proper vehicle distances. In the past, you can call people without even taking
your eyes of the road, just hold down the button on the phone and give it a
voice command.

The point you fail to relize is that we now have reduced functionlity with this
update and it is a major oversight in my opinion.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe you shouldn't be messing with your phone while you are driving, hands-free or not?

The possibility of having an accident drops dramatically when you just leave the phone on the seat / in your purse / etc., WHERE IT BELONGS WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING.

Message 21 of 22 (269 Views)
Highlighted
Former Community Manager

Hi folks, 

This is a great discussion but the point has been made and it's time to close the thread. 

As always, feel free to PM me if you have concerns/questions about this. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 22 of 22 (254 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.