Signal loss when held in hand - Need data

Mentor

Signal loss when held in hand - Need data

Does anyone here notice a loss of signal when holding the iPhone 4 with bare hands?  Bridging both sides of the phone, or bridging the GSM and WiFi aerials is causing loss of service for some people.

Report here if you are or are not having this issue.

Message 1 of 10 (1,230 Views)
Teacher

Re: Signal loss when held in hand - Need data

You are magnetic. LOL  No for real, that is very odd. Does it work when you are not holding the phone but you have it placed on a flat surface?

Message 2 of 10 (1,225 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

I have the same problem.  Reception with my phone has been very bad compared to my old 3Gs phone.  Have to lay it down to get better reception.  If I hold the phone in my hand, reception goes bad and lose calls.  Also, had to use earphone and microphone to talk, else people cant hear me.

Message 3 of 10 (1,214 Views)
Mentor

yeah i've noticed that as well...hopefully that issue will be resolved when I get a case to put on it and reduce conductivity

Message 4 of 10 (1,211 Views)
Teacher

Try resetting the network settings under general in the settings app.

Message 5 of 10 (1,207 Views)
Mentor

I don't have my phone yet.  I'm picking mine up tomorrow.  I'm not saying I have the problem, I'm just asking to gather some data as others have reported it.

Doing experiments with other GSM and CDMA phones I have, I see they all lose a bar or so when held in hand versus sitting flat on a table, including my iPhone 2G.

Message 6 of 10 (1,201 Views)
Teacher

Depending on where you are located, the AT&T signal might be weak. I have been told by the former CEO of AT&T in Louisiana that congestion within AT&T Network will be spotty and in some cases may be very weak. AT&T is working on the issue but not at a fast enough pace for all the current useage.

Message 7 of 10 (1,185 Views)
Professor

A number of threads on this.  I have the dropping signal strength, but sometimes it seems related to holding the phones, sometimes not.  I can pick up the phone, and after a few minutes the signal drops from 5 bars to three.  Put the phone down, and it doesn't immediately go back to 5 bars, like you would expect if it was related to me touching it.  Pick it back up, and it stays at 5 bars.  Tried touching both the left side and bottom, and it still stays at 5 bars.

It seems if there were a direct correlation, it would be pick up phone, signal strength drops.  Put phone down, signal strength goes back up.  Pick up phone again, strength drops, and so on.

Message 8 of 10 (1,096 Views)
Mentor

Just about the same experience for me (dropping from 5 bars to 3, but not immediately recovering).  BUT, I haven't noticed a decrease in call quality.  Some articles I read said how Apple has reported it's an issue with simply displaying the amount of bars. 

I've been using the Speedtest application, which tests the data transfer rates, I also don't notice a difference when holding the phone vs. setting it down. 

Message 9 of 10 (1,002 Views)

[ Edited ]

Download the free Speedtest.net Speed Test app from Ookla and experiment. I'm finding that touching the gap between antennas on the lower left hand corner causes an immediate and severe drop in transfer speed while the test is running. If I hold the phone the way I've been holding my old 3G for over a year now, the test barely runs at all.

EDIT: Make sure you have Wi-Fi turned off, obviously. I have a feeling lots of the "I don't notice anything wrong" people are forgetting this important step.

Message 10 of 10 (969 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.