Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 17, 2011
8:44:37 AM
Siri having trouble. Onnecting to network.
Why dies it say that?? Is the network down?
Why dies it say that?? Is the network down?

Siri having trouble. Onnecting to network.

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 8:56:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have no idea! But Siri has been saying the same for me too all morning. I've tried just about everything to reset & fix the problem. Only thing I can guess is that it's now a problem on Apple's end & not mine. Hopefully it will be fixed soon Smiley Happy

I have no idea! But Siri has been saying the same for me too all morning. I've tried just about everything to reset & fix the problem. Only thing I can guess is that it's now a problem on Apple's end & not mine. Hopefully it will be fixed soon Smiley Happy

Re: Siri having trouble. Onnecting to network.

2 of 22 (508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 9:36:17 AM
(0)
Tutor
Siri is totally dead for me today at work. It was fine all weekend on wifi.
Siri is totally dead for me today at work. It was fine all weekend on wifi.

3 of 22 (472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 9:42:48 AM
(0)
Teacher

I just learned why today... It's because Siri is in "beta," which is like testing. It's bound to have errors and stuff. Plus, so many people are trying to use it at once. So, the network isn't working as fast as it could.

I just learned why today... It's because Siri is in "beta," which is like testing. It's bound to have errors and stuff. Plus, so many people are trying to use it at once. So, the network isn't working as fast as it could.

4 of 22 (456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 9:57:29 AM
(0)
Scholar

batmanisbetter wrote:

Siri connects to Apple's servers and relays your request there for translation and response. The servers analyze the question, determine a response and relay that back to Siri.

The problem you are seeing is due to Apple's servers being overwhelmed and unable to process requests. Best advice is just to deal with it unti / whenever Apple gets off its behind and adds more server capacity to handle the load.

batmanisbetter wrote:

Siri connects to Apple's servers and relays your request there for translation and response. The servers analyze the question, determine a response and relay that back to Siri.

The problem you are seeing is due to Apple's servers being overwhelmed and unable to process requests. Best advice is just to deal with it unti / whenever Apple gets off its behind and adds more server capacity to handle the load.

5 of 22 (433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 10:03:57 AM
(0)
Mentor

Ya everything is working fine data-wise except siri.  It doesn't matter whether or not it's 3G or wifi, siri is broken.  My guess is that the server it runs on is dead and because it's "beta" there is no redundancy. 

Ya everything is working fine data-wise except siri.  It doesn't matter whether or not it's 3G or wifi, siri is broken.  My guess is that the server it runs on is dead and because it's "beta" there is no redundancy. 

6 of 22 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 10:21:30 AM
(0)
Guru

guzinta_00 wrote:

Huh.  I've been using Siri all morning without any issues.  Just ran another test and everything worked just fine.  Though I'm also within spitting distance of Apple HQ, so maybe that has something to do with it.

guzinta_00 wrote:

Huh.  I've been using Siri all morning without any issues.  Just ran another test and everything worked just fine.  Though I'm also within spitting distance of Apple HQ, so maybe that has something to do with it.

7 of 22 (407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 10:22:16 AM
(0)
Mentor
Looks like
Its back up
Looks like
Its back up

8 of 22 (404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 10:23:57 AM
(0)
Mentor

archermoo wrote:

guzinta_00 wrote:

Funy... mine just started working too.  Sounds like it just got resolved, whatever the issue was...  It's beta, so I would expect some glitches.

archermoo wrote:

guzinta_00 wrote:

Funy... mine just started working too.  Sounds like it just got resolved, whatever the issue was...  It's beta, so I would expect some glitches.

9 of 22 (400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 10:25:38 AM
(0)
Mentor

I've been using Siri since I got my iPhone 4s... no problems

I've been using Siri since I got my iPhone 4s... no problems

10 of 22 (394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 10:31:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

Do you realize the ramifications of this?  I was in my car, expecting to use the "Call person name, mobile" command and I could no longer do handsfree dialing.

Siri now apparently requires network connectivity to do basic voice commands.

This is going to cause atleast a few car crashes due to this loss of capability. 

Apple really messed up here.  It should revert back to the old voice control engine in the event that SIRI is down.

Do you realize the ramifications of this?  I was in my car, expecting to use the "Call person name, mobile" command and I could no longer do handsfree dialing.

This is going to cause atleast a few car crashes due to this loss of capability. 

Apple really messed up here.  It should revert back to the old voice control engine in the event that SIRI is down.

11 of 22 (475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 10:44:51 AM
(0)
Guru

xantari wrote:

If not being able to use voice control with their cell phone results in someone crashing their car, they're doing it wrong and probably shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place.

xantari wrote:

If not being able to use voice control with their cell phone results in someone crashing their car, they're doing it wrong and probably shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place.

12 of 22 (467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 10:51:39 AM
(0)
Contributor

Your completely missing the point.  The possibility is there as you now have to look at your phone, unlock
it, navigate to the phone menu, find your contact by navigating through hundreds
of contacts, and dial. That is more then a few seconds of not looking at the
road. Those few seconds are precious in rush hour traffic where NOBODY maintains
proper vehicle distances. In the past, you can call people without even taking
your eyes of the road, just hold down the button on the phone and give it a
voice command.

The point you fail to relize is that we now have reduced functionlity with this
update and it is a major oversight in my opinion.

Your completely missing the point.  The possibility is there as you now have to look at your phone, unlock
it, navigate to the phone menu, find your contact by navigating through hundreds
road. Those few seconds are precious in rush hour traffic where NOBODY maintains
voice command.

13 of 22 (461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 11:00:32 AM
(0)
Tutor
It's definitely kind of absurd that I can't set a reminder without network connectivity.
It's definitely kind of absurd that I can't set a reminder without network connectivity.

14 of 22 (451 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 11:17:07 AM
(0)
Mentor
Turn siri off and u can use the old voice. Command in car no worries. Although i never used it. I only call a few people in favorites lol.
Turn siri off and u can use the old voice. Command in car no worries. Although i never used it. I only call a few people in favorites lol.

15 of 22 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 11:21:54 AM
(0)
Guru

xantari wrote:

voice command.

I didn't miss your point at all, though it seems you might have missed mine.  When dirving a car, the driver's primary responsibility is driving the car, and any other tasks are secondary.  If  they can't use their phone safely while driving, regardless of whether it is because a function they are used to having on the phone is working or not, it is their responsibility to not use it. Not being able to voice dial doesn't absolve someone of the responsibility of driving safely.

That being said, I agree that having voice control rely on network communication without having any available failover to a less robust but non-network dependent system seems like a poor choice on Apple's part.  I just disagree that someone getting into a wreck because they were playing with their phone instead of driving is somehow Apple's fault.

xantari wrote:

voice command.

I didn't miss your point at all, though it seems you might have missed mine.  When dirving a car, the driver's primary responsibility is driving the car, and any other tasks are secondary.  If  they can't use their phone safely while driving, regardless of whether it is because a function they are used to having on the phone is working or not, it is their responsibility to not use it. Not being able to voice dial doesn't absolve someone of the responsibility of driving safely.

That being said, I agree that having voice control rely on network communication without having any available failover to a less robust but non-network dependent system seems like a poor choice on Apple's part.  I just disagree that someone getting into a wreck because they were playing with their phone instead of driving is somehow Apple's fault.

16 of 22 (422 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 11:26:34 AM
(0)
Mentor
I thought emails also show in notification not just texts and stock and weather? Am i wrong? My emails dont notify me yes push is enabled.
I thought emails also show in notification not just texts and stock and weather? Am i wrong? My emails dont notify me yes push is enabled.

17 of 22 (415 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 11:28:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yes I agree it is the drivers responsibility.  I just want to hammer away at apple so that hopefully someone at Apple is reading this and will finally realize the design flaw they have introduced by making Siri work in this way.  The phone was perfectly fine without network connectivity and voice commands prior to Siri being integrated with iOS 5.  Perhaps now that they have dual core processors they can parse the message on one processor with the old voice control engine while simulatenously doing the Siri voice control engine that utilizes Siri's data center(s) and when Siri fails, the local processing engine will pick up where Siri failed.

Yes I agree it is the drivers responsibility.  I just want to hammer away at apple so that hopefully someone at Apple is reading this and will finally realize the design flaw they have introduced by making Siri work in this way.  The phone was perfectly fine without network connectivity and voice commands prior to Siri being integrated with iOS 5.  Perhaps now that they have dual core processors they can parse the message on one processor with the old voice control engine while simulatenously doing the Siri voice control engine that utilizes Siri's data center(s) and when Siri fails, the local processing engine will pick up where Siri failed.

18 of 22 (414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 11:32:04 AM
(0)
Guru

xantari wrote:

Or potentially just set things up such that if the Siri servers are unreachable that the phone just fails over to using the old Voice Control system, processing the existing input if it can, or asking for a rephrase if it can't.

xantari wrote:

Or potentially just set things up such that if the Siri servers are unreachable that the phone just fails over to using the old Voice Control system, processing the existing input if it can, or asking for a rephrase if it can't.

19 of 22 (410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 11:37:39 AM
(0)
Mentor
Scroll down the notification bar weather is
Offline thats new. Stocks work lol.. I got
The email to show in notifications it was off.
Scroll down the notification bar weather is
Offline thats new. Stocks work lol.. I got
The email to show in notifications it was off.

20 of 22 (405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 12:06:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

xantari wrote:

voice command.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe you shouldn't be messing with your phone while you are driving, hands-free or not?

The possibility of having an accident drops dramatically when you just leave the phone on the seat / in your purse / etc., WHERE IT BELONGS WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING.

xantari wrote:

voice command.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe you shouldn't be messing with your phone while you are driving, hands-free or not?

The possibility of having an accident drops dramatically when you just leave the phone on the seat / in your purse / etc., WHERE IT BELONGS WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING.

21 of 22 (244 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 1:59:31 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hi folks, 

This is a great discussion but the point has been made and it's time to close the thread. 

As always, feel free to PM me if you have concerns/questions about this. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Hi folks, 

This is a great discussion but the point has been made and it's time to close the thread. 

As always, feel free to PM me if you have concerns/questions about this. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

22 of 22 (229 Views)