Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 4, 2007
7:01:56 PM
View profile
Sierra USBConnect 881 internet connection issue, Please someone help me !!
Edited by Tacoco on Dec 4, 2007 at 7:07:14 PM

I Everyone,

I bought Sierra 881 USB for my dell laptop and installed CD and Driver is recognized and LED light is both green.

Display shows high signal strength and everything seems OK, But when I click on internet, it does not connect. 

TCP/IP Firewall is off.

What I am doing wrong?

Oh, I have another Sierra 881 which is connected to the Accer laptop, and of course, it is works fine with Accer laptop, But once I connect this 881, same thing with other 881, it does not connect to internet.

Please help

Message Edited by Tacoco on 12-04-2007 07:07:14 PM

I Everyone,

I bought Sierra 881 USB for my dell laptop and installed CD and Driver is recognized and LED light is both green.

Display shows high signal strength and everything seems OK, But when I click on internet, it does not connect. 

TCP/IP Firewall is off.

What I am doing wrong?

Oh, I have another Sierra 881 which is connected to the Accer laptop, and of course, it is works fine with Accer laptop, But once I connect this 881, same thing with other 881, it does not connect to internet.

Please help

Message Edited by Tacoco on 12-04-2007 07:07:14 PM

Sierra USBConnect 881 internet connection issue, Please someone help me !!

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2007 8:59:34 AM
(0)
Teacher
I received an 881U last Wed.  It worked perfectly on 3 computers outside of the 3G network till Saturday.  Then it quit connecting, even though it showed 5 bars of signal.  It would connect if I travelled into an area with 3G though.  After about 6 hours of increasingly frustrating calls to ATT, who bounced me from one office to the other (one guy even suggested that I drive around to sample other towers!), I finally demanded a new card be sent.  Beware of this new card.  The problem is that ATT tech support is not capable of supporting it.  While they were polite, they were more or less incompetent to solve the problem in a customer friendly manner.  I'll try the new one and send it back before the 30 day trial is up if it doesn't work as advertised.
I received an 881U last Wed.  It worked perfectly on 3 computers outside of the 3G network till Saturday.  Then it quit connecting, even though it showed 5 bars of signal.  It would connect if I travelled into an area with 3G though.  After about 6 hours of increasingly frustrating calls to ATT, who bounced me from one office to the other (one guy even suggested that I drive around to sample other towers!), I finally demanded a new card be sent.  Beware of this new card.  The problem is that ATT tech support is not capable of supporting it.  While they were polite, they were more or less incompetent to solve the problem in a customer friendly manner.  I'll try the new one and send it back before the 30 day trial is up if it doesn't work as advertised.

Re: Sierra USBConnect 881 internet connection issue, Please someone help me !!

2 of 8 (7,647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2008 7:24:40 AM
(0)
Teacher
I just purchased the 881 and could not connect to the Internet either. I spent 3 days on the phone with AT&T tech support and tried everything. No luck. I finally disconnected the wireless router in my apartment and VOILA it works fine. I finally convinced tech support that the 881 doesn't like other wireless routers nearby. Disabling or disconnecting the other wireless network connection in the Network Connections section of XP doesn't work either. You need to go to the Device Manager and disable the adapter that is installed in your laptop or kill the wireless feature on you rlaptop some other way. I know this is a couple of months late but I hope it helps.
I just purchased the 881 and could not connect to the Internet either. I spent 3 days on the phone with AT&T tech support and tried everything. No luck. I finally disconnected the wireless router in my apartment and VOILA it works fine. I finally convinced tech support that the 881 doesn't like other wireless routers nearby. Disabling or disconnecting the other wireless network connection in the Network Connections section of XP doesn't work either. You need to go to the Device Manager and disable the adapter that is installed in your laptop or kill the wireless feature on you rlaptop some other way. I know this is a couple of months late but I hope it helps.

3 of 8 (6,941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2008 9:58:47 AM
(0)
Mentor
dilorenzoc,

That's not strictly true. WiFi operates on different frequencies than cellular bands, and there should be no interference with the AirCard. (Imagine the fallout if every cell phone would die near a WiFi hotspot).

What's much more likely is that your computer is giving the WiFi connection precendence over the 881, and the 881 is disconnecting as a "help" for you. Sierra Watcher is also set up this way. Given that most wired LAN and WiFi connections will be faster (and cheaper) than the data coming over the cellular network, the AirCard will disconnect when those are present.

I also learned this the hard way - I couldn't connect with my Sierra card until I unplugged/disabled my cable internet connection while testing at home. And truthfully - most users would be better using WiFi if it was present.

So your advice about disabling your WiFi to allow the AirCard to work is true, but for different reasons than you may think.

coreyinoz
dilorenzoc,

That's not strictly true. WiFi operates on different frequencies than cellular bands, and there should be no interference with the AirCard. (Imagine the fallout if every cell phone would die near a WiFi hotspot).

What's much more likely is that your computer is giving the WiFi connection precendence over the 881, and the 881 is disconnecting as a "help" for you. Sierra Watcher is also set up this way. Given that most wired LAN and WiFi connections will be faster (and cheaper) than the data coming over the cellular network, the AirCard will disconnect when those are present.

I also learned this the hard way - I couldn't connect with my Sierra card until I unplugged/disabled my cable internet connection while testing at home. And truthfully - most users would be better using WiFi if it was present.

So your advice about disabling your WiFi to allow the AirCard to work is true, but for different reasons than you may think.

coreyinoz

4 of 8 (6,921 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2008 10:13:12 AM
(0)
Teacher
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense and I hope someone tells ATT&T Data Support about it. If they were aware of this we could have cut our conversation down from 3 days to 3 minutes. If I understand what you have said but it disturbs me even more. Here is why. I bought the card so I wouldn't have to pay WI-FI Connect charges at airports, hotels, etc. If what you say is true then every time I come near a WI-FI signnal with the card, the card(881) will disconnect. Did I get that right. If so, then every time I want to use the 881 card I need to go into the device manager and disable my network adapter. By doing this I will also miss out on the opportunity to use free WI-FI offered by some hotels. I can't believe this is what the Sierra people intended.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense and I hope someone tells ATT&T Data Support about it. If they were aware of this we could have cut our conversation down from 3 days to 3 minutes. If I understand what you have said but it disturbs me even more. Here is why. I bought the card so I wouldn't have to pay WI-FI Connect charges at airports, hotels, etc. If what you say is true then every time I come near a WI-FI signnal with the card, the card(881) will disconnect. Did I get that right. If so, then every time I want to use the 881 card I need to go into the device manager and disable my network adapter. By doing this I will also miss out on the opportunity to use free WI-FI offered by some hotels. I can't believe this is what the Sierra people intended.

5 of 8 (6,917 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2008 10:20:29 AM
(0)
Mentor
dilorenzoc,

Good question - I don't think so.

I believe that once the AirCard connection is established, it won't magically drop to let the WiFi step in. I think that the distinction is if you have a connection already established. And I'm guessing that your WiFi at home was autoconnect - much like I had my laptop already connected to the wired internet when I was trying to connect the AirCard for the first time.

Regarding pay WiFi in airports and others, these also wouldn't be connected until you paid, so there would be no preceeding connection when trying to fire up the AirCard.

I'm not 100% sure on the above, but it's what I understand.

As a side note, consider Sierra's own tech support your escalation path. It's easy to see that they'll have a better grip of this stuff than the well-meaning AT&T staff who may be supporting 1000 devices.

coreyinoz
dilorenzoc,

Good question - I don't think so.

I believe that once the AirCard connection is established, it won't magically drop to let the WiFi step in. I think that the distinction is if you have a connection already established. And I'm guessing that your WiFi at home was autoconnect - much like I had my laptop already connected to the wired internet when I was trying to connect the AirCard for the first time.

Regarding pay WiFi in airports and others, these also wouldn't be connected until you paid, so there would be no preceeding connection when trying to fire up the AirCard.

I'm not 100% sure on the above, but it's what I understand.

As a side note, consider Sierra's own tech support your escalation path. It's easy to see that they'll have a better grip of this stuff than the well-meaning AT&T staff who may be supporting 1000 devices.

coreyinoz

6 of 8 (6,917 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2008 6:43:23 PM
(0)
Guru
Generally it is best to shut off your WiFi radio when using an Aircard for improving battery life if nothing else.

You should be able to change the interface metric settings in TCP/IP to increase the priority of a network connection adapter if you wish. The lower the number, the higher the priority.

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp/change-the-interface-metric-on-a-network-adapter/

Some connection software such as IBM (Lenovo) Access Connections is capable of automatic location switching, so if one connection is lost, a different connection will be attempted.
Generally it is best to shut off your WiFi radio when using an Aircard for improving battery life if nothing else.

You should be able to change the interface metric settings in TCP/IP to increase the priority of a network connection adapter if you wish. The lower the number, the higher the priority.

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp/change-the-interface-metric-on-a-network-adapter/

Some connection software such as IBM (Lenovo) Access Connections is capable of automatic location switching, so if one connection is lost, a different connection will be attempted.

7 of 8 (6,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2008 3:59:41 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

dilorenzoc wrote:

dilorenzoc,

There is no need to go into Dev man to disable your Wi-Fi card in Dev man every time you connect to the GPRS network.  Within ACM it is possible to prioritize GSM over Wi-Fi.  Try this...

dilorenzoc wrote:

dilorenzoc,

There is no need to go into Dev man to disable your Wi-Fi card in Dev man every time you connect to the GPRS network.  Within ACM it is possible to prioritize GSM over Wi-Fi.  Try this...

8 of 8 (6,745 Views)