Significant data SENT from my I-Phone - Why?

Contributor

Significant data SENT from my I-Phone - Why?

- My first forum post - 

I am traveling to Spain next month.  I planned to purchase a data plan so that I can use Google maps and a few other apps.  Most data use will be in WI-FI hotspots.  In order to guess which plan will be appropriate to me, I began to closely monitor my use.

I have WI-FI in my house and most of my use is not tracked on the I-Phone Usage statistics or my monthly bill.  However, I noted that I am averaging over 130MB of monthly data usage over the AT&T network.  This amount surprised me.  Even more, 95% of these MBs are happening between midnight and 2am while I am asleep.  They are all SENT messages from my phone to "Media Net" (on bill) or just as "Data Transfer" on-line.  Why should my phone send 4-14MBs into the ether each night?  No data comes down from the ether (over 3G anyway, perhaps over wireless).  

I've read on-line that some Apps have Privacy Policy that could enable them to send my surfing data (account numbers?!) etc.  Is one doing this every night?  How could I tell which app it is without deleting and re-installing them all?  (I recognize that if an App was using the WI-FI connection, I'd never know)

More practically, how can I use the I-Phone in Europe if I rack up 100+MBs without doing anything? I'd have to pay big bucks on their plan just to get this background data covered.

PS We have 3 I-Phones in this family.  They are all accruing strange SENT data usage.  Mine is the smallest.  I talked to both AT&T and Apple Tech Support.  They had no suggestions regarding why the phones would behave this way.

Thank you in advance for your insight or suggestions.

Message 1 of 29
Master

Re: Significant data SENT from my I-Phone - Why?

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/popups/international-iphone-tips.jsp

• Turn Fetch New Data "OFF": Check email and sync contacts and calendars manually instead of having the data pushed to your iPhone automatically. This way you can control the flow of data coming to your iPhone.
    To turn off the Auto-Check functionality, tap on Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data, Change Push to "OFF" and select option Fetch Manually.
  • Message 2 of 29

Turn off data roaming when in Spain.  You can even do it just at night.

Message 3 of 29
    Contributor

Hi DWC1.  Thanks for the reply.

My problem is with data leaving my phone, not coming in.  I had my email set up to Push and Fetch other data every 30 minutes.  If Fetch were my problem, presumably I would see multiple entries per night.  There's only one, around 1 am, and it is for data leaving my phone, not arriving.

I deleted a number of apps last night and did not have the problem last night.  I have read more about "Pinch Media" and other companies that "phone home" within apps.  I suspect that an app was sending some data about my use.  I will continue to check my data use each day.  If I have solved the problem, I will get the data plan and will turn off data roaming and Fetch new data when I am in Spain. 

Message 4 of 29
    Scholar

Minnesota_Mom,

If I'm not mistaken, on the bill all data shows as sent - I don't think any of it shows as incoming or received. Regardless, if your going to Spain you'll want to turn the data off entirely when your not using it.

This can be found under Settings -> General -> Network -> Data Roaming = OFF

You can monitor the usage in Settings -> General -> Usage, you can even reset the usage before you go over there to track it down while your roaming.

Message 5 of 29
    Scholar

Also, take a peek at this link - when the page loads, look at the left side. Your looking for "iPhone Travel Tips". Click on that, it will have all the information about what I was talking about.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/

Message 6 of 29
    Contributor

I see this on my iPhone and my wife’s iPhone!! I would like to switch to ATT’s $15 per month plan for 200 megabytes, but the only reason that I can’t is because of the daily automatic upload that occurs. I have no idea what it is transmitting. I have WiFi enabled on both, so it should use the WiFi instead of the ATT network when I am at home. As much as 130 MB has transfered at one time. It is almost always around 1:15AM CDT. Our phones are not setup to fetch emails/calendar autoamtically (that was the only idea the ATT rep had). Is there a specific app that we have the might be doing this? Does anyone have an idea of what this is?

Message 7 of 29
    Contributor

If the 'fetch' feature was the issue, the data would be transferring consistantly throughout the day. This is happenning to me as well and it is ALWAYS around 1:15AM CDT. I set fetch to manual and it still occurs. Also, why would it not use the WiFi which is always enabled for me?

Message 8 of 29
    Explorer

Every night for me, 11:26pm'ish is a data charge.  Sometimes 30kb up to 460kb...like clockwork.  Push/fetch is always off.  My phone is by my bed (use it as an alarm) and wi-fi is activated.  Why wouldn't that be on wi-fi?

I too am debating the 200mb option for $15/mo.  My last few months...the max for me one month was 36mb.  I average in the 20mb's monthly.  Even if I went over, they charge $15 for an additional 200mb.  Same as what I'm paying now...$30/mo.  So confusing...lol!

Message 9 of 29
    Master

My phone is by my bed (use it as an alarm) and wi-fi is activated.  Why wouldn't that be on wi-fi?

When the phone is in sleep/standby mode, WiFi is disabled and the phone reverts back to cellular data.  You can see this by leaving your phone in standby for a few minutes and then turning the phone back on and you will see it switch from cellular to WiFi.

No need to have both radios on the entire time esp when in standby.  You need to cellular radio on so you can still receive calls, texts; so the WiFi radio is the logical choice to turn off to reduce power usage during standby.

We're going to have to wait and see how the new iOS4 effect people.  Before when the data plans were unlimited it didn't matter how much data was used.  Normally there is much data used at night unless you left an app running (like safari on a webpage that kept refreshing) or you got lots of email.  However now things will become interesting as iOS4 will have Apples version of multi-tasking.  So there is a lot larger chance people will leave apps running in the background and a larger change of them eating away at the data.  People are going to need to be a lot more aware of what their phone is doing.

Message 10 of 29
    Tutor

I also am concerned about this nightly data transfer.  Both my iphone and my son's iphone experience the same phenomenon.  Please someone explain why data is transferring.  It will be close to impossible for me to stay under the 200 MB when between 1 and 12 MB transfers each and every night at around 2:00 am East Coast Time.

I just spoke with a customer service rep and she wants me to turn the phone off tonight to help identify what is triggering the transfer.

Ric.

Message 11 of 29
    Scholar

If you have Push and Fetch on you might want to consider turning it off. I'll look into this as well... this is very important.

ADD>> Do you... by any chance... have MobileMe?
    And if you do near your limit you can shut off cellular data... but then the iPhone pretty much becomes useless doesn't it?

Message 12 of 29
    Highlighted
    Teacher

I just noticed the same ting this week when I looked at a detail of a bill.  At 2:15 am EDT data is sent.  I don't have push or fetch enabled.  I manually check email.  I'm certainly never awake at that time, and the house is wireless.  The phone isn't turned off at night, just asleep.  I thought I was the only one who wouldn't know what it was, so I didn't ask.  Folks here are not always the friendliest with questions they deem stupid.

Message 13 of 29
    Tutor

Last week I turned off the phone overnight and the data transfer did not take place so we know it isn't simply an accounting issue within the ATT side of the monitoring.  Once the phone was turned on data transferred as usual.

I have unloaded all applications and the data transfer has stopped.  I will now begin to load applications and watch for the data transfer to begin again. 

Message 14 of 29

It seems no one has been able to get a definitive explanation of this activity so far.  Relevant discussions are here:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple/iphone-2am-unauthorized-data-usage/td-p/1959513

and here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2450738

Message 15 of 29
    You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
    Share this topic
    Additional Support