Siri and OS 5.0.1

Explorer

Siri and OS 5.0.1

Here's one I can't figure.  Siri worked perfecting when I got the 4S 32G.

Seems after I brought in the OS 5.0.1 update Siri doesn't work the same.  With 5.0 Siri understood my voice commands and responded verbally and on the screen.  After the the 5.0.1 update Siri still understands my voice commands but only responds on the screen.  No longer any verbal response.

And like so many others for new messages, when I ask Siri to read message the on screen response is "Reply or Read it again"  Siri doesn't display the message or read it out loud for me.

Could this be one of the measures Apple took with the 5.0.1 release to conserve power was to remove Siri's voice ?

I've checked all my settings and they appear to be correct.  Any ideas how to resolve this ?

Another issue I have ws when I turned on the "LED Flash for Alerts"  feature. It worked for a little while but not any more.  And yes I do have the ringer switch in the "off" position.  Maybe this went away too after 5.0.1 but I don't know for sure.

Message 1 of 12 (537 Views)
Professor

Re: Siri and OS 5.0.1

Do you have Siri's voice feedback set to "always"?
Message 2 of 12 (518 Views)

I have 5.0.1 installed on my iPhone 4s 16gb and Siri still works fine; voice and all.  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 12 (512 Views)
Explorer

yes it is set to "always"  and the volume is tuned up.  And I have have rebooted "Home" & "Power" almost daily

Message 4 of 12 (505 Views)
Explorer

I found the fix and will admit it was a foolish mistake.  And it's worth sharing with others as many have mentioned the "reply" or "read it again" when trying to get Siri to read a new messages.

It appears there is a separate volume setting for the ringer, the built-in earpiece, the plugged in headset, the speakerphone AND Siri.  That's 5 different volume settings I've run across so far that seems to work independently from the others. Apparently I had the volume turned all the way down on Siri, but when the ringer and built-in earpiece were functioning properly I thought I had a problem with Siri.

Anyways, after discovering the volume was turned all the way down on Siri I then turned it up on and it is now responding with audio to my voice verbal commands and it is also reading new text messages aloud.

AND the "LED Flash for Alerts" I think is working as well now.

Message 5 of 12 (476 Views)
Professor

If you have the ringer in the "off" position, does this mute Siri's voice, also?

Message 6 of 12 (477 Views)
Explorer

I'm surprised at the results.  With the ringer turned off Siri DOES give an audible response to my verbal request.

Message 7 of 12 (461 Views)
Mentor

Where did you find the settings for the different volume levels?

Message 8 of 12 (412 Views)
Explorer

the ringer volume setting should be the easy one to find.  Just from your home screen volume up and volume down on the side.

next easiest would be the built in earpiece.  While on a call just volume up and down again using the side controls.  Same for when you're using the speakerphone.

for Siri press and hold the "home" button. When Siri opens up use the side volume switch again.

If you're having problems I hope these tips solve it for you too.

Message 9 of 12 (384 Views)
Mentor

Thank youSmiley Tongue

Message 10 of 12 (381 Views)
ACE - Professor

I wonder if you can tell Siri to set her volume?

"Siri, set your volume to 50%"

"SIri, shut up"

LOL

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 12 (287 Views)
Professor

thats funny lol SIRI shut up..

Message 12 of 12 (281 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.