Sim Transferring

Contributor

Sim Transferring

Hey all, here is my situation that I am in.  I currently have an iPhone 4, and my father has an iPhone 3GS.  I recently purchased an unlocked, international Samsung Galaxy S II that works with AT&T 3G and 4G (HSPA+).  My dad is looking to use  my iPhone 4 as an upgrade from his old 3GS.  As you all now, the iPhone 4 uses a micro sim card which can not be used with the Galaxy S II (it uses a regular sized sim, just like the 3GS).  So, is there a way where I can bring both sim cards to AT&T and have them basically swap data between the two sims - so I could use his regular sim card, and he could use my micro sim for the iPhone 4. Thanks all.

P.S. - I do know of micro sim card adapters, but I'd rather take this directly to AT&T.

Message 1 of 7 (543 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Re: Sim Transferring

Simple solution... visit an AT&T Corp store and get a new SIM of the appropriate size for the device.

AT&T does not (and to the best of my knowledge) cannot reprogram the SIMs.

Message 2 of 7 (535 Views)
Contributor

Ah ok, so if I got a new sim, and put my number on it, what would be the solution for the iPhone 4? It would still have a micro-sim in it? thanks

Message 3 of 7 (526 Views)

AndyBird213 wrote:

Ah ok, so if I got a new sim, and put my number on it, what would be the solution for the iPhone 4? It would still have a micro-sim in it? Thanks

Yes, go to your local AT&T Cooperate Store and request a Micro-SIM for your Dad (have him go with you if he's on his own account or if he is your account's holder). While you're there, request a new SIM card for yourself (they generally don't "trade" SIM cards with others, they'll give you a new one.) 

Message 4 of 7 (519 Views)
Contributor

Ok, awesome thanks so much for the help, I will request for 2 new sims at my AT&T store.

Message 5 of 7 (510 Views)

AndyBird213 wrote:

Ok, awesome thanks so much for the help, I will request for 2 new sims at my AT&T store.

Great! They may charge you for them, but generally that's a non-issue and they don't, just explain your situation.

Message 6 of 7 (497 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

satchev wrote:

Simple solution... visit an AT&T Corp store and get a new SIM of the appropriate size for the device.

AT&T does not (and to the best of my knowledge) cannot reprogram the SIMs.

This is correct. Once a SIM has been activated and or deactivated, it cannot be reissued to another line. It is useless after that.
So the best option is to go to an ATT store and have them issue new SIM cards.
Plus if i recall the "4G" phones need the newer "4G" SIM cards. (Its a regular SIM) 

Message 7 of 7 (398 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.