Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 11, 2010
1:49:18 PM
View profile
Significant data SENT from my I-Phone - Why?

- My first forum post - 

I am traveling to Spain next month.  I planned to purchase a data plan so that I can use Google maps and a few other apps.  Most data use will be in WI-FI hotspots.  In order to guess which plan will be appropriate to me, I began to closely monitor my use.

I have WI-FI in my house and most of my use is not tracked on the I-Phone Usage statistics or my monthly bill.  However, I noted that I am averaging over 130MB of monthly data usage over the AT&T network.  This amount surprised me.  Even more, 95% of these MBs are happening between midnight and 2am while I am asleep.  They are all SENT messages from my phone to "Media Net" (on bill) or just as "Data Transfer" on-line.  Why should my phone send 4-14MBs into the ether each night?  No data comes down from the ether (over 3G anyway, perhaps over wireless).  

I've read on-line that some Apps have Privacy Policy that could enable them to send my surfing data (account numbers?!) etc.  Is one doing this every night?  How could I tell which app it is without deleting and re-installing them all?  (I recognize that if an App was using the WI-FI connection, I'd never know)

More practically, how can I use the I-Phone in Europe if I rack up 100+MBs without doing anything? I'd have to pay big bucks on their plan just to get this background data covered.

PS We have 3 I-Phones in this family.  They are all accruing strange SENT data usage.  Mine is the smallest.  I talked to both AT&T and Apple Tech Support.  They had no suggestions regarding why the phones would behave this way.

Thank you in advance for your insight or suggestions.

- My first forum post - 

I am traveling to Spain next month.  I planned to purchase a data plan so that I can use Google maps and a few other apps.  Most data use will be in WI-FI hotspots.  In order to guess which plan will be appropriate to me, I began to closely monitor my use.

I have WI-FI in my house and most of my use is not tracked on the I-Phone Usage statistics or my monthly bill.  However, I noted that I am averaging over 130MB of monthly data usage over the AT&T network.  This amount surprised me.  Even more, 95% of these MBs are happening between midnight and 2am while I am asleep.  They are all SENT messages from my phone to "Media Net" (on bill) or just as "Data Transfer" on-line.  Why should my phone send 4-14MBs into the ether each night?  No data comes down from the ether (over 3G anyway, perhaps over wireless).  

I've read on-line that some Apps have Privacy Policy that could enable them to send my surfing data (account numbers?!) etc.  Is one doing this every night?  How could I tell which app it is without deleting and re-installing them all?  (I recognize that if an App was using the WI-FI connection, I'd never know)

More practically, how can I use the I-Phone in Europe if I rack up 100+MBs without doing anything? I'd have to pay big bucks on their plan just to get this background data covered.

PS We have 3 I-Phones in this family.  They are all accruing strange SENT data usage.  Mine is the smallest.  I talked to both AT&T and Apple Tech Support.  They had no suggestions regarding why the phones would behave this way.

Thank you in advance for your insight or suggestions.

Significant data SENT from my I-Phone - Why?

28 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(28)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2010 2:37:46 PM
(0)
Master

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/popups/international-iphone-tips.jsp

• Turn Fetch New Data "OFF": Check email and sync contacts and calendars manually instead of having the data pushed to your iPhone automatically. This way you can control the flow of data coming to your iPhone.
    To turn off the Auto-Check functionality, tap on Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data, Change Push to "OFF" and select option Fetch Manually.
  • http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/popups/international-iphone-tips.jsp

• Turn Fetch New Data "OFF": Check email and sync contacts and calendars manually instead of having the data pushed to your iPhone automatically. This way you can control the flow of data coming to your iPhone.
    To turn off the Auto-Check functionality, tap on Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data, Change Push to "OFF" and select option Fetch Manually.
  • Re: Significant data SENT from my I-Phone - Why?

2 of 29 (3,116 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 11, 2010 3:16:53 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Turn off data roaming when in Spain.  You can even do it just at night.

Turn off data roaming when in Spain.  You can even do it just at night.

Re: Significant data SENT from my I-Phone - Why?

3 of 29 (3,097 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 12, 2010 10:58:26 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Hi DWC1.  Thanks for the reply.

My problem is with data leaving my phone, not coming in.  I had my email set up to Push and Fetch other data every 30 minutes.  If Fetch were my problem, presumably I would see multiple entries per night.  There's only one, around 1 am, and it is for data leaving my phone, not arriving.

I deleted a number of apps last night and did not have the problem last night.  I have read more about "Pinch Media" and other companies that "phone home" within apps.  I suspect that an app was sending some data about my use.  I will continue to check my data use each day.  If I have solved the problem, I will get the data plan and will turn off data roaming and Fetch new data when I am in Spain. 

Hi DWC1.  Thanks for the reply.

My problem is with data leaving my phone, not coming in.  I had my email set up to Push and Fetch other data every 30 minutes.  If Fetch were my problem, presumably I would see multiple entries per night.  There's only one, around 1 am, and it is for data leaving my phone, not arriving.

I deleted a number of apps last night and did not have the problem last night.  I have read more about "Pinch Media" and other companies that "phone home" within apps.  I suspect that an app was sending some data about my use.  I will continue to check my data use each day.  If I have solved the problem, I will get the data plan and will turn off data roaming and Fetch new data when I am in Spain. 

4 of 29 (3,025 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 12, 2010 11:18:48 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Edited by spmfox on May 12, 2010 at 11:20:41 AM

Minnesota_Mom,

If I'm not mistaken, on the bill all data shows as sent - I don't think any of it shows as incoming or received. Regardless, if your going to Spain you'll want to turn the data off entirely when your not using it.

This can be found under Settings -> General -> Network -> Data Roaming = OFF

You can monitor the usage in Settings -> General -> Usage, you can even reset the usage before you go over there to track it down while your roaming.

Minnesota_Mom,

If I'm not mistaken, on the bill all data shows as sent - I don't think any of it shows as incoming or received. Regardless, if your going to Spain you'll want to turn the data off entirely when your not using it.

This can be found under Settings -> General -> Network -> Data Roaming = OFF

You can monitor the usage in Settings -> General -> Usage, you can even reset the usage before you go over there to track it down while your roaming.

[ Edited ]
    5 of 29 (3,021 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 12, 2010 11:31:30 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

Also, take a peek at this link - when the page loads, look at the left side. Your looking for "iPhone Travel Tips". Click on that, it will have all the information about what I was talking about.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/

Also, take a peek at this link - when the page loads, look at the left side. Your looking for "iPhone Travel Tips". Click on that, it will have all the information about what I was talking about.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/

6 of 29 (3,007 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 9, 2010 8:14:06 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I see this on my iPhone and my wife’s iPhone!! I would like to switch to ATT’s $15 per month plan for 200 megabytes, but the only reason that I can’t is because of the daily automatic upload that occurs. I have no idea what it is transmitting. I have WiFi enabled on both, so it should use the WiFi instead of the ATT network when I am at home. As much as 130 MB has transfered at one time. It is almost always around 1:15AM CDT. Our phones are not setup to fetch emails/calendar autoamtically (that was the only idea the ATT rep had). Is there a specific app that we have the might be doing this? Does anyone have an idea of what this is?

I see this on my iPhone and my wife’s iPhone!! I would like to switch to ATT’s $15 per month plan for 200 megabytes, but the only reason that I can’t is because of the daily automatic upload that occurs. I have no idea what it is transmitting. I have WiFi enabled on both, so it should use the WiFi instead of the ATT network when I am at home. As much as 130 MB has transfered at one time. It is almost always around 1:15AM CDT. Our phones are not setup to fetch emails/calendar autoamtically (that was the only idea the ATT rep had). Is there a specific app that we have the might be doing this? Does anyone have an idea of what this is?

7 of 29 (2,688 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 9, 2010 8:16:35 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

If the 'fetch' feature was the issue, the data would be transferring consistantly throughout the day. This is happenning to me as well and it is ALWAYS around 1:15AM CDT. I set fetch to manual and it still occurs. Also, why would it not use the WiFi which is always enabled for me?

If the 'fetch' feature was the issue, the data would be transferring consistantly throughout the day. This is happenning to me as well and it is ALWAYS around 1:15AM CDT. I set fetch to manual and it still occurs. Also, why would it not use the WiFi which is always enabled for me?

8 of 29 (2,685 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 9, 2010 8:35:56 PM
    (0)
    Explorer

Every night for me, 11:26pm'ish is a data charge.  Sometimes 30kb up to 460kb...like clockwork.  Push/fetch is always off.  My phone is by my bed (use it as an alarm) and wi-fi is activated.  Why wouldn't that be on wi-fi?

I too am debating the 200mb option for $15/mo.  My last few months...the max for me one month was 36mb.  I average in the 20mb's monthly.  Even if I went over, they charge $15 for an additional 200mb.  Same as what I'm paying now...$30/mo.  So confusing...lol!

Every night for me, 11:26pm'ish is a data charge.  Sometimes 30kb up to 460kb...like clockwork.  Push/fetch is always off.  My phone is by my bed (use it as an alarm) and wi-fi is activated.  Why wouldn't that be on wi-fi?

I too am debating the 200mb option for $15/mo.  My last few months...the max for me one month was 36mb.  I average in the 20mb's monthly.  Even if I went over, they charge $15 for an additional 200mb.  Same as what I'm paying now...$30/mo.  So confusing...lol!

9 of 29 (2,669 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 9, 2010 10:18:12 PM
    (0)
    Master

My phone is by my bed (use it as an alarm) and wi-fi is activated.  Why wouldn't that be on wi-fi?

When the phone is in sleep/standby mode, WiFi is disabled and the phone reverts back to cellular data.  You can see this by leaving your phone in standby for a few minutes and then turning the phone back on and you will see it switch from cellular to WiFi.

No need to have both radios on the entire time esp when in standby.  You need to cellular radio on so you can still receive calls, texts; so the WiFi radio is the logical choice to turn off to reduce power usage during standby.

We're going to have to wait and see how the new iOS4 effect people.  Before when the data plans were unlimited it didn't matter how much data was used.  Normally there is much data used at night unless you left an app running (like safari on a webpage that kept refreshing) or you got lots of email.  However now things will become interesting as iOS4 will have Apples version of multi-tasking.  So there is a lot larger chance people will leave apps running in the background and a larger change of them eating away at the data.  People are going to need to be a lot more aware of what their phone is doing.

My phone is by my bed (use it as an alarm) and wi-fi is activated.  Why wouldn't that be on wi-fi?

When the phone is in sleep/standby mode, WiFi is disabled and the phone reverts back to cellular data.  You can see this by leaving your phone in standby for a few minutes and then turning the phone back on and you will see it switch from cellular to WiFi.

No need to have both radios on the entire time esp when in standby.  You need to cellular radio on so you can still receive calls, texts; so the WiFi radio is the logical choice to turn off to reduce power usage during standby.

We're going to have to wait and see how the new iOS4 effect people.  Before when the data plans were unlimited it didn't matter how much data was used.  Normally there is much data used at night unless you left an app running (like safari on a webpage that kept refreshing) or you got lots of email.  However now things will become interesting as iOS4 will have Apples version of multi-tasking.  So there is a lot larger chance people will leave apps running in the background and a larger change of them eating away at the data.  People are going to need to be a lot more aware of what their phone is doing.

10 of 29 (2,631 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 23, 2010 7:20:40 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I also am concerned about this nightly data transfer.  Both my iphone and my son's iphone experience the same phenomenon.  Please someone explain why data is transferring.  It will be close to impossible for me to stay under the 200 MB when between 1 and 12 MB transfers each and every night at around 2:00 am East Coast Time.

I just spoke with a customer service rep and she wants me to turn the phone off tonight to help identify what is triggering the transfer.

Ric.

I also am concerned about this nightly data transfer.  Both my iphone and my son's iphone experience the same phenomenon.  Please someone explain why data is transferring.  It will be close to impossible for me to stay under the 200 MB when between 1 and 12 MB transfers each and every night at around 2:00 am East Coast Time.

I just spoke with a customer service rep and she wants me to turn the phone off tonight to help identify what is triggering the transfer.

Ric.

11 of 29 (1,795 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 23, 2010 7:24:33 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Edited by currahee2100 on Jun 23, 2010 at 7:32:02 AM

If you have Push and Fetch on you might want to consider turning it off. I'll look into this as well... this is very important.

ADD>> Do you... by any chance... have MobileMe?
    And if you do near your limit you can shut off cellular data... but then the iPhone pretty much becomes useless doesn't it?

If you have Push and Fetch on you might want to consider turning it off. I'll look into this as well... this is very important.

ADD>> Do you... by any chance... have MobileMe?
    And if you do near your limit you can shut off cellular data... but then the iPhone pretty much becomes useless doesn't it?

[ Edited ]
    12 of 29 (1,782 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 23, 2010 7:52:11 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

I just noticed the same ting this week when I looked at a detail of a bill.  At 2:15 am EDT data is sent.  I don't have push or fetch enabled.  I manually check email.  I'm certainly never awake at that time, and the house is wireless.  The phone isn't turned off at night, just asleep.  I thought I was the only one who wouldn't know what it was, so I didn't ask.  Folks here are not always the friendliest with questions they deem stupid.

I just noticed the same ting this week when I looked at a detail of a bill.  At 2:15 am EDT data is sent.  I don't have push or fetch enabled.  I manually check email.  I'm certainly never awake at that time, and the house is wireless.  The phone isn't turned off at night, just asleep.  I thought I was the only one who wouldn't know what it was, so I didn't ask.  Folks here are not always the friendliest with questions they deem stupid.

13 of 29 (1,761 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 29, 2010 10:52:24 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Edited by rschild on Jun 29, 2010 at 10:54:30 AM

Last week I turned off the phone overnight and the data transfer did not take place so we know it isn't simply an accounting issue within the ATT side of the monitoring.  Once the phone was turned on data transferred as usual.

I have unloaded all applications and the data transfer has stopped.  I will now begin to load applications and watch for the data transfer to begin again. 

Last week I turned off the phone overnight and the data transfer did not take place so we know it isn't simply an accounting issue within the ATT side of the monitoring.  Once the phone was turned on data transferred as usual.

I have unloaded all applications and the data transfer has stopped.  I will now begin to load applications and watch for the data transfer to begin again. 

[ Edited ]
    14 of 29 (1,706 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 29, 2010 2:05:20 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

It seems no one has been able to get a definitive explanation of this activity so far.  Relevant discussions are here:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple/iphone-2am-unauthorized-data-usage/td-p/1959513

and here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2450738

It seems no one has been able to get a definitive explanation of this activity so far.  Relevant discussions are here:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple/iphone-2am-unauthorized-data-usage/td-p/1959513

and here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2450738

Posted from my iPhone

15 of 29 (1,666 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 30, 2010 10:02:27 AM
    (0)
    Explorer

I do not believe your Device is accumulating usage during the night! If after reading the following you feel your data is being billied incorrectly, perform a 24hr test, take screen shots to prove your point to the CSR when you call to complain.  Pictures speak loader than words. Smiley Wink

I too had questions about the nightly phantom KB's.  But after contacting AT&T several times to complain, to no avail. I created a test to prove I was being gouged!!!  However, after performing the test found here (on several occasions) I found that my Device usage and AT&T's Bill usage usually match!

Here's what I found out: - AT&T calculates your data usage throughout the day not every time you perform a data event.  Usually the last calculation is done in the AM hours following the day of usage. The Usage on the Bill represents the usage that actually occured the day before. 

The events on your device appear as sent and received.  However all the events on the bill will appear as sent but it is actually sent + received.  

The images below taken from my device should explain this.

Device usage for the day of 6/28 12am - 6/28 10pm:-

DeviceUsage

Bill usage for the day of 6/28 12am - 6/28 10pm:-

BillUsage

I do not believe your Device is accumulating usage during the night! If after reading the following you feel your data is being billied incorrectly, perform a 24hr test, take screen shots to prove your point to the CSR when you call to complain.  Pictures speak loader than words. Smiley Wink

I too had questions about the nightly phantom KB's.  But after contacting AT&T several times to complain, to no avail. I created a test to prove I was being gouged!!!  However, after performing the test found here (on several occasions) I found that my Device usage and AT&T's Bill usage usually match!

Here's what I found out: - AT&T calculates your data usage throughout the day not every time you perform a data event.  Usually the last calculation is done in the AM hours following the day of usage. The Usage on the Bill represents the usage that actually occured the day before. 

The events on your device appear as sent and received.  However all the events on the bill will appear as sent but it is actually sent + received.  

The images below taken from my device should explain this.

Device usage for the day of 6/28 12am - 6/28 10pm:-

DeviceUsage

Bill usage for the day of 6/28 12am - 6/28 10pm:-

BillUsage

16 of 29 (1,601 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 3, 2010 6:15:24 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I disengaged all my apps and the data transfer stopped.  I then started reloading apps each day to see when (and if) the data transfer started.  I have narrowed it down to two possible and I'll finish the test tonight.  The two that it may be are Urbanspoon and Comcast.  I'm guessing Urbanspoon so I'm reloading Comcast today.  

I'll let you know how it goes.

If someone else uses Urbanspoon and Comcast and is also experiencing the nightly data transfer please confirm my experiment.  Turn off one or the other and check for your 2 am data transfer.

I disengaged all my apps and the data transfer stopped.  I then started reloading apps each day to see when (and if) the data transfer started.  I have narrowed it down to two possible and I'll finish the test tonight.  The two that it may be are Urbanspoon and Comcast.  I'm guessing Urbanspoon so I'm reloading Comcast today.  

I'll let you know how it goes.

If someone else uses Urbanspoon and Comcast and is also experiencing the nightly data transfer please confirm my experiment.  Turn off one or the other and check for your 2 am data transfer.

17 of 29 (1,537 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 3, 2010 6:52:17 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    Edited by dwill05 on Jul 3, 2010 at 6:53:03 AM

Looking at my on-line useage summary, it seems clear that the phone isn't actually sending that amount of data at 2am.  At ~2am, the total daily data useage is calculated and that is what is being shown.  My online useage summary from 6-27 to 7/1, exactly as displayed (no lines edited out).  Monday 6/28 through Thursday 7/1, I was at work during the day and checked email and surfed the web many times throughout the day, but the summary only shows one "use" per day, not the multiple individual events.  The number shown is the total useage for that day, not an amount that was used at 2am.  The 27th (Sunday) shows low as on the weekends, I usually don't use much at all, since I can use the home computer for mail and web, and I connect the phone to my Wifi.

This may be an issue of people looking at their bill for the first time since they dropped the unlimited plan.  To be honest, I never looked.  Since I had unlimited data, I never really cared.

07/0102:09 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent59205KB
    06/3002:18 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent55419KB
    06/2902:08 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent36173KB
    06/2802:46 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent56593KB
    06/2706:46 PMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent

20KB

Looking at my on-line useage summary, it seems clear that the phone isn't actually sending that amount of data at 2am.  At ~2am, the total daily data useage is calculated and that is what is being shown.  My online useage summary from 6-27 to 7/1, exactly as displayed (no lines edited out).  Monday 6/28 through Thursday 7/1, I was at work during the day and checked email and surfed the web many times throughout the day, but the summary only shows one "use" per day, not the multiple individual events.  The number shown is the total useage for that day, not an amount that was used at 2am.  The 27th (Sunday) shows low as on the weekends, I usually don't use much at all, since I can use the home computer for mail and web, and I connect the phone to my Wifi.

This may be an issue of people looking at their bill for the first time since they dropped the unlimited plan.  To be honest, I never looked.  Since I had unlimited data, I never really cared.

07/0102:09 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent59205KB
    06/3002:18 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent55419KB
    06/2902:08 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent36173KB
    06/2802:46 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent56593KB
    06/2706:46 PMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent

20KB

[ Edited ]
    18 of 29 (1,515 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 3, 2010 7:05:07 AM
    (0)
    Professor

Looking further at my online useage, it looks like AT&T changed when they caclulate useage.  Prior to 6/24, there were multiple uses every day, like they were listing each individual event.  From 6/24 - 6/26, I only see two "uses" a day, which are pretty big, but add up to around the same daily total as on previous days when each individual event was listed.  From 6/27 on, I only see one useage event a day, although I've used the phone multiple times during the day.

I'm 100% sure that what I'm seeing is is a change in how AT&T displays the daily data useage on the bill, not that my phone is sending a large amount of dat in the early morning hours.

Looking further at my online useage, it looks like AT&T changed when they caclulate useage.  Prior to 6/24, there were multiple uses every day, like they were listing each individual event.  From 6/24 - 6/26, I only see two "uses" a day, which are pretty big, but add up to around the same daily total as on previous days when each individual event was listed.  From 6/27 on, I only see one useage event a day, although I've used the phone multiple times during the day.

I'm 100% sure that what I'm seeing is is a change in how AT&T displays the daily data useage on the bill, not that my phone is sending a large amount of dat in the early morning hours.

19 of 29 (1,508 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 3, 2010 9:13:59 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

I bought a new iPhone 4G a little over a week ago and it's already blown through 325mb of data with little real use.

It appears that when it's checking emails it can use from 3mb to more typically 20mb and up to 50mb each time it checks. Sometimes it appears there is only a 120K usage but not sure what those are. Could be checking for email with nothing to get. I have gone through up to 100mb in a day!

ATT tech support didn't know what to day. Said I should contact Billing who obviously didn't know what to do. 

I went to an Apple Genius at the local ATT store and he didn't even take the time to really think it through, but we did reset the phone and reinstalled the OS. 

I am not playing any network games, haven't even downloaded them. I've only downloaded really popular apps and frankly, haven't run them much. I am running facebook with little activity.  I am doing the same things I've been doing on my blackberry and I was using less than 40mb per month. 

I don't have Urban spoon or comcast apps. Although I reloaded apps after I reset my phone I have not run most of them. 

I'm at a loss. I don't even know who to contact to figure this out at this point.

Anyone else having this problem? Better check your data usage.

Stephen Davis

I bought a new iPhone 4G a little over a week ago and it's already blown through 325mb of data with little real use.

It appears that when it's checking emails it can use from 3mb to more typically 20mb and up to 50mb each time it checks. Sometimes it appears there is only a 120K usage but not sure what those are. Could be checking for email with nothing to get. I have gone through up to 100mb in a day!

ATT tech support didn't know what to day. Said I should contact Billing who obviously didn't know what to do. 

I went to an Apple Genius at the local ATT store and he didn't even take the time to really think it through, but we did reset the phone and reinstalled the OS. 

I am not playing any network games, haven't even downloaded them. I've only downloaded really popular apps and frankly, haven't run them much. I am running facebook with little activity.  I am doing the same things I've been doing on my blackberry and I was using less than 40mb per month. 

I don't have Urban spoon or comcast apps. Although I reloaded apps after I reset my phone I have not run most of them. 

I'm at a loss. I don't even know who to contact to figure this out at this point.

Anyone else having this problem? Better check your data usage.

Stephen Davis

20 of 29 (1,488 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 5, 2010 9:28:40 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

Interesting...I was at my parents yesterday and hooked up to his wi-fi. There is an entry that is nearly at the instant I left his house for 12MB of data. There are also several entries on sprinkled throughout the day for little 8k-11k data sent entries.

I was on wi-fi the ENTIRE day while using the phone. The only time I was off wi-fi was when I was driving the hour from our house to my parents and the phone sat in the holster the entire time.

I've seen several friends data usage and they are spending more time on their 3GS phones and only running up 40MB to 150MB per month. Even 12MB in a day is too much. Something is going on somewhere. 

Interesting...I was at my parents yesterday and hooked up to his wi-fi. There is an entry that is nearly at the instant I left his house for 12MB of data. There are also several entries on sprinkled throughout the day for little 8k-11k data sent entries.

I was on wi-fi the ENTIRE day while using the phone. The only time I was off wi-fi was when I was driving the hour from our house to my parents and the phone sat in the holster the entire time.

I've seen several friends data usage and they are spending more time on their 3GS phones and only running up 40MB to 150MB per month. Even 12MB in a day is too much. Something is going on somewhere. 

21 of 29 (1,671 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 7, 2010 5:53:44 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Edited by rschild on Jul 7, 2010 at 5:54:55 AM

I have turned Comcast back on without seeing the large 2am data come back.  I see my email fetch every 15 minutes so I'm not seeing a summary as Dwill05 is posting.  Could this be an issue between 3G vs. the 4

I am going to start adding my apps back in (sans Urbanspoon) and watching my data usage.  I'll post back next week.

It is curious to hear from the iPhone 4 users and large data.  I'm going to delay upgrading and stick with my 3G until I hear more on the data issue.

I have turned Comcast back on without seeing the large 2am data come back.  I see my email fetch every 15 minutes so I'm not seeing a summary as Dwill05 is posting.  Could this be an issue between 3G vs. the 4

I am going to start adding my apps back in (sans Urbanspoon) and watching my data usage.  I'll post back next week.

It is curious to hear from the iPhone 4 users and large data.  I'm going to delay upgrading and stick with my 3G until I hear more on the data issue.

[ Edited ]
    22 of 29 (1,595 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 7, 2010 7:11:20 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Edited by the gryphon on Jul 7, 2010 at 7:27:38 AM

I'll be interested to see how this all plays out. I reviewed my last 3 months of usage (iphone 3GS) with customer care and only averaged about 400MB a month. (I'm also on wifi most of the time). Will be curious to see if there's now a difference, and why.

edit: I am intrigued...I reset my usage and am on wifi. I sent one email, and received a reply to it. My usage shows 1.0KB sent and 1.0KB received on "celluar network data".  Which, if I'm on wifi, should not be the case. I'm going to assume this is all a glitch and WILL be resolved by apple/AT&T. But would love to hear something definitive from forums mods.

I'll be interested to see how this all plays out. I reviewed my last 3 months of usage (iphone 3GS) with customer care and only averaged about 400MB a month. (I'm also on wifi most of the time). Will be curious to see if there's now a difference, and why.

edit: I am intrigued...I reset my usage and am on wifi. I sent one email, and received a reply to it. My usage shows 1.0KB sent and 1.0KB received on "celluar network data".  Which, if I'm on wifi, should not be the case. I'm going to assume this is all a glitch and WILL be resolved by apple/AT&T. But would love to hear something definitive from forums mods.

[ Edited ]
    23 of 29 (1,573 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 7, 2010 7:37:00 AM
    (0)
    Expert

the gryphon wrote:

So would I, updated a 3gs to OS4, removed all 3rd party applications, reset the usage statistics on 06/30/10 @ 2:32 PM to the time of this post, the the Cellular Network Data readings in the Settings panel show the following data consumed

Sent 96.0 KB

Recieved - 428 KB

This 3GS has been sitting in a cradle, wireless is off

the gryphon wrote:

So would I, updated a 3gs to OS4, removed all 3rd party applications, reset the usage statistics on 06/30/10 @ 2:32 PM to the time of this post, the the Cellular Network Data readings in the Settings panel show the following data consumed

Sent 96.0 KB

Recieved - 428 KB

24 of 29 (1,557 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 7, 2010 7:51:43 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Edited by the gryphon on Jul 7, 2010 at 8:05:17 AM

wingrider01 wrote:

Sent 96.0 KB

Recieved - 428 KB

So if wireless is off, then we can't be blaming "sleep mode" causing the phone to switch from wifi to cellular...

It's got to be an accounting/technical issue.

edit: I switched to airplane mode. Sent a photo. Ran a speedtest. And saw no change in usage. I turned airplane mode off and usage went up 10kb instantly. Interesting.

The 2am phenomenon is likely different, probably some sort of daily totalling. But using data while on wifi (seemingly) is something different me thinks.

wingrider01 wrote:

Sent 96.0 KB

Recieved - 428 KB

So if wireless is off, then we can't be blaming "sleep mode" causing the phone to switch from wifi to cellular...

edit: I switched to airplane mode. Sent a photo. Ran a speedtest. And saw no change in usage. I turned airplane mode off and usage went up 10kb instantly. Interesting.

The 2am phenomenon is likely different, probably some sort of daily totalling. But using data while on wifi (seemingly) is something different me thinks.

[ Edited ]
    25 of 29 (1,549 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 7, 2010 9:27:58 AM
    (0)
    Guru

dwill05 wrote:

FWIW--I checked my data usage via OLAM and it shows multiple same-day entries (three, in fact) as recently as 7/4 (my billing cycle just started so I can't see what the individual daily entries were for the previous billing cycle); also FWIW--I don't see any early-morning (e.g., 2 AM) data usage entries (so far) under the OLAM Data Detail section.

dwill05 wrote:

FWIW--I checked my data usage via OLAM and it shows multiple same-day entries (three, in fact) as recently as 7/4 (my billing cycle just started so I can't see what the individual daily entries were for the previous billing cycle); also FWIW--I don't see any early-morning (e.g., 2 AM) data usage entries (so far) under the OLAM Data Detail section.

26 of 29 (1,517 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 7, 2010 10:08:24 AM
    (0)
    Expert

the gryphon wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Sent 96.0 KB

Recieved - 428 KB

again the phone has been on for 7 days, total data usage sent AND recieved over the cellular network is less then 1 MB, that is the point of the post

the gryphon wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Sent 96.0 KB

Recieved - 428 KB

again the phone has been on for 7 days, total data usage sent AND recieved over the cellular network is less then 1 MB, that is the point of the post

27 of 29 (1,505 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 7, 2010 1:21:05 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Did you guys accept the option to send disagnotic info to Apple when setting up your iPhone? That could be the reason and source.

Did you guys accept the option to send disagnotic info to Apple when setting up your iPhone? That could be the reason and source.

28 of 29 (1,477 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 13, 2010 11:28:41 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

I seem to have solved my problem with my iPhone using huge amounts of data.

The problem was that every time it checked AND received an email it would say that it had received at least 3MB of data. You can imagine how this can add up. Sometimes 100mb in a day.

The solution was creating a new email account and THEN deleting the old one. I deleted the old one and created a new one last time and it didn't help at all. Not sure why and it might not really make a difference, but I'm trying to think of every little detail that might have had an affect on the outcome.

How to tell if you are having this problem.
    Set email to receive manually and make sure PUSH is off. Go to the usage data ON YOUR IPHONE and note the mb of data used. Then go to your email account and check your email. If there isn't any email, send one to yourself. 

After you have received your emails check your usage. It should not have gone up, or only gone up 1mb. Try it several times.

While the people at ATT and Apple were very nice and did their best, they really didn't help a lot. AT&T's drove me the craziest as their solution is to just spend more money. She was patient and nice and did everything she could though, just wrong.

I may be jumping the gun, and I may be back, but so far I've used only two or three MB of data today.

Using the usage data on the iphone is the best way to track usage problems. Start by checking every hour or just before you start to run a particular app. Put in a note in your note app to keep track and narrow usage down. www.ATT.com is only good to show totals for the day, and even then, it isn't very helpful It doesn't even show which way the data was going.

Good luck everyone!

I seem to have solved my problem with my iPhone using huge amounts of data.

The problem was that every time it checked AND received an email it would say that it had received at least 3MB of data. You can imagine how this can add up. Sometimes 100mb in a day.

The solution was creating a new email account and THEN deleting the old one. I deleted the old one and created a new one last time and it didn't help at all. Not sure why and it might not really make a difference, but I'm trying to think of every little detail that might have had an affect on the outcome.

How to tell if you are having this problem.
    Set email to receive manually and make sure PUSH is off. Go to the usage data ON YOUR IPHONE and note the mb of data used. Then go to your email account and check your email. If there isn't any email, send one to yourself. 

After you have received your emails check your usage. It should not have gone up, or only gone up 1mb. Try it several times.

While the people at ATT and Apple were very nice and did their best, they really didn't help a lot. AT&T's drove me the craziest as their solution is to just spend more money. She was patient and nice and did everything she could though, just wrong.

I may be jumping the gun, and I may be back, but so far I've used only two or three MB of data today.

Using the usage data on the iphone is the best way to track usage problems. Start by checking every hour or just before you start to run a particular app. Put in a note in your note app to keep track and narrow usage down. www.ATT.com is only good to show totals for the day, and even then, it isn't very helpful It doesn't even show which way the data was going.

Good luck everyone!

29 of 29 (1,381 Views)
    Advanced
    You must be signed in to add attachments