Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 24, 2011
7:47:26 PM
View profile
Sim Activation

I am a Canadian Resident, and will be visiting the USA next week with my unlocked Samsung I9000M.

I purchased an unactivated ATT sim card, and Activated today on the AT&T website, which reported a successful activation. 

But when I put the sim in my phone it reports that it has an unknown phone number, and cannot connect to any network. I am within coverage from one of AT&T roaming partners.

Do I need to be in AT&T coverage to complete the activation of the sim?

I am a Canadian Resident, and will be visiting the USA next week with my unlocked Samsung I9000M.

I purchased an unactivated ATT sim card, and Activated today on the AT&T website, which reported a successful activation. 

But when I put the sim in my phone it reports that it has an unknown phone number, and cannot connect to any network. I am within coverage from one of AT&T roaming partners.

Do I need to be in AT&T coverage to complete the activation of the sim?

Sim Activation

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2011 8:29:02 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Planet-Ed on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:29:46 PM

I assume you mean you have a pre-paid SIM.  There is no roaming with the ATT Pre-Paid GoPhone in Canada so it would not be able to register on the network while your up there.  ATT only has roaming agreement with the Post-Paid service in Canada.

When you get to the US you should be fine if I remember correctly.  If you still have issue just stop into an ATT store and they should be able to help you get going.

I assume you mean you have a pre-paid SIM.  There is no roaming with the ATT Pre-Paid GoPhone in Canada so it would not be able to register on the network while your up there.  ATT only has roaming agreement with the Post-Paid service in Canada.

When you get to the US you should be fine if I remember correctly.  If you still have issue just stop into an ATT store and they should be able to help you get going.

Re: Sim Activation

[ Edited ]
2 of 3 (1,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2011 9:12:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

The sim is not a Go phone sim, it is orange, and on the punchout card it says "The New at&t" with a blue 3g logo,  but I did activate it with a prepaid account.

The sim is not a Go phone sim, it is orange, and on the punchout card it says "The New at&t" with a blue 3g logo,  but I did activate it with a prepaid account.

Re: Sim Activation

3 of 3 (1,063 Views)