Should I get a W518a or ???

Contributor

Should I get a W518a or ???

I currently have a W760 and I like it. I have no data plan and don't text. I use the phone for calls, MP3 podcasts, and sometimes a camera/ video camera and I always use stereo bluetooths and I like the playlist feature.

My phone is wearing out and I can't replace it with the same. My options are LG GU295, Samsung a777, and Sony Ericsson W518a

I hear bad things about the w518a but I'm not sure it would apply to my use. Which should I choose?

Message 1 of 8 (1,366 Views)
Scholar

Re: Should I get a W518a or ???

Well I certainly would not recommend the lesser brands and I do have a W518. The one problem I see that might bother you is the front "music" keys seem to be overly sensitive. I have had it set off an MP3 whilst in belt case. This could be unacceptable depending on circumstances. I should note that this observed behaviour is after turning it into a W508 as I find the issued branding to be insufferable. I did not use it enough before nuking it to say whether that sensitivity is there as issued. I am thinking that you could try one out and check that PDQ so you could return it if necessary.
Message 2 of 8 (1,320 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for the response. What issues was there with the branding? With no data plan or text would the issues effect me?

Message 3 of 8 (1,293 Views)
Scholar

Why sure.  Already using a branded S/E you have seen and are apparently comfortable with the presence of un-removable crapware trying to sell you all kinds of services.  The stuff should be very similar on W518, and should not be consequential for your usage.

For my usage though, the elimination of S/E mail tool is totally unacceptable as well as the inability to load and/or use products like Opera Mini and gmail and eBuddy.

Hint:  Great deal currently in go phone store on refurb w518!

Message 4 of 8 (1,281 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Update!  Using W518 today and discovered a feature that negates my comment about the front buttons being too sensitive.  That is a lock switch!  Rather unusual for a flip phone but serves a purpose.  Set that and you get a message:  "Use the slider on phone's side to unlock."   Does not affect inside keys.  Very nice.

Message 5 of 8 (1,212 Views)
Master

tszefr wrote:

Update!  Using W518 today and discovered a feature that negates my comment about the front buttons being too sensitive.  That is a lock switch!  Rather unusual for a flip phone but serves a purpose.  Set that and you get a message:  "Use the slider on phone's side to unlock."   Does not affect inside keys.  Very nice.

Thank you for the update "tip" - I just bought the prepaid W518a as I've really enjoyed my W580i, and I figured it would be hard to go wrong for $25 for the additional features of the W518a (3G and imbedded GPS).

The only disappointment I've noticed so far is I don't think the music player is as good as what is on my W580i (not a huge issue, but disappointing no less).  Maybe it's just the unit I received - but there is more static and the Walkman sounds weaker on the W518a (with MegaBass on).  This is even using a Moto S9 stereo BT and playing music from an M2 that I moved between the phones.  So it's not just an external speaker issue or an issue with the recording(s).  That said, I've always felt my W580i does a really nice job in that area, so maybe there just wasn't any way to go but to be "less impressed".  lol.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 6 of 8 (1,149 Views)
Master

The other thing that I've noticed after playing around with the W518a more last night, although I doubt it is specific to this model, but I cannot tell that browsing is really any faster with the W518a than it is with any of my older non-3G devices. Smiley Sad  So that's somewhat of a disappointment as well - although most of my data use is via the e-mail client where speed isn't all that critical.  (Yes, the phone shows it's using the 3G network with the "H" indicator displayed.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 7 of 8 (1,108 Views)
Mentor

i had 1.  just get a nice protective case for it. i dropped it once and it was never the same> my w810i was the best phone i ever had and it's still my backup phone

Message 8 of 8 (969 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.